Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Vampires will never hurt you ❯ gggrrrrrr ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I hung up the phone and called out for Charlie, excited to see Edward.
 
“Charlie, I made you dinner; you just have to heat it up. I'm going out with Edward- I'll be home later.” I started for the door but he stopped me before my hand reached the door.
 
“Why do you spend all your time with him?” Charlie asked as I turned to face him.
 
“Dad, he's my boyfriend.” I sighed, a little unsure where this was going.
 
“So? Why don't you ever go out with Jake? He's a good kid Bella; you should give him a chance.”
 
It had been awhile since Edward had come back, and Charlie still wasn't so excited about it. He made it a point to bring up this subject EVERY time I went out with Edward. It was definitely starting to wear on me.
 
“Dad, we've been over this, many times. In fact, we've been over this almost every time I go out with Edward.”
 
“But-” Charlie started, but I cut him off.
 
“What more do you want from me? Me and Jacob are friends, nothing more. We can never be more than that, ever. Get it?” I said a little more harshly than necessary, hoping that would end this. As I reached for the door again, I felt Charlie's hand on my shoulder.
 
“I want to know WHY it could never happen. Is it your age? Because Jacob is very big and very mature for his age, and he's a good kid Bells.”
 
This was it, my last straw. I couldn't handle it any more.
 
“Charlie, this is not fair and you know it.” I hissed, pulling out of his grasp.
 
“Do you want to know why it can never happen? Do you honestly want to know the cold, hard truth? The reason that I have chosen Edward, and not Jacob?” I asked as I narrowed my eyes at him, my anger getting the better of me.
 
Charlie reeled back for a second, shocked at my outburst.
 
“Y-Yes,” He stammered.
 
“Fine. Then let's sit down and I will tell you exactly why, and then I am going out with Edward.” I spat the last part as we walked into the kitchen and sat down in our respective chairs.
 
I was sure Edward would forgive me for being late, but I wasn't so sure if he would be able to forgive me for what I was about to tell Charlie. I was basically betraying him, but I had finally had enough.
 
I looked Charlie straight in the eyes and asked him as evenly as I could manage, “What do you know about vampires and werewolves?”
 
“What does this have to do with anything?” Charlie asked, his tone already telling me he thought I really was crazy.
 
“Just tell me, what do you know about them?” It took everything I had to keep my voice even, but it still came out more harshly than it should have.
 
“Well, that they are fake, and they what, drink blood?” Charlie's tone was growing even more disbelieving with every word he spoke.
 
I sighed; this was going to be harder then I thought. Though why I thought it would be easy to explain to my father that my boyfriend is a vampire and my best friend is a werewolf I have no idea.
 
“Well, you're close. Mainly, they are basically mortal enemies, but they aren't fake. In fact, they live here, in Forks and La Push. That's why I can't be with Jacob.”
 
He sat there just looking at me. I could see the wheels turning in his head, trying to figure out what to do about me right now. Somehow, that irritated me more than it should have.
 
“Ok fine. How about this, Charlie? Have you ever wondered how I lived when Tyler's van was coming at me? How Edward some how managed to save me when he was nowhere near me at the time? Did you see the side of that van dad? It was dented from his body- there's no way a normal person would have lived.”
 
He nodded his head a little. Maybe he would get this after all, but I could still see the gears working behind his eyes.
 
“Have you ever heard the old tribal tales about the cold ones that Billy always tells? Or really thought about why Billy hates Dr. Cullen so passionately? Why Billy was so adamantly against me and Edward from the start?”
 
“I guess so,” Charlie said timidly, getting more nervous as this went on. I persisted, determined to break him down.
 
“It's because the tribe is full of werewolves, dad, and Dr. Cullen's family happen to be vampires. Inherently, they hate each other.” I tried to make my tone firm.
 
“Bells, are you feeling alright? I mean really? Should I take you to the doctor?” He reached out to feel my forehead. I smacked his hand away and stood up, knocking the chair over in my haste.
 
“Stop that! I am feeling fine. No, I am better than fine. I am happy, because I have Edward, and I am in love with Edward. But I am sick of you trying to force me into a relationship I don't want! I do not want to be with Jacob Black!” I was yelling very loudly by the end, my fists clenched.
 
Why couldn't he just accept my decision? Why did he have to be constantly trying to tear me and Edward apart?
 
“No, really Bells. I mean, yeah I've heard all the old stories from Billy, but Bella, that's all they are- stories.”
 
“No Charlie, they are real. Edward is a blood sucking vampire, and Jacob is a young all out shape shifting werewolf.” I tried to calm myself again, but my fists remained clenched.
 
“They're what?” Charlie asked loudly, starting to rise from his seat. Concern was clouding his eyes, and I knew I was getting no where with him.
 
“I said Edward is a blood sucking vampire, although he only drinks from animals. His whole family is that way; none of them drink human blood. That's why they are able to go to school with us, why their eyes are that mysterious topaz color, and why Carlisle is able to work at the hospital. It's also why the Doctor and his wife look so young; if you only knew how old they really were, you would be in shock.”
 
“I think I already am in shock. If what you're telling me is true, why didn't I ever know any of this?”
 
“You really think I ever wanted to tell you?” I asked, my facial expression disgusted at how dense he seemed to be right now.
 
Charlie just stared at me, not sure how to react.
 
“You already think I'm crazy, I am well aware of that. I mean what should I have said to you? Hey Charlie, Edward is a vampire, but can I still go out with him? Or by the way, can I go hang out with a bunch of temper-driven wolves?”
 
“So you do know how crazy this sounds? I mean really Bella, vampires and werewolves? They don't exist, they aren't real.” Charlie placed his hands on my shoulders, trying to get his point across to me.
 
“Yes they do Charlie!” I yelled, getting very frustrated now. I pushed him away from me and went and leaned against the counter. I faced my head down as I took a few deep, calming breaths before continuing. Still, I couldn't turn to look at him; I stared at the sink instead.
 
“What can I do to prove it to you?” My voice was deflated now.
 
“I want Edward and Jacob to come over.” Charlie made it sound as if it was very simple.
 
My mouth dropped and my heart beat picked up. As I should have expected, given the situation, there was a knock at the door. I felt my stomach drop, as I had a feeling it was Edward. I got up and walked to the door quickly and opened it.
 
Edward pulled me into a quick hug and kiss before looking at me, his eyes slightly tightened.
 
“I'm sorry, but I couldn't handle it any more.” I said softly but my tone let him know how bad I now felt for it.
 
“He just wasn't getting it, and he wouldn't stop trying to push me towards Jacob, so I told him. He thinks I'm crazy.” I spilled everything out too fast for Charlie to understand, but I knew Edward would get it. He smiled and kissed my forehead before stepping in the house.
 
“It's alright, love. He does think you're a little crazy, but he's also starting to think you might be right. Why don't you call the mutt…I mean Jacob.” I glared at him for a moment before going to the phone.
 
I dialed Jacob's number and waited for someone to pick up. It rang two times before Billy picked up, “Hello?”
 
“Billy its Bella, um, look- Charlie found out, and he wants Jacob to come over. He wants proof.” I could hear Billy sigh deeply; I could just imagine what his face looked like right now.
 
“Bella, how did he find out?” It was the one question I was praying he didn't ask me, and his tone told me he already knew the answer.
 
“I kind of told him…”
 
There was a pause before he said anything.
 
“Dammit Bella! Why would you do that? Jacob wasn't allowed to tell you, so what makes you think you have the right to tell Charlie?” I could practically feel the waves of anger coming off him over the phone, and I internally cringed.
 
I didn't respond, unsure what to really say. He was right, and I knew it.
 
“You know what this means, and I assume the leech is already there. I'll tell Jacob and I'm sure Sam will want to come as well; your boyfriend can't be trusted.” Billy hissed boyfriend, making me tense up immediately, but then it hit me that he said Sam was coming.
 
I groaned almost inaudibly; not Sam. Even if we were a little closer now, I didn't want to deal with the disappointment from other members of the pack right now. Jacob and Edward would already be plenty to deal with, especially having them in the same room.
 
“Alright, I'll let him know. Thanks Billy” I hung up the phone and looked behind me. Charlie was watching Edward, and Edward was watching me.
 
Even in a situation like this, the love Edward felt for me was still visible. I suppressed a smile, knowing that would not please Charlie. I sat down next to Edward, feeling better when he twined our fingers together, despite Charlie's scowl.
 
After a few minutes, Charlie spoke first, “Vampire, huh?”
 
“Yes sir.” Edward said, his tone completely respectful though I could pick up a very faint hint of amusement in his face, noticeable only by me.
 
“Where are your fangs?” Charlie asked, his brow furrowed.
 
“Myth.” Edward said offhandedly. “We don't have fangs, just really sharp teeth and venom that kills.”
 
“Prove it to me.”
 
“Excuse me?” Edward asked, clearly appalled at the thought of showing his razor smile and venom saliva at work to Charlie.
 
“I mean show me some vampire thing you can do.” Charlie said irritably.
 
Edward stood up and ran up and back down the stairs at his awe-inspiring vampire speed. He was only gone maybe a second, causing Charlie to let out a small gasp.
 
“Now your thinking that was impressive right?” Edward smiled his wonderful crooked smile, making me swoon slightly.
 
“I was thinking- how did you…” Edward cut him off.
 
“I knew because I can read your mind. The pack is here. Shall I open the door? They wont be happy to see me.” Edward's face again held a faint trace of amusement.
 
“What? No ones here, I didn't hear a car.” Charlie said, his brow furrowing more.
 
A second later, I heard the howl from the pack and a knock on the door. I went to open it, only to find Sam and Jacob standing before me; very large, very unhappy and half naked. I looked down at the ground and mumbled.
 
“I'm sorry, it really did slip.”
 
“That's no excuse,” Sam said, though his tone was frustratingly serene as always,
 
“Edward is here too, I hope you don't mind. Charlie wants you here at the same time. I tried to tell him.”
 
Sam growled slightly as they pushed past me, but I felt Jacob's warm hand pat my shoulder, though it did seem to remain there longer than actually necessary.
 
“Hello Charlie.” Sam greeted him and reached out to shake his hand. Charlie took it and pulled his hand back quickly; I'm sure in response to Sam's hand which was hot, very hot.
 
“It's part of being a wolf.” Edward answered Charlie's unspoken question.
 
Charlie nodded vaguely. It looked as if the reality of what was happening was starting to sink in.
 
We all sat down at the table as Charlie started to ask question after question. The boys answered each and every one very carefully, much to my relief. They also managed to stay relatively civil throughout the entire thing, with only a minimal amount of glares and growls being exchanged.
 
Sam explained the imprinting phenomenon, and Edward explained why he felt he needed to leave me. His grip on my hand tightened considerably as he had to relieve all those months without me, but I think Charlie realized that Edward really was worse off than I was during that time.
 
The regular glances Charlie shot towards Jacob, however, did not escape my notice, but I chose to ignore it. I saw Charlie's face pale considerably as Edward explained why I had run off to Phoenix my junior year, but some comprehension seemed to come over him when he realized how Edward's entire family Edward banded together to save me.
 
I was grateful when he left out the real reason for leaving after my 18th birthday. We both knew there was no way Charlie would allow me to be around the Cullens if he knew one of them had tried to attack me. Instead, a simple it became too dangerous seemed to quell Charlie for the time being.
 
Two or maybe three hours later he was done, fully satisfied that they were indeed what I had said. I looked pointedly at Charlie, making sure he knew I was upset that he had driven me to this.
 
When I was sure he had gotten my point, I dropped my gaze towards the table.
 
“I'm sorry I told him. But he just wouldn't stop and then it just slipped out.” I mumbled, feeling ashamed that I hadn't been able to control myself.
 
I felt Edwards's cold hand on mine, immediately rubbing soothing circles on the back. I smiled a little and looked up, trying to force myself to not be dazzled by his beautiful eyes.
 
Edward quickly glanced towards Charlie, reminding me where I was and keeping me from becoming too dazzled.
 
“So dad, now you know why things are difficult for me. It's hard to pick between the two, and as much as I love both of them, I choose Edward.” He looked at me for a moment before he spoke.
 
“But wouldn't you prefer Jake's warmth to his cold? What good would a stone do you?”
 
“Dad,” I growled as Edward tightened his grip on my hand slightly.
 
“I still don't fully understand why you choose Edward. He left you, Bells. Jacob is good for you. He won't leave you.”
 
I could see a smug smile inch across Jacob's face, but my face hardened more. I was a little shocked that Charlie could hear Edward's reason for leaving, and have it written all over his face that he somewhat agreed with it, but still have the nerve to use it against us.
 
“Yes, Charlie he may. Some day, maybe not now, but one day he may imprint on someone else, and where would that leave me? Out in the cold, completely devastated and alone, wishing I was with Edward. It's not fair to any of us.”
 
“But Bells,” Charlie started again, still trying to push me onto Jacob.
 
“No, dad. Did you not listen when Sam told you how he broke Leah? Did you not listen about what level of devotion he feels towards Emily? Do you think I could live through it if that happened to me? Leah is bitter, but she is surviving. I wont survive it dad.”
 
I stared at my hand, still cradled in Edward's, as I forced back the tears. They were mostly tears of anger, but mixed with some of sorrow as the memories of how I was when Edward left hit me.
 
I felt Edward tense slightly as he realized where my memories were going, and he wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me towards him. Jacob growled softly, but I ignored it.
 
“But a vampire?” Charlie asked.
 
I shot my head up and glared at Charlie, letting him know with my eyes that this conversation was over.
 
Charlie grimaced at my expression, but then his face softened.
 
“What about that Newton kid? He's normal right? Human I mean? Why not go for a nice kid like that? He always did seem to like you.”
 
I looked at him in disbelief; Jacob and Sam laughed but Edward stifled his- he knew it was coming at some point. I glared at him briefly for not stopping it, before turning back to Charlie.
 
“Dad!” I screamed, furious now. I pulled myself from Edward's grasp and stood up.
 
“I am NOT, nor will I EVER, date Mike Newton. Got that? It's Edward, and always will be. He is my life, my happiness, my everything. I cannot survive without him, and I suggest you just accept that.”
 
My face was contorted into a very menacing expression, which quickly turned towards Jacob when he let out a soft growl as I stated my undying devotion towards Edward in front of everyone.
 
I noticed Charlie look at Jacob and smile, angering me more. Even now, after all this, he was still on Jacob's side.
 
“I'm your daughter, Charlie. Why can't you just be happy for me?” I asked sadly, trying to change my tactic.
 
I saw Charlie's face instantly fall, and had to fight to hide the surge of relief that raced through me.
 
“I'm going out with Edward. I will be back later,” I said as I grabbed Edward's stone hand and headed towards the door, comforted as I felt his arm snake around my waist.
 
Charlie grunted as he, Jacob and Sam stood up and followed us towards the door.
 
“And you're sure you don't want to date Mike?” Charlie asked again from the kitchen doorway, though his tone let every one know he knew the answer.
 
“No, dad. It's Edward. It will always be Edward.” This time, my tone was soft with very little effort from me. The love I felt for Edward, and the relief that Charlie was finally seeming to accept this, was very clear in my voice.
 
Charlie groaned, but didn't say anything further as he plopped down on the couch to watch ESPN.