Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ I Caught Myself ❯ A Mouthful ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: The Twilight Saga does not belong to me. It belongs to Stephenie Meyer (:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
* * *
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Ch. 2- A Mouthful
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Sorry about that.” His velvet voice spoke as he approached me. Someone hold Edward back.
 
 
“No blood, no foul.” I said mimicking my dad's words. He often said that, it was like his own private joke towards humans.
 
“You okay?” he knelt down before me. “I'm really sorry about that.” He seemed sincere in his apology.
“It's fine. It barely touched me.” I said.
 
“Renesmee right?” he asked rolling the ball aside to his friends who all starred back with skeptic eyes. They felt as if Edward was going to come bursting through the doors ready to break anyone's neck.
 
I nodded.
 
“Ah, good. It's cause it's really a mouthful.” He chuckled.
 
“So I've been told.” I smiled lightly thinking of my Jacob.
 
“But they call you Nessie for short?”
 
“Hmm?”
 
“Your family.” He pointed out plunking down on his bottom and crossing his legs. Did he just sit down in front of me? Yes he did.
 
“Oh right. Yeah they do.”
 
He smiled and looked at my book, “What are you reading there?” and he reached for it. At that moment our skins clashed against each other. My eyes flickered up at him at once and his eyes pulled like magnets up to mine. Luckily my touch wasn't icy cold like the rest of my family.
 
“Let's see here” he pulled the book out of my hands.
 
“The Jungle.” I answered.
 
“Isn't this a little too graphic for you?” he said teasingly. I smiled, “Not exactly.” And I laughed to myself. If only he knew what I ate for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Correct that- drank.
 
Then one of the gym teachers blew her whistle and I stood at a normal pace as Andy gave my book back. “I guess I'll see you around?” he smiled.
 
“Sure.” My lips pulled in to a smile I could not control and he waved retreating out the gym.
I shook my head and hurried to the girl's locker room to change. The last bell was going to be ringing soon and I had to meet my family in the parking lot. Emmett, Rosalie, Alice and Jasper drove in Rosalie's Mercedes while I rode with my parents in the Volvo. We switched sometimes though.
 
As soon as I stepped out of the Gym I filled my mind with useless rubbish and complicated diagnosis. Once again, thanks Alice! When I arrived to the spot in the parking lot I was reciting the first chapters of Augusten Burroughs' “Running with Scissors” in my mind.
 
Everyone was already there waiting for me and I could see a stern expression on my dad's face. He didn't look so happy.
 
“Took ya Ness!” Emmett teased as he lay against the Mercedes. I shrugged giving them a smile. Mom walked over to me and wrapped an arm around my shoulder, “How was your day Nessie?”
 
I laughed, “Mom you were there.”
 
“Oh hush,” she smiled planting a kiss on the top of my head.
 
“So we ready to get going?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
 
The ride back home in the Volvo was awfully quiet. Dad occationally asked mom a question about her day or the weather. Simple things however he kept glancing through the review mirror at me.
 
Augusten Burroughs. Augusten Burroughs. Augusten Burroughs.
 
“Since when are you so interested in this particular author, Nessie?” he asked seriously breaking the taunting silence. Mom glanced at him and knew right away he had been searching through my thoughts.
 
“I fancy his writing.” I said casually. “He has a lot to say about his childhood.”
 
“Hmm, right. So tell me what happened in gym today.”
 
Oh great, he sure didn't beat around the bush.
 
“Why did something happen in gym?” Mom asked worriedly.
 
“No.” I stated.
 
“Someone threw a basketball at her.” He said sourly and I knew he was thinking of the person who did it. I could see the impatience and annoyance in his eyes. I frowned.
 
“Are you hurt?” mom asked as she turned around to face me completely. “Where did it hit you?”
 
Ah mother bear strikes again.
 
I sighed heavily leaning over and setting my hand on my mom's cheek and let the memory run into her thoughts. After a short moment I pulled my hand away, “You see it missed me by an inch and hit the wall. No big deal.” I tried giving her a smile.
 
“You could have been hurt Ness.” Dad said as if I were some kind of fragile little girl.
 
“No I wouldn't have. My skin's as hard as granite, dad I'm pretty sure the ball wouldn't make a scratch.”
 
“That does not matter, that boy shouldn't have been so reckless.”
 
I sighed giving up the fight.
 
“Edward she was not hurt.” Mom finally came to my rescue now that she had seen the truth instead of listening to it.
 
But he said nothing more and once again I slipped in to the thoughts of Augusten Burroughs'. Due to Edward's fast driving we arrived home in no time. We lived in a large house- very much like the one in forks, the main house not the little cabin where my parents and I lived soon after I was born. How mom missed that small cabin. We'd be back one day however.
 
Soon I hope…
 
 
I did not wait for dad to open my door at super speed like he did to mom and I jumped out the car switching my mind to Edgar Allan Poe.
 
“A bit depressing don't you think?” he asked trying to lift a smile.
 
“You promised privacy at home.” I reminded him.
 
“That's true!” Alice chirped as she came up from behind me and wrapped her arms around my shoulders, “You promised Edward.”
 
Dad looked over and mom and she nodded, “You did.”
 
He sighed, “All right then.”
 
“How was school?” a sweet voice came from the doorway of the school and there was Grandma Esme.
 
“Great” smiled Emmett as he went up the steps in to the house.
 
“Could have gone better” said Rosalie and followed after him. I watched as Alice pranced to Jasper and both walked in to the house hand in hand. I followed after them, “And you Nessie?” Esme smiled. “It went fine grandma.” I responded avoiding the little scenario with dad on the way here.
 
She gave me a hug, “Good.” And I went inside.
 
****
 
 
Night began to fall on the small town of Woodstock and everything grew colder. The moon was full on the high sky and I lowered my eyes. I sat on a high branch of the tree outside my room. The full moon reminded me of my best friend Jacob Black (for obvious reasons) who lived back in La Push. I wondered how my Jacob was doing. I didn't know why he had not stopped by to visit like he said he would. Last time I saw him I was probably the height of a ten year old child but I had grown much since then and was now at the height of 5'5 the appropriate height for a sixteen or seventeen year old girl.
 
Perhaps he had stopped by but instead of seeing his little Nessie he saw someone else. No I doubted it. He would not forget me, of course not.
 
I heard a light crack behind me and when I turned to see my dad was sitting right next to me.
 
“Hey,” he said softly.
 
“Hi.” I looked back down at my hands.
 
“Your mother wanted me to come check on you.”
 
“Might as well read my mind.” I said with sarcasm and a very sheepish smile.
 
“I was going to...” he lingered with guilt.
 
I looked at him with an annoyed expression.
 
“But can you show me what's bothering you? The unique way for old times sake.” He gave me a soft smile.
 
I nodded and set my hand on his cold hand. I had grown quite used to the cold granite skin of my family and it did not bother me but instead it soothed me. With a soft touch I began to show my dad what was bothering me.
The images of Forks and La push. My grandpa Charlie, his warm house with the one bathroom, our little cabin, the cold woods, the sports store where mom used to work, the old diner, the never ending rain, the Quilette reservation, the La Push beach and last but not least Jacob.
I gave my dad a worried expression mixed with sadness. I could see the same expression fall upon his perfect shaped face. “You really miss him don't you?”
I took my hand off his, which must have been boiling hot, and set it back onto my lap. “Yes.” I answered him but he probably had already known the truth before I answered it.
 
“Well Ness…” I knew he couldn't find the right words to say when it came to Jacob. He wasn't very fond of him to begin with- he never was.
 
Why hasn't he stopped by to visit? I didn't have to speak; I prefer this kind of communication sometimes anyway.
 
“Well Ness,” he started off the same way “Mutts tend to wander.” He mused.
 
I laughed a little but stopped myself, Dad, that isn't funny.
 
 
 
But he smiled apologetically or was it just an act? “Nessie think about it. Jacob's still a young boy and being the leader of his pack- he has a lot of important things to attend to. He'll visit when he finds the time besides it is a pretty far distance to travel. We don't live in Forks anymore, Ness, you can't expect him to drop by every night like before.”
 
I know. And he was right. I didn't expect anything out of Jacob but a greeting card now and then could have been nice or a phone call.
 
“You're mother misses him too you know.” He said and I caught a bit of annoyance in his voice.
 
I know she does…
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
_____________________________________________________________ ___________
 
 
 
A/N: Hope this chapter was a little more entertaining. Tell me what you think (: Thanks.
 
-AutumnSkyy