Uglies Fan Fiction ❯ Afterwards ❯ After Specials ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter three: After SPECIALS
 
Tally was out in the wild with David, eating curynoods. They were near a river, it was glistening in the night. The unforgettable smell of spagbol was coming from David's mouth. 'Unforgettable' was just the word on Tally's mind... unforgettable Zane. Specials didn't cry, but once again the tears flooded from her eyes.
 
"Don't cry Tally," said David, "it's okay."
 
"No it's not," said Tally, crying as her tears fell into the water. "I'm sorry, David, but I miss Zane..."
 
"I know how you feel," said David, "I miss my dad."
 
"I'm sorry about your dad," she said "I didn't do it on purpose... I was ugly, all I wanted was to be pretty, I wanted to be pretty. I wanted to be pretty so bad it was like I was willing to destroy a civilization I knew nothing about..." then, almost murmuring, she said, "to be something I knew nothing about."
 
"It wasn't your fault," said David.
 
"Oh, yes it really was," she said.
 
"Okay, let's just enjoy this wonderful night," he said. "You may be the only Special there is, but I can tell you'll have wonderful things happening in your future."
 
Tally almost smiled. "Thanks David."
 
"You're welcome, Tally," he said. Tally looked into the water, she could see a face; Zane's face. The water was growing bigger, there was more water than there was before... Tally realized it was from her tears.
 
"Don't cry Tally," said a voice; Zane's voice.
 
"How can I not cry?" she asked. "You're not alive, I have to live with David, and it's all my fault."
"It's not your fault, Tally," said the now imaginary voice of Zane that only she could hear.
 
"It is my fault," she argued. "You were trying to impress me, and you died because of it."
 
The face in the water frowned. "How is that your fault?" asked the voice.
 
"Because you were trying to impress me," Tally said "and I made it look like you needed to."
 
The face looked back up at her and some how moved up from the water, when it did it some how grew body parts. Then it walked up beside Tally.
 
"It's okay, Tally," he said, patting her back with a reassuring smile.
 
"No, it's not, Zane," said Tally. "Life without you is like saying a bunch of bad words or being attacked by a Peep."
 
"Peeps aren't real Tally," said Zane. "Neither am I, but no matter where you go, I'll always be with you." Then, he flew up into the stars and disappeared.
 
"Hey, there's a new star in the sky," said David. "I wonder what it is."
 
Tally smiled. "It's Zane."
 
 
 
Tally was happy. She tried to stay up all night looking at the stars because up there was Zane... her true love. Slowly, though her eyes started to close and she began to dream.
 
"We must find her," said a voice. "She's the living Anathema."
 
"How do we know she'll give in, though?" asked another voice.
 
"Because she believes in us," said the first voice.
 
"Fexellent," said the second voice. "Do you know where she is, Minerva?"
 
"Not yet," said 'Minerva' "but I will."
 
Are they talking about me? thought Tally, she was hiding in the bushes in the dream, what if they have another special with them? Nah, probably not, every Special, except me is cured.
 
"Come on, Dr. Cable," said Minerva, grabbing a cured Special by the wrist..... or at least what used to be a cured Special. Now though, it was something else.
 
Dr. Cable!? thought Tally, both surprised and scared. Oh no, what if she has a connection to my skintenna? She rethought that, then softly laughed. Hah, no way.
 
"Tally," whispered a familiar voice.
 
"Zane?!" yelled Tally.
 
"What was that?" asked Minerva, looking around.
 
"I think it was her," said Dr. Cable.
 
"Fawsome," said Minerva. "Good work, Cable."
 
"Shh," whispered Zane. "Turn off your skintenna, so that they don't find us."
 
"Why?" asked Tally. "It's not like they have a tracker or anything."
 
"Dr. Cable, do you still have that skintenna tracker?" asked Minerva.
 
"Got it right here," she said.
 
"Okay, fine," Tally whispered, turning off her skintenna.
 
"Minerva?"
 
"Ugh, what is it Cable?"
 
"The skintenna tracker is broken."
 
Minerva walked over to Dr. Cable and looked at the tracker. "It's not broken," she said "she turned her skintenna off, ugh. That must mean she's close, either that or she has him with her."
 
"What now, Zane?" asked Tally, whispering.
 
"Use your special speed, Tally," he said. So, that's what Tally did.
 
"Why do they want me?" asked Tally. "I'm not one of those rare people who have a partial inborn immunity to a parasite. I'm not a peep, so why do they want me?"
 
"But you are the only Special there is; they want you so they can add you to their Anathemas," said Zane. So Tally got out of the bushes and ran until she reached the river. Tally tried to remember that none of this was real, that it was only a dream. That was very hard to do though.
 
"David," said Tally. "Run!"
 
"Why would I want to do that when you're right here?" asked David. "I've got her, Minerva."
"Thank you, David." Minerva said, "and who are you?"
 
"T-T-T-Tally."
 
"What a fool name," said Minerva. "Fool enough to add to our Anathemas." Then they all said her name. "Tally, Tally, Tally, Tally." "Tally! Tally!"
 
"TALLY!" said David.
 
"Yes, David?" Tally said, waking up, her flash tattoos calming down.
 
"Are you okay, Tally?" asked David. "I heard you screaming all night long."
 
"I'm icy, but they were everywhere..."
 
Tally was so scared after the dream she had last night, about the Peeps trying to add her to their Anathemas. She hoped she would have a Bubbly day today to make up for it. She yawned.
 
"Good morning, David," she said.
 
"Good morning, Tally," said David. "What did you dream last night?"
 
"All I can say, David, is that whatever you dreamed was probably way better than what I dreamed about."
 
"Oh, yeah, sure," said David. "You dreamed something worse than having something called 'Evolution's Darling' turn you into dust?"
 
"Okay," said Tally "so it wasn't that bad, but peeps did try to add me to their anathemas."
 
"Huh?" asked David. "Peeps? Anathemas?"
 
"Oh, yeah," said Tally, smacking her head, remembering that David grew up in the wild. "A peep is a type of vampire," she explained, trying to think of a way to explain what an Anathema was. "Read these books," said Tally, taking out two books called PEEPS and The Last Days that she had for some unknown reason, kept from her Ugly days. "Okay," said Tally, moving on to a different subject other than peeps and anathemas.
 
She listened to her skintenna.
 
“Oh, and what the Rusties had called Hollywood and Diego are fighting,” it said.
 
It also mentioned a party celebrating the end of Prettytime.
 
“Can you believe that?” Tally said to David. “They're actually throwing a party about the Mind Rain beginning.”
 
“That's... a little strange,” said David. “Hey, now that the Prettytime has ended do you think they will still be able to get the Pretty operation it will just be... cured like my parents had planned?”
 
“I don't know,” said Tally. “I guess that could work. “What would really be the whole point of that anyway though?”
 
Later, when nighttime fell...
 
"I've never really noticed how beautiful nighttime was," said Tally. "As an Ugly I only paid attention to the bubblehead parties going on, same with when I was a bubblehead myself." She looked up at the star Zane. She tried to see it, but it wasn't there anymore. If it was, it no longer glowed.
 
"Just like Zane," she said, tears welling up in her eyes. "The star in my eye that no longer shines in the sky, is Zane." Tally sobbed, telling herself it had to happen. Everybody saw it coming. His brain was full of lesions; he would have died even without trying to impress her. Tears welled up in her eyes anyway, and she finally cried. "No... Oh, Zane."
 
What am I doing here? thought Tally. No, no, Tally don't think that. She really was happy out here, Zane or no Zane. No matter how much it hurt her, she was happy being here. She was very, very happy. That night, she had a good dream. David was right, she may be the only Special that is left, but she had amazing things in her future.
 
Then, a few years later in Japan, EXTRAS was beginning...