Vampire Hunter D Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning ❯ My Life ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A New Beginning

By: Mika Neko

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The shadow is at most points wiser than the light,

For that is where our memories are, in the shadows of our minds.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

-----------------------------------------------

Darkness --- it follows like a stalker and embraces like a lover, both of which I've never had. Many would find it uncomfortable except for weirdos and maybe vampires. Not me however, I enjoy it. Or maybe I think I do because the sun irritates me so, perhaps that's it. Or maybe it isn't.

All I know is I want something new, a new life, away from all these God-fearing people! I was a child born into the light of the sun, and although I was baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, I am not a Catholic. I am a Wiccan, a child of the Goddess and God, blessed with abilities beyond my wildest dreams and fantasies.

But a life in sunlight is not what I want. I want to stay in the shadows; call me crazy but I find it more exciting than everything else that we're all able to see.

And yet, I get the feeling that I belong in the shadows. Either that, or there's something, or somebody, waiting in the shadows for me. One of the dreams I had recently showed the face of a very spooky guy. Deathly pale, white hair, red eyes, and rich, or at least he looked rich. And he was very handsome too. But his age, way too old for me, I'm only fifteen years old and that man looked like he was in his 20's or 30's.

He looked like I once knew him, and it wasn't just him in my dream, there was also a woman. She was a lot shorter than him, more tan as well but still a little pale. She had long dark brown hair, with gold eyes, and her expression showed no fear to this guy --- like she knew what he was and didn't care. It was like…she was in love with him!

I suspected he was a vampire judging by his appearance and that's why I freaked out. I mean there's no way that could be possible! She could have been possessed maybe; that always leads to the explanation. But then again, her eyes never showed that empty void like my brother's…

Ugh! There I go again. Every time I bring up vampires and possessions I end up talking about the disappearance of my twin brother. People would have thought I had gotten over that; it's been almost four years already. But I suppose they never had a brother who understood everything about them, and that without them; they were nothing but an outcast. Because that's now what I am at school; an outcast; even the other outcast groups of freaks and nerds consider me an outcast and their little worlds because I'm different!

I can't really help it. Sure, I changed my religion to Wicca; yes, I hide from the sunlight and I am a little pale now; and yes, I enjoy reading up about vampires. All of those are a part of being my own self, my own being. Somebody asked me one time if I believed in fate. I said to her sometimes yes and sometimes no. Because I do believe certain things are meant to happen for a reason; but I do not like the idea of somebody else having control over my life.

So here I am…a runaway freshman in high school that is living in the shadows and now goes to night school because I am what some people call a `Nocturnal Witch'. And so far I love it. I have full control over my own life, and there's nothing anybody can do to take away my freedom.