Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Captain of the Guard! ❯ To Crown the Queen: Conclusion! ( Chapter 34 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Capital Saga: Part Twelve

To Crown The Queen: Conclusion

Hitomi gently helped Miki sit up, the blue haired young man quickly regaining his color. "You should continue to rest, m'lord," the brown haired doctor scolded.

"There's something I have to do," Miki climbed off of the bed, stumbling over to where Wakaba lay nearby. The young lady's maid stirred as he reached her, blinking up at him curiously.

"Miki?" Wakaba murmured, reaching up to place her hand on his cheek before adding, "I had the strangest dream..."

"That doesn't matter now," Miki took her hand, squeezing it lightly. "I feel like I have been blind," he murmured, "until now."

A bit of red colored Wakaba's cheeks, "You mean...."

"I would be most honored," Miki smiled, "if you would allow me to court you, m'lady."

Wakaba sat up, Miki reaching out to help her. "I have been courting you for so long," she smiled at him fondly, "it seems only fair."

Just then the doors to the healer's ward opened, Commander Nanami Kiryuu gazing inside with satisfaction. "They're all recovering, I see," the blonde smiled.

Vaun sat up in his bed, the black haired young man blinking at his leader in surprise. "Ma'am," he finally managed, "what has been going on?"

"Long story, old friend," Nanami smiled, "I'll explain later. The good news is that the foe lies defeated and we have a Queen to crown."

"What?!" Vaun blurted.

Miki's eyes widened. "How long do we have left?" he demanded.

"A day, or a little more," Nanami replied.

Miki gave Wakaba a regretful glance, "It looks like much work lies ahead of us." He paused, "I could use your help."

Wakaba smiled, cheeks reddening as she said, "I'd love to."

"Clothes?" Miki asked, tugging Wakaba up from her bed gently.

"Aye," Vaun agreed, noticing he was only wearing a white linen smock.

"I supose I cannot insist that you all remain abed until we're certain you've recovered?" Hitomi demanded, the young woman glaring about.

"Knowing them I doubt it," Nanami answered calmly.

Hitomi sighed, accepting defeat, "I'll send pages for your clothes."

A few moments later the four rushed out of the healer's ward even as the castle halls were filled with busy courtiers. They reached the Princess' chambers shortly, Anthy looking up from where she sat by the soundly sleeping Utena.

"Is she...?" Miki frowned at where the pink haired captain snored softly.

"Utena's fine," Anthy reassured her friends, the dusky princess rising to meet them, "merely exhausted due to her injury and the battle."

"I'm glad," Wakaba sighed, looking at the pink haired woman fondly.

Keiko and Nanami greeted each other, Nanami folding the brown haired ranger in her arms. Vaun blinked in surprise before murmuring, "How long was I out?"

"Not that long," Miki smiled, "it seems that they were friends from long ago."

"Ah," Vaun nodded.

"Your lieutenant looks like he's been hit in the back of the head," Keiko cooed to Nanami, snuggling close to her.

"He'll be fine," Nanami chuckled, "he already knew about my leanings."

Miki frowned slightly and asked Anthy, "I was told we have less than a day to complete our preperations for the coronation?"

"We delt with things as fast as we could," Utena said, sitting up in bed with a slight smile on her face. She added, "Good to see you all awake at last."

Miki nodded, "Then we will finish the preperations as quickly as possible." He paused before adding, "I swear it!"

Wakaba chuckled, "We'll get it done, Princess." With that they headed out, Miki barking orders to the courtiers lingering in the hall while Wakaba began to organize the ladies.

"Captain," Vaun hesitated, the black haired young man offering a slight bow as he said, "I wanted to apologize for my actions."

"Not your fault," Utena shook her head firmly as she conntinued, "we know you were under an enchantment at the time."

"Thank you," Vaun bowed again, rather nervously leaving the room after that.

"Thanks," Nanami smiled. She took a deep breath, "I'd better get to work, too. We need to make sure that the security is tight, as well."

"I'll help," Keiko added, taking Nanami's hand.

As Nanami was leaving Juri and Shiori entered, giving the Commander and Keiko a respectful nod. The purple haired sorceress looked tired, leaning on Juri for support. "You need to rest," the orange haired swordswoman helped Shiori to a chair.

Shiori sighed softly, smiling up at Juri to say, "I'm all right, m'love." She looked over at Anthy and Utena and reported, "I've used my spells to check the castle and I'm reasonably certain that Mikage and Mamiya are gone."

"I hope they've found their rest," Anthy sighed.

"You're more generous than I'd be," Juri noted, standing protectively beside Shiori, "considering they slew your father and tried to kill you."

"I knew my father was dying months ago," Anthy said softly, "and the healers told me it was a disease of the blood and bone. Maybe Mikage sped things along, maybe not, but my father had accepted that his end was coming."

There was a soft noise and Anthy blinked before muffling a laugh. Despite her protests to the contrary Shiori was fast asleep in the chair, snoring softly. Juri shook her head, nodding to Utena who was also snoring quietly on the bed. Juri gently picked up Shiori, then slipped out of the room even as Anthy curled up beside her sleeping lover.

***************

The great hall was filled to bursting with noble men and women, the arching roof drapped with gaily colored cloths in all the royal colors of the kingdom. Delegations from across the land and neighboring kingdoms stood waiting, the sweet scent of roses filling the air.

"Are you ready?" Utena asked, her black dress uniform edged in rose making her look like some noble prince. The silver and gold decorations gleamed, the long red cape swirling around her legs as she moved.

"I am," Anthy smiled, her rose gown hugging her tightly from the breasts to the waist then swirling out in yards of fabric. Her dark skin set off the color beautifully, combined with her violet hair set up in delicate ringlets.

"Then let's go," Utena offered her arm, Anthy smiling happily as she slipped her own into it. They walked to the great doors, watching them swing open gracefully. "I know about what you're planning, of course," Utena said softly.

"Do you object?" Anthy asked, moving forward at a dignified pace, smiling and nodding to the nobles on eitherr side of the rose colored carpet they walked.

"I was a bit startled," Utena admitted, "but I don't mind." She flashed a smile as she continued, "I was sort of honored, actually."

"Good," Anthy murmured.

Nearby the altar the members of what had quickly become known as the inner circle waited. Court Magician Shiori stood beside Commander Arisugawa Juri while Captain Kiryuu Nanami nearby with the ranger Keiko. Kaoru Miki was dressed in his court finery while Wakaba stood proudly in attendance. Not far ftrom them Hitomi, Vaun and the others stood, all gazing expectantly at them.

The three representatives of the religions of Ohtori stood attendance, each of them speaking a benediction of Anthy. Finally the princess, now truly a Queen, took her crown from the cushion before her and placed the simple circlet upon her brow.

Queen Anthy turned, shining with a soft light, the powers around the castle and the kingdom coming together in that place and time. "People of Ohtori," Anthy smiled, "I hope to serve this kingdom and it's people well."

The crowd cheered, obviously pleased with what their new Queen had just said. It took a few moments before they quieted down, Queen Anthy waiting patiently until they all quieted down, the crowd sensing that she intended to say more.

"Even as I have been crowned Queen today so shall I crown my beloved," Anthy said, "the one whom has served ne so well, whom I have come to love. She will serve you well, champion and warrior, even as I hope to." Anthy turned with a smile, "Tenjou Utena."

Utena knelt before her, head bowed as she said, "My Queen."

Anthy drew her up to a standing position, smiling gently. The priests spoke softly, running through the traditional ceremony for marriage. Together Utena and Anthy repeated their vows, promising to love and honor each other until death do you part.

Finally Anthy picked up a simple gold circlet, one matching hers. "Bend your head," Anthy whispered before setting the gold ring on Utena's head.

"I love you," Utena murmured, kissing Anthy gently, feeling her arms wrapping around.

"Three cheers for Queen Anthy," Vaun cried from where he stood with the other guards, "three cheers for Prince Utena!"

"Hip hip hoorah!" Juri cried, the others chiming in loudly as the two women blushed fiercely, standing there together.

"Huzzah!" trhe crowd roared back.

"How long do you think until they quiet down?" Anthy murmured softly, her lips barely moving as they smiled and waved to the mob.

"It could be awhile," Utena chuckled, "they care for you very much."

Nanami looked over at Juri, speaking softly as the celebration rang out around them. "I hope you don't mind my elevation to captain," she murmured.

"Utena can't do it as Prince Consort," Juri said with a slight smile, "and you know this territory better than I do." She drew Shiori closer before adding, "And to be honest I have other things to concern myself with."

"Do you think a spring wedding would suit?" Shiori smiled impishly.

Nanami chuckled softly as much for the look on Juri's face. Keiko leaned forward to confide, "We have similar plans, in truth."

"We're enjoying courting, thank you very much," Miki said, Wakaba holding on to his hand with no intention of letting go.

"But eventually...," Wakaba added with a grin.

The night ran on, foreign dignitaries and representatives all paying their respects to the Queen. The faces ran together into a blur, though Utena had to admit that one noble stood out oddly. The redheaded young woman wasn't that unusual, but the fox woman that shadowed her clearly was.

"What is that?" Anthy murmured in surprise.

"A kitsune," Utena murmured back, "rare but dangerous magical creatures."

"Congradulations," the little redhead smiled, "I am Lady Rika." She smiled up at the Kitsune, her expression fond as she continued, "And this is Renamon."

"Charmed," Renamon replied, the Kitsune watching the crowd with a wary glance, her whole stance screaming bodyguard.

"It's an honor," Anthy smiled at her while Renamon and Utena exchanged respectful glances, one professional to another.

Eventually things died down, the Queen and her Prince retreating to their chambers for the night. Utena took of the circlet, gazing at it wryly as she said, "Thank the gods that's over."

"I thought that you looked very fine," Anthy gently laid her hand on Utena's shoulder, giving her a sultry little smile.

Utena smiled back, leaning forward to press her lips to Anthy's own. "You're lovely," she murmured to Anthy softly.

Anthy slipped free, sauntering over to the bed before falling backwards. She cooed happily, "I have a task for you, my champion..."

"Oh really?" Utena asked, undoing her collar and pulling her military jacket off, revealling a plain white shirt beneath it.

"Oh yes," Anthy agreed, tugging her down to the bed.

***************

And so the story ends, though in truth the story continues on. Under Anthy and Utena's wise rule the kingdom prospered, the people happy under their kind governance. The royal couple themselves settled down together in the great castle of Shi'Ohtori itself, no longer ghost haunted but instead a place of light and hope. Around them they gathered heroes and noblemen, comrades whom eventually would become the basis of their own legends.

Arisugawa Juri's father eventually came to the capital of Shi'Ohtori and made peace with his willful daughter, in part due to his joy upon meeting his new daughter-in-law, the sorceress Shiori. Sadly Keiko's family never really accepted her choice, but she quite happily lived with her lover, Nanami. Finally Miki and Wakaba were married nearly a year after the coronation, the two settling down in domestic bliss.

With the aid of magic the bloodlines of Utena and Anthy were mixed and nine months later Anthy gave birth to a pink haired, dusky skinned daughter. Raised in love, surrounded by friends, Dios Ohtori would grow up into quite the young woman, but that is a tale for another time....

The End

Authors Notes: I hope everyone has enjoyed reading this series, and are reasonably satisfied with the storyline. It ballooned much larger than I intended but all in all I'm pretty satisfied with it. A further continuation is still possible, but probably on a side character or as a prelude. I wouldn't mind doing a story or two set during Utena's mercenary period, or possibly afterward when she first entered the guard. We'll just have to see.... Rika and Renamon are visiting from 'Dark Guardian: A tale of Rika and Renamon' as I had implied these two series were connected.