Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Toki ni Ai wa ❯ Friendship or Something More? ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Toki ni Ai Wa

Disclaimer: If I owned YYH or RGU, my name would be on the credits.

Tsumi: Hey all! SPRING BREAK!!!!! I know a bunch of you have been waiting for this. ^-^ Chapter five done and out! And please minna, leave a review! The more I get, the more I will want to continue!

And, kawaii yasha, thanks for the ideas for scenes; I'll be using a little doorway scene in Chapter 7.

Onto the fic!

Chapter Five: Friendship or Something More?

Yusuke couldn't help but smile as Utena closed the door to her home. It had been about three weeks since she had came to Sarayashiki and the two of them had become pretty close, like best friends. Yusuke found someone willing to listen to him without any sort of biases, except when what he talked about violated her code of decorum she held herself by, and he realized more and more that she was right about Keiko: If the two of them were meant to be together, wouldn't she have tried to understand the situation he was in?

Of course, by being around Utena so much and creating habits like walking her home after school, gave rise to rumors and teasing. Quite a few girls in Utena's fanclub had been brave enough to glare daggers at him when he and Utena would walk by, which was a bit of a shock to the toughest thug in Sarayashiki. But, by far, the biggest teasing had come from his team.

Kurama had been giving Yusuke knowing smiles which frustrated Yusuke to no end, while Hiei would drop some kind of sarcastic comment.

Kuwabara, however, would take every opportunity to teas him to the point that he would beat the human into the ground. He smiled as he remembered the look on Utena's face that day he had done that in front of her. Her face was pink, her blue eyes wide and a large sweatdrop rolling down her scull.

Out of all the all the reactions he received, he would have preferred Kuwabara's teasing compared to Koenma's warning to stay on guard around her.

He couldn't bring himself to believe that Utena, despite what power she had hidden away, would use it for selfish reasons, like conquering the three worlds. He knew that she couldn't bring herself to harm another; it violated that code she wrote to become a Prince. He even told Botan this, who, in turn, told Koenma.

Speaking of which . . .

"Hey Botan." Yusuke said, trying to hide all trace of the good mood he felt. Judging by the smirk on her face, he guessed that it failed. she giggled and said,

"You seem to be in a good mood Yusuke. I wonder why . . ."

"SHUT UP!!!!"

Botan laughed and Yusuke looked ready to murder her without getting caught. Once she calmed down, she said. "Koenma-sama has a bit new information about that huge power at Ohtori."

"Well?"

Botan took a deep breath. "Researchers found a bit of a disturbing thing in common with everyone at the school. It seemed no one is able to leave or grow as a person because they're stuck."

"How so?"

"Everyone is tied down by their pasts. Though, that quiet revolution seemed to have changed things quite a bit." Botan looked down for a moment before saying, "It has Koenma even more suspicious of Utena."

"What?" Yusuke balked. "Why?"

"She was able to leave freely, Yusuke." Yusuke blinked. "After that tremendous energy output and quiet revolution, Utena left, as did a few others, including a girl named Himemiya Anthy, however we don't believe they at all connected to this."

"Who were the others that left?"

"Kiryuu Touga, Kaoru Miki, Arisugawa Juri, Saionji Kyouichi, and Shinohara Wakaba." Yusuke frowned lightly, remembering stories that she told of her friends at Ohtori, her best being Shinohara Wakaba. "Yusuke, there's something else."

"What?"

"No one at the school remembers Utena."

"That left Yusuke silent. After a couple of seconds, he said, "What?" He shook his head and returned back to his bad ass attitude. "What the hell does that mean?!"

"It was like she was never there, Yusuke." Botan explained calmly. Apparently, she had expected this reaction. She sighed and said "Yusuke, if this continues, we may have to send you and the other tantei to Ohtori to figure out this mystery."

*~*

Utena frowned lightly the next day as she and Yusuke walked to school. He was being much more quiet than he had ever been and she had a sneaking suspicion it was concerning her. She finally gave an irritable sigh and said "What's bugging you Yusuke?"

Yusuke jumped and blinked before shoving his hands in his pockets. He was quiet again and Utena thought he wasn't going to answer so she just looked off to the side.

"Hey, Utena?" Utena blinked and looked at Yusuke. "What was your best friend's name from Ohtori?"

Utena blinked. "Shinohara Wakaba." She said with a small smile. "She used to hang onto me and call me her girlfriend," Utena laughed quietly at the happy memories before it faded, "Until I found out she actually liked Saionji Kyouichi."

She looked at Yusuke, who was looking at her somewhat strangely, almost suspiciously. "Yusuke?"

He shook his head and said, "It's nothing."

Utena frowned again but didn't say anything. Instead she flicked her hair and walked into the school grounds, ignoring the shouts of 'Ohayo, Utena-sama!' from her fanclub. For some reason, Yusuke's attitude had put her into a very bad mood.

Later, however, made her suspicion rise even more as she went looking for Yusuke (who, again, had ditched PE) so she could go to lunch. She found him and Kuwabara on the roof, apparently talking about something.

"Find out anything new about her?"

"Not anything I've already told you."

Kuwabara and Yusuke were silent for a moment before Kuwabara spoke. "Kurama said that Koenma may have made a breakthrough in the case."

"Why didn't he send Botan to tell us?"

"Because shorty went to discuss it with him."

"Well, that's great."

[What's going on?] Utena thought. She shook her head and walked back down the stairs, deciding that lunch with Yusuke would not be the best thing right now.

After lunch, she unintentionally avoided Yusuke as she pondered what he was talking about. Even though she knew it wasn't any of her business, the thing, whatever it was, that they were talking about was bothering her to no end.

She didn't know how absorbed she was with her thoughts until she and Yusuke were walking to her home, and Yusuke stopped. "Utena, why have you been avoiding me all day?"

Utena blinked at the question. His head was bowed and he seemed to be studying the ground while waiting for her reply. "I haven't-"

"Why have you been avoiding me?" He asked again, cutting off her response.

"I've been thinking."

"About what?"

" . . ."

"About what, Utena?"

". . ."

"About what, Utena?!"

[About something you said that made me question everything I know about you.] Her mind replied, but she said nothing.

He frowned and took a few steps until the two of them were barely inches apart. "About what, Utena?"

Utena looked up into his face and could see that he was getting upset, but there was something else in his chocolate eyes. Was it . . . concern? Why would he be concerned about why she had avoided him all day?

She didn't notice that she had been backing up until her back hit the wall. Yusuke placed his arms on either side of her head so she couldn't escape and asked once more. "About what, Utena?" He asked quietly.

She unintentionally shuttered. He was so close to her that she could feel his breath on her face. All he would have to do is lean a bit farther and he would be able to kiss her . . .

Yusuke, however, broke the trance the two of them were in as he looked off to the side, his eyebrows furrowing as he moved away from her. Utena looked in the same direction and saw a somewhat short person standing there, his hands behind his back. His hair was untidy and stuck up in a shape reminiscent of a candle flame, its black color interrupted by a thatch of white near the front. He wore a white headband and shawl, but other than that, he was completely dressed in black. However, what caught her attention more than anything, was the fact that his eyes were a ruby red color.

Beside him stood Shuiichi, his hands in his pockets, and his crimson hair was blowing in the breeze. The look on his face betrayed that he was saddened by something, but by what, Utena didn't know.

To her surprise, Yusuke was the first to speak. "Kurama? Hiei?"

*~*

Yusuke didn't know why he felt so frustrated with Utena, when she didn't answer his question again. He didn't even know why he was now preventing her from running away from him by placing his hands on the wall behind her. He was just suddenly aware of how hard his heart was beating. "About what, Utena?" He asked quietly.

Utena shuttered and looked away from him, closing her eyes, a light blush stealing across her pale cheeks. She shifted a bit and he noticed just how close he had gotten to her. If he had wanted to, and he wasn't sure he didn't, all he would have to do was lean down a bit and he could . . .

He blinked and frowned lightly as he felt the ki of his fellow tantei. He backed away from Utena and turned to face his comrades. Kurama stood with his hands in his pockets and a sad look on his face while Hiei's bright eyes seemed to dance with an unholy glee.

And as usual, he wasn't thinking as he said, "Kurama? Hiei?"

Kurama looked away while Hiei nodded and walked up to himself and Utena. Hiei frowned lightly as he studied the girl, his Jagan flashing a bit from behind it's white ward as he said, "Tenjou Utena."

Utena looked surprised that Hiei knew her name, as it was obvious that the two of them had never met before. He smirked as he said, "I challenge you to a duel."

Yusuke saw Utena's eyes widen and her mouth hang open slightly. Out of all the looks he had seen on Utena's face, he liked this one the least. It was nothing short of pure terror. Hiei's smirk increased a bit more as he said, "If you are who I think you are, you can't refuse."

[What the hell is Hiei talking about?!] Yusuke thought. "Hiei, leave her alone!" Yusuke barked.

Hiei spared Yusuke a glance and Kurama said, "Yusuke, I apologize, but this has to be done."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?!"

"I . . . I accept your challenge."

Yusuke blinked and spun around, looking at Utena with wide eyes. "Utena . . ."

Hiei's smirk grew just a bit more and he said, "Good. I'll see you at the part at midnight." And, in a black blur, he disappeared from sight. Kurama gave Utena a last saddened look before he walked off as well.

*~*

Gods I'm evil, cliffhanger! Read 'n' review!

Tegasus - I hope the wait wasn't too terribly long. ^-^

Dark Flair - Glad you liked the cookie. And you're going to review every chapter too? Yayness! Have another cookie. *hands Dark Flair another cookie* My sister keeps "accidentally" downloading viruses, so . . . I really need to kill her don't I? *sigh* And you are a genius. Not even I thought of that! *firm nod* And I will talk to anyone through email (found on my bio page) or on YIM (fukaitsumi). Yep, I think we need to be friends, since we both have at least one thing in common: love for the Utena/Yusuke pairing!