Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ I Caught Myself ❯ Complete Distraction ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: The Twilight Saga does not belong to me but to Stephenie Meyer.
 
 
A/N: This is one of my first Twilight fics. I wrote it a while ago but barely decided to put it up.
 
 
 
 
 
* * *
 
 
I Caught Myself
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chp. 1- Complete Distraction
 
 
 
 
 
The cafeteria was clattering with the noise of spoons and forks, the voices of the student body all rung in my ear at once. Their thoughts were not clear but their words sure were. I could see a bead of sweat dropping from a boy's brow across the room as he sat down amongst his friends. The girl next to him was scratching her arm and the sound was loud. Somehow I could not manage all the sights and the sounds, especially the smells that came my way.
 
Suddenly a loud orange tray was dropped in front of me causing me to jump. Part of me was still human after all. “Huh?”
 
“Someone's not paying attention.” My uncle Emmett teased as he sat next to me, followed by my aunt Rosalie. “Leave her alone.” She pushed him playfully.
“No day dreaming now.” I paid no mind as they teased each other and set my eyes at the entrance of the cafeteria waiting patiently. I watched as my aunt Alice and uncle Jasper walked in through the doors as graceful yet normal as ever. I could see people watching them but I was waiting for the grand finally.
 
I could have sworn the whole room stopped and nothing made a sound as they walked in, my parents.
Hand in hand, wry smiles on their faces. In a way it did not shock me that all the boys were glaring at my dad and all the girls were ready to set my mom on fire. It was like this every single day since we started to attend this dumb school in Woodstock Ontario, Canada- the rainiest town in the whole country. We had at least exactly 215.6 wet days a year. It only made me miss home even more, sweet dear old Forks.
 
Everyone was a big hit- even I, though I didn't want to brag about it as much as uncle Emmett. He was very cocky about it and often teased me about the love-starved boys that would follow me through out the halls. But when they all saw my dad they'd scatter. Of course they did not know he was my father. The story was we were all a bunch of foster kids adopted back in the states and then moved to Canada. And since I looked too much like my father I had to be portrayed as his younger sister by blood.
 
I did not mind this little white lie but attending school with my parents- let's just say it was something no regular teenager wanted but then again I was no regular teenager. If I were to get a bad grade or fall into trouble I'd have no time to run home and erase the answering machine. They would know at once, especially dad. Life often had no privacy when he was around.
 
“Nessie, aren't you going to eat?” my mom asked as she sat down.
 
I looked down at my plate. Pizza. It didn't satisfy me as much as my other proffered meal. “I'm not really hungry.” I said pushing the plate away. Mom looked at dad right away and he nodded, “She isn't hungry”
 
I frowned, “It's called privacy.”
 
Emmett and Jasper laughed. “Thought you'd be used to it by now kiddo.” Indeed I was used to it but for the sake of honesty I was a bit irritated.
 
Mom smiled at me, “Can't you take just a little nibble?”
 
“Bella,” dad smiled, “Don't force feed her.”
 
“Edward.” She said in that motherly tone. “She has to eat something.”
 
“Thank you dad.” I smiled softly and just as I did I felt it, a hot flash of wind hit me along my side. My head whipped to the side and everyone turned to me as if I were ready to pounce. I looked at him- a dark haired boy with a delicious scent passing right by me and sat down at a table with his friends. I relaxed my body and turned back to my pizza. That was slightly painful. I could feel everyone looking at me as if I had two heads all of a sudden.
 
I glanced up with question in my eyes.
 
My dad sighed and everyone relaxed.
 
“Nothing was going to happen.” Alice spoke setting her hand on Jasper. I tilted my head, “What's going to happen?” I was totally oblivious.
 
My mom smiled, “Nothing sweetheart.”
 
I shrugged. Sure they were often afraid I would mess up and let my vampire side get to me. That I'd get the urge to nibble on someone and we'd be exposed for what we really were. I had memories of when I was much younger. I was only a little baby when a powerful group of vampires called the Volturi came all the way to Forks just because of me. I remember my mom was really nervous and on the verge of breaking down. My dad was just as tense and Alice and Jasper had been gone for a long time.
 
Ever since then we were as careful as possible. They always had their eyes on me when I was surrounded by humans, which was a waste of time because I had never bit anyone except for an old friend, Jacob Black. I bit him all the time and there were never any problems. And besides the last drop of human blood I had was when I was almost a four months and it was in a zippy cup for crying out loud.
 
The table was soon filled with chitter chatter. Everyone spilled out their day- just another routine of being normal, of being `human'. I glanced at my uneaten pizza and starred deeply at the pepperoni on it. How I wished it was still alive and running on all fours. How delicious would that be? I felt a familiar pair of eyes on me and I knew who it was right away, my dad.
He was scanning through my mind.
 
Do you mind, old man? I teased with a smile.
 
He laughed lightly but no one bothered to look at him for aunt Rosalie was ranting on about something very important- well at least to her.
Then he gave me a look I knew very well. It was kinda our own silent language that had progressed over the years.
And besides I had a special habit of showing people rather than telling them about it. I always did say, “I can show you more than I can tell you.”
They don't bother me at all. Honestly. I thought about the human teenagers in the room. Then his eyes lay back down at the pizza and he tapped his finger on the table.
 
I groaned mentally, I can but I don't want to.
 
He rolled his eyes with a smile and I couldn't help to smile back. I could eat the pizza, I could live on human food and remain healthy but it wasn't as satisfying.
 
Soon the bell rang and I was up on my feet before anyone else. “Hey kid where's the fire?” asked Emmett.
 
I stuttered trying to concentrate on other things to occupy my mind, “To class” I smiled and dashed off.
 
“Meet you there!” Alice called after me; after all I had the next class with her and Jasper, it was World History. So it went like this: Emmett, Jasper and Rosalie were seniors (they started late this time) and everyone else were juniors except for me- they started me off as a sophomore but I took advanced classes.
 
I believed I knew too much for my age, if I were human I'd be eight at least. I matured and stopped growing when I was seven and that was a year and sixth months ago. I started school when I was at least one, in kindergarten, I could have skipped first but mom really wanted me to try out my first year of actual school so I did. I was growing quiet fast so I didn't attend middle school- so much preparation for High School.
 
I slowed my pace when I stopped right in front of Dylan Thompson. Dylan was a nice friendly boy who hung out with a lot of other kids I knew- well from my classes.
“Sorry.” I apologized right away and was about to walk away when his hand stopped me again.
 
“You're Renesmee Cullen, right?”
 
I still couldn't believe that after all this time of being in this place people still called me by my whole name as if barely meeting me for the first time.
 
“Nessie for short.” The words came out of my mouth. He smiled, “Right.” Then he looked down and backs up. He was about to speak when I felt a cold chill behind me and Dylan's mouth closed back up. I cringed.
 
“Shouldn't you be getting to class Ness?” my dad spoke sternly in my ear but I was sure enough he was starring at Dylan with cold eyes. Here in school- much to my dismay- dad was known as “the jealous brother” the kind that would beat someone up in the playground if one told his sister they liked her pigtails.
 
“Da- Edward, what are you-?” I couldn't get my words right and I often called him dad at the wrong place in the wrong time. In public, around school I had to call him Edward. It was kinda funny actually.
 
“Renesmee get to class.” He said demandingly once more while shooting daggers at Dylan.
 
“I'll um-...see you.” He stuttered and left with his tail behind his legs. I spun around to face Edward-agh my dad.
“What was that all about?” I demanded.
 
He shook his head, “Just get to class you'll be late.” And he walked off with nothing else to say.
 
Gotta be kidding me…
 
“I heard that!” he called out in amusement and I had no choice but to go to class. When I arrived Alice and Jasper were already in their seats. Ironically I sat between them. The teacher assigned seats by alphabetical order and Alice and I were the only C's. It was Alice, I, a boy whose last name started with a G and then Jasper who was an H. I felt sorry for the boy, I think his name was Timothy; he was always so tense and nervous during class. I suppose it was because he sat between us.
 
I paid no attention as I found my seat and slumped in it.
 
“I told him not to.” Alice said with an apologetic smile. I sighed, “It's fine. Wait how did he know?” I set my voice down to a whisper.
 
“Thompson himself.” She answered. “He was passing right by.”
 
I nodded. Dad had a habit of searching through every boy's minds, no wonder he was often annoyed or extremely angered. According to him the boys in the town of Woodstock had dirty minds and had nothing better to do. We all knew he was only overreacting.
 
Throughout the whole class Mr. Nause spent the time blabbing out about the developing world during the early 1900's. I already knew some of it since many members of my family had witnessed it even my dad -except he did not remember much of it. Meanwhile I stared at a brown piece of string hanging from his button up shirt. I could see the smallest layers fold making layers after layers. The color pigments were bright to my eyes and its dancing motion was familiar. The dancing piece of string only kept my attention for so long when someone dropped their pencil in the back of the room. Its thin wood landing against the aluminum floor was loud and I could hear the small crack in the lead. I could also hear two girls gossiping on about someone named Pat Lee and how he could not kiss at Jennifer's party last weekend. For a moment I felt a little bad for Pat Lee but life goes on.
 
Soon enough Mr. Nause let us off to finish up our class work and as soon as he did Alice turned to me and smiled, “Nessie we need to go out and do some shopping.” Her eyes lit up with sparkles. I laughed, “Again?”
 
Then Jasper came up from behind me; “She's been dying to take you since we left Vancouver last weekend.” He smirked at her.
 
The funny thing about my aunts was they spoiled me a little too much and I never got to wear the same thing twice. Especially with Alice, she was big on fashion and she said in that field I would follow after her steps. She said she wouldn't let my mom's once bad style influence me.
That always made me laugh.
And now a days I didn't have an excuse of getting too much clothes since before I would grow out of them in a week or so but now that I stopped growing things were different and Alice and Rosalie took advantage of that.
 
“Well we're not going to Vancouver again.” Alice said at jasper with a small playfully smirk.
 
“Were are you going?” I asked.
 
We are going to Bedford” she grinned widely.
 
“In Quebec?” my mouth almost dropped to the desk. “Yep” she smiled.
 
“Might as well take us to New York.” Jasper joked.
 
“Why you want to go?” apperantly she did not catch his sarcasm. “If you do we gotta get Nessie's passport.” Then she sent a smile my way.
 
“Just to go shopping?” I was extremely shocked. “I'll pass.”
 
“But Nessie!” Alice debated and at that instant the bell rang and it was time for my last class. Gym. “I'll think about it.” I gave her a sheepish smile and her face lit up, “I'll see what Edward has to say.” and she dashed off before I could say anything else.
 
“I'll see what I can do.” Jasper ruffled my hair, “Thanks.” I said and watched him go.
 
I'd heard stories of my mother's years in gym back in Forks when she was still human. And every time I think of them I can't help but laugh. Oh dear mother of mine. However gym is the only class in where I can get some privacy. I'm not much in to sports like the other kids and I have better balance than my mother did when she was human, I guess those qualities did not stay in my human part.
In gym we were able to do whatever we liked as long as we were doing something. For some odd reason no one seemed to bother me when I sat along side the wall to read a book. However my dad was always scanning my thoughts and seeing the world through my eyes. In some way it made me feel dependent on him because he was never far away. He was always in my mind, seeing what I saw and hearing what I heard. He was all knowing.
 
As usual I sat down along side the wall and my eyes automatically scanned the gym until I spotted him. Andy Berkeley. Andy- according to my lab partner and other girls in the school body was the hottest guy in school right below my dad and my uncles. Everyone drooled over him and he like us also came from the states. He was from California so I had heard. And sure enough there he was starring back at me- curiosity in his eyes. I averted my eyes and felt a hot flash invade my cheeks- now this I had inherited from my mother. The ability to blush at will.
I began to fill my mind with Advanced Placement calculus and rephrase Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's famous speech in German, anything to keep my mind off of Andy Berkeley. I had learned this trick from Alice who used it to keep her visions away from dad.
 
I dug my eyes in to my book, The Jungle and filled my mind with unsanitary images of rotten meat covered in rat droppings and dust stored away in musty dark storages where old rattraps held the carcasses of their preys. I imagined the putrid smells of decomposing pig and cowhides hanging from the sides of the walls on germ-infested hooks, covered by disease carrying flies. Then the loud squealing cries of the hogs as they were tied to an iron chain and yanked off in to the air and into a room where they would not return. And in some strange ways it all amazed me.
I couldn't imagine why humans back then where so oblivious no, ignorant to what they were selling the public. However humanity has evolved over time, gotta give them some credit for that.
 
As I turned the page of my book an orange flash came my way crashing on the wall missing me by an inch. My hair flew from the strong wind and I slowly looked up and bouncing right next to me was a basketball. I glanced up and there was Andy Berkeley pushing some boy away with a playful laugh and then he made his way over to me.
 
“Sorry about that.” His velvet voice spoke as he approached me. Someone hold Edward back.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
_____________________________________________________________ ___________
 
 
 
A/N: the first chapter is a little slow but I assure you it gets more interesting. Please tell me what you think. Thank you.
 
-AutumnSkyy