Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Captain of the Guard! ❯ Chapter 10

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part Ten

Shiori rose from the ground, a soft light building up all around her body. Soon, the pure white light swept every corner of the dungeon, searching for any trace of the dark magics that had once been worked there. Even Juri shivered softly as the light washed over her body, feeling almost like the brush of a gentle hand.

Floating up there, Juri thought Shiori looked almost like an angel. She had to laugh at that, thinking about how earthy the young woman had been with her last night. The glow slowly faded, and finally Shiori gently settled to the ground.

"Nothing," Shiori finally sighed softly.

"Thank you for trying again," Juri said to her softly. Quietly, she added, "There aren't any other traps hidden around here?"

"No, just the one in the cell we set off," Shiori growled softly. She glared towards the badly burnt cell, thinking how close of a call it had been for her.

Juri shrugged, and she actually smiled at Shiori as she said, "Then I guess I'll just have to do this the hard way."

"The hard way?" the mage asked Juri softly, wrapping her coat around her.

Noticing the chill Juri put her arm over Shiori's shoulder. "We know someone paid Ruka to go after Utena," Juri said. They began to walk out of the dungeon as Juri continued, "We just have to trace the money, how he got it and where it came from."

"Not easy, but doable," Shiori nodded. With a dark smile she added, "I hope we find out who cast that trap, I'd like to face them myself."



Kanae sneezed suddenly before taking a moment to wipe at her nose. "Excuse me, please," the blushing woman said to Anthy and Utena. The Princess had issued a summons after breakfast, no reasons, just a command that she be here. And that annoying Captain was there, smiling at her like she knew something.

"I never had the chance to offer my condolences after my brothers sudden... departure," Anthy said, taking a careful sip of her tea.

'Departure,' Kanae scowled internally, 'don't you mean his exile?' But she didn't let any of her feelings show as she sweetly answered, "I can certainly understand that, and I thank you for your kind wishes."

Speaking very casually, Utena asked her, "Have you seen Akio since his exile?"

Kanae hesitated a fraction bringing her cup to her lips. "No, I haven't," she said sorrowfully, "our separation has been terribly difficult on us both."

"If you wish," Anthy offered pleasantly, "I could break your engagement to him. It would free you from being bound to an exile like himself."

Kanae went visibly white at that. "NO! No, thank you," she moderated her tone. "Could I be excused, please?" Kanae asked even as she got up out of her seat.

Anthy looked up at Utena carefully, who nodded slightly. "Of course," Anthy said gently.

Kanae all but ran out of the room.

Almost as soon as the doors closed, Anthy doubled over in laughter. Utena chuckled as well, even though her expression was far more serious.

"I'm glad you wrote my words for me," Anthy chuckled, "I doubt I could have managed that otherwise. You can be quite wicked when you want to be, my dear Utena."

"Thank you," Utena smiled down at her. "I feel quite certain now that she remains in contact with your brother," she said with a nod.

"Did we have to insult her as much as we did?" Anthy asked Utena hesitantly. "The long wait in the hall, all the leading comments," she shook her head, suddenly the noble lady troubled by matters of decorum.

"I think so," Utena said gently. "If she wasn't angry already, I doubt that she would have slipped up at all," she shrugged.

"All's fair in love and war," Anthy quoted softly. She looked up at Utena, her expression much more firm, "So what shall we do next?"

"Lunch," Utena answered with a smile, lightening the mood.

Anthy rolled her eyes. "I mean about our afternoon guest, Saionji," she said, her hands on her hips as she started at Utena. She almost looked like the comic image of a housewife, and Utena had to fight back a smile.

"I'll think of something," Utena finally gave up and grinned.

"Lady preserve us," Anthy said as she dramatically threw her hand up to her brow. She pretended to be just about to faint, when her foot caught in the hem of her skirt and she found herself falling for real. But before she could hit the ground, strong arms caught her around the waist, holding her firmly.

"Are you all right?" Utena asked Anthy breathlessly, cradling her gently in her arms.

Anthy looked up at Utena's face, and felt like she was drowning in her blue eyes. "I'm fine," Anthy said, even as she became fascinated by Utena's lips. She reached up, gently grasping her, and then Anthy gently drew Utena down into a kiss.

Utena drew back, and Anthy felt her heart seize with fear. Then Utena bent close to kiss her back, gently but lingeringly. They drew apart, both of them slightly breathless.

"Anthy, I never thought," Utena started, when Anthy reached up to gently place her finger over Utena's lips.

'I'm so glad that she didn't call me princess again,' was the odd thought that bounced around Anthy's skull. "Don't talk, please," Anthy said to her softly. She rose to her feet, then helped Utena stand up again. She looked searchingly into her eyes a moment, and then Anthy gently drew Utena towards the bedroom.



Juri unlocked Ruka's quarters with obvious reluctance. First, she had hesitated in front of the door for a few moments, and then she finally took several minutes looking through her ring of keys until she found the right one.

"What's wrong?" Shiori asked her softly.

Juri remained silent, before finally opening up the door. The spelled torches lit, lighting up the small set of rooms in a comforting glow. The front room had a couch, chair and a desk covered by piles of papers.

A picture caught Shiori's eye, and she walked over to pick it up. Juri and Ruka both stood smiling in their guard's uniforms, obviously friends and comrades. "You knew him," Shiori said softly, looking up at Juri.

The duel between Juri and Ruka ran through Shiori's mind, and she shuddered at the idea of killing a close friend like that. 'Incredible,' she thought, looking at Juri in a bit of awe. 'I could never do that,' she admitted to herself.

Juri walked over to her side, looking down at the image sadly. "We joined the guards together," she said softly, "and became friends right away. All through our training we fought to be the best, and we graduated to the ranks of the royal guards together."

"What happened?" Shiori asked gently.

A slightly twisted smile appeared on Juri's face as she said "I fell in love with my first lady. And Ruka had the great misfortune to fall for me."

"Oh, dear," Shiori whispered, easily imagining how badly that sort of situation could turn out for either of them.

Juri nodded. "He walked in on us together," she sighed, "and took it very badly." She set the image down gently, "He blamed me, said I'd deceived him. He dropped out of sight, and the next time I met him was as the professional duelist."

"Do you think he understood about you?" Shiori asked softly.

"I'm sorry," Juri spoke softly, "that's all that he said to me, after I struck the killing blow." She visibly shook herself, trying to drive away the troubling thoughts as she said, "Let's take a look around, shall we?"

Shiori accepted the change of subject. "Shall I look over the desk?" she asked, and received a nod from Juri. The papers were a mess, piled about randomly, but all were neatly written and quite legible. Shiori settled down and began to read even as Juri stalked the rooms like a cat.

Juri paused in the doorway if the bedroom, looking inside cautiously. The room was immaculate, everything neatly in it's place. A littler smile teased at Juri's lips as she saw that the bed sheets were folded just like a guard's quarters.

'Wait a moment,' Juri thought as a memory struck her. 'He wouldn't still?' she wondered as she carefully made her way to the bed. She cautiously lifted up the mattress and saw the small wooden box hidden there, as she had expected, as well as something that she didn't: a neatly folded letter, addressed to her.

Juri carried the box in and set it by Shiori carefully. "Could you exasmine this magically?" she asked her, "I think the money inside was handled by whoever hired Ruka."

"How did you find it?" Shiori asked, cupping her glowing hands around the little box.

"A trick that Ruka and I came up with as guards," Juri said softly, "we built a hidden compartment in our bed frames to hide things."

Shiori suddenly jerked her hands awayu from the box, her eyes wide. "The energies around the box are necromantic!" she exclaimed softly.

"Necromantic?" Juri demanded an explaination.

"Dead," Shiori whispered softly. She looked up to meet Juri's eyes noting that they were probably about as wide as her own.



Saionji knocked again, a frown on his face. He swept his long green hair back, carefully checking if he was on time. 'What in the world's going on?' he wondered.

Growing impatient, he banged on the door harder, and this time Saionji was rewarded with a response. Tenjou Utena pulled the door oipen a bit, but it was a Utena he had never seen before. Gone was the neat, controlled officer, this young woman was badly rumpled. Her shirt was part unbuttoned, and her hair was a mess.

"I'm sorry, Saionji," Utena said with a winning smile, "it seems the princess is indisposed. I'm sure she'll be able to see you tomorrow, though." And with that she simply slammed the door right in his face.

Saionji looked at the door a moment, then with a scowl started down the hall. A few steps away he stopped as an odd sound reached his ears: the princess' giggle, followed by a soft moan. He stood there a moment, then with a shake of his head he walked away.