Vampire Hunter D Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning ❯ The Death Of One Is A Tragedy ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Your voice is the only sound I hear

Falling over me like waves

My heart beats in time with yours

Shaping every breath I take

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

-----------------------------------------------

I don't which is more confusing. The fact I'm the reincarnation of a vampire's lover and now he wants to be with me, or whole thing altogether about vampires and withes being companions of not lovers. Either way it's got me spooked and I don't know what I'm gonna do anymore. Meier has completely driven me to insanity and I can't handle it. Before I met him the cops are not finding me was all I had to worry about out because I'm a runaway, that and keeping my grades up, and focusing on my magick. Now, I have to worry about the cops, my grades, my Craft, and the safety of a vampire! Because I know that Meier Link can be entirely reckless despite his vampire strength and abilities. I just have to tell him I think this is not right and that he has to find either someone else or…or…I don't know.

But now the thing is how am I going to tell him that?

I'm aware that I won't see him for the next three days, which gives me some time to my studies and myself. I'm just glad I have nothing to do during the day except stay inside with all curtains closed.

During the afternoon today, while I was reading up on ESP, I heard a knock on the door. I froze. Someone knocked again. I put the book down and snaked my way over to one of the curtains, I lightly peeked out the window to see if it was a cop. It wasn't, but it was a creepy looking guy as pale as Meier and myself. I stood up and opened the door. Damn --- this guy was huge! I couldn't really tell his height but he was pretty damn tall. He wore this black armor like outfit and had long dark hair, and I couldn't see his face very well because he wore this hat with a long brim. All I could see was basically his mouth. It didn't really scare me --- it just sent one or two tremors down my spine.

"Can I help you?" I asked in a normal voice.

The man said nothing at first, and I couldn't see if he was staring at me.

"What?"

"Are you Serenity Dominique?" he questioned me in a low tone.

"What would you do if I said yes?"

"All I want to do is talk to you. I won't hurt you and I won't turn you in to the police…"

That scared me. "Hey! How did you know the cops were…"

"That's not important right now," he interrupted. "What's important is that I talk to you."

"About what?"

"If you let me in Miss Dominique, then I'll tell you…"

I didn't trust him but I had no other alternative. I let him in then shut the door. He took a seat on the couch, practically taking up the entire space. I sat in my chair. We sat in silence for about three minutes until I broke the silence. "Well? What did you want to talk to me about? But first, before you begin, who are you?"

"D," was all he said.

"D?" I tried to remember where I had heard that name before. But then I shook my head and looked back at him.

"I'm here about your friend you've been seeing lately."

Vampire hunter! Now I remembered, D was the famous vampire hunter! And now he's after Meier. How am I gonna get out of this now?"

"What friend?" playing stupid was never one of my best options but I had to stall until I made up something about Meier.

"Some of your classmates and teachers at school told me every night after school gets out a man picks you up. I know that this person isn't any of your family members because I've been by your home. Would you mind telling me who it is?"

"Oh! That guy," I said to D. "Oh you have nothing to worry about from him D, he's my old friend from way back. My parents don't remember him but he's an old buddy. He just moved back and he and I have been hanging out after school." I crossed my fingers behind my back hoping he'd fall for it.

"What's his name?"

"His name?" I repeated. I quickly thought one up, "Vincent." One of the few names I liked.

D stared at me for a long while then, to my shock, he lifted his hand and took off his hat. From what I could tell he was a little cute --- but nobody I'd drool over if I had a picture of him. "When will you be seeing him again?"

"Not for about another three weeks or so. He had to go back and pick up a few things. Now D was there anything else?"

"Actually yes," he took a deep breath but I didn't know it. "I'm also here because I have news about your brother."

I froze. "You…you know about Richter? I-I-I-Is he alright?"

D paused. Not a good sign --- I knew something was wrong. I clutched onto the chair I was sitting in, my nails digging into the fabric. "D? What happened to my brother?"

"Four years ago he disappeared right?" I nodded to him. "Well, he didn't just disappear, he was kidnapped. A vampire took him. Richter managed to escape him but a year later he was found and --- I'm sorry Serenity --- your brother was killed…"

My heart, along with everything else, had stopped right then and there. My brother…my twin…my own flesh and blood…the only person besides Meier who ever cared for me! He was gone --- dead --- I felt like my own life was over too.

D grabbed his hat and put it back on his head. My head was lowered. He stood up and I felt his hand on my head. He knelt down in front of me but I didn't look at him. "I do not know who was the vampire who did this, but I will hunt him down and kill him." He stood up and removed his hand and then he left. And all the while I just sat there, breathless, speechless…and now…brotherless.