Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Toki ni Ai wa ❯ Pasts and Tales ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Toki ni Ai wa

Disclaimers: Screw 'em. Ya know I don't own.

Tsumi: *growl* I need a new precious. (FYI: Precious=computer) And I need to murder my sibling. She managed to download Spyware AGAIN and now, after I debugged the precious, it's filled with viruses again! *sighs* Gomen for the long wait minna, I'll try writing on my school computers instead of my precious in the future.

Also, please don't expect me to update until Spring Break (I may if inspiration hits but . . .) I have a Physical Science lab and a Government paper due next week and I haven't even started either yet. *sweatdrop* I will try to update before then, but don't be disappointed or angry if I don't.

And finally, I decided to answer to all reviews I'm getting from now on. So, kawaii yasha (my very fateful reviewer), this chapter should answer your questions, k? ^-^

Enough author's notes; Onto the Fic!

Chapter Four: Pasts and Tales

Lunch had gone by without any more incidents, though Hiei kept glaring at Utena from the treetop he was currently hiding in. Kurama left after about five more minutes, saying something about extra class work and not wanting to be late. It wasn't like Yusuke was paying attention. It was a normal reaction for him to tune out when someone mentioned school.

The silence that Utena and Yusuke shared was almost smothering, until Yusuke, who was glancing at Utena out of the corner of his eye, finally decided to ask a question that had been bugging him since he met her. "Hey, Utena?"

Utena looked at him curiously, waiting for him to continue. He folded his arms behind his head and said, "Why do you wear a boy's uniform?"

Utena blinked and she smiled, half bitterly and half with some long forgotten joy. "You really want to know? It's a story that doesn't fit me at all."

"Now that you've got my full attention, yes."

Utena's smile became softer and she closed her eyes. "I was six when mom and dad died. I remember being so sad, and then . . . a prince appeared. He had such a kind smile and he wiped my tears away. 'Little one', he told me, 'bearing up alone under grief, please lose not thy strength and nobility when thou growest up. As a token of this day, please retain this.'" She held up her hand which bore her rose signet ring. "I was so impressed by him that since then, I wanted to become a prince too." She gave a bitter little laugh. "I honestly don't know if it was such a good idea, now."

[Why would she be having doubts after she followed her dream this long?] Yusuke thought, confused. Aloud he said, "I wouldn't say that, Utena." Her head snapped up and she looked at Yusuke in what he thought shock. "You've only been at our school two days, but you've already managed to capture everyone's endearment with your charm, and prince-like attitude. It makes you different from every other girl."

Utena blinked a few times before her eyes took on a sad look to them and were cast down to her ring. "It wasn't enough though . . ." She muttered.

[What wasn't enough?] Yusuke thought. "What?"

Utena blinked, as if she didn't realize she said that out loud. "Er . . . forget I said anything." She said, sweatdropping.

~*~

[I feel like I'm going to go crazy if this silence doesn't end soon.] Utena thought. After Yusuke's sudden outburst, the two fell into a less than comfortable silence. About five minutes later, Shuiichi said that he had to leave to take care of some extra credit work. His eyes had darted to the tree that Yusuke sat under, before he caught her gaze and smiled gently before walking off.

Now Yusuke and herself sat alone on the bench under the tree. In silence. In nerve-wracking, thick, absolute silence. Utena was about to rip her own hair out if something didn't happen soon! She didn't know why this was making her uneasy, but she wanted it to stop!

"Hey, Utena?"

Utena let out a mental sigh of relief and turned to Yusuke, wondering what he wanted to ask. Yusuke just folded his arms behind his head and said, "Why do you wear a boy's uniform?"

Utena blinked. [Okay, not exactly a conversation I would have liked to get into, but . . .] She smiled, both from the memory of Prince Dios and the less fond memories of Ohtori and Akio. "You really want to know? It's a story that doesn't fit me at all."

"Now that you've got my full attention, yes."

Utena smiled softly and closed her eyes, the images of memory of that day so long ago flashing before her eyes. "I was six when mom and dad died. I remember being so sad, and then . . . a prince appeared. He had such a kind smile and he wiped my tears away. 'Little one', he told me, 'bearing up alone under grief, please lose not thy strength and nobility when thou growest up. As a token of this day, please retain this.'" She held up her hand which bore her rose signet ring. "I was so impressed by him that since then, I wanted to become a prince too." [And because of it, I ended up involved in the Duels.] She gave a bitter laugh. "I honestly don't know if it was such a good idea, now." Her head drooped down slightly as the image of the Rose Bride flashed through her mind.

"I wouldn't say that, Utena." Utena's eyes opened and she snapped her head up to look at Yusuke, who, for the first time she had seen, had a serious expression on his face. "You've only been at our school two days, but you've already managed to capture everyone's endearment with your charm, and prince-like attitude. It makes you different from every other girl."

[He likes my idea of being a prince?] Utena thought as she blinked a few times. Her eyes became sad again as she looked down at her rose signet ring. [It wasn't enough though . . .] She thought, the images of the last duel fleeting through her mind.

"What?"

Utena blinked once more. [Did I just say that out loud?!] She thought in a panic. "Er . . . forget I said anything." She could feel the sweatdrop slide down her skull.

Yusuke blinked as well, before shrugging. "Whatever." He said, standing up, absent-mindedly offering her a hand to help her up. She accepted and after she stood, Yusuke stuck his hands into his pockets. "Let's get back to school; I'm sure that all the girls in your fanclub would be disappointed if you didn't come back for lunch."

[That's probably true.] Utena thought as she took Yusuke's hand to stand up. She blinked. [Huh. His hands are softer than I thought they would be.]

She didn't know how long she had been just thinking about something like that until Yusuke cleared his throat and said, "You ready to let go of my hand?"

Utena blinked a couple of times before she ended up turning a bright shade of pink. "G-gomen, Yusuke!"

Yusuke just shrugged as she let go. "It's fine." He said as the two walked back toward the school, again in silence, but unlike the one before, this one was much more comfortable and welcome.

As they entered the school grounds, Utena saw the same girl that had slapped Yusuke. [Keiko . . . Yusuke's ex-girlfriend.] She frowned lightly and couldn't stop the question that came. "Why did you and Keiko break up, Yusuke?"

Yusuke blinked and looked at Utena, who had slapped a hand over her mouth, her eyes cast downward. She sweatdropped and said, "Forget I asked."

"Nah, it's okay . . ." Utena blinked and looked up at Yusuke. "You told me why you wore your uniform, so it's only fair, right?"

"Yusuke, you don't have to just to pay me back--"

Yusuke shook his head and Utena cut off her own sentence. "We got some time before our next class." Yusuke stated as he walked over to one of the trees in the courtyard, giving the former occupants the Look, which made all five vacate the spot rather quickly. Utena covered up the small laugh that emerged from her mouth with her hand and as Yusuke took a seat, she did as well. "Where to begin . . ." Yusuke said absent-mindedly, glancing up at the sky.

~*~

Yusuke blinked a few times. After offering Utena a hand to help her up, he found that the pink-haired girl was holding on just a little bit too long. Yusuke cleared his throat Kurama-style to get her attention and said, "You ready to let go of my hand?"

He watched as Utena came out of her thoughts with a couple of blinks before pulling her hand back quickly, blushing a bright pink. "G-gomen, Yusuke!"

[So, even she can get embarrassed.] Yusuke thought, amused. He shrugged and said, "It's fine." before turning on heel and heading toward the school. He let out a small sigh of relief to find that the silence that followed was not as smothering as the one before.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Utena looking around the courtyard, before stopping on someone and a frown creased her features. He shrugged it off as none of his concern, until she said, "Why did you and Keiko break up, Yusuke?" He blinked and watched as she slapped a hand over her mouth and averted his eyes from him. She sweatdropped and said, "Forget I asked."

"Nah, it's okay . . ." Utena blinked and looked up at Yusuke, slight confusion clear on her face. "You told me why you wore your uniform, so it's only fair, right?"

The confused look faded into one of slight alarm and concern."Yusuke, you don't have to just to pay me back--"

Yusuke shook his head slightly. and Utena cut off her own sentence. "We got some time before our next class." Yusuke stated as he headed toward a tree, slightly farther away from everyone else. He gave the five people there the Look, the one that would have almost anyone pissing in their pants, and watched with a small grin as the former occupants ran as far as they could from him. He also heard Utena cover up a laugh with her hand as he sat down, the girl following the example. He sighed and looked up at the sky. "Where to begin . . ." He said as he saw the events as plain as day flash before his mind's eye.

~*~

"You're a WHAT?!"

Yusuke winced as Keiko's voice hit a particularly high note. He shifted his feet nervously and looked down. It would have been quite amusing to see the Reikai Tantei, and now Lord of the Makai, who could look the toughest opponent in the eye, match anyone glare for glare, become a bit of a nervous wreck at the tone of his girlfriend, if this were a different time. His actions were somewhat understandable, knowing that he was about to face the wrath of someone more fearsome than Raizen or Toguro Otouto.

Taking a deep breath to calm his nerves, he said in a clear and steady voice. "I'm part Mazoku, and a Lord of the Makai."

Seconds passed by, then minutes, the tension in the become more and more thick, threatening to suffocate him if it didn't break soon.

When Keiko did speak, her voice was flat and strained. "How long?" Yusuke blinked and Keiko elaborated. "How long have you known, Yusuke?"

Yusuke gulped. Now to drop the bombshell. "About three weeks, since the Makai Tournament."

The tension only increased, making Yusuke sweat. It was like someone pressed the mute button and now all he could hear was his heart beating loudly in his ears as the feeling of dread crept into the pit of his stomach.

Finally, Keiko exploded. "THREE WEEKS?!" Yusuke winced again at the high tone. "It took you three weeks to tell me this?!"

"Keiko, I didn't--"

"Didn't what, Yusuke?! Want to tell me?! Didn't want your girlfriend, who's stuck by you since this whole Reikai Tantei thing began, who revived you, to know?! I just can't believe you Yusuke!"

"Keiko, it wasn't like that!"

"I don't want to hear it!"

"Keiko, please--"

*smack*

Keiko watched impassively as Yusuke placed a hand on the now red cheek. Never, throughout their relationship had Keiko ever been truly upset enough to hit him. Keiko straightened and fixed an angry glare on her face. "We're through, Yusuke." With that said, she spun on heel and walked off.

"Wait, Keiko!" Yusuke yelled after her as she disappeared from sight.

~*~

" . . . And that had been it." Yusuke, of course, left out the parts about being a detective of the Reikai, and figuring some constructive ways of making the story work. He picked up a small rock and chucked it as far as he could.

Utena, who was standing up now, with her arms crossed over her chest and her eyes closed, leaning against the tree, spoke quietly. "She wasn't the one for you, Yusuke." She opened her eyes and caught Yusuke's with her own. "If she couldn't accept the fact that you had to keep something from her so that it didn't worry her, then obviously she wasn't the one for you. If you two were truly meant to be, she would have maybe tried to see things from your point of view and try to understand why you didn't tell her. Or at least stayed calm long enough for you to give an explanation to why you didn't tell her until then."

Yusuke blinked. [That does make a lot of sense. . .] He thought mildly. His thoughts were interrupted as the school bell rang, ending their lunch period. Standing up, he dusted off his uniform, grabbed his bag and he and Utena entered the school. Since both of them had different classes (Yusuke had English while Utena had math), they parted ways in the hall. Before she left, Yusuke gave Utena a smile, one not just painted on to make others not worry about him, but one that truly expressed how he felt and said, "Thanks for listening, Utena." Utena nodded, smiled back and walked off with a careless wave.

~*~

Thank gods it's done! *wipes sweat off brow* R&R minna!

Shiroi Hikari - I know, just had to tease you a bit. ^-^ And the whole PMS-ing part . . . that's just a bit too much info for me. *sweatdrop*

Mystic Light Maiden - Really, you'll review every chapter? Yay! Trust me, I go on a 'If-I-get-reviews-I'll-update' system, so reviews are a great help. And you're going to be making a Beyblade/YYH crossover? I want first read! Please update your other fics soon!

Dark Flair - Like your new screenname. ^-^ Really, you're doing a RGU/YYH crossover with an YusukeUtena pairing? I've become a trend setter! *looks up* As I promised, charity work begins tomorrow. Anyway, I'll review it probably when I get to school since my precious is a piece of crap. *sigh* I need a new precious . . . And about that Wakaba part . . . YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!!! I honestly didn't know how I was going to get past a certain part, but that makes it clear! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! You get, um . . . a cookie! Yeah, a cookie. (I don't have anything else so . . .)