Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ Heart of Dust ❯ Interlude ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Heart of Dust

Chp. 9 Interlude

Rating: PG-13

**Mantra For the Lost

***Kitto OK

Characters aren't mine just borrowing

********************************

"So," Cathy took a lazy sip of her coffee, "What did you say?"

"Nothing."

The redhead scoffed, "Nothing? How do you say nothing to 'Oh by the way I think I'm still in love with you'?"

Hazel eyes drifted to the floor, "She left before I could say anything besides 'wait' and 'come back'."

"Why?"

A long sad sigh left Juri's throat, "Because two seconds after she said it she knew exactly what I was going to say."

"Which was?"

Juri looked up miserably and shook her head, "I don't feel the same way."

"You're kidding right?"

"No."

"Oh God you aren't," Cathy realized. "Why are you so stupid?"

Juri looked grave, "What would hurt more pretending to be in love and later breaking her heart or telling her the truth now?" She shook her head again; "It doesn't matter both hurt…just… I hope she'll talk to me again."

"You," Cathy grimaced. "You aren't in love with Kanoe are you?"

"No."

"Oh thank God!"

"Besides even if I was…she's in love with someone else."

An eyebrow popped up; "I have trouble believing anyone known as The Dragon Lady could be in love."

"Well… she is…," Juri sucked in a deep breath. "I have to get ready for school. This isn't going to be a fun day."

********************

**Oh for the life of me

I can't see where it is I'm going**

********************

She barely survived class. Somehow Saitou picked up on Juri's mood and decided to call on her for as many things as possible. She felt like she was in the middle of some strange academic firing squad. By the end of class she found herself dragging her feet to the library to do her homework, and soon after that sluggishly shrank into her Modern Mythology class. The professor merely looked her over curiously and then conducted class as normal.

After school Juri went straight to work on another double shift. Her co-workers noted her quiet demeanor and consequentially stayed out off her way, of course that's not to say Juri didn't give them plenty of reasons to stay as far from her as possible. Half way through her first shift the assistant manager called her to the office.

"Having a bad day Arisugawa," the woman asked while scribbling something down, most likely invoices, her fiery brown eyes striking a chord.

"It's… yes I'm having a bad day," Juri sighed and took a seat.

"Well I can tell you're trying not to let it affect your work but it must be said that your co-workers are afraid to be near you today. And there are some interesting rumors going along with it as well."

"Great," the stoic angel muttered.

The assistant manager shrugged, "Oh I don't care about that I just want to make sure you're all right. I mean Saonji knocked over half a display down there and all you did was look at him and tell him to fix it. And he actually did it. I've never seen him so afraid of you."

Hazel eyes shut; "Must be bad if he's afraid of me. Great…what do you want me to do Chigusa?"

"I want you…to tone down the death looks if you can. And maybe tell me what the problem is."

"It's personal."

"Of that I have no doubt... still before you go off on a rampage and hurt someone with that sharp tongue of yours maybe you should get some of it off your chest," she stated a smoky edge to her voice.

Before Juri could begin there was a knock on the door. One of the bag boys came in with a bouquet of orange roses and handed them to Juri who hid her shock as best as she could. Chigusa just looked on knowingly and ushered the bag boy out of her office. Juri checked the card and attempted to hide her blush.

"Well this would explain some of it," Chigusa stated.

"No…this just adds to it I'm afraid." Juri glanced at the card again the name neatly signed saying 'thank you' and 'I'm sorry' all at once. "Kanoe", she whispered. "I really should get back to work."

"Of course don't let me keep you," the assistant manger said. "Just try and keep the death glares to a minimum."

"Right."

**********************

**Oh for the life of me

I can't see where it is I'm going

I'm growing**

**********************

She arrived home at about eight in the morning. Took her roses and threw them into a suitable vase and then wandered over to her answering machine. Hit the play button and listened:

~~~~Beep~~~~

"Hey…give me a call 'kay. I'm sorry I left like that"

Dorothy… Juri shook her head. She didn't want to hurt her. She was too a good a friend to hurt.

~~~~~~Beep~~~~

"Yo! Hey big sis! It's little bro! Look I just wanted you to know that I'll be coming up in about a month or so. And I'm bringing my girl. You'll love her. She's great…greater than anyone you've ever met. See ya around. I'll call back later with flight details and stuff."

Juri shook her head. Her little brother would be a nice change of pace. Maybe he could help her work things out, although she had to wonder what this new girl was like. Sorata had a set type of girl he chased after, and Juri was curious to see if this new girl was a kendo fanatic, a priestess at a Shinto shrine, or some strange combination of the two. She was sure it would be interesting either way.

~~~~~~Beep~~~~~~

"I hope you liked the flowers. Call me whenever you get this message. I want to… ask you something."

Juri could only guess what it was.

~~~Beep~~~

There was a slight sob on the line and then a small and familiar voice.

"J-Juri… Juri… I need you. P-p-please come over. Please…"

************************

**This is all there is

This is all there is

Oh for the life of me I can't see

Where it is I'm going**

************************

Why she trusted the message she didn't know, but her princely manner kicked in at the sound of the young woman crying and pleading. She arrived at the small apartment complex in less than ten minutes and dashed to the door. Composing herself as it swung open and the petite girl with violet-black hair on the other side rushed out and clung to her like her very life depended on it. Juri calmed the girl enough to tilt her head upward, jaw clenching when she saw the black eye that was practically the same color as the girl's eyes.

"Who hit you?"

"I…"

"Shiori," Juri held the smaller girl to her tightly. "Who did this?"

"Don't-"

"This is why you called isn't it? Who did it?"

Shiori pushed away with noticeable shame, "No one you know."

"Sh-Shiori," Juri's tone dipped softer. She bowed her head, "Look… it doesn't matter. You called…I'm here… what do you need me to do?"

The girl sniffed and then moved back over to the taller girl sobbing into her chest, "Just take me away from here please."

"Okay…Okay…come on…let's go."

***************************

*** Maybe it will turn out fine, yeah, so I'm sure it will turn out fine
Your chance is right in front of you ---
It's fine… it's sure to be OK!***

***************************

The car ride was void of conversation. Juri would glance over to check on Shiori periodically but not much had changed. And even though she felt guilty for thinking so she considered the possibility that this was an act…but no… Juri knew when the violet-eyed girl was pretending. She knew when Shiori was scheming and this was no scheme. Dorothy's car was in the driveway. The auburn haired beauty sighed miserably. The day couldn't get much worse.

The pale blonde eased out of the house to meet Juri in the driveway, at first wary when she noted who the angel's passenger was. Then the goddess got a rare glint in her eye as Juri and Shiori walked to the door.

"Who did it," she demanded.

"No one we know," Juri stated calmly, Shiori clutching her tightly. "Let me get her inside huh?"

With some effort she ushered the smaller girl to her room, where the violet eyed girl sank onto the bed and curled up in a little ball. The knightly young woman sat and watched her for a bit and then got up to address the impending questions from Dorothy, though she didn't have much to tell.

"Don't leave me," a small voice called, smaller than usual, frailer, and sincerely hurt.

Juri curled up next to her and Shiori repositioned herself, begging for solace as she let the taller girl hold her. There was a light knock on the door as Dorothy entered, and then shrank back when she saw the two on the bed.

"Dorothy…don't go," Juri said.

With a free hand she patted the tiny spot next to her and Dorothy sat down.

"Looks like I'm desperately needed today," Juri whispered with a slight smile.

"Do you kn-"

"Know I don't know who did it…not yet," the panther interrupted watching the stormy eyes of the goddess form possibilities in her head. "But I intend to."

Shiori whimpered a bit and then stated soberly, "I deserved it. I really did."

The goddess looked enraged but Juri placed a hand on her lap and clamed her.

"We can talk about it later," Juri assured. "For now…I think some rest is in order."

*******************************

*** A chance meeting can change your whole future
Believe in miracles, things will work out…
It's gonna be OK***

******************************

To be continued…