Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Captain of the Guard! ❯ Chapter 14

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part Fourteen

The sun's light slowly grew in the small room as it came through the little window, gradually lighting the two figures laying there on the bed. The taller, pink hared woman gently cradles her dusky companion, stroking her hair gently.

Utena reluctantly slid free, letting Anthy rest for a little while longer. It had been a rough night on them all, but none had been effected more than her. She collected her guard uniform and ventured out into the parlor to dress. She closed the door behind her silently, then pulled her uniform on quickly and efficiently.

She looked around her with a frown sensing that something was different, and Utena noticed there was a black cloth wrapped bundle laying on a nearby table. A note was attached, and Utena smiled as she recognized Shiori's crisp writing. "Juri collected these last night," it read, "I don't know if it can be saved, but I hope so."

"What in the world?" Utena murmured, unwrapping the bundle. She gasped softly, reaching out to touch the shards of metal. 'The Sword of Dios,' she thought, carefully handling the pieces, 'I completely forgot about it.' She closed her eyes, remembering some of the adventuires the blade had pulled her into, fondly remembering the noble spirit that had once dwelt within.

"Farewell, old friend," Utena said aloud.

A serving maid came in, carrying an armful of linens for the bed. Quietly Utena said, "The princess is still sleeping. Don't disturb her, please."

The maid surprised her with a curtsey, "Yes, m'lady."

Utena walked out, a slight frown on her face. 'What was that all about?' she wondered. Almost as soon as she stepped out into the hallway, she saw Miki running up the hallway to her and Anthy's room. He nearly fell over as he came to a stop, only Utena's quick reflexes keeping him from falling flat on his face.

"What's wrong?" Utena asked him quietly.

Miki fought to get his breath back, "I've got to see the princess." A ragged breath and , "It's about her father, the King."

Utena felt her blood run cold. "You'd better come in," she sighed, "I'll go wake her."



Shiori cuddled close to Juri, both of them sweaty and clearly sated from their night of passion. Juri smiled at her, reaching out to gently brush at Shiori's curls, pushing them back from her face so she could gaze into those expressive eyes.

"I though," Juri smiled, "that you were supposed to rest?"

Shiori kissed her gently on the lips, "The celebration always comes first." Then she laughed quietly, "I can always collapse later." She snuggled close to Juri, clearly enjoying the comfort of being with the other woman.

Juri took the hint, vigerously kissing Shiori back. "Would you like to celebrate some more?" Juri asked her archly.

"I thought you'd never ask," Shiori gently nibbled on Juri's neck.

Juri drew her close, her hands moving possesively over Shiori's body. The smaller woman moaned quite deliciously, when...

There was a loud hammering on the locked door.

Juri cursed softly, and Shiori flopped back with a loud sigh of disapointment. "The gods must hate us," Shiori sighed. The hammering continued on.

Juri got out of bed, wrapping a sheet around her and still cursing under her breath. "When I get my hands on..." she muttered angrily, yanking the door open to reveal a worried looking young guard standing there. "What do you want?" Juri growled dangerously, fixing the poor boy with one of her best glares.

The young man got even paler, if that was possible. "I'm sorry to disturb you, but the Captaion and the Princess have summoned you," he said apologetically. He paused, took a deep breath, "It's about the King..."



Anthy sat in one of the big stuffed chairs, drinking her coffee quickly as she tried to wake up and get her thoughts in order. "My father is dead?" she echoed Miki's words softly.

"I'm truly sorry," Miki said softly. He knelt, "My Queen."

All those in the room fell down to their knees, echoing, "Oueen Anthy!"

Utena looked into Anthy's eyes as she said, "Hail Queen Anthy." She smiled at her gently, and suddenly Anthy felt just a bit better as Utena asked her, "What do you want to do now?"

"We'll need to go to the capital," Anthy though to herself aloud, then she looked around at the assembled group with a gentle smile of her own, "of course, only if you're willing."

"Where you go, I go," Utena said firmly.

"Your faithful servant," Miki bowed.

Juri looked a bit nervously at Shiori, but spoke up, "I'm in."

"Does the royal court have a royal magician?" Shiori asked. Anthy shook her head no, and Shiori smiled, "I'd like to apply, then."

Juri breathed a sigh of relief, reaching out to take Shiori's hand.

The meeting broke up, and Anthy's small court began to prepare to leave the castle. Utena knocked gently on Anthy's door, and heard a cry, "Come in."

Anthy and Wakaba were packing clothes into trunks, the maid being remarkably efficient in doing so. Wakaba smiled cheerfully at Utena, "I think I can handle things here. Would you like to take Anthy for a walk?"

Utena shot Wakaba a greatful glance, then she turned to offer Anthy her arm in a gentlemanly fashion. "Shall we?" she asked.

Anthy slipped her arm into Utena's, "I'd be glad to." They walked together outside, into the rose gardens that were barely beginning to bud. "The gardens in the capital are in full bloom by now," Anthy said quietly.

Utena stopped them, smiling down at Anthy. "Before the battle, I said that we shouldn't promise anything," she said quietly, "but I wanted you to know that my heart belongs to you."

"And mine to you," Anthy smiled up at her.

Utena took a breath, "I know that you may have to marry for politics, for the sake of the kingdom. But I will always be by your side."

"No, Utena, "Anthy surprised her by saying firmly, "I would marry you." She paused, then more tentatively, "If you would have me."

"But, what about children?" Utena stuttered.

"There are magics that can do that," Anthy smiled. She looked into Utena's eyes worriedly, "You haven't said yes or no."

"If you're sure," Utena smiled down at her, "Then yes!"

Anthy threw her arms around her, drawing her down into a vigerous kiss.

A cheer rang out, and both jerked back in surprise. They both looked up to see a small army of people leaning out thew windows, watching them. A grinning Juri and Shiori were at one, Miki at another, a waving Wakaba, and much of the castle's staff and guard contingents were all watching what was happening eagerly.

Utena blushed, but she put her arm across Anthy's shoulder. Anthy snuggled in close, and both of them waved to the watchers.

"Don't you all have something better to do?" Utena finally yelled at them, recieving much laughter in response.

The End... for the Akio Saga.



Akio Saga Author's Notes:

First of all, I had intended Akio to be a ghost from the start. That's how he got around so easily, and was able to contact anyone he wanted. Kanae as a dark sorceress, however, was a last minute improvisation that worked pretty good.

I had considered giving Touga a redemptive moment in the end, but I ultimately decided against it. He fell from grace because of his greed and baser instincts, and his good qualities were just not enough to balance those out. His connection to Saionji, and why Saionji was so broken up by his death, I choose leave to the reader's imagination.

I'll be taking a short break from this series, but I do intend to do a second storyline. Utena, Anthy and friends mixed up in the politics of the capital, and two mysterious figures named Mikage and Mamiya waiting in the background. Loosely using the Black Rose saga, but only a little.