Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Lunar Obscurity ❯ The Family ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Lunar Obscurity
 
Chapter 2 -
 
It was a very tense trip back to the house. I was so tired that even at the slow pace we were going, I was having trouble keeping up. I was surprised that we were going at such at such a speed, but it did give me the opportunity to really watch the others. It was very interesting and I had the feeling that I was missing out on a lot of things that were going on. The wolves stayed close, but not too close. The larger brown one that I know as Jacob was leading the group and Edward was by his side and the one known as Paul was following the group, no doubt making sure I couldn't escape. It still amazed me how close they were. That Edward referred to them as “friends”. It made me wonder if it would change the way they look at me. If they would still help me once they knew.
The short female named Alice was skipping at Edward's side and occasionally glanced back at me, where I followed them. Her eyebrows were drawn in concentration and confusion and she looked back at Edward meaningfully.
He looked up at her and said, “I know.” A silent moment passed and then he said, “I don't know why.” Alice gave him a look of frustration, and turned her head away to look back at me.
I sighed and averted my eyes, only to meet the eyes of the older male, Carlisle. He smiled kindly at me as he walked at my side. “Please don't take it personally. Alice becomes frustrated when she can't see all that's going on.”
It seemed like there was a hidden meaning behind those words, buy my mind was so overloaded at this point that I couldn't begin to comprehend how. There were a lot of things I knew my brain was overlooking and putting in the back of my mind to dwell upon later. I knew I should have been surprised that the others were allowing me back to their home so quickly. It should have made me wonder when all aggression disappeared as soon as Edward said it was okay. It should have surprised me that Edward answered questions that I was only thinking. And there was the wolf situation. There was a lot to surprise me about that. These thoughts were all floating around in my head, but I pushed them to the corner and focused on one thing. Keeping my feet moving. I vaguely heard Carlisle talking, but tuned it out, watching my feet.
I was so focused on staying upright, that it surprised me when I walked into a clearing. Looking up startled, I noticed that we were walking into a backyard. There was a large house directly in front of me. In front of the house standing in a line were 5 people. All of them were pale, beautiful, and had bright golden eyes. There were three females and two males. Two of the females looked hesitant and slightly worried. The other three had a look of hostility. A twinge of fear broke through my exhaustion. Edward walked directly to the female on the end and grasped her waist whispering in her ear too quietly for me to hear. A look of surprise flashed across her face as she looked back at me.
Carlisle stayed beside me and Jacob went to stand beside Edward. Paul remained behind us in the tree line. Edward looked at the rest of the vampires gathered and said, “She is not of any danger to us. She came looking for our help. We should give her a chance to explain herself.”
Most of the group relaxed after that announcement, earning a small question of curiosity in my mind. I was looking toward the female at Edward's side when I saw a small brown head of curls peek out from behind her. My system registered a slight shock as my brain jumped automatically to the myths that I had been told as a child. The myths of the “Immortal Children”. Surely this child had the beauty and the intelligence behind the shinning eyes that would indicate an immortal child. But if I focused, I could hear a soft and quick heartbeat from that direction. I only vaguely remember the story I was told, but I was sure that an immortal child wouldn't have a heartbeat.
Confusion pulled at my mind as I looked up at Edward. He had the same penetrating gaze as before and he looked a little confused as well. I took a small comfort in the fact that I wasn't the only who didn't understand completely what was going on. Carlisle looked forward at the group in front of him and said, “Why don't we go inside.” They nodded and turned as one and walked into the house. I followed behind as Carlisle walked with me. I noticed that the wolf Jacob exchanged a quick glace with Edward and after the vampire nodded, the wolf bounded into the trees. I let it slip through my mind and followed the group into the house. I took no notice of the details of the inside of the house except that there were many windows letting what little light filtered through the clouds into the house.
Upon entry to the dining room, most of the group was already sitting around the large oak table. I glanced around with a slight feeling of panic as I was surrounded by a large group of very strong vampires. Past memories bubbled to the surface of my mind and I quickly pushed them back. No need to freak out at this point. I met the gaze of Edward and he nodded to a seat on his right. I quickly made my way there and sat down. At that time, a tall, dark man sauntered into the room. He found a seat by the female and child on the other side of Edward and looked curiously at me. I was shocked to conclude that it was one of the wolves due to the fact that his heart beat loudly in his chest.
The silence in the room was unnerving and I fidgeted slightly at the table. Everyone's eyes were for me waiting for me to explain. I tried to think of something to tell them, but my mind shifted through details and I was unsure of what to start with. A blonde had looked at me earlier with hostility sighed loudly and rolled her eyes. “What is the hold-up?”
I tried again to find a place to begin and my mind reeled. Edward shot a dirty look at the blonde and then looked to me. In a kind voice, he said, “Why don't you try starting at the beginning?”
I nodded and then met the eyes of those around the table. Before I could explain why I was here and what it had to do with them, I would have to tell them about who, and what I was. I took a deep breath and started telling the story of my life.