Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Captain of the Guard! ❯ The Capital Saga! Three ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Capital Saga: Part Three

Vaun shifted uncomfortably, his rest troubled in the deep shadows before the dawn. The dark haired boy moaned softly, unaware of the man who sat there by the bed, and the black rose that lay beside his face, shimmering oddly in the darkness.

"This Utena should not be here," Mikage murmured to Vaun softly, "she's taken the place that should have been Nanami's, hasn't she?"

Vaun whimpered softly in his sleep, twisting on the rough mattress.

"You must stand up for her," Mikage said to him firmly, "you must undo this great disservice." A cold smile, "You must punish Anthy for allowing it..."

With a soft gasp Vaun came awake, looking all about him in confusion. "What was that all about?" he murmured to himself softly. He dressed quite swiftly, pulling his uniform on quickly and efficiently. Without thinking about it too much he picked up the black rose from off his desk, and then tucked it into his uniform pocket.

The dawn was breaking, and Utena smiled softly, cradling Anthy in her arms. The beautiful woman stirred, and with a gentle smile Utena said, "Good morning."

"Good morning," Anthy smiled happily, kissing her softly.

The two women dressed got dressed swiftly, then headed out to go get some breakfast. As they walled the white stone hallways Utena noticed banners and garlands being raised, and busy preparations going on all around them.

"Is all of this for your coronation as Queen?" Utena asked Anthy softly.

"Hmm," Anthy nodded slightly, "Miki has been busy, I see. The coronation should be in about a week from my arrival here, by ancient custom."

"Anything I can do?" Utena looked at her worriedly.

Anthy put her hand on Utena's arm and smiled wryly, "With all the craziness that will be involved in the next few days, just be ready to catch me if I collapse."

"That bad?" Utena blinked.

Anthy smiled grimly as a small mob of courtiers came up the hallway, waving pieces of parchment and babbling constantly even as Utena tried to shield Anthy. The princess gave Utena a mild shrug before saying, "See what I mean?"

In another part of the great palace Shiori stood atop one of the outer walls, the purple haired girl's eyes closed. A rippling began all around her, her clothes shifting with an unseen breeze and a soft glow shining from deep within her. It grew brighter and brighter, her lips slightly moving, until with a final word the light faded away.

"Incredible," Nanami noted, standing beside Juri not too far away. Dressed in her standard uniform the slightly shorter blonde looked crisply capable, clean and well pressed.

Juri smirked slightly, "You have no idea."

Nanami blinked, then colored slightly as she got what Juri meant. "Trying to live up to your reputation, lady-killer?" she asked.

Juri didn't answer Nanami for a few moments as she looked up at Shiori, love clearly visible in her eyes. "Not any more," she murmured.

Shiori started to climb down, her mage's robes fluttering around her. Juri reached up to brace the smaller woman to guide her down and Shiori smiled, "Thank you."

"Any luck?" Nanami asked politely. She and Juri were both equal in rank, theoretically, so they were being very cautious around each other, avoiding stepping on each other's toes. Considering the bad start they had all gotten off on, it seemed a very good idea.

"Just traces," Shiori answered, "this place is so much larger than the Princess' Castle in the west that it takes much longer to fully search it."

"Don't press yourself too hard," Juri cautioned her softly as the tall, orange haired woman put her arm over the smaller woman's shoulders.

"I'm fine," Shiori smiled up at her gently.

"Just watch your back," Nanami softly cautioned her, "I still have my suspicions about the death of the last Court mage."

Juri gave a cool little smile as she said, "Anything that wishes to harm Shiori will have to come through me first."

Nanami felt a slight pang, remembering someone whom she had felt something similar to that, so long ago...

The young man strode by them, dark hair flowing around his face, his eyes intend. A slight nod to Nanami, "Good morning, commander."

"Vaun," Nanami blinked as he walked on swiftly.

"What on earth?" Shiori murmured, her eyes narrowing.

"What's wrong?" Juri asked.

The purple haired sorceress had an odd look on her face, "There's some kind of enchantment on him. I'm not sure what it does, but I think we should follow him."

Sitting in the Princess' receiving room Utena and Anthy were taking a well deserved break. "Should I send Wakaba to go get some tea?" Utena asked her softly.

"I'd like that," Anthy smiled up at her happily.

There was a loud hammering on the door, and Utena tensed as she looked up worriedly. A kick hammered them open, and Vaun stood there, his dark hair wild around his face. Dressed in his usual uniform his dark eyes were glazed, and a black rose was in the breast pocket.

"What is the meaning of this?" Utena demanded.

"I challenge you, Tenjou Utena," Vaun said grimly. He swiftly drew his short sword, running across the room towards the two of them.

"Get behind me," Utena shoved Anthy backwards onehandedly even as she drew her own sword. 'Wish I had Dios with me right now,' she thought grimly as the swords met with a clang of steel on steel. With a mighty heave of her slim shoulders she forced him back even as she demanded, "Why are you doing this?"

"For honor," Vaun's swing nearly took Utena's head off.

"Utena!" Anthy cried out in alarm.

Utena swiftly kicked chairs and plush couches aside, making some room to move. She watched him cautiously, waiting on the balls of her feet for him to move. 'He looks dazed,' Utena parried smoothly, 'almost confused. More sorcery, maybe?'

"Yield," Utena struck against his guard, knowing that this boy was strong.

"Never," Vaun bit out.

"Vaun!" Nanami cried out in surprise, standing there in the receiving room's doorway, "What are you doing?"

"This usurper will pay for what she's done," Vaun scowled.

"Magic," Shiori scowled. Now she knew where she had felt this before, when they had faced the entranced soldiers out in the field. She narrowed her eyes, and tried to feel the magics swirling around the boy, then her eyes widened in surprise. "Strike for the rose!"

"That's easy for you to say," Utena muttered, hammering at his guard. Using a trick her old swordmistress Tarma had taught her Utena slipped her blade under his, forcing it upwards smoothly. A single swing, and petals of the black rose scattered on the floor.

Vaun stood there frozen for a few moments, his handsome face oddly blank. Then he just limply collapsed, almost like a puppet who's strings had been cut, his sword clattering loudly in the stunned quiet of the room as it fell to the ground..

Nanami gazed down in shock at her trusted second in command, "I don't understand what could have made him attack you, Captain."

"It wasn't his fault," Shiori said firmly, "he was being controlled."

"Looks like our enemy has reared his head once again," Juri frowned.

The room was plunged in shadow, the standing figure raising a black rose to his face. "The first test was successful," Mikage murmured.

There was utter silence in the room, another figure laying there on the bed. His face was expressionless, but strangely beautiful, too. Mikage looked down at him, his eyes dark as he stroked the boy across the cheek.

"Now I just need to find someone... closer, to them," Mikage smiled, a cold, cruel smile.

To be continued...