Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Captain of the Guard! ❯ Chapter 9

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part Nine

Utena's eyes opened up gradually, as she slowly began to awake from her long night of rest. The morning sunlight touched everything that she saw with a golden glow, making her bedroom look like a magical place. The bed was very comfortable, and she just wanted to stay there and continue sleeping, but something drove her to wakefulness. A soft noise brought her attention to the other side of her bed, and her eyes widened in surprise.

A fully dressed Princess Anthy lay on the bed right beside her, still sleeping soundly. Her long dark hair was fanned all around her, and her face was made even more innocent seeming by the soft touch of sleep. She looked so beautiful, laying there, that all Utena could bring herself to do was simply gaze upon her in awe.

At least, until certain inconvenient questions began to trouble her sleepy mind. 'What in the world happened last night?' Utena wondered, trying to remember. Her thoughts were hazy, still muddled by sleep, but they eventually became more clear.

'Juri was hurt when she dueled Ruka,' she began to remember, 'and then Dios healed her.' She remembered talking to Juri, Anthy and Shiori just afterwards, and then everything just faded out. 'I must have collapsed,' Utena thought, a bit of a blush to her cheeks.

She gently pulled herself from the bed, careful not to disturb the sleeping girl there. Utena was tempted to bend over and place a gentle kiss on those smiling lips, but it wasn't her place. She pulled out a fresh uniform and then quietly padded out of the room.

A young chambermaid was cleaning up the Princess' bedroom, looking around her just a bit worriedly. She saw Utena, "Captain, has the Princess already left?"

"She's still fast asleep," Utena said, nodding back towards her own bedroom. The maid's eyes got round with surprise, and with a frown on her face Utena quickly added "She fell asleep watching over me after I collapsed."

The maid looked rather skeptical at that little explanation, and Utena wondered what sort of rumors would soon be circulating around the castle. Deciding to leave that alone for now, she ordered "Let her sleep a bit longer, please."

The maid curtsied and then left Utena alone to wash up and then change into her uniform. Stepping out into the hallway, she saw Tsuwabuki running towards her. He skidded to a stop, leaning up against the wall to gasp out, "Kiryuu has escaped!"

"What?" Utena barked angrily, and not waiting for an answer went off to see for herself. Down halls, then the stairs, until finally they reached the old dungeons themselves. Utena slowed as they neared the cell, feeling a chill sensation that she recognized from years on the battlefield. "Magic," she muttered to herself softly.

Tsuwabuki looked up at her wide eyed, and with that expression he looked much younger than he actually was. "It happened last night," he said to her softly, "we think when the change of shift was going on."

Utena looked at the shattered door, and from an angle she looked into the cell, careful not to step inside. "Go get me Shiori," she ordered him softly, "I think she might be able to trace the caster of these magics."

A faint blush appeared on Tsuwabuki's cheeks. "Juri specifically ordered that they not be disturbed," he said quietly, looking honestly worried.

Utena smiled at him grimly, "And I'm ordering you to wake her." She took pity on him, "Just tell her that I overruled her, OK?"

Tsuwabuki smiled his relief, "Thanks, Captain." He bolted off to get her like the devils themselves were chasing him.

Not long after Juri and Shiori hastened their way down the hallway together. Utena tried not to smile at the signs of hasty dressing they both showed. "Sorry to disturb you," Utena said quietly, giving them a moment to catch their breaths.

Shiori, as soon as she even got near to the cells, came to a dead stop.

"What?" Juri asked her quietly, putting her hand on Shiori's shoulder.

"You feel it too?" Utena asked Shiori.

Shiori nodded grimly in reply, "Magic." She walked more carefully towards the cell door, her expression deeply troubled as she reported back, "It's similar to the dark magics that were spread all around the castle."

"More proof that Kiryuu was connected to Akio," Juri said grimly.

"Not necessarily," Utena said to herself thoughtfully. She looked over at Shiori, "You said similar, not the same, am I right?"

Shiori nodded, "Very similar. But I'm not certain if it's the same person or not." Her face brightened, "But whoever it was didn't clean up all the evidence." Very smug now, "I'm sure there's enough residual magic to trace back to it's source." She walked into the cell carefully, her hands held out in front of her, enshrouded with a soft glow.

'Yet all the dark magic we have encountered in the castle before was untraceable,' Utena found herself wondering, 'Why is it so different now?' Her eyes widened, and she barked out, "Shiori! Get out of there now!"

When the mage didn't move fast enough, Juri grabbed her by the collar and yanked her backwards, even as the cell itself exploded in a sudden wash of fire and light. It lasted only seconds, confined to the cell, and once it faded they each took a breath before surveying the damage.

"Thank you," Juri murmured to Utena softly, holding the badly shaken up Shiori close to her.

Utena just nodded, looking cautiously into the cell. The heat had been so intense that the walls had melted a bit. The armored window's glass had puddled to the ground, leaving a silvery pool. The room was wiped clean, no trace left of whom had once been there.

"I should have spotted the trap," Shiori said softly, adding, "I'm sorry, Utena." She had started to shake a bit, as how close she had come to death began to really register on her. 'Back in the mercenaries I would have spotted it,' Shiori thought, 'have I gotten too soft?'

"They are going to pay for this," Utena said softly but intensely. "You do not try to kill my people and get away with it," she vowed softly.

Juri, if possible, looked even angrier. "When I get my hands on Kiryuu," she growled, "he'll wish he was the one who tripped that!"

"Ah-HEM!" Shiori cleared her throat loudly. Both women looked startled as she added, "Just don't let your anger cloud your judgment. That was the other purpose of this, and if you both get mad, it'll have succeeded."

Juri looked down at Shiori a moment, then she smiled. "As wise as you are beautiful," she murmured softly, "you're probably right."

Utena nodded, accepting that point. Seriously, "Juri, I want you back investigating Ruka. Find out who hired him, and we may find out who did this."

"Would you mind if Shiori accompanies me?" Juri asked.

A slight smile from Utena, "As long as she doesn't distract you too badly." Shiori pouted at that, but agreed.

"What about you?" Juri asked softly.

Utena smiled grimly. "Up till now, I've been playing the gentleman," she said, making a face. "But I think I'm going to forget my manners and start shaking some people until they tell what I need to know," she said with an evil look.

Juri smiled, "Kanae and Saionji?"

A grim nod, "Kanae and Saionji."



Anthy frowned sleepily, noting that it was cooler, somehow. She opened her eyes, expecting to see Utena, and noticed the other side of the bed was empty. She looked around, noticing that the closet was open and some of Utena's clothes were gone, but other than that it was undisturbed. Easing herself out of the bed, she paused, hearing voices.

"I'm going to wake the Princess," Utena's familiar voice said, "make sure there's some breakfast ready for her."

One of the maids answered, "Yes, ma'am."

Anthy took a step forward, but the door was opening already. Utena walked in, they bumped into each other, and with a soft cry they both fell to the ground in a tangle of limbs. Anthy stared into Utena's eyes, her cheeks flaming as she felt her bosom pressed up against Utena's own, Hands seeking purchase to push them both up accidentally brushing along Anthy's thigh.

"I'm terribly sorry," a flaming Utena stammered once they both got to their feet.

"Not your fault," Anthy answered, her own cheeks burning. "Did I hear you say there's breakfast?" Anthy asked.

Utena smiled back at her, "It should be ready soon. Why not change and freshen up," she suggested, "and we'll go eat together?"

"I'd like that," Anthy smiled. Without really thinking about it, she began to strip off last night's clothes.

"I'll just wait out side," Utena blurted, and then fled into the hallway. She shut the door firmly, leaning on it as she sighed softly.

"What happened to you?" Miki asked curiously, coming up to Anthy's door.

"You don't want to know," Utena sighed. She noticed he wasn't carrying his usual schedule, so she asked, "What's going on?"

"I heard about what happened down in the dungeon," Miki answered, "so I cleared her schedule for today as a precaution."

"You're a good man," Utena smiled, slapping him on the shoulder.

Miki winced a bit, rubbing the spot she hit. "I do try, ma'am. Duty calls," he said, and took his leave of her.

There was a soft tap behind her, and Utena opened the door. Anthy smiled up at her, dressed in a simple but comfortable dress that suited her quite well.

"Shall we go to breakfast?" Utena asked, offering her arm.

Anthy took it, smiling, "I'd love to." Just then her stomach growled softly. Utena's growled in reply, then both women broke out laughing.

"Let's eat before we faint from hunger," Utena laughed. They descended on the breakfast table and both ordered extras, to the surprise of the serving maids.

"Did we eat at all last night?" Anthy asked Utena as she put jam on her toast.

"Not that I remember," Utena answered Anthy between eating spoonfuls of her large bowl of cereal. "You were going to go eat after the petitions were over, then we all got a bit... distracted," she recalled.

"Well, you did fall right over,' Anthy said conversationally, all the while carefully cracking her hard boiled egg.

"It wasn't my fault," Utena protested. "If Juri hadn't let herself be stabbed, I'd have been fine," she grumbled.

The two shared a smile, then went back to eating their breakfasts.