Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Captain of the Guard! ❯ The Capital Saga! Eleven ( Chapter 33 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Capital Saga: Part Eleven

Shiori lead the way down the hallways, then up flights of stairs. The violet haired sorceress' eyes shone golded, a lance of power shining from her heands, leading them onward. Juri stood by her side, the orange haired swordswoman watching protectively.

Nanami frowned, the golden haired woman holding her sword cautiously as they hurried along. "I wish we knew what's awaiting us," she murmured.

"We'll find out when we get there," Keiko noted, brown hair braided back from her face. She held the throwing knives ready, eyes darting as they moved.

They came around a corner, stopping in surprise as they came to the blockage. "Well, isn't this interesting," Shiori murmured.

"The North tower," Anthy murmured, looking at the bricked up enterance way, "it was abandoned after being struck by lightning."

"Shiori?" Juri looked at her curiously.

"I don't dare switch spells to clear it away," Shiori shook her head, "otherwise I might lose my lock on where he is."

"Then step back," Utena said softly. She stood straight, sword sheld losely as her hair blew around her. She closed her eyes, focusing her will as a soft glow sprung up around her. Her blue eyes sprung open and she moved like the wind!

Sknit!

There was a long moment of silence as Utena slid the Sword of Dios back in it's sheath with a steely hiss. There was a loud grinding of stone on stone, then the bricks simply collapsed to the ground in a cloud of dust.

"I want a sword like that when I grow up," Nanami noted as they moved through the rubble and up the stairs.

"It's pretty much unique," Keiko noted.

"Are you all right," Anthy asked softly, noting how pale Utena was.

"I'll manage," Utena answered her quietly.

Shiori lead them onward, her mage's robes swirling around her as they raced up the stairs. "We're close," she murmured as they reached a opulantly decorated landing, a door not far away.

"It's completely undamaged," Nanami looked around at the draperies, the furnature, the entire place unburned. There was no sign of the lightning strike, no trace of fire or wreckage.

"An illusion." Shiori said softly, "I can sense it. There';s an illusion over this place, from the outside it appears gutted."

The door opened, a bedroom visible beyond. Mikage gazed at them in shock, her glare fixing on Shiori as he murmured, "I never expected you to reach me so quickly."

"Yeild, lord Mikage," Anthy's voice rang out, "I have heard the tales, I know of the ancient wrong you did and the wrong that in turn was done to you. You have taken my father the King's life, be satisfied with that."

"You're here, little princess," Mikage smiled, his pink hair falling into his face, "I can still take my vengeance on you."

"Over my dead body," Utena said firmly, keeping Anthy behind her.

"So be it," he smiled at them coldly. Mikage raised his hand above his head, power surging as he cried out, "Come!"

Shiori cried out in pain, the power rushing by her, curling down into the palace below them. Mystical fire swirled before the bandm, resolving into human forms, Vaun smiled, the spirit raising his blade in mocking salute. Wakaba's translucent form tossed her knves up, eyes spartkling dangerously. Finally Miki looked out at them gravely, the rapier the spirit carried at the ready. Mikage turned to return to the bedroom, the door closing behind him.

"They're shades," Shiori shook her head to clear it from the effects of Mikage's dark magic, "but they retain the skills of those they resemble."

"I'll keep Miki busy," Juri drew her own sword, stepping up to face him.

Nanami nodded to her second in command, "Vaun is mine."

"This should be interesting," Keiko muttered as she moved to face Wakaba.

"While the others keep them busy," Shiori said, "we've got to go after Mikage."

"Let's go," Utena pulled Anthy behind her as they went around the fighters, the three bursting into the bedroom together.

"Gods," Anthy murmured, gazing at the beautiful boy that lay on the bed, Mikage trying to pick him up to flee.

"Damn you," Mikage turned, making a gesture to throw a spell. He looked shocked when nothing happened, then glared at Shiori, "You!"

Shiori glowed brightly, her hands held out in front of her in a blocking motion. Through clenched teeth she managed, "I've blocked his magic, but I can't do this for long..."

Utena drew the Sword of Dios and attacked, Mikage swiftly parrying her attack with his own blade. The swords were rock still as they stood there a moment, the two straining, then oddly Mikage smiled. Utena smiled back just slightly, "Not bad."

"You're good," Mikage admitted.

They slid apart, blades flashing as they fought back and forth in the small chamber, sounds of battle continuing outside. Anthy gazed wide eyed as the two fought swiftly, their blades flickering and flashing with the reflected light. Her eyes settled on the boy laying on the bed, feeling a moment of sorrow as she gazed at the soulless form as a realization stuck her.

"You bargained with my brother and Kanae," Anthy looked up towards the fighters to declare, "for his revival, didn't you?"

"For my love I would do anything," Mikage hissed. "I would be reunited with him," tears glistened in his eyes as he whispered, "at any cost."

"You may not be reunited with him here," Utena held his strength back, the flesh of her hands screaming in pain, "but what of the Heavens beyond?"

Mikage drove her backwards, but he hesitated, "A soul so black as mine could never be reunited with his."

Utena took advantage of his moment of weakness, driving his blade aside as she said, "Only one way to find out." With a single smooth gesture she drove the blade through his chest, piercing the heart and stabbing out the other side.

Mikage stood stock still a moment, then the blade began to glow, blazing white. Fire spread out from the would, rushing over the stiffening body, blazing brighter and brighter. Suddenly, Mamiya's body simply crumbled to dust on the bed as the flames flared up one final time, Mikage and the Sword of Dios disapearing in that flare of power.

"Look!" Anthy cried, pointing upwards.

Mikage rose up, his spirit oddly translucent, met by another figure. They held each other, the two men, then the boy's lips moved soundlessly. Together they both faded away, leaving only a slowely fading glow in their wake.

"I wonder what he said," Utena sighed, swaying tiredly.

"Where you go, I go," Anthy said as she steped up to help support Utena. At her surprised look Anthy cheerfully explained, "I was taught to lip read at an early age, it comes in quite handy at royal banquets."

"You two all right?' Shiori asked tiredly.

"I'm fine," Anthy said, helping hold Utena upright, "but Utena's exhausted."

The door to the chamber burst open, Keiko, Juri and Nanami rushing inside. "The spirits all disapeared," Juri started, "did you..."

"Mikage is gone," Shiori relaxed in her lover's arms, "I think for good."

"The Sword of Dios?" Nanami asked, her and Keiko standing closely together.

"Gone too," Utena sighed softly.

"I'm sorry," Keiko said, "I saw how much it meant to you."

"Let's get out of here," Anthy said, her eyes brightening slightly as she continued, "There's still a coronation to preform."

To be continued...