Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Toki ni Ai wa ❯ Questions of Revolution ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Toki ni Ai wa

Disclaimer: Yeah, I will own Utena and YYH. That's guaranteed. Yep, I'll own them the day after I'm dead . . . so I guess, you can say I'll never own it (living anyway T_T)

Tsumi: Wow, I didn't think you all would like this fic so much! Thank you all for your supportive reviews! It's the reason this is out so fast.

Onto the fic!

Chapter Two: Question of Revolution

Utena closed the door to her room, a small smile on her lips. It had been a while since she met someone who didn't idolize her, placed her on a pedestal, or thought of her as an inferior or plaything.

[Yusuke . . . he treated me as an equal.]

Though he seemed slightly depressed (she had no idea about what), Yusuke was good company, and Utena could already tell that he was loyal to those he deemed friends and hoped she could be accounted as one of them in the near future.

After the incident with the thugs, Yusuke had taken it upon himself to walk her home. [Chivalry.] Utena though, the smile growing slightly. It was one of the things in her own code of conduct, the same code she came up with when she was seven. It was that day that her parents had died, and a rose scented prince kissed her tears away.

"Little one," He had said, "bearing up alone under grief, please lose not thy strength and nobility when thou growest up." And it was then that she, herself, wanted to be just like him and do the protecting from now on.

"As a token of this day, please retain this."

Unwillingly, Utena looked down at her hand, the rose seal ring still on her finger. [Was it fate that led me to Ohtori Academy, or was I just another piece in Akio's game?] She ran a hand over her eyes and thought back to one of her earlier questions. [Was revolution worth everything?]

She gave a frustrated sigh and decided to get something to eat. One last thought crossed her mind as she opened the door and exited her room. [I hope Anthy's doing alright.]

~*~

[That must be what Kuwabara was talking about.] Yusuke noted mildly as he focused on Utena's aura, seeing the same hidden brightness he talked about.

After Yusuke had scared the sh*t out of the thugs, he offered to walk Utena home. He had no friggin' idea why, and now, as they reached her home, he was still wondering about it. [I wasn't ever this nice with Keiko.] He thought, some of the momentarily forgotten pain returning. [Must be because she's new at the school . . .]

They reached the house Utena was currently living at with her aunt[1] and Utena smiled again. "Thanks again, Yusuke-san."

"Drop the '-san' crap." Yusuke said. "It's just Yusuke."

Utena blinked a time or two before choking back a laugh and smiling again. "I'll see you at school tomorrow. Ja, Yusuke!" With a wave, Utena walked into her home and shut the door behind her.

Yusuke sighed and ran a hand through his slicked back hair, before heading back toward his apartment building.

"I never expected you to be so gentleman-like, Yusuke."

The bubbly voice that had appeared behind him made Yusuke jump. Turning around, he came face to face with a girl with sky blue hair tied up in a high ponytail. "Damnit Botan, don't sneak up on me like that!" Yusuke yelled.

Botan giggled. "You're not so easily startled, Yusuke. You must be thinking of big blue eyes."

"Shut up!" Yusuke said as Botan laughed again. "You come here just to tease me, or do you have something useful to say?"

"Actually, I have a message from Koenma-sama." Yusuke groaned. Botan glared as she dug around in the bag she was carrying. "Here!" she said, pulling a disk from it.

"Whoa, DVD." Yusuke said in awe. "We're finally getting hi-tech."

"Make sure that the others see it as well, Yusuke." Botan said seriously.

"Yeah, yeah, I heard you." Yusuke said as he pocketed the disk.

Botan's oar materialized and she hopped on. "I have to be getting back; Ja!"

Yusuke watched as she vanished from sight and with another sigh, this one more agitated, he headed towards Kurama's house.

~*~

It only took one hour for the Reikai Tantei to be called over to Kurama's house (since his was the only one with a DVD player). Most of the waiting was done on Kuwabara, who had to be dragged by Yusuke from the arcade. With the four assembled, Kurama placed the disk into the drive and Koenma popped onto the screen.

Surprisingly, the god was in his teenage form, his pacifier no where in sight. He was sitting at his desk which was also cleared of all paperwork.

"What the hell?" Kuwabara asked out loud. Kurama shushed him as Koenma began speaking.

"Konichiwa, minna. There is a matter of severe importance that has come to my attention." The serious tone in Koenma's voice caught everyone by surprise, and gave the message even more attention. "A few weeks ago, there was a tremendous energy that came from Ohtori Academy." Yusuke's eyes narrowed slightly at the mention of Utena's former school. "We're not sure what exactly happened; except that everything at the school changed, as if a quite revolution swept through the school."

"A quiet revolution?" Kurama remarked quietly.

"The reason that we are so concerned about this is because we do not know if whoever holds such power is still alive or not. If he or she is, we want to know their intentions with such power." Koenma paused, apparently to let this all sink in. "Keep on the lookout for anything suspicious." And the message cut.

"I suppose this is of a high level of seriousness if Koenma seemed worried." Kurama remarked, ejecting the disk and handing it back to Yusuke.

Yusuke didn't notice the disk in front of his face. His thoughts were in turmoil as he went over the information he received and what he already knew about Utena, noticing with some surprise that it fit so well to her.

"Yusuke?" Kurama's soft voice questioned.

Yusuke blinked and looked up at Kurama, seeing the look of concern on the kitsune's face, and took the DVD back.

"Is something wrong?" Kurama asked.

"It's about this case." Yusuke said quietly.

Kurama's eyebrows raised slightly in slight surprise. "Yusuke, do you know anything about this? Please, tell us."

Yusuke sighed for the third time that day. "We got a new student from Ohtori Academy today." Kurama blinked as Yusuke continued. "Her name is Tenjou Utena. Kuwabara," he jerked a thumb at the boy sitting next to him, "Caught a glimpse of her aura and said it was strange."

"Was it?" Kurama asked.

Kuwabara nodded. "It was weird. It was bright, but hidden at the same time."

The kitsune nodded. "Anything else you found . . . odd about her?"

"I'll say. She wears the black boy's version of the uniform, and easily became popular in a few hours!" Yusuke complained.

"You looked really comfortable with her, Urameshi." Kuwabara remarked.

"Shut up, Kuwabara!"

"Saved her from those thugs from Kasanegafuchi-- [2]"

"I said, shut up, Kuwabara!"

"Even walked her home-"

"I SAID SHUT THE HELL UP, KUWABARA!" Yusuke lodged his fist in his face to make sure he got his point across.

Kurama sweatdropped as Kuwabara hit the floor with blood pouring from his face. Hiei just said, "Hn. Idiot." And returned to staring out the window.

Kurama coughed. "Yusuke, is any of this true?" He asked.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

Kurama sighed. "I didn't mean any offence." Yusuke quieted down and Kurama continued. "I believe that it would be best if you were to find out all you could about this Tenjou Utena. But stay on guard."

Yusuke blinked, but nodded. "I will." He stood up and grinned at Kurama.

Kurama and Kuwabara looked on shocked as Yusuke gave a usual 'Ja!' and left. "Maybe being around that Utena girl isn't such a bad thing after all, if it puts him in a better mood." Kuwabara said and Kurama nodded in agreement.

~*~

"Utena? Are you up yet? You're going to be late for school."

At the knocking at the door, Utena opened her eyes and sighed, sitting up from the comfortable nest of pillows and blankets she made in her bed. Sighing, she said, "I'm up." She swung her legs off the bed and stood up, stretching as she did.

"I made breakfast. Hurry before it's cold." And with that, the person behind the door left.

Utena smiled at the obvious worried tone her aunt used. Utena took a glance at the clock and noticed that she was running a little late. She gathered her uniform in her arms and walked out of her room and to the bathroom to take a quick shower.

Her aunt looked up as Utena entered the kitchen, now in her black male uniform. She shook her head as Utena sat down and began to eat. "Utena, when are you going to start dressing like a girl?"

"Never. We've been over this."

"But I think you would look adorable in the Sarayashiki girl's uniform . . ."

"Stop right there. I told you, I'm not wearing a skirt, not while I'm doing so many sports and activities."

Her aunt was about to heave another comment but the doorbell cut her off. "Stay right there, Tenjou Utena," She said as Utena rose to answer the door. "I'll get it." Utena scowled slightly and finished off the rest of her breakfast.

As she opened the door, she was confronted with the sight of a boy with slicked back hair and chocolate eyes in the green version of the Sarayashiki boy's uniform. Behind him was a slightly taller boy with blood red hair and emerald green eyes. He was dressed in the pink uniform of Meiou.

"Um, is Utena here?" The boy with black hair asked.

~*~

"I still don't see why the hell we have to do this!"

"It would be best, Yusuke."

"She got to school on her own fine yesterday!"

"Yusuke . . ."

Yusuke finally coincided at the pleading expression on the kitsune's face. It wasn't that he didn't want to see Utena again; he just thought it was a bit suspicious if he was to show up at her door to walk her to school. Kurama said that 'if she asked, to say you were concerned about being confronted by the bullies from Kasanegafuchi'.

[Easy for him to say,] Yusuke thought irritbly. [I've got a reputation as the local bad ass to maintain!]

"Yusuke, daijoubu?"

Yusuke looked at Kurama, who again, looked concerned. "I'm fine, why ask?"

"Well, Kuwabara, myself, and your mother have all been worried about you since . . ."

Kurama trailed off and Yusuke felt the weight of the uncomfortable silence settle around his shoulders. He knew Kurama was waiting for an answer, but he couldn't think of one to give him. It was just luck for him that they had arrived at Utena's home. With a shrug, Yusuke rung the doorbell. A few moments later, a woman, who looked eerily like Utena, except with short hair a shade darker and darker eyes, appeared from behind the door. [This must be her aunt.] Yusuke thought. [Yep, they're definitely related.] As the woman's eyes passed over the two, Yusuke spoke.

"Um, is Utena here?"

The woman blinked once or twice, and before she could respond, Utena's voice rang out from behind her.

"It's okay, auntie. Yusuke's in the same class as me."

Kurama had to turn the small laugh he had into a cough at the relieved expression that crossed Yusuke's face at the sound of Utena's voice. It was then that said girl appeared, a piece of toast in her mouth and Kurama smiled inwardly. Exactly like Yusuke had said, she wore a boy's uniform in a black color, and seemed to possess an unusual amount of confidence. And, as Kuwabara has said, her aura was strange. It was near blinding bright, but at the same time, it wasn't there.

As Yusuke and Utena said their hellos, Utena looked over to Kurama and tilted her head slightly in a curious gesture.

Yusuke jumped in, "This is a good friend of mine, Ku . . . er . . . Minamino Shuiichi." He cursed himself silently at the small slip that nearly gave Kurama's real name away.

Utena blinked, but smiled and bowed. "I'm Tenjou Utena. It's nice to meet you."

~*~

Utena, despite her aunt's wishes, had gotten up as soon as she was out of sight, with a piece of toast in her mouth, and made her way to genkan [3] to put her shoes on. When she heard Yusuke's voice, and saw the near evil-eye that her aunt was giving him, she decided to intervene. "It's okay, auntie. Yusuke's in the same class as me." she replaced the piece of toast in her mouth and stood up, walking to the door, where Yusuke was waiting. She managed to give a bright smile to her aunt and waved, closing the door behind her.

She finished off her toast and said hello to Yusuke before glancing over his shoulder at the slightly taller person behind him. He had green eyes, which were currently studying her and red hair the same shade as Touga's. Wondering who this boy was, Utena tilted her head slightly to the side and glanced curiously at the boy.

Yusuke jumped in at her look. "This is a good friend of mine, Ku . . . er . . . Minamino Shuiichi." Utena blinked at his slight slip before smiling and bowing.

"I'm Tenjou Utena. It's nice to meet you." Kurama smiled back in response as Utena straightened. "You go to Meiou, right?" She asked.

"You know of it?" Kurama replied.

"Auntie wanted me to go there, but because of certain disagreements," She motioned to her uniform, "I was placed at Sarayashiki."

Kurama nodded and said, "Speaking of school, we will be late if we don't leave."

After a few minutes, Kurama parted ways with the other two, saying that he would 'see them at lunch', and headed off to his school. Yusuke and Utena stayed in silence before Utena spoke up.

"Yusuke, why did you decide to walk me to school?"

"Just to make sure those jerks wouldn't jump you again."

Utena blinked but smiled. "That's kind of you to be thinking of another, Yusuke." [Very noble to put someone else's well being before your own.] She thought.

Yusuke seemed taken aback, but quickly regained his bad boy attitude. "Yeah, yeah." He said.

As the two entered the school grounds, Utena closed her eyes and waited for the inevitable.

"Ohayo, Utena-san." A group of girls chorused.

"Ohayo." Utena waved at them with a smile, causing the girls to swoon and giggle.

Yusuke blinked in surprise as many more similar greetings were given to Utena from both boys and girls. "Weird . . ." He muttered.

"I'm used to it." Utena replied, a sudden hint of sadness in her voice, as the events unfolding in the Sarayashiki schoolyard seemed similar to those of Ohtori.

Yusuke frowned at her lightly, wondering why she suddenly seemed saddened.

~*~

[1] - Utena lived with her aunt in the manga, which is mentioned in vol. 1: Prelude to Tomorrow.

[2] - Kasanegafuchi was taken from the Yu Yu Hakusho manga; it's the name of the school which because Kuwabara & gang beat up, they had to go on a week of good behavior and get higher than a 50% on their science test in order for Akubo to keep his job.

[3] - A genkan is the place where, in Japanese homes, you take off or put your shoes on your shoes at. (Seen a lot in anime, trust me.)

Read 'n' review, minna!