Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Captain of the Guard! ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part Three

"All right, what kind of trouble are you in now?" Tarma asked the image of Utena in the crystal ball. Tarma was standing in a room crowded with books, scrolls, and various contraptions, Kethry's workshop.

"What? I'm not in trouble! What ever gave you that idea?" Utena protested to her mentor indignantly, in the castle's small hedge-witch's shop. The morning light gave everything a soft glow, highlighting Utena's hair and eyes.

"This from the woman who set fire to her tent twice," a smiling Kethry said dryly. "Romance, candles and tents don't mix."

Utena blushed a bit, and didn't answer. She looked over her two friends, a bit older than she remembered, but they looked happy and fit. Utena was glad to see their school for mages and fighters was doing so well. "I wish I had time for you to bring up each and every embarassing incident," Utena said with a grin, "but I need to talk to somebody there. Is Shiori around?"

"Sure, I'll summon her," Kethry said. She gestured, and a small, brightly glowing shape zipped off. "Is there trouble in Ohtori, then?" Kethry asked worriedly.

"Nothing I can't handle, at least on the military end," Utena said frankly. "It's the magical end I'm worried about," she admitted. "You taught me a bit about picking up magic, and this place smells if it."

Shiori caught the last bit as she entered. The purple haired mage looked interested, as she said "So you're finally calling in your marker?"

"Yes, can you come to Ohtori?" Utena asked.

Shiori looked over at Kethry, who smiled. "I hate losing a good teacher, but yes, she can go."

Shiori smiled, and said "I'll be there tomorrow," and headed off.

"I can guess how much this is costing you," Kethry said smiling, "So I'll let you go now."

"Don't burn down anymore tents, OK?" Tarma said, as they signed off.

"Thank you, fair well" Utena said, as the image faded to black.



In the castle's jail, in a corner cell with no windows, Touga Kiryuu sat against the wall with a self satisfied smirk on his handsome face. `My preformance was masterful,' he thought to himself smugly, `with the Princess's notoriously soft heart, I should be out of here in a few days.' He frowned suddenly, `Unless the new Captain interferes again!'

Touga frowned in thought as he considered the situation: Things had been going so well, too, before she came along. The old captain was a useless old incompetent, Touga himself owned about half the city guards via bribe or blackmail, and the castle morale was so low it was immeasurable. Now, though, the castle guards were rallying around this Captain Tenjou, and she was taking major steps to protect the Princess' safety.

He was startled, to see a figure walk up to the cell and smile pleasantly at him. "A good attempt, Touga," the dusky skined noble congradulated him.

"Sir, you shouldn't be here!" a surprised Touga said, jumping to his feet. "If you're caught..."

"I appreciate your concern, but I go where I will," he said, with steel in his voice.

Touga wilted, "Of course, m'lord."

The shadowed figure nods, accepting the apology. "This is her warning," he said softly, "and if she does not do the wise thing, the next attempt will be much more serious."

He stepped out into the light, purple hared and dark skinned, and his resemblance to Princess Anthy was uncanny. "I do so look forward to crossing swords with this Tenjou Utena," Akio Ohtori said with a small smile. He turned and walked away, disappearing into the shadows.



"So you've called in a mage?" Juri asked, as she and Utena walked to the Princess' temporary quarters.

Utena nodded, "Yes, an old friend from my mercenary days, Takatsuki Shiori." She smiled a bit, at Juri's skeptical expression, and continued "She feels she owes me a debt, for saving her life. She'll stay as long as she's needed, and more if a pretty boy or girl catches her eye."

Juri was still chuckling when she came to Utena's door. "Tsuwabuki," she said, nodding to the young man, "I relieve you." He saluted and left.

"Isn't he a little small for this?" Utena asked, surprised.

Juri grinned. "He can throw knives so well it's scary. You'd never see it coming," she said calmly. Utena nodded, accepting Juri's judgement. Juri knocked, waited for the Princess' reply, and opened the door for Utena.

Anthy started guiltily, and quickly put the book back into it's place on the bookcase. "It's all right," Utena said smiling, "you can read my books if you like." She walked over and saw the particular book, and fought the urge to smirk. Anthy blushed, and sat down on the bed.

"I didn't realise," she said faintly, looking at the erotic novella and blushing some more. It took Utena some effort not to laugh.

"I guess you haven't seen that sort of thing before?" Utena asked, sitting down on the bed nearby her.

Still blushing fiercely, Anthy shook her head, "Certainly not in quite that much graphic detail, no." She looked over at the smiling Utena, and found herself thinking of the novel, and the scene with the female courtisan and the maiden of a noble house. She blushed, shaking herself.

Utena wondered a bit at the Princess' reaction, but decided not to say anything about it. Trying to change the subject, she said "We should have new quarters ready for you soon. You won't have to put up with my hard bed much longer."

"I'm sure it's far better than the hard floor," Anthy said smiling, pointing out the military bedroll Utena had used last night. "Are you sure we couldn't just bring in another bed for you?" Anthy asked Utena plaintively.

"Sorry, Anthy," Utena said, remembering to use the Princess' name, "but it would draw too much attention."

"You think I'm still in danger, then," Anthy said quietly, making it a statement, not a question.

Utena nodded seriously, "Someone went to a great deal of trouble to try to kill you, then fail." She shook her head, continuing "I cannot believe that will be their only attempt."

"So what do you want to do?" Anthy asked, suddenly looking every inch the princess.

"First, I'm calling in a old friend, a mage. She'll ward the castle, protecting you from hostile magics," Utena said.

Anthy frowned and asked, "Is that really necessary?"

Utena nodded soberly. "No one knows why your father is sick, Anthy" she said gently, "and I have a bad feeling about it."

"And the second thing?" Anthy asked.

"I'd like to assign you a bodyguard, someone who would be with you all the time," Utena said. When Anthy opened her mouth to protest, Utena continued "As a last resort, we need someone with you, in case the other guards fail." Utena looked thoughtful, "I'm not quite sure who, though. Maybe Asugawa Juri..."

"You," Anthy said simply. Utena gaped at her a moment, then tried to speak. Anthy cut her off, "It has to be someone I can trust, and also bear to have with me all the time. I think that's you." Utena tried to say something else, and Anthy added, "You, or I won't go along with it."

Utena sighed in defeat, "All right, all right! I'll do it."