Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Alongside the Geese ❯ Alongside the Geese 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Alongside the Geese: Part 4
 
There was something more than shock that etched their faces. They stood, unmoving, unblinking as if they were in a trance; as if they feared the other would disappear were they to move, or blink or even speak.
 
It was as if their surroundings, the building, the people; the distance between them disappeared leaving only Utena, Anthy and the rain. Lightning flashed nearby, momentarily silhouetting them, seconds later the thunder sounded.
 
Then, coming to as much a surprise to Anthy as it did Utena, the girl prince let slip a yelp when someone hurriedly bumped into her in passing, causing her to loose her balance.
 
In reaction Anthy motioned forward, “U-” but before she could even form the word, Utena regained her balance and was receiving somewhat of a scolding for having been in the person's way. Utena in turn apologized, none too whole heartedly and descended the rest of the steps.
 
“Himemiya?” she said as she neared.
 
The thunder and lightning crackled across the sky again and again and the rain was now pouring so heavily that the words `Utena-sama' could scarcely be heard, although Anthy hadn't intended to add the honorific.
 
Utena's lips trembled with the urge to speak. Though it could have just been from the rain, her eyes were moist, as if she were on the verge of tears. He hands slowly rose towards Anthy's face. They hesitated before they actually touched her.
 
“It's. . .it's really you isn't it? You're really here?”
 
Anthy appeared much the same. “Yes. Yes I'm really here,” she said as she grasped the other woman's hands, entwining their fingers. “Utena.”
 
The lack of formality was not lost to Utena. “Himemiya. . .” her voice cracked as her lips curled into a smile. “Himemiya.”
 
“Utena. . .” Anthy winced just then, looked away and rubbed at her eye. Something small and heavy had grazed her. She then felt something pelt the back of her neck. In no time they were pouring down as heavily as the rain. It was hailing.
 
“Come on,” Utena said, “my place is nearby.”
 
They broke into a run; their hands clasped together almost painfully Anthy noted. They moved off the main road and covered several back streets before they arrived at a small apartment building.
 
There was a moment where Utena fumbled for her clearance card, before they entered the building. The lobby hit them with a blast of cold air conditioning. Their skin goose bumped underneath their waterlogged clothes, though Anthy seemed to be adjusting to the temperature fairly quickly.
 
There was silence between them, aside from the chattering of Utena's teeth while they waited for the elevator. Utena seemed to have regained her composure somewhat since their meeting on the sidewalk. Upon stepping through its doors Utena said, “I'll find some clothes for you to change into-it's pretty lousy outside. You can crash here if you want to. . .”
 
Anthy pondered her proposal. “Yes. Thank you.”
 
The doors opened and they stepped out.
 
Utena let out a gasp as she led Anthy down the hallway. “Sorry. My place is a total mess. I haven't had time to clean this week.”
 
“Not to worry,” Anthy assured. “I won't be offended.”
 
They rounded the corner, stopped outside the nearest door; Utena unlocked it and held it for Anthy to enter. Instinctively Utena reached for and flicked on the lights. She gestured towards the washroom, “Why don't you take a shower-warm yourself up a little.”
 
Anthy watched Utena as she went about the room, “don't mind the floor. I'll set some clothes out for you-make some tea.” She headed to the kitchen and snatched up the kettle, brought it over to the sink and filled it, “I'll get the cookies too-I'm sure they're here somewhere-” forgetting the kettle in the sink Utena began searching the cupboards. “I just bought them the other day,” she moved to the next cupboard, becoming more frantic. “I know I've still got some-”
 
“Utena.” Anthy called, making her way over to the girl-prince.
 
She turned, her pink hair clinging as wildly to her face as her uniform clung to her body. “I just-”
 
Anthy's hands reached up to Utena's face.
 
“I just-” Utena hiccupped and found herself unable to stop the tears from falling. “I just-”
 
Her arms wrapped around Anthy's waist, her face buried into the dark skinned woman's neck. “I just. . .” and she couldn't say anymore.
 
“Shhh.” Anthy cued and suddenly found it very difficult not to cry. She wasn't used to consoling someone. She kept quite, listening to Utena's sobs and stroking her hair.
 
“I thought I'd never see you again,” Utena gasped.
 
“I couldn't find you, Himemiya-or Ohtori. They said it didn't exist. I-”
 
Anthy pulled away, made Utena look at her and then, gently kissed the tears from her eyes. “It's all right now.”
 
“I failed you.”
 
Anthy's tears welled. “No. I'm here now because you didn't.”
 
They stared at each other until they calmed.
 
Utena touched her forehead to Anthy's. “I'm so glad that you're free.”
 
“Yes, thank you.” Anthy said earnestly.
 
“Even though-”
 
“We're not going there.” Utena said. “We've already been through this-there's nothing to apologize for. What's done is done.”
 
“Yes.”
 
They disengaged from each other.
 
“Sorry about all that,” Utena weakly laughed as she retrieved the kettle and set it on the stove.
 
“Don't be.”
 
Utena went to retrieve the tea bags. “Oh. . .”
 
“What is it?”
 
Utena smiled, “I found the cookies.”
 
“Oh?” Anthy said. “We've got everything then, now don't we?”
 
“Yup. With a few years to spare.”
 
TBC
 
Author's Notes: It always comes back to their promise doesn't it? Sorry for the long chapter wait. I have no good reason for delay-I've just been putting it off. Hope you've enjoyed the story so far. We're nearing the end now I think. Chillax and review. Thanks. ^-^