Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ The Ties That Bond Us ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Ties That Bond Us
 
Chapter Four
 
By: BellaNJake
 
 
AN: Sorry about the long wait guys, I've been kind of busy. I hope you enjoy this chapter! Don't forget to review!
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Twilight; or any of the characters in the Twilight series. (duh).
 
 
Last time:
I walked to the elevator and pressed the button that said `3'. When I got there I turned to the right and instantly my blood went cold when I saw the sign in front of the door.
 
`Room 212' Carlisle Cullen.
 
I gasped, shocked and horrified. Carlisle was here? He shouldn't be here. He was gone with the rest of the Cullen's. I thought he left with the rest of them, forever. Does this mean they're all back now?
 
I stood at the door for a few moments, debating whether or not to run away from here. I didn't think I would be able to handle seeing any of them again. It would bring back so many painful memories. The hole in my chest that Edward had left was just healing because of Jacob, and I didn't want it to break open again.
 
After debating with myself for a few moments, I decided running away wouldn't solve any problems. I knocked on the door hesitantly. Instantly I heard the musical voice that I immediately identified as Carlisle — it was a sound no other could imitate; no human that is. The kind of voice no one would forget. That I would never forget no matter how much it pained me to remember. The kind of voice a vampire would possess.
 
“Come in,” the voice called to me.
 
I took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves, and opened the door slowly. I peered ahead and saw the beautiful blonde vampire doctor that had become kind of a second father to me — months ago. Now seeing him brought back so many painful memories, just like I head feared. His God-like features reminded me of the other vampires that left me behind. His topaz eyes burning a hole in my chest; they looked so much like Edward's eyes.
 
I didn't blame them for leaving me though. After all, I was merely a human — a pathetic excuse for one that is—and they shouldn't have wanted me to be around at all. I was loud, ungraceful, and a burden; with my constant need for food and sleep. I was surprised that they had kept me around for as long as they did. They were surely very annoyed by me after a few months.
 
Despite my forgiveness of them, I felt a sudden wave of hatred. Hate for the Cullen's for leaving me behind. Hate for Edward, for lying to me and saying he loved me, only to break my heart mere months after the fact, leaving me like a shell of a person. And most of all, hate for myself for letting it become like that.
 
I knew what I was getting myself into before I befriended any of them. I knew that they were vampires that day before I went with Edward over to his house. I didn't have to become so attached to them. I could have treated them the same as I treated my aunts and uncles — as polite as needed, nothing more. But no, I had to go and think of them as my family; even more so than my own real human family. This ultimately sealed my demise.
 
I knew that they were going to leave someday — for they did not age, and couldn't be in one place for more than a few years — but I had it so wrapped around in my head that they would take me with them. I thought that they had all loved me and wanted me to be one of them; I never thought that they would leave me behind, so they could go off on their own vampire ways. I was a fool for believing they wanted me to be a part of their family. I quickly shoved away those thoughts and focused on the task ahead.
 
Carlisle's voice helped me out of my thoughts, into reality.
 
Bella?” the vampire/doctor asked sounding as surprised to see me as I was to have found out that he worked at the hospital again; and that I was going to be one of his patients. The look on his face perfectly matched the tone of his voice, pure shock.
 
I wondered vaguely why he was so shocked to see me, after all; I did live here in Forks. That wasn't about to change because they had left me. He should know that I still lived here anyway, because of Alice. She would have told them if I moved, wouldn't she? Though I couldn't be certain, after all, they did leave me; they didn't want to be around me. Why would they keep track of me?
 
Edward had said it would be as if they were never here. This was completely the opposite of what he'd said. They were actually here? What was going on?
 
I spoke now, quietly, still shocked “C-Carlisle? Is that you?” I had asked him, feeling completely idiotic after. Of course it was him, I would never forget him; or any of the other Cullen's—one in particular I would remember the most. “I t-thought you h-had left.” The hole in my chest was threatening to swallow me whole as I tried to form words.
 
“Bella, I don't understand,” He told me, his face back to the composed mask it always seemed to be in, though slightly wrong. “How are you still alive?”
 
This caught me off guard. I stared at him like he had three heads. “Why… would I… not be alive?” I asked him, trying my best not to stutter. Did he think I would commit suicide because Edward and the rest had left me? Did he think I was not able to keep myself alive without constant watch from mythical creature — well, vampires?
 
He gazed at me, the look of confusion on he had on earlier briefly flashed in his eyes before it was covered by a mask of serenity. He quickly changed the subject.
 
“Well now, Bella. Is there something wrong with you?” He succeeded in distracting me for the time being. This was going to be an incredibly awkward conversation — having my ex-boyfriend's adoptive father giving me a test to see if I was pregnant with my current boyfriend's — and mortal enemy of the Cullen's, actually, vampire's in general — child.
 
“Um…” I hesitated; not knowing how to break this kind of news to him. I reasoned with myself, he is just a doctor. I'm not supposed to feel this awkward talking to doctors. I tried to pretend he was just another doctor, and just let it out, “I need a pregnancy test, please.”
 
His mask of calmness didn't waver, and yet I felt I could feel his curiosity coming out at me in waves. I didn't want to tell him about Jacob though. I didn't feel close to him like I did before — even if it wasn't really that close — and I didn't want the Cullen's back in my life. There was just too much pain associated with them.
 
“Alright,” he replied to me, motioning across the room at the paper covered mattress. “I need to ask you a couple of questions first.”
 
I moved from the doorway that I was still standing at and sat slowly on the seat. He proceeded to ask me questions about my period, any pains I've been having, and if I'd engaged in sex, etc. I found myself answering his questions with ease after a few minutes had passed. He was acting like a doctor, not like the father figure I was expecting him to be.
 
Finally, he did a blood test and told me that he would call my house with the results. I smiled weakly and nodded. I started to head out the room but hesitated. “Carlisle?” I whispered, back still toward the door, facing away from him.
 
He responded immediately, “Yes, Bella?”
 
I slowly turned to face him, tears starting to form in my eyes. “Are… are you all back? For good?” I had to know. I had to know if Edward was back. I couldn't let him be near me, not like this. I didn't want to see the look on his face when he saw me with Jacob. I still loved him. I always would, but I loved Jacob more.
 
Carlisle nodded slightly, “Yes, Bella.” He said again, “But if you wish we will not bother you. We have interfered with your life enough.”
 
I was at a loss for words, so I simply nodded. I wanted to see Alice badly, we were like best friends, but I didn't know if I'd be able to handle it. I would wait until school — which I still had a couple months left of — to see if she wanted to have anything to do with me.
 
As I drove home in my monster of a truck, I thought back to Carlisle's peculiar behavior. I had never seen his face so taken aback like it was when he saw me coming in to the room for a check-up. It was like I was the last person he expected to walk through the door.
 
And when he said he thought I was dead, what did that mean? What would make him believe such a thing, if they hadn't been keeping an eye on me? Even if they had, I hadn't been doing anything reckless in the past few weeks. I hadn't driven my motorcycle in two weeks. I probably wouldn't get to for at least a year now…
 
I pulled up to my house — or rather Charlie's house — and got out of my truck without much difficulties. I didn't stumble once as I walked up the driveway to the house. I pulled my house key from my pocket and was about to open the door, when suddenly; it flew open. I stepped back, startled; and lost my footing. I braced myself for the fall which never came; instead I felt the warm arms of my Jacob catching me.
 
He chuckled and pulled me upright. He had the look on his face that stated I have a surprise for you. I was instantly hesitant.
 
All of the sudden a heavenly smell enveloped my senses. I realized suddenly that I was starving. I looked at Jacob confused and he grinned down at me.
 
“I thought you might be hungry, you barely ate anything all day.” He told me pulling me inside and closing the door.
 
“What did you make? It smells so good.” I took a big whiff of the unidentified dish that was waiting for me to devour it. It smelled wonderful, and yet somehow familiar. I had this before but I couldn't quite remember when.
“My dad's `super secret' recipe for spaghetti” He replied throwing his hands in the air to make quotation marks. I giggled at his expression.
The memory of Billy's small gathering flashed in my head. It was a little after I had first started seeing Jacob, and building motorcycles in his garage. Before Jacob had become a werewolf. He was happier then, without the burden of protecting his entire clan — and me — from heinous vampires.
The kind that drank human blood, without regret or remorse; they didn't care about the people they killed. They didn't take a moment to wonder who this person was, how their death would affect anyone else — they just wanted dinner. I shuddered at the thought.
“Is something wrong?” Jake asked me, wrapping his arms around my shoulders and pulling his head down so that we were eye level. He gazed at me with a look of confusion and I couldn't help but smile. He was very vigilant when it came to me and my secrets. It made it intensely hard to lie to him — not that I did that much.
 
“Just a little anxious, about what the results are from the test,” I told him. It wasn't exactly a lie — I was nervous, even though I was pretty sure the results would come back positive — but I didn't want to tell Jacob I was really worried about vampires. I had become kind of biased when it came to wolves and vampires. I was with the wolves through and through.
 
“I see,” He said. It was clear that he was uncomfortable with this conversation. He always worried way too much about me. I decided to change the subject, and my stomach agreed.
 
Jacob laughed, “Let's get some food in you before your stomach starts eating itself.” He teased me. I smiled and let him lead me to the kitchen. He sat me down at the table in front of a heaping plate of spaghetti. It looked so good. I started to eat ravenously until I realized that Jacob was still there. He was staring at me biting his lip, trying not to laugh. My face burned crimson.
 
Jacob leaned across the table and grabbed my face in between his massive hands. He gazed into my eyes longingly. I pulled closer to him, our lips close to touching when suddenly the phone rang.
 
I jumped up, startled — almost tripping over myself — and headed for the phone. Jacob beat me there. He answered the phone while grinning at me. I knew I was in for major teasing when he hung up.
 
“Swan residence,” He said to whoever was calling.
 
Whatever the person had said obviously didn't settle well with Jacob. He instantly turned cold and responded harshly, “What do you need to tell her?” He waited impatiently.
 
I tried to figure out who he was talking to. My mind was drawing blanks. It was usually like this when I was around Jacob. He blocked the painful memories briefly in his presence. My thoughts were interrupted by Jacob's words.
 
“Anything you need to tell her you can tell me,” He snarled, then instantly his eyes grew wide. He hung up the phone and turned to me. His face was pale as he asked me the question that I had asked myself yesterday afternoon.
 
“You're pregnant?”