Vampire Hunter D Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning ❯ Confession ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Walk with me let me dream of one shining moment with you

Falling into your open arms and calling your name...

No regrets, no turning back

Oh throw caution to the wind

My whole life pales beside the look in your eyes tonight

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

-----------------------------------------------

Ever since that night I discovered she was my beloved Charlotte, I began to realize that she doesn't remember anything that has happened to us in the past. Which means either I have to tell her what happened to us and all the things we've shared; or I start a new with her.

Either way --- I have no choice but to tell her.

-----------------------------------------------

Serenity told me when her school lets out so I can see her every night after school. I realized also, like with Charlotte, I have to gorge myself on blood before I can be around her. Sometimes I gorge until I don't have to feed for three weeks. If Serenity knew about this she would be horrified at me, but it's for her own safety and that's something she understands. But everything else she wouldn't.

The next night I went to her house I saw there was a car parked outside. Many of the lights were on which is rare because of Serenity's desire to be in the dark. I approached the house cautiously, hearing two people talking inside. I got to the window and saw Serenity speaking with a boy as young as herself; only he was taller than her, with short brown hair with clothing like what Serenity described to me as a "punk". Serenity did not look like she was enjoying his company.

"For the last time the answer is no!" her voice rose a little but not too much.

"How come Seren? You never want to go with me to the dances, or anybody else for that matter."

"Stop calling me Seren. It's Serenity and nothing more."

"Still, why is it that you never go anywhere but to school? Don't you ever go on dates?"

"Not while I'm this busy with homework and practicing spells and rituals, no." Serenity moved over to the window I was in. I ducked down so she couldn't see me as she opened the panes for some air. "Besides the school dances are stupid. I went to one at the beginning of the year with Vince and we both were bored out of our fucking minds."

For the moment I was stunned but also appalled. Serenity had no reason to use such fowl language. Unless she was angry, in the past I have heard many women, even Charlotte (surprisingly), use such horrible language but they had every reason to shout out at the people they were speaking with. Not like the conversation I was hearing that night.

The boy sighed and ran his hand through his hair. "You're not going to change your answer? Even if I said I wanted to be your boyfriend?"

Serenity and I both stopped. I watched as she turned back to him. "B-Brian…" she made her way into her chair and sat down. She looked back up at him again then shook her head. "I'm really sorry Brian, but no. It's nothing against you personally; it's just I can't get into a relationship at this point in time. That, and you remind me too much of Richter --- you're sweet, kind, you have a big heart even if somebody hates you, but then again so did he. But the differences between you two is that he understood me when you cannot, and he's gone and you're still here. And I've only known you for one year when I knew Richter my whole life. Do you see where I'm getting at?"

Brian nodded but said nothing. He just grabbed his jacket throwing it over his shoulder and leaving the house, getting into his car then driving off. And for all the while Serenity just sat there staring at the door. That was when I climbed in and walked towards her, resting one hand on her shoulder.

"Do you think I did the right thing Meier?" she asked me after two minutes of silently staring.

"In my opinion," I began. "Yes. But then again, no." I sat down on the couch across from her. Her blue eyes managed to stray from the door and to my face, letting me know she was listening. "Yes, because you did not want to be reminded of someone you loved all your life and had lost so suddenly without even knowing it. But no, because you cannot be living in the darkness forever like I have. I cannot and will not see you do that Serenity."

"But there's nothing there for me Meier. I have lived that life for far too long, I like it here in the darkness. During the day I simply hide in here studying and practicing my magick or read. There is nothing to do in the day, but at night is when all the fun happens. So many adventures can occur after sunset; and mine haven't even begun thanks to you."

I stared at her for a moment. "What do you mean Serenity? There is nothing here in the shadows either, nothing except death, sadness, and loneliness! I speak from experience so you should listen when I say there is nothing here for you Serenity. There has not been a moment that passed that I have had not missed going out into the sun, feeling it warm against my skin. Serenity…" I reached out and took her hand into mine. "Serenity please --- do not condemn yourself to the shadows willingly --- do not condemn yourself to this at all! I beg you please don't…"

"Why does it sound like you want to protect me Meier?" her voice sounded like she was going to start crying.

"Because I could not protect Charlotte…I couldn't. And I'm going to make sure that I will protect you and from anything and everything that could threaten you."

"But why me?" she snatched her hand from my grasp and stood up. "Why do you want to protect me Meier? I can take care of myself, I have lived in the dark world for almost a year now --- I know it's not that much compared to you but I have survived with nobody to help me! Not my parents, not my elders, nobody. I got to being where I am today all on my own."

I stood before her at that point. I grew frustrated with her refusal to listen. I continued to listen as she said to me how it was her and her alone that got her to be the strong teenaged witch I see before me. I clenched my fist then with rage I raised my hand to strike at her. Serenity screamed and backed far away from me against the wall. When my hand hit air is when I realized what I had almost done. I saw Serenity backed into the wall, her eyes now glittering with tears. I took one step towards her but she whimpered and pressed her back firmly against the wall. I continued taking small steps towards her and when she tried to run I grabbed her and spun her back towards me, where I then gathered her up into my arms. She struggled of course but she settled down a lot faster than last time.

I sat down on the couch again with Serenity in my lap. She said nothing to me and she didn't even look at me. But that didn't prevent her from listening to me. "Serenity…" I softly whispered. "Serenity I am so sorry, I never meant to try and…strike you." I felt her cringe in my arms. "I cannot give you any excuse to why I was going to. I didn't know I was doing so until I …missed. And I'm glad I missed, because if I were to strike you then I would know there could be no chance."

Serenity glanced up at me with confusion. I looked back down at her then pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"The reason why I don't want you to do this…is because you are Charlotte, Serenity. You are her reincarnation." I rested my cheek against her soft golden hair. "You are the one I was searching for."

Her soft eyes widened with surprise and shock all at once. "Is…is that why I keep having these dreams about you Meier? Is that the reason I keep having those visions about her death --- she is me?"

I nodded to her softly and pressed her tighter to my chest, kissing the top of her head. "I never meant to try and do that, you must believe me. I love you Serenity; I love you as much as I loved Charlotte."

Serenity looked up at me, "Is that why you love me? I'm her?"

I shook my head quickly.

"Of course not! Although we've known each other for almost a month Serenity, I fell in love with you the second I saw you. What surprised me was that you were a witch. Please Serenity do not mistake my love for you, I might not have gotten over my dear Charlotte in the past, but it seems like the Gods are giving me another chance…with you. I want us to be together, please Serenity…" I had stopped my sentence when she turned her head away from me.

"You want…" she began in a low whisper. "You want to create a vampire/human love story in a way --- only this time with a happy ending…?" She looked up at me again, her soft blue eyes glittering lightly with tears that have already fallen. I nodded quietly. And then to my surprise she leaned upwards slowly and then kissed me! Even though our lips just brushed against each other for a second, it was still a kiss!

"I love you Meier Link," she said to me. "But I will not go back into the sunlight --- I am sorry but you will have to just accept that for a fact."

I sighed and glanced at her in disappointment. But she was right. I could not do anything to change her mind and return to her family or transfer to a daytime school. Serenity yawned in my arms so I stood up and carried her to her room. I gently laid her down and tucked her in, kissing her forehead lightly.

"You've had a long night Serenity, get some rest."

"Will you be back tomorrow night?"

I shook my head, "No, I am sorry but there is something I need to do. But I will return within three days. I have started to hear rumors around your school about you seeing `a stranger' every night."

Serenity laughed, "Yeah, best keep a low profile --- so I'll see you in three days?"

I nodded and kissed her again then left. At that moment I felt my heart sink but then pull itself back up again; like there's a chance she might not allow me to love her, but then she would soon let me into her heart; as ridiculous as it may sound.