Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Captain of the Guard! ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part Eight

A thoughtful looking Miki left the four of them standing at Anthy's door, excusing himself politely to attend to his other duties. The blue hared young man seemed deeply troubled by what he had seen out in the great hall, and it was obvious that he was going to take some time to try and deal with it, alone.

The three retired to the Princess' parlor, drinking their cups of tea and trying to grasp what had happened out there. Juri seemed to be the most effected, reaching up occasionally to touch, wonderingly, the fully healed wound on her shoulder. Anthy and Shiori were both quiet, each filled with their own troubling thoughts.

In the her own rooms next door, Utena slept soundly on her small bed, occasionally releasing a soft snore. She hadn't stirred at all while they were carrying her inside, only grumbling a little bit when Juri accidentally banged her head on the bedroom doorway. But only a moment later, she was fast asleep once again.

They sat there silently for a few moments before someone finally spoke up to ask the others what was on all of their minds right then. "What happened?' Anthy asked them quietly, looking down into her full cup of tea.

"It was Dios, I think," Shiori answered her simply, putting her own teacup down on the table with a soft clink. She continued on softly, "The Sword of Dios, actually, the weapon that Utena was wearing out there."

"It's enchanted, then?" Juri asked her, a bit of envy evident in her voice. Magical weapons were a rarity in the kingdom, something only spoken of in fairy stories, never seen in real life. She looked up, noticing Shiori looking at her and smiled, thinking to herself, 'Not that our lives haven't been like some adventure tale lately.'

Shiori chuckled at that, "No, more like it's possessed. The blade holds within it the spirit of a noble prince called Dios, who refused to leave this Earthly plane while princesses and fair maidens still needed to be rescued."

"That's who we saw when Utena was healing Juri," Anthy said to herself thoughtfully. To be honest, she was a bit disturbed by the idea, this foreign spirit residing in Utena's body along side her own essence.

"I think you impressed him," Shiori said as an aside to Juri, "the sword normally only heals it's wielder and those he or she protects."

"It's rather remarkable," Juri said softly, remembering the rush of warmth that poured through her body when Utena had healed her. A faint blush appeared on her face, as she thought about how sexual that feeling had been.

They heard a loud snort of amusement come from the nearby doorway. A very pale looking Utena leaned up against it, seeming to be more than a bit unsteadily, as she wryly commented, "It's more of a pain in the ass, actually."

"Utena!" Anthy softly exclaimed, jumping up to ruin to her side. "You shouldn't be up and around yet," she said worriedly. Utena just smiled down at Anthy gently, and the younger woman felt her heart leap in her chest.

"Anthy, I'm all right, really" Utena gently reassured her, "just a little bit tired." Utena took a step towards the chairs, and Anthy slid her body under Utena's arm, to help steady and support her. "Thank you," Utena said to her softly.

Anthy got her settled into the most comfortable chair there before pulling up another to sit down right beside her. Juri had to fight a amused smile as Anthy fretted over Utena like a mother bear with her cub. 'Or more like a woman and her lover,' the thought suddenly came to her, and she had to carefully restrain her soft chuckle.

"What do you mean, pain in the ass?" Juri asked her with a little smile on her face. It was the first time she had heard a magical sword described in such unflattering terms.

Utena smiled back at her ruefully, "Dios is rather..." she searched for the right word, finally settling for "intense about my going to rescue the maidens. If I don't go try to help, he can get rather angry with me. The blade also has quite a long range for sensing girls who are in trouble, so it can get quite inconvenient at times."

A laughing Shiori chimed in, "We once had to detour our unit for two days to rescue a high born lady who was in trouble. We got a reward, thankfully, but we could have been in a lot of trouble because of that sword."

"The sword can compel you to do things?" Anthy said, sounding more than a bit worried for Utena's own sake.

Utena met her gaze with a comforting smile. "It's a fair trade, I think," she said to her softly in reply, "for what the sword gives me and those I protect in return. It makes me immune to any dark magics, it grants me fast healing, and the blade itself is said to be unbreakable." She reached for the teapot, but Anthy sprung to her feet to pour for her.

"You need to rest, Utena," Shiori said firmly. "I've seen how much it costs you when that sword heals someone," she continued, "much of the strength comes from you."

Anthy nodded. "You should return to bed," she urged the pale young woman softly.

Utena shook her head, "Awww, can't I stay up with the big kids?" Juri snorted with laughter, Shiori frowned at her, and Anthy fought the urge to laugh. Utena looked at Juri to ask, "Would Ruka have given that challenge on his own?"

Juri frowned slightly, considering the question before giving her answer "No, he wouldn't. He fights, I mean," she said a bit more softly, "he fought for the money, only." She looked a bit sad at the slip, mourning for a moment the loss of a former friend.

Utena nodded, "Then who put him up to it?" She seemed to sway a bit, "Juri, can you look into it for me? It could be vital to find out." Suddenly, the exhaustion seemed to catch up with Utena, and she slumped forward, nearly falling against the table.

"Utena!" Anthy exclaimed, catching her just in time to prevent her going face first into the table. She bent down close to her and noticed that Utena's eyes were closed. The soft sound of a snore reached them all, and they realized Utena was fast asleep yet again.

"How long is she going to be like this?" Juri asked, giving her fearless leader a rather dubious look. It would be quite entertaining if she did that kind of thing during a regular meeting, but it would be much less amusing if it happened on duty.

"It'll pass in a day or so," Shiori said, resisting the urge to smile. "Let's get her back to bed," she suggested cheerfully. They got her up and over without any further bumps and contusions, and soon Utena was snoring away once again.

"I think I'll stay with her for now," Anthy said softly. Juri and Shiori excused themselves, leaving her sitting by Utena's bedside. Once they left she reached out to gently take Utena's hand, smiling down at her softly.

Utena slept quite soundly, laying there fully clothed on top of the bed covers. Her short pink hair framed her face, the delicate features seemingly peaceful. Her normally alert blue eyes were closed, shuttered against the world. She looked strangely beautiful, but also quite vulnerable as well, laying there in her dark blue uniform.

'I'm so used to her being so very strong,' Anthy mused, 'it's a bit disturbing to see that she's still so human, with such human frailties.' She smiled a little as an odd idea struck her, and then she carefully climbed up onto the bed beside the sleeping young woman.

She lay her head down and looked over at Utena, lost in her thoughts. Suddenly, Utena rolled over, an arm was flung out, and Anthy found herself clasped close to Utena, an arm draped over her. She smiled in her sleep, snuggling close to the surprised Anthy.

Anthy tried to shift the arm, but it wouldn't budge. Trying to wiggle free brought a little frown to the sleeping Utena, who just clasped her to her even harder. 'How do I get myself out of this?' Anthy thought to herself worriedly.



The halls were quiet as they walked from the Princess' quarters. They moved together in companionable silence for a while, until Shiori stopped them by one of the windows outside. The setting Sun shone into the hall, making both of them shine golden.

Shiori smiled up at Juri, stunned for a moment by how fiercely beautiful the noble born guard was at that moment. Quietly, she asked her, "Has anyone saluted you for your great victory?"

Juri shrugged and admitted with a smile, "I kind of got sidetracked by the whole 'magical healing' thing happening."

"Hail the conquering hero," Shiori said with a wide smile, and stood on tiptoe to plant a gentle kiss on the startled Juri's lips. Before she could get away, she felt Juri's arms reflexedly close around her. The shorter girl looked up into Juri's eyes calmly.

"Only one kiss for my reward?' Juri said, her voice husky. Shiori's lips curled up in an invitation, and Juri drew her in for a much more thorough kiss.

Shiori felt flame race up her limbs, as Juri held her close in her strong arms. She luxuriated in the taller woman's strength, relaxing in her grip. The first kiss ended, and Shiori's lips touched Juri's again and again for fleeting, heated kisses.

"Oh!" the serving maid gasped out, coming around the corner to see the moment of heated passion. 'Wait until the others hear about this,' the delighted maid thought, hiding a smile.

Juri and Shiori reluctantly separated, drawing apart a little bit. Juri gaze the maid one of her more fierce looks, and the young lady quickly retreated back the way she came.

Shiori laughed softly, more at herself than anything else, "I guess this isn't the best place to be doing this, milady."

Juri sighed softly, tilting up Shiori's face to smile down at her. "Shall we postpone this for a few moments," Juri said softly, "my quarters are only a little ways away."

Shiori took a shaky breath, managing to get out, "I'd be honored." They walked off together, Juri's hand warm in Shiori's own firm grasp.



The castle dungeons were nearly pitch dark, the wavering torchlight outside his door the only means to see. Touga paced the length of his tiny cell impatiently, angrily wondering when he would finally be released from his imprisonment. 'Damn that new captain,' he cursed her in his mind, 'I'm sure it's because of her that I rot down here!'

He shivered slightly, rubbing at his upper arms in a weak attempt to get just a bit warmer. The ancient catacombs far beneath the palace never really heated up much, holding the cold in each and every stone. His breath showed white in the air, and his eyes widened. He turned, looking out from his cell, and saw the steel door of his cell sheathed in ice of the purest white. He reached out to touch it, and then drew his hand back with a painful hiss.

"It's so cold it burns," Touga said to himself wonderingly.

"Strike it!" a voice suddenly ordered him from outside. A surprised Touga hesitated, and the voice took on a mocking tone as it continued, "Or has your stay in these cells left you too stupid to be able to follow such a simple instruction?"

Touga snarled his reply, kicking out at the door with all his might. A loud crack, and the forged steel split down the center, falling to the ground outside. His eyes widened as he recognized a familiar figure standing in the shadows outside.

Kanae smiled at him, her gaze as cold as the spells she had used to free him. "Lord Akio has need of your services," she said simply.

Touga looked at her, and found himself wondering at how far he had fallen from what he had once been. Or how far down he had yet to go. "Of course," the former guard managed to get out, following the green hared young woman away from his cell. She walked right up to a wall and then directly through it! Touga took a deep breath, closed his eyes, and took the step.

The room he emerged into was completely different than the dungeons. Beautifully decorated, soft furniture, and finery arrayed the chamber, suiting the figures he saw there. Several minor nobles shuffled about nervously, while near the fireplace a old friend waited impatiently.

Saionji nodded to him respectfully as he approached, "Good to see you, Kiryuu."

"Saionji," Touga nodded, smiling slightly. He clasped the noble by the shoulder, and Saionji reached out to do the same. "How goes it?"

"Poorly," he said with a sigh, "the duelist Ruka has failed in trying to eliminate the troublesome new captain, and Akio is quite displeased."

"Indeed," the voice all of them knew said from the shadows. Everyone jerked to attention, listening carefully to that silky voice. They faintly saw Akio standing there, his handsome form mostly hidden from them. "The fool, Ruka, has failed me. Time grows short," his eyes swept the room, "and we must accelerate our plans. Be ready."

And with that, he simply disappeared into the shadows.