Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ Heart of Dust ❯ Memories and Mistakes ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Heart of Dust

Chp. 7 Memories and Mistakes

Rating: PG-13

**God Give me Strength by Elvis Costello

***Between Two Worlds by Shawn Colvin

****A Boat on the Sea by Kristin Vigard

****************

Even after being away from the confines of the Valerian for a short time Juri noted that little would ever change about the place. The drinks would always be strong, the tables a bit wobbly, and the Ohtori twins would always be causally whispering some endearing or seductive remark into the ear of some beautiful young woman. With ease she spotted the two she was to be meeting, again noting how little changed.

Spike and Julia, Julia and Spike they were a couple as solid as Cathy and Duo. No wavering in their affection and except that one time Juri had mistakenly hit on Julia nothing ever threatened to tear them apart. The memory wasn't exactly warm and fuzzy but it was light and easy. Juri had been in the top slot of the fencing trials for the Olympics when she first spotted Julia. Golden hair billowing around her as she removed her facemask and that warm, almost too perfect smile capturing any and all who dared approach. She wasn't surprised when Julia turned her down. No the stoic fencer was more surprised by the mention of Julia's lanky boyfriend, and a boxer no less. They were fast friends at the trials, and a trial, well that sort of put a damper on the entire experience.

Not a real trial, no courts or councils, judges or lawyers just a trial of will and honor. And all three were never happier with the strides they made as they left the trials effective losers. Julia was quickly knocked out of contention when she injured her hamstring. An old rival beat Spike and Juri never asked or learned when or how the rivalry started. And as for Juri's fencing career… Well she made the cut. She was on the team easy as pie and no one doubted how far she would go. There was just one problem and that was the coach. He had been a pompous and tiring man from the beginning. Once he insulted one of the weaker members of the team delivering a tongue lashing barely anyone could survive. Juri Arisugawa may have only been seventeen and she may have gone far, but she was a knightly young woman. She was strong and she was very particular about how members of a team should treat each other. In her own school they had called her a prince and a panther because she could switch from being a savior to a destroyer with ease. She couldn't take the coaches verbal attacks on her teammates. Nor would she allow it. There was a fine line between necessary discipline and abuse, and that man was clearly abusing his position. Juri did the only thing she could… she called him out. Grabbed a foil and after taking the match was quickly expelled from the team. Her point was made clear though and several other top members left behind their Olympic hopes and followed her. She assumed many went back the following years but she was pretty much black listed from competition. And the black list wasn't because other coaches or judges thought she was a troublemaker… not that had come from the power the man she had defeated yielded over everything. She left with grace and still picked up a foil now and again if someone wanted help.

She sighed. Maybe it was a mistake to leave behind the very things that could have made her life easier, but her pride and honor always got in the way.

Getting closer to the table she noted the golden band that wrapped around Julia's finger. She smirked greeted by smiles as she pulled up a chair.

"Care to explain that," Juri asked taping her finger.

"Had to make sure she'd stick a round," Spike shrugged.

Julia smiled wryly, "Yes but I don't know how long that'll be with Juri here." She winked.

The ex-fencer held up her hands and waved them lightly, "Oh no… I'm on the rebound. I wouldn't want to have to face him in the ring," she paused to add, "Again."

After some talking and catching up Cathy and Duo emerged to make the occasion even more cheerful, and Juri relayed with much reluctance the tale of her Olympic days. It was a nice evening and a nice change, but later she caught a glance from the violet-eyed girl looking down from the pool tables. She excused herself and those around her just watched in fear, as they could do nothing to stop her.

*****************************

**That song is sung out

This bell is rung out

She was the light that I blessed

She took my last chance at happiness

So God give me strength

God give me strength**

****************************

Shiori had her head slightly tilted to one side as Juri approached a small and polite smile gracing her lips, thoughts over run with possibilities. The cruel butterfly met the panther's nearly cold gaze with ease, brushed back her violet-black hair and waited.

"Why were you watching me," Juri asked coolly.

"Because I can," Shiori replied, "besides I was hoping to catch your eye."

"So you could whisper another insult into my ears?"

Her demeanor darkened a bit, "So I could warn you."

The cool angel was not one to fall so easily into obvious traps but she asked, "Warn me about what?"

"There's a dragon on your tail… I think she means you harm."

Auburn locks swayed as she turned her back to walk away calling over her shoulder, "I have no fear of dragons. They at least never lie."

******************************

***I'm not who I was

And I'm not where I'm going

I'm so tired of knowing there's

No way of knowing

You left me stranded between two worlds

You turned me into a mixed up girl ***

******************************

Finding her self remarkably immune to Shiori's "warning" Juri stalked back down to her friends and stopped in her tracks by the grand entrance of the foreordained dragon. Juri found an odd expression on the older woman's face. It was almost… hurt. She caught the dark eyes and hurriedly went to meet her.

What was it?

She couldn't tell but it was different than the calm and seductive aura Kanoe usually carried about her. Finally face to face Juri took the woman's hand and lead her outside.

"Are you okay," she asked as the chilled night air weaned around her, eyes heavy with concern.

The dragon grinned with noted sadness and then as if losing all will she shook her head. Juri was taken by the confession. Never had she known the dragon to confess anything… she paused in her thought. No that wasn't true she had confessed once before when she thought Juri was sleeping. It echoed in her memory the very sound still fresh, "I could have loved you, but for the lady… "

"Kanoe," a bit more surprise in her tone as she quickly lifted a hand to catch the tear that was beginning its journey down the older woman's cheek. "Kanoe… you're…"

"Shhhh," the older woman lifted a finger to Juri's lips. "I know. It was really silly of me to come out tonight." She took a breath, "I'll go home."

Kanoe stepped back slowly but she didn't get very far because her angel's hand tugged at her wrist.

"Why don't," she waited a breath still unsure of what she was going to say, "Why don't you let me give you a ride?"

***************************

**** I never knew I was built so strong

My heart, my heart

Is a boat on the sea

I never thought I was built for hurricanes

My heart my heart is a boat on the sea****

***************************

She came upon the moment slowly, far enough away not to be seen and close enough to see every pale movement, and hear every soft word. Well hidden by the shadows, curious and unexpectedly hurt as she watched the angel lead the dragon away. Stormy gray eyes caught in a sea as she nodded slowly. A goddess's heart was built to be strong in such moments and she prayed… She prayed for an instant that it was nothing.

She sighed, "I guess she beat me then." She shut her eyes chiding her emotions; "I have no claim… I shouldn't be jealous… I have no claim… But…" She leaned back against whatever solid thing was near. "I'm still…" Dorothy couldn't speak the words out loud.

To be continued….