Vampire Hunter D Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning ❯ Discovery ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Who could call out my name without regretting?

Who could see beyond this, my darkness?

And for once save their own prayers

Who could mirror down just a little of their sun?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

-----------------------------------------------

Serenity…Serenity…such a beautiful name, for a witch such as she; and who'd have thought she goes to a night school? I thought that she would just go to a normal high school. However she is not just a normal girl. But she is a natural girl.

I have done some research after I first met her; I didn't know much about witches and then I discovered that witches are people in tuned with the forces of the Earth. They honor their mother, the Goddess of the moon, the waters, and the Earth; and their father, the God of the sun, the forests, and the mountains. Her books were a strange collection and since I saw two tarot books I looked their definition as well. I must say, Witchcraft is very interesting indeed. I noticed her candles spread about her house one night and saw that most witches use candles for doing spells. But these are all minor details of what they are. I also began to read about what some witches refer to as "The Burning Times". I was terribly disturbed when poor innocent women and children were hanged being accused of something evil. It made me sick to my stomach --- now I understand why most witches live in secret. But not Serenity; it's like she knows about what happened but she's not afraid of what the people will do to her if they find out.

So much…like my own dear Charlotte.

Many of you might call me pathetic for this weak heart. Even though it has been almost twenty years since that tragedy I still am in love with her. And I am trying to find a way to bring her back. But…how, I do not know.

-----------------------------------------------

I went to see Serenity last night. But it seemed like she was not at home. All of her doors and windows were locked and there were no candles lit anywhere. Then I remembered it was still early, so she could still be at school.

I rode my horse down to her school; I parked him in an alley across the street. There were no cars out, no drapes open, so I quickly ran over to the school. In the window next to me, I saw a class of teenagers fobbing off on their work. I didn't see Serenity in there or in front so I moved to another window. I carefully snuck from window to window until I got to one of the back ones and finally saw her. But there was something wrong --- she looked sad.

Serenity sat by herself in back while the other students talked amongst themselves. She sighed and lifted the rose I gave her back up to her face --- wait! That's not my rose.

It was different; I just noticed it wasn't a red one. Instead it was a white rose. Whiter than her pale flesh --- something that really caught my attention. Serenity wore a black thin-strapped tank top that exposed a lot of her flesh. And although I was about six feet away from her, I could still smell her blood. Then I realized it has been a little while since I last fed…and I couldn't wait until she got out of class.

But then again --- I don't want to hurt her. There's still that one thing I wanted to say to her. I ran off for a minute to search for something to feed upon. I saw a man in black walking by, and without thinking, I dragged him into an alleyway and quite literally gorged myself on his blood.

I got back exactly when Serenity's school let out. I waited until Serenity walked out to appear on my horse. She was the last one to leave campus and that was when I rode up to her. She stopped and turned to face me. Though the sadness was gone from her face it remained in her eyes.

"Why Serenity, what on earth is the matter?" I asked in a gentle tone.

Serenity simply sighed, "I read the papers today and it seems like one of my family members past away last week. They just now found his body three days ago."

I caught my breath.

"I'm sorry Serenity. Who was it? You father?"

"No. My uncle --- Uncle Craig."

"I see…"

"Hey, Meier?" Serenity looked up at me and her eyes glittered a little. "Would you please take me down to the cemetery? I just want to drop this off for my uncle." She holds up the white rose, "it was always his favorite flower; and since I ran away not that long ago it only seems right for me to do this…"

I nodded, "Of course." I pulled her up onto my horse. She sat behind me with her arms encircled around my waist so she wouldn't fall. We galloped down to the cemetery where she told me to wait.

Serenity walked through the path of headstones to find her uncle's, got down on her knees and muttered a few words that I could not very well hear. I looked over at her and saw that she had collapsed and I immediately rushed over to her. I knelt down to check and it seemed that Serenity had passed out from exhaustion. But from what? I saw that her eyes were leaking tears slightly; I brushed them away softly then gathered her up into my arms and carried her back to my horse. I was careful not to wake her while placing her down in front of me and rode off back to her home.

When I returned to her house I used my abilities to unlock the door and open it. I carried Serenity to her room and gently set her down in her bed and tucked her in. She stirred a little and opened her eyes and looked around. For the first time our eyes met then and there. Two dark blue orbs looked like crystals at that moment still hazed over by tiredness.

"Where am I Meier?" her voice was still distant, meaning she was still sleepy.

"You are back in your room Serenity, you passed out in the cemetery."

Serenity yawned and I took her small hand into my own. Pressing a small kiss into it. "I guess it's my fault I wasn't getting much sleep," Serenity spoke again, "homework kept me up until 10pm, and then I wake up again at 3am from a nightmare that I've been having constantly…"

"You have nightmares Serenity?" I looked at her with a concern face. "For how long?"

"Four years. And it repeats the same event."

"What event?"

"The disappearance of my twin brother, Richter Dominique."

Richter --- that name seemed familiar, but I didn't remember where I've heard it. "I am sorry about your brother Serenity, and if there's anything I could do…"

"Please no…I'm quite alright Meier. But I thank you for your concern."

I smiled down at her and seated myself by her side on the floor, her hand still curled in mine.

"Meier?"

"You should rest Serenity."

"I will --- but I was wondering…would you please stay with me for a little bit while I sleep?"

I panicked a little bit. Sun rises at 7am; I checked the clock and sighed in relief when I saw it was only 8:32pm. I turned back to her and pressed another kiss onto her hand. "I will stay for as long as I possibly can…Serenity."

Serenity smiled and I watched as she drifted off into slumber.

-----------------------------------------------

As she slept a kept her hand in mine and used my free hand to stroke her golden hair, moving her bangs away from her face. Then I began to sense something strange. I sensed a being I haven't seen in over two decades --- Charlotte!

I couldn't believe it; it was like Charlotte was living inside of Serenity. I sensed her but then I sensed Serenity too! Like they were one! Then it hit me --- Serenity is Charlotte. Her spirit lived within the young witch. The Gods must have reborn her into Serenity so I might have a chance again. Rebirth…two spirits in one body…it all made sense now.

Serenity was Charlotte's reincarnation…

I lifted a trembling hand up to Serenity's sleeping form and touched her face. Serenity groaned quietly and stirred and opened her eyes to look up at me. My eyes looked like I was going to weep.

"Meier?" her voice was a little distant still but also shaken. "Are you alright? Why are you crying?"

I stood up after releasing her hand. I turned away and headed to the window. I heard Serenity saying for me to stop while yelling my name repeatedly; but what made me stop was when Serenity started to cry. I turned around and saw her face lowered to the bed, tears falling and soaking into the sheets. With all the speed a vampire could possess, I was back to her side, now gathering her up in my arms once again; cupping her head with my hand I held her close while I sat her on my lap. She rested her head against my chest crying and I silently cried with her. Though she didn't know why I was crying she didn't bother to ask until she was done. She looked up at me with her dark eyes now shimmering like crystals again. "M-M-M-Meier? W-why are you crying? Was it something that I…"

"No Serenity, it wasn't your fault," I said while rubbing my face into her hair. "It's not your fault."

She lifted her hand up and brushed away one of my tears. "Please don't cry Meier?"

I nuzzled her hair with my nose then kissed her forehead. I then lay her down in her bed and tucked her in. "It's late. I should go now. Please get some rest Serenity? If not for me then for yourself."

I stood up and opened the window and stepped out then closed it again, using the power to lock it again. I remained at her window with her resting in her bed. I only left when I saw Serenity's precious eyes close for the rest of the night.