Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Lunar Obscurity ❯ The Story ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Lunar Obscurity
 
Chapter 3 - The Story
 
I nodded and then met the eyes of those around the table. Before I could explain why I was here and what it had to do with them, I would have to tell them about who, and what I was. I took a deep breath and started telling the story of my life.
“My name is Aysel and I come from Turkey.” I paused, took a deep breath, and continued. “My father was a vampire.” I heard simultaneous gasps from around the table and they all started talking at once.
“What?” Jacob said.
“How is that possible?” Alice asked.
“I can hear a heartbeat!” The blonde exclaimed.
“Edward, is she lying?” The tough looking male said.
“No, she is telling the truth.” Edward replied
“Then she must be like Renesmee?” The brunette beside Edward said. The child sitting on the brunette's lap looked back and forth between Edward and I.
Confused, I looked at Edward. “Who is `Renesmee'.” I asked, stumbling over the strange name.
The child grinned widely, “I am!” she said in a sing-song voice.
Confused, I looked between the child and Edward. Edward smiled and said “Aysel, this is Renesmee. She is my daughter.”
“How is that possible? Isn't this your mate?” I asked, pointing to the brunette by his side.
He smiled again and looked lovingly at the brunette. “Yes, this is Bella. She is my wife. She was still human when she gave birth to Nessie, or Renesmee. I changed her shortly after that.”
I nodded I replied looking toward Bella. “I understand. I am surprised that you survived.”
She smiled and said “It was close. I was very lucky I had Edward and the rest of the family there.”
“I think that this is a good time to introduce the rest of our family”, Carlisle said. “This is Esme”, he said gesturing to the woman at his side. “She is my wife.” He then pointed to the angry looking blonde and the tough looking male and said, “This is Rosalie and her husband Emmitt and this is Bella and Edward, as you know, and their daughter Renesmee.” Then, pointing toward the female I knew as Alice and the male to her side, he said “Alice you know and this is her husband Jasper. I have been with them since they were changed. For all intents and purposes, they are my children.”
“You are a father to us Carlisle.” Edward said with a smile.
Carlisle smiled back and said, “And finally, is Jacob. He is... a friend of the family.”
I noticed the slight hesitation of Jacob's title, but didn't spare a moment to think about it. My mind was completely focused on this group of people sitting in front of me. The introduction replayed in my mind. I did notice how he called them a `family' and not a `coven'. I noticed how they were introduced as `husband' and `wife' and not `mate'. I noted the looks they shared. Not the looks of lust or safety in unity, but looks of actual love. My gaze fell upon the child, Renesmee. She looked back in interest. I remembered the scene from the yard and how Edward embraced his wife. How Bella hid her child behind her in caution, just like any mother would do.
The realization hit me hard and turned my stomach into acid. I found that I couldn't meet the eye of anyone then as the thoughts coursed through my mind. They were a family. A real family. Not a coven that gathers together for safety in numbers. This was real, with true emotions. I cringed. How could I bring this upon them? I had never even thought of this possibility. I had never seen such a thing. I never knew it was possible. How could I bring a family as closely bound as theirs into my disputes? A stranger to them? How could I allow them to even consider helping me, and thus, bringing them into danger? It was wrong. In every way possible wrong. Again, I spared a moment to where the wolves fit into this family.
“Aysel.” Hearing my name startled me out of the spiral of thoughts and I looked up to meet the eyes of Edward. “Why don't you tell us your story, and then we will talk about it.”
In confusion, I wondered again at how it seemed he knew what I was thinking. I pushed that thought aside and looked around the table, my gaze landing on Renesmee. “I am, in a way, like Renesmee.” I started. “My father was a vampire, in that way we are similar. But that is where the similarities end. My mother was not exactly a human.”
The faces around the table, except Edward of course, mirrored the same look of confusion.
“But, she couldn't have been a vampire.” Carlisle stated.
“What else if not a vampire or a human?” Rosalie asked.
Everyone stared at me expectantly and I shifted my gaze until I met the eyes of Jacob. He stared back in confusion. I watched as realization dawned across his face as he whispered, “That's not possible.” The silence in the room was deafening. Only the sound of three heart beats and three lungs filling and emptying could be heard. I thought for a moment that the vampires had turned to stone. The only thing that changed with them was their expressions.
I took a deep breath and said, “My father was a vampire and my mother was a werewolf, or shape shifter. Whichever term you would prefer.”
“Th…th…That's not possible.” Jacob stuttered. “Our tribe is very unique. Our…ability is passed down through generations and bloodlines. There is no way that someone across the world could have our ability.”
I shook my head. “There is a way. Do you really think that every person born into that tribe, with that bloodline, stayed in La Push? No. Some left to go on to better things, some left just to get away. My mother decided to leave so she could see the world. And she did. Unfortunately, she ended up settling down rather close to a decent sized coven of vampires. Of course, at the time she had no idea. She didn't have a clue what was going on when her body changed. She only vaguely remembered the stories her old tribe told over campfires about `Cold ones' and `the protectors'. She'd never paid attention to the details because it was just a myth.” All eyes were trained on me as my story unfolded. Some looked on with disbelief, some with amazement. But all sat in silence as my voice filled the room.
“After her transformation was complete, she still didn't know why. All she knew was that there was something nearby and she didn't like the scent. It took all of her effort to not attack them right away. She, however, was drawn to them and her curiosity overrode her sense of self preservation. She began to watch these beings that moved with such grace, but smelled so wrong. It was only a matter of time before she would run into one.
“The confrontation that followed nearly cost her life. She was able to get far enough away to be safe, for the time, but she was so weak she was unable to stay in wolf form. She was left on the forest floor, human, and unable to move because of her injuries and exhaustion. She told me that she remembered looking up at the trees as they began to fade from her mind and then she blacked out.” No one said a word or made to question my story so far, so I continued.
“When she awoke, she could still see the trees above her head, but they were different. Looking around, she concluded she had been moved to a different clearing. Then she noticed the man standing at the edge of the clearing. He was staring at her. She recognized his pale skin and red eyes immediately and knew that she was going to die. However, at the same time, she felt drawn to him. She told me once that it was like breathing for the first time. So completely new. There was still the aversion and he still smelled terrible, but there was something different now. A new connection that completely overrode any of the other feelings.
“He told her how he had run across her and that the other coven was getting closer, so he moved her to a safer place. He then asked her what she was and why she smelled so bad. She tried to explain what little she knew about herself, but he seemed uninterested after he found out she was a werewolf. As he made to leave, she felt like part of her was leaving with him and panicked. She was, for the most part, healed by this time, and so she did the only thing she could think to do. She followed him.
“To make a long story short, she wouldn't let him leave her. She didn't know why, she was acting only on instincts. He got annoyed at first, but never attacked her. After awhile, he was drawn to her as well, and it wasn't long before they became mates. They truly loved one another. He never liked hunting humans before he met my mother, but once they were together, he decided to try and hunt like her. It was hard, but he knew it was right and that it pleased her.
“When they found out that my mother was with child, they didn't know what to do. The process was happening so fast that it scared them. Even with her accelerated healing, they didn't know if she would survive the delivery. But she did, barely. She told me that she felt like her life was complete now. She had a man that she loved and now had a child.” I said as looked to Edward, Bella, and Renesmee. Bella smiled in a way that looked like she knew that feeling.
“I grew very fast. By the time I was really one year old, I was physically and mentally 5. I remember a lot from my childhood, even when I was physically very young. I remember my father and mother and their love as I saw it. I remember the lessons they taught me. We lived in a little cabin in the middle of the woods. It wasn't very big, but it was perfect for us. It was a very happy time. It was almost like we were in a completely different world than anyone else. All by ourselves.” I sighed and looked at Edward again.
“Unfortunately, that happiness only lasted about two years. At that time, I was physically about ten years old, though my mind was a little more advanced than a normal child of that age. I remember being at home the day it happened. My father sudden came running into the house and my mother knew something was wrong the moment she saw him.” I closed my eyes as I told story as it played in my memories.
“'What is wrong.” She asked with frightened eyes.
“We have to get out of here. They are coming!” He replied.
“Who?”
He looked at her with dread in his eyes. “The Volturi.”
She gasped in horror. “Why?! Why here?!”
“I can only guess.” He replied. He grabbed my hand and pulled me toward the back of the house, but suddenly stopped. “It's too late. They're here.” They shared a look of despair and then looked at me. My mind was frantic. I didn't understand who these `Volturi' were and why they were coming, but I knew that my parents were scared, and that was something I had never seen. My father pulled me back toward the cellar door that was in the middle of the room and opened it to reveal the room below.
“Aysel,” he said turning me to look him in the eyes. “You need to go in here and you must promise me something. Do you promise?” He asked. I nodded my head unable to speak. “You can't make any noise and you have to stay here until we come and get you. Do you understand?” He hugged me quickly as did my mother and I went into the cellar. As they closed and locked the door behind me, I saw great fear on their faces. I heard them leave the house immediately after and run into the woods.
“I strained my hearing, but I couldn't hear anything. I sat in that cellar for what seemed like eternity, but was probably only a day or so. I came out against my father's wishes because I feared something happened to them. I followed the most recent scent into the woods and shortly after, came across my mother's body and what remained of a smoldering pile of ashes.” My voice shook and I took a deep breath as I tried to steady voice. I had never told the story of my parents' death, and it was more difficult than I thought it would be saying it out loud. I could feel stinging at the corner over my eyes indicating tears starting to form, but I pushed them back. I needed to finish this story, or I wouldn't be able to get through the rest.
“I lived off of what my mother and father taught me in hunting for another year or so until I was old enough to get the answers to my parents' death. I went from coven, to clan, to individual vampires asking if anyone knew anything about what had happened. Most didn't. It wasn't until about four months ago that I found someone who knew something.
“The vampire I had found used to be a witness for the Volturi and had been there for the death of my parents. He told me that the reason they were killed was simply because they were together. He told me that the Volturi never allowed anything with an uncertain future to exist, mostly because of fear that it would destroy the world , and law, that they had created. He also said that the guard had ordered that the two come back to Italy with them and allow Aro and the others to examine the situations in person to determine if they were guilty or innocent.
“ 'They refused to go anywhere, and so they were determined guilty on the spot and killed. Although they did put up a pretty good fight until the twins got involved.” He said. I knew that they didn't want to go because it would have been revealed to the Volturi that I existed. And from what I learned, I was something that the Volturi didn't want to let live. My parents must have known that, and that is why they were killed.” I took a deep breath and looked around the table. All eyes were still trained on me. I thought hard about what I wanted to say next. I knew that I probably wouldn't get away with not telling the rest of the story. I glanced at Edward and he smiled confirming that thought. I had to tell them the rest.
“That was where the situation, and my life, went from bad to worse. The vampire recognized the difference in my scent as the same (or very close to it anyway) as the female wolf he had witnessed being killed. He figured it out immediately. Why they faced death instead of going to Italy. He smiled and said, “I am going to be rewarded for this. They will be very pleased with me.” Then, he tried to capture me and take me to the Volturi. I managed to escape and went into hiding. I was able to blend in pretty well with humans and went from city to city, never keeping my stay too long. That happened about four months ago.
“I didn't know what to do. I knew that they would eventually find me, and I began looking for a way, any way, to defeat them. To my disappointment, I found none. About one month ago, I began hearing rumors from the vampires that I met in passing that there was a coven that had held off a Volturi attack on them. Details came together, some believable, some not so much. I was in Spain about a week ago when I had found out that this coven was called “the Cullen's” and they lived in America. As I was leaving to come to meet you, a couple of members of the Volturi guard had found me in Spain and we had a small run-in. It was a close call, but again, I managed to escape and I have been running here ever since.” Complete silence engulfed the table. I looked down at my folded hands until someone spoke again.
“So, you are here to ask for help in defeating the Volturi?” Alice said quietly. I looked up and met her eyes.
“I was. That was my original intention. But…” I sighed. I had a choice to make: to ask them for help, or to leave them out of this situation. It seemed like there was a invisible rope attached to opposite sides of me and I was being pulled in two directions, my personal safety versus theirs. I looked at Renesmee and it was like one of the ropes snapped.
I looked at Edward and he arched an eyebrow at me. With determination in my voice said, “I have changed my mind, though. I was going to ask for your help, but that was before I knew who you were, before I had met you. I refuse to bring you into this. I cannot let you face danger for my sake.” The more I said, the firmer my decision was. I wouldn't let them suffer. I would not allow the possibility for this little girl to lose her family the way I did. The soapbox speech faltered slightly when I remember the exhaustion of my body. I looked around the table and the stunned faces and continued.
“I do, however, make a request. I haven't been able to rest or sleep in the last week for fear of those pursuing me. If I leave now, I won't be able to go much further without stopping and I wouldn't be able to protect myself if while I slept.” I looked at the kind face of Carlisle. “If you would let me stay here for twenty-four hours, I would be able to get rest and be ready to go tomorrow. If you don't want me to, I completely understand.”
I could feel my heart rate increase slightly with the prospect of them saying no. As much as I hated putting them at risk for one day, the possibility of leaving without a little sleep seemed impossible at this time. I kept my gaze on Carlisle as he looked at each of his family members in turn. iHishhhHis gaze finally landed on his wife's beside him. She smiled kindly and then looked at me.
“You are free to stay here to rest. Be assured that you are safe with us.” She said. I breathed a sigh of relief and she continued. “There are several bedrooms, feel free to use any of them you wish.”
Catching a glimpse of the look that Rosalie shot me, I said, “The couch is fine if that is okay. I don't wish to intrude.”
With a look of concern, Esme opened her mouth to say something else, but before she could get anything out, Edward said, “If you would be more comfortable on the couch, you are welcome to stay there. Bella? Alice? Would you please show Aysel back to the living room please?”
They both stood up gracefully and I struggled to my feet to follow them. Just before I left the room, I turned back to the table. “Thank you so much for this. You have no idea what this means to me.” I turned again and followed the two women to the living room.
“Here is the couch. Do you need anything? Blankets? Dry clothes?” Bella asked hesitantly.
“No, I am fine,” I replied. “Thank you again.” Watching as the two turned back and walked to the kitchen, I laid down on the couch and was asleep before my head hit the cushion.

*************************
Jacob Black
 
The girl stood up and I could tell that she was tired. Her legs were shaking slightly and she didn't look like she could make it to the door. She did reach it, but then turned back. “Thank you so much for this.” She said with a look of complete gratitude. “You have no idea what this means to me.” After she finished, she turned back on shaky legs and disappeared into the next room.
My mind was complete mush. I could barely think a coherent thought. If her mother had left and then went through the change, were there any others like her out there? Was it possible that there could be more packs than just ours in La Push? The thought was swirling in a never-ending twister.
I looked up as Carlisle cleared his throat getting everyone's attention. “I think we have something we need to discuss.” And not for the first time that day, there was total silence in the room.