Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Captain of the Guard! ❯ The Capital Saga! Two ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Capital Saga: Part Two

Nanami lead Utena, Anthy, Shiori and Juri from the main courtyard towards the guard's wing, swiftly bringing them to a small meeting hall there. Utena held out the seat at the head of the table for Anthy, then the others took up places all around it, even as a dark haired young man ran inside a few moments later.

"This is Vaun, my second in command," Nanami introduced him formally. "We will be able to meet privately in here," Nanami said to them gravely before adding "so may I ask what the present situation is?"

"How did you know something was wrong?" Juri asked in surprise.

Nanami smiled slightly, "You, Utena and Princess Anthy were quite wary, even entering into the city itself. Something must have happened, either on your trip or before." Wryly she added, "And I did notice that you had seen battle, from the state of your garb."

"Something happened, yes," Anthy agreed, "Utena?"

Utena nodded gravely, "Shortly after we left the western castle we began to run into what appeared at first to be bandits."

"By appeared, I take it they were not," Vaun frowned, leaning forward in his chair. There was an intensity about the man, like a hawk chasing it's prey.

"Yes," Juri spoke up, "despite our leaving the main roads and taking reasonable steps to conceal our movements the enemy was able to track us down. They attacked shortly before we reached the city, nearly overwhelming us."

"And they used magic," Shiori said softly, "to control at least some of their troops."

Nanami looked over at Shiori curiously, "You are a mage?"

Shiori nodded, "Yes, I am."

"I'm glad," Nanami surprised her with a smile, "the previous court mage died under mysterious circumstances, shortly after the king."

Juri scowled, "Yet another sign there's something going on."

Shiori reached over to put her hand over Juri's comfortingly, then turned back to Nanami. "I managed to free the controlled warriors," she said, "but it wasn't easy. Also, I saw a... manifestation, I believe of the man who cast the spell I broke."

Vaun eagerly asked, "Can you describe him?"

Shiori smiled at him, "I'll try." She looked thoughtful. "He had short, pink hair, and was quite handsome in a pretty sort of way. His gaze was cool, almost chilling, and he wore an archaic style of military uniform."

"Interesting," Nanami murmured, "it almost sounds like Mikage..."

"Mikage?" Utena looked at her questioningly.

"His portrait is still up in the great hall," Vaun explained, "he was a General in the service of one of the first Kings of Ohtori. He was disgraced when it was revealed he was a sorcerer, and he and his lover were to be slain."

"But...?" Anthy prompted him.

"The stories vary after that," Nanami said quietly, "Some say he was killed, but haunts the castle. Others say that he merely disappeared, and has bided his time before exacting his revenge on the family that turned on him."

Juri threw her hands in the air, "Not another vengeful ghost!"

"Another?" Nanami blinked at her in surprise.

"It's a long story," Anthy smiled, then looked a bit startled at her sudden yawn. "Sorry," she blushed furiously.

"It's all right," Nanami got up, "we can talk more another day."

"Good idea," Utena agreed. She reached over to gently pull Anthy up, then turned to ask Shiori, "Could you put protective wards around our chambers?"

"I was about to suggest it," Shiori agreed.

Nanami escorted them to their chambers, and watched in awe as Shiori cast her wards. The purple haired magician rose off the ground, white light dancing about her, until she struck out in lances of silvery energy, etching a barrier around each of the rooms.

"Incredible," Vaun shook his head admiringly.

Shiori settled down to the ground with a slight smile as she reported, "I didn't sense anything dangerous in the chambers themselves."

Nanami was mildly surprised to see Utena remaining in the bed chamber with Anthy as they walked away. 'That's a bit much, even for a bodyguard,' she thought, until an idea occurred to her. She blushed faintly, realizing how the two of them had been acting.

"If you need anything," Nanami said as she left Juri and Shiori at their chamber door, "just let any of the servants know." She and Vaun left then, returning to the guard's wing.

"What do you think?" Vaun asked her softly.

"Increase the guard patrols," Nanami said seriously, "I don't like what we were hearing from them. Neither Juri nor Utena seems one to overstate something, and they are both worried."

"And what do you think of them?" Vaun asked with a slight smile.

Nanami gave him a scolding look, "It's far too soon to tell." She paused a moment before adding, "But despite the first impression, they do seem quite likable."

"That's what I think, too," Vaun agreed firmly. He gave her a salute, "I'll see you in a few hours or so, ma'am."

"I'll relieve you of command at the appointed hour," Nanami agreed.

The halls of the great castle were dark as Nanami walked to her quarters to catch a few hours of sleep before her shift started. Absentmindedly she noticed the fountain she passed, and remembered a parting there, tearful and painful.

'No,' Nanami told herself firmly, 'I will not resurrect that once again.'

In the darkness of their new quarters Anthy lay in the circle of Utena's arms. "Do you think things are going to be all right here?" she asked softly.

"Yes," Utena answered her softly. She smiled slightly, "If they are not, then I'll make them so, I promise you."

"That's my Utena," Anthy laughed softly, snuggling in close. She kissed her softly, "Would you like to, again?"

"You're insatiable," Utena chuckled softly, but she was grinning.

Far beneath the upper levels of the castle, the pink haired man raised an eyebrow, murmuring, "So, they have warded their chambers. Very well, that simply means I must find another way to strike at them."

The other figure leaned up against the wall, as limp as a rag doll. His chest rose and fell, his eyes were open, but there was nothing in his face, no expression at all. In his lap were black roses, a whole bouquet of them.

The pink haired man reached over, stroking a dark colored cheek, "Mamiya..."

There was no response to that, merely a blank gaze off into the distance. The taller man sighed to himself softly, reaching down to grasp one of the roses, bringing it up to his nose and breathing deep of the scent.

"If I cannot strike at the Princess directly," a cold smile, "I will simply use her friends." The rose seemed to shimmer in his hand, "And this will be my instrument."

To be continued...