Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Captain of the Guard! ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part Two

Utena ushered her into a small suite, and firmly shut the door behind them. The room was very Spartan, a simple bed, nightstand, a wardrobe, and, surprisingly, a large bookcase. Even in the civilized countries, books were rare, the providence of scholars and mages. They were something that was seen few and far between, but there must have been nearly two dozen of them there.

"My god," Anthy murmured, looking at the bookcase, "whose room is this?"

"Hmm?" Utena said, clearly distracted. "Oh, it's mine, Princess." She jumped up at the sound of a knock and quickly pulled the door open. Juri walked in, looking irritable.

"Utena, we've got the archer," Juri said, "but he had a poison filled tooth. He's dead." Utena growled under her breath. "There's more, I'm certain he had help getting in," Juri added.

Utena just nodded, her expression bleak. "Since an archer tried to kill the King, we've had regular sweeps of the rooftops," Utena said grimly. "He had to have known out patrol times, as well as which window led to the Princess's quarters."

Juri nodded agreement. "I'm going to check if any guards have outstanding debts, or other things that could be used as leverage."

Utena grimaced, "This is going to be messy, Juri." Juri nodded agreement.

As Juri was leaving, she stopped and leaned over to whisper to Utena "You've already gotten her in your room, and only on your first day guarding her! I am impressed," she teased.

Utena blushed and hustled her out of the room. She returned, only to see Anthy muffling a soft giggle. "You heard, I take it?" Utena said smiling.

Anthy managed to get her giggles under control. "I'm sorry, but the look on your face," Anthy said, and gave in to the urge to laugh. Utena sat down and laughed with her, letting it all out.

`A perfectly normal reaction to stress,' Utena though, `I've seen it on the battlefield many times.' She looked at the girl and was distracted a moment by her beauty. Shaking herself, she smiled and said "I noticed you looking at my books."

"Oh," Anthy said smiling, "it's just that I hadn't seen so many in one place." She looked shyly up at Utena, "Where did you get so many?"

"It's a long story," Utena started, and saw Anthy's disappointed look, so she continued "but I'll make it short. When I was younger, and much more foolish, I joined a mercenary company, the Skybolts."

Anthy looked surprised. "We've used that company as well," she said.

Utena grinned impishly, "I better not tell any tall tales of my great heroism then, princess."

"Would you stop calling me that?" Anthy snapped. Utena looked at her, surprised, and Anthy blushed. "My friends, and personal servants, call me by name. I'd prefer you do so as well," Anthy said, a silent appeal in her eyes.

"Of course, Anthy," Utena said with a hesitant smile. Anthy smiled back at her warmly. "Where was I, oh yes, after I joined the mercenaries, I became friends with one of the mages, Kethry, and her partner Tarma. She taught me to read during some of the winter campaigns," Utena said with a wistful smile.

She shook herself, and laughed softly "As to where I got the books, we would occasionally take a castle or keep, and while my friends were looting, I'd usually hit the libraries. I got some odd looks, but I think I enjoyed what I got more than they did."

Anthy looked at her thoughtfully, wondering a bit about the woman who taught Utena to read. She was about to ask about her, but decided not too. `When I know Utena better,' Anthy thought, `I'll ask,' and wondered at the tiny bit of jealousy in her heart.

They continued to talk, and Utena grew lively as she talked of the misadventures that could happen in a mercenary company. Anthy knew Utena was trying to distract her, and appreciated the effort. As Utena wrapped up another tale, they heard the sound of a door knock. Utena answered it, and Anthy's eyes widened as she took in the young guardsman standing there.

Juri gave him a shove, and sent Touga staggering into the room. "Tell them what you told me, Kiryuu." Juri said grimly.

He dropped to his knees in front of the princess, crying loudly. "They paid off my poker bets," he said, "in exchange for a guard uniform! I just thought it was a joke, I didn't know they were going to.." he broke down, blubbering loudly.

Anthy looked at him with obvious distaste. "Who was it?" Utena asked Touga forcefully.

"I don't know," he said, still crying. "He stood in the shadows, and I only saw bits and pieces. He's tall, dark skinned like a noble, and dressed fine."

"Get him out of here," Utena sighed. "Put him in the cells, for now."

"What will happen to him?" Anthy asked quietly.

Utena sighed. "Even if he is as dumb as he sounds, which I doubt, he still helped in an assassination attempt. He'll be tried for treason, and likely executed," Utena finished.

Anthy sighed sadly. "He was a good officer once, before drink and the gambling," she said.

Utena nodded. "Do you intend to grant him royal mercy?" Utena asked cautiously.

Anthy shrugged. "In truth, I don't know."

"Wait until we can fully investigate," Utena cautioned. "I wonder if there's something more involved."

Anthy looked over at her, smiling. "I'm glad you are so diligent in my protection."

"I take it your previous Captain wasn't?" Utena said sighing. "The more I hear about him, the less I like."

Anthy laughed softly, "Join the club."