Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Captain of the Guard! ❯ The Capital Saga! One ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Capital Saga: Part One

Commander Kiryuu Nanami gazed at the knights she had gathered in the main hall of the guard's quarters, her expression grave. "Couriers have reported that the princess left the castle in the west days ago, but our scouts have seen no sign of her," she explained.

"Then we must find her!" Vaun spoke up.

Nanami gave the dark haired young man a nod, "Exactly my intention. I will be leaving my second in charge here and taking a small number of knights with me."

"Won't that be dangerous?" Eiko asked, pushing her red hair back casually.

"I hope we'll make up in speed what we will lack in power," she explained. Before Nanami could continue on a page rushed inside carrying a sheet of paper.

"M'lady!" he thrust the note at her.

Nanami read it, puffing her breath out in relief. Relief, and just a bit of disappointment at not being able to act. "The princess has been sighted at last," she smiled, then commanded, "Form up an honor guard, we must go out to meet her!"

They quickly mounted up, leaving the outer gates in moments to wait outside for any sign of the princess' arrival. "I've never met her before," Vaun asked Nanami softly, "what is she like?"

"When I met her the princess was mourning her brother's exile," Nanami said to him softly, "but even then she carried herself with grace and dignity. If my obligation to the King would have allowed it, I think I would have gladly followed her to the western palace."

"We would have missed you," Kencyr said softly. The grizzled old trooper blushed under her gentle smile.

"There they are," Eiko murmured as the group crested the hill.

"Forward," Nanami ordered crisply. The band reached the travelers; position in only a few moments, gleaming in their silvery, well cleaned armor. Nanami blinked in surprise at the ragged band that followed the Princess Anthy, in their scarred leather armor and dirty steeds. 'Did she have to hire mercenaries?' she wondered.

"Be on your guard," Vaun said to the others softly, "I really don't like the looks of the pink haired one standing by the princess' carriage."

Nanami dismounted from her horse carefully, so as not to embarrass herself, then she reached up to remove her helm and release her long, golden hair. She knelt down there, murmuring, "Princess, we have long awaited your return."

Anthy nodded to her regally, stepping out of the carriage to stand before her. "Commander Nanami, it's good to see you," she said with real warmth in her voice.

Nanami rose, tucking her helm under her arm. The blonde looked over at Juri and Utena in disdain. "And who are these?" Nanami asked the Princess softly.

Anthy frowned, "Tenjou Utena, the captain of my personal guard," and she smiled slightly, "as well as your new superior officer."

Nanami gaped in surprise, "What?!"

There was a long moment of silence as both groups digested that little bombshell. Utena seemed to recover first, stepping forward to say, "It's an honor to meet you, Commander."

Nanami shook herself, "And I, to meet you." She looked over her knights, "We will escort the Princess and her guard into the city."

Anthy sighed softly, returning to the inside of her carriage. They moved off smoothly, and she thought of how different her arrival here was to her coming to the western palace. Sun instead of rain, a trusted honor guard, and her love riding beside her door.

Anthy gestured Utena to ride closer, "You might want to go speak with Nanami."

Utena smiled and chuckled softly, "I was just about to ask if you'd mind if I did so after we reached the palace."

They passed through the gates to the outer city, and the streets were soon lined with cheering people welcoming their princess and next queen home at last. Flags bearing the red rose of Ohtori were waved, streamers blew, and the occasional fireworks was set off.

Anthy knew that Utena would not leave her side here, but she was surprised to see similar intent expressions on her and Nanami's faces. They both scanned the crowds, ready for anyone that might mean to cause any trouble. 'They're alike in many ways,' Anthy thought, 'I just hope that means they'll get along, rather than kill each other.'

"Incredible," Juri murmured as they approached the great castle of Shi'Ohtori itself. Massive towers reached to the sky, and it's walls almost seemed to glow slightly in the light of the setting sun.

"There's an strong aura of magic about this place," Shiori said to them softly, "but I'm not entirely certain of what type."

"Lovely," Utena smiled wryly.

"Isn't it," Anthy agreed. "Well, we managed to deal with magics of a darker variety once, we'll just have to be prepared to do it again here."

They reached the Palace itself soon enough, and Miki quickly took charge. He sent Wakaba off with the palace staff to make sure the Princess' rooms were ready, and along with Juri began to get the members of Anthy's guards housed and fed.

Keiko tried to hang back, avoiding the Palace guards, but she just wasn't that lucky. The crowd parted, Nanami looked up, and her face went pale. "Keiko?" Nanami barely whispered.

"Nanami," Keiko nodded uncomfortably. They gazed at each other a moment, then Keiko broke away with a soft, "I have to go."

Nanami moved to follow her but stopped herself, she still had to speak to the Princess. She turned to meet Utena's gaze, looking at her curiously. "How can I be of service?" she asked.

"I wanted to talk to you, along with the Princess," Utena said softly.

Nanami nodded, "I'd like to bring my second along as well." She hesitated, "I wanted to apologize, for how I acted outside. I jumped to conclusions about you without waiting to see whom you might actually be."

Utena actually smiled back, "I'm well aware how we look, Commander, though I'm hoping a few days rest and some clean clothes will help make up for it."

'She accepted my apology most gracefully,' Nanami noted with some relief. She smiled at her, "Call me Nanami."

"And you can call me Utena," she offered her hand. At Nanami's mildly surprised look she added, "It seems we'll be working closely."

"Indeed, Utena," Nanami shook it firmly.

"I'm always amazed at how easily she does that," Shiori noted.

"Does what?" Juri asked her quietly.

"Turns a potential enemy into a possible friend," Shiori smiled. "She did that back in the mercenaries, too, soothing fights and making peace."

"Let's hope all our problems are solved so easily," Juri smiled.

The room was dark, and the figure there sat in shadows. "It seems I could not bar their way here," he murmured, "but that will simply make things all the sweeter."

He got up, his old fashioned military uniform hugging his slim form. "I cannot reach the brother, to make him pay for what he has done," he sighed. A smile, dangerous and just a bit mad glints in the darkness, "But his sister will serve in his place."

A pale hand touches the sleeping face of a dusky skinned figure, and his expression is sorrowful, "She will pay most dearly for his treachery."