Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Captain of the Guard! ❯ Road to the Capital ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Road to the Capital: Part One

It only took two days for them to get ready to go, a remarkable achievement to be honest. Two lady's carriages, wagons of belongings, outriders, soldiers and Anthy's loyal companions, all sorted out and organized by poor Miki. But now they were gathered in the courtyard of the western palace, ready to move out.

Anthy paused, looking around at her favorite home, before Utena helped her into her carriage. Anthy smiled at her gently, "Thank you."

"My pleasure," Utena smiled.

Wakaba fought back a smirk, sitting down opposite her lady. She had been chosen to be Anthy's personal maid, and she would be accompanying them to the capital. The brown haired girl fought down a shiver of excitement and a little fear as they began to move, passing beneath the walls and out into the city itself.

Utena rode her horse on Anthy's side of the carriage, while Juri and Shiori rode on the other side. All the other guards were under orders from Utena to keep an wary eye out as they moved through the cheering crowds. Anthy was much loved by the people, but you could never be sure.

They rumbled down the cobblestones through broad streets, the windows of the buildings lined with people wishing to see their Princess, soon to be crowned Queen. They also wanted to see the heroic captain, the one who had expelled the dark spirit haunting the castle, and won the hand of their beloved Anthy.

Juri kept a pleasant smile on her face even as she murmured softly under her breath, "I hate crowds."

"We'll be out of the city soon enough," Shiori smiled, "and then you get to worry about bandits, both true and not."

Tsuwabuki looked over at her in surprise, "Not true bandits? What do you mean?" The brown haired young man was a capable guard, hand picked by Juri to accompany them. He could be a bit innocent at times, though.

Juri smiled grimly, "There are certain nobles whom would benefit it Anthy didn't make it to the capital. So hiring bandits wouldn't be beyond them."

Tsuwabuki sighed, "I thought we had nipped that in the bud when we defeated Akio."

Anthy said gently, "It may be that we will have a quiet trip to the capital. Both Juri and Utena tend to assume the worse."

Utena laughed softly as she admitted, "It's a trait most good guards have."

They reached the town's outer walls, moving out into the royal highways that linked all of the great cities of the kingdom of Ohtori. The broad roads maintained commerce as well as serving to keep communication open between the great families that ruled over the land under the King. Around each road was a border, a clear space of several hundred paces intended for travelers to camp on as well as to deprive bandits of cover.

They rode on silently, enjoying the sun that shone down on them, now that they were out of the shade of the tightly packed buildings of the city. A gentle breeze blew through fields of green, and trees rose on either side of the road's boundary.

Juri looked over at Utena as she asked her, "We'll be leaving the highway soon?"

"That's the plan," Utena agreed.

"But why?" Miki said, surprised. Leaving the highways would stretch the trip out, and the smaller roads were much rougher and less comfortable to travel on.

"Traveling the highways would be easier," Utena patiently explained, "but it would also make us very easy to find. The highway is a straight line to the capital, leaving us open to attack anywhere along its route."

"While if we take the side roads," Anthy said thoughtfully, "we can't be tracked so easily."

Shiori nodded, "Exactly."

Miki sighed softly, "You've got a point."

"Then let's do it," Anthy nodded. She looked over at Utena thoughtfully, "I was wondering, why are you only wearing leather armor? I would have thought that chain would be better."

Utena adjusted the leather vest she wore, "Because I don't know what we'll be running into. Chainmail is very good, but it also hampers one's movement. The leather will slow blows and arrows as well as letting me move quickly."

"But if we were in a stand-up fight against infantry, we'd be wearing chain," Juri shrugged. "It all depends on the circumstances," she smiled. They left the highway soon afterward, and Utena sent two outriders ahead to insure the road's safety.

Keiko smiled cheerfully, "We'll stay a mile ahead of the group." A hawk perched on the brown haired woman's shoulder, trained to return with a message if necessary.

Utena looked at her and Tsuwabuki, "Don't take any foolish risks. If you run into trouble, send the hawk back and then bolt."

"Yes, mother," Tsuwabuki smiled impishly. Utena rolled her eyes and sent them off.

Perhaps due to Utena's safety precautions, or simply due to good luck, the day's trip was peace and quiet. As the sun began to set they made camp on top of a small hill, a few trees helping with the pitching of tends. Guards were stationed, fires started and food was soon prepared.

"What's this I hear about you setting a tent afire?" Anthy asked innocently.

"Shiori!" Utena shot a glare at her, but the purple haired mage just looked away and whistled innocently.

Miki chuckled softly, "Sounds interesting."

"How did you manage that?" Juri asked, Shiori cuddling to her side.

Utena sighed softly, knowing that she'd be badgered until she finally told. "It was back when Shiori and I were with the Skybolts Mercenaries...

There was a healer there named Hitomi that I wanted to get to know. She was shy, but she was beautiful, her short brown hair barely reaching her shoulders. Her brown eyes were innocent, but somehow knowing, too.

Hitomi had many suitors chasing after her, but none of them seemed to be able to win her. But I had struck upon a plan.

I went to the cook, and had a special meal prepared. All of Hitomi's favorites, all carefully seasoned and ready to eat. The weather was supposed to be bad, so I invited Hitomi into my tent, supposedly to simply share a meal and some warmth.

Soft candles light the tent as we ate and talked, and I gently worked my charm on her. Feeding morsels of food with my fingers led to other things, and soon I had her disrobed. And then..." Utena paused dramatically.

"And then?" Anthy asked, her cheeks flaming.

"The tent caught fire," Utena sighed.

A moment of silence, then soft laughter around the circle.

Shiori grinned, "You should have seen it! Poor Utena and Hitomi bolted out of the flaming tent, both stark naked, and it was quite obvious what they were doing!"

Utena blushed, "I'm just glad that a mage doused the tent before all my stuff burned. As it was, my clothes squelched for days afterward."

"And Hitomi?" Juri asked.

"She settled down with another healer," Utena admitted.

Talk moved on to other things, and not long after they began to retire to bed. Utena smiled at Anthy as they walked to the princess' tent. "So am I as pretty as Hitomi?" Anthy asked her.

"Hitomi could not hold a candle to you," Utena chuckled.

"No talk of candles, please," Anthy laughed, gently leading Utena into the tent they shared.