Vampire Hunter D Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning ❯ Meeting A Vampire! ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Our paths they did cross, though I cannot say just why

We met, we laughed, we held on fast, and then said goodbye.

And who'll hear the echoes of stories never told?

Let them ring out loud `til they unfold.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

-----------------------------------------------

Hear when I thought I saw what this crazy world had to offer me, something happened to me that changed my life forever. And I mean that too. I am now more alert, more cautious, and I'm sleeping less.

Needless to say, I got scared two nights ago.

-----------------------------------------------

It was after school, there was nothing to do and my homework was done, so I went to the creek out of boredom. Go on and laugh if you want but if you grew up in the same place for fifteen years and know every shortcut and long routes in town you'd grow weary too. Trust me. My family was a territorial group, they'd stay in one place and if a child finally hits eighteen they would move away and do the same thing and never stray from their spots. Another reason why I ran away, it was madness! Pure madness and I didn't want to stay and end up like one of them. And I don't now, even though my school is in one place, I go everywhere.

But back on the subject shall we? Two nights ago…

My stomach was growling like a beast that had not had a bite in several months. And I felt like that because I hardly ate lunch or the school foods; it all tasted gross. I climbed up into the tree I usually sit in and leaned back against the trunk. I closed my eyes and started listening to the sweet silence of midnight, followed by the whispers in the soft wind ruffling the leaves and blowing my blonde bangs onto one side of my head. It was pure bliss, and I loved it.

Then I heard something splash in the water and I opened my eyes and turned my head. But there was nothing there but the ripples in the water of the creek. Perhaps some frog decided to jump in again. I turned my head back and closed my eyes, this time linking my hands behind the back of my head. Then I heard the leaves being ruffled again but the wind was not blowing at this point in time. But I ignored it; it was a creek, many creatures live in the trees of this old creek. However…none of the creatures breathed so hard as if it was dying to bite anything that reached out to it. I opened my eyes again and looked up…a vampire!

I screamed and rolled off the branch falling down onto the ground, then I got up quickly and started running but he got in front of me again and grabbed my arms in an extremely tight grip. Making me hold back a yelp of pain. I looked up and my jaw nearly dropped…this vampire was tall, white hair with some tied back, dark red eyes, red as the wine some people like to drink, and looked rich. Oh my God and Goddess above…it was the one in my dreams!!

He stared back at me licking his lips with hunger. I knew exactly what was coming. I turned away and chanted a spell that quite literally blew him back and he hit the tree. This time I didn't turn to run. I looked straight at that vampire, stood up straight, and took a deep breath.

The vampire just laughed at me as he stood up and started dusting himself off, "a witch," his voice was to die for I must admit, "that was something I did not intend from a girl like you."

"What the hell is that suppose to mean?"

He just simply walked towards me, stopping about two feet away. I took one step back…a giant one.

"I have been watching you for quite sometime now, and I just thought that you were a girl who enjoyed a night under the stars."

"Well, you were close. I enjoy darkness and I love the peaceful solitude this creek brings to me. Or should I say used to bring before you showed up."

His face went stern again, "If you want to make this harder be my guest. But in the end I will have your blood girl. I have not had anything to eat in over two weeks."

"And whose fault is that?"

The vampire said nothing.

"Look if it's blood that you want I swiped a blood bag from the hospital when I needed a few shots. I thought it would come in handy incase I ever lost any blood." I jerked my head over to a pathway in the long grass. "If you're that hungry than follow me." I turned and began to walk down the path.

-----------------------------------------------

Once I got back to my little apartment it began to storm out there. And after fifteen minutes the power gave up and shut down --- not that I really cared --- I grabbed a lighter and started lighting up some candles I set up around the room. Then I sat down in the middle of the floor and closed my eyes again. And again I saw a vision with that very same vampire…

My vision was cloudy at first but when it came to focus I saw myself staring up at his face. And words began to absent-mindedly spill from both of us.

"Charlotte! Charlotte wake up!"

Charlotte? Who's that? My name is not Charlotte…

"Meier…oh Meier…I saw it."

Okay that's not my voice.

"Saw what?"

"Our dream…you gave me a chance to see our dream. Where we left this place…to spend eternity together…in the stars…"

Hold on --- she can't be talking about the City of the Night is she?

He took her hand into his and it looked like a started to cry. And then…my vision went black.

My eyes automatically snapped open when I heard something pound at my window. I look over and I see one of the panes broken --- looks like he followed after all.

I got up and went to my backpack and grabbed a blood bag and hid it behind me. Then I went over to unlock my window and open it. When I did I fell back because he diagonally jumped in, knocking me over. He still had the expression of starvation etched on his face. And without saying anything, I just tossed the bag at his face. The vampire just caught it with one hand and sunk his teeth into it, lapping up every drop within the bag. I got up and shut the window and drew the blinds close so nobody could see him or me for that matter.

After what seemed like an hour he finally finished the bag of blood and sighed with satisfaction. I mutely look at him. Damn this guy was tall --- but then again I'm not really big myself. I'm merely a 5'5, 5'6 tops. He looked at me and still I said nothing.

"Thank you." He said at first. "But I must ask…why did you help me?"

"It was either the bag or me and I didn't want it to be me or anybody else for that matter," I lied. Usually anyone could tell if I was lying but since he's never seen me before that gave me the advantage.

"You're lying."

Or not. "How can you tell?"

"Your eyes --- they keep shifting from side to side. The only way someone can not tell a lie is if they were looking at me straight in the eye."

That just shut me up. I never knew that was how everyone could tell I was lying. Except for that one time my lips were moving and this nerd knew I was lying about the history of the Loch ness Monster. But that was all the way back in 4th grade.

"If you're done I would like you to leave now." This time I looked him straight in the eyes.

He just looked back at me then headed towards the window. He pulled back the blinds and opened the window, but before he left he glanced at me again.

"Incase we ever meet again Miss Witch, my name is Meier Link…"

My breath caught in my throat, and when I turned to face him he was already gone. I ran over to the window, slammed it shut, locked it and pulled the blinds over. Meier Link. I remember hearing that name from a traveler passing threw. He said he kidnapped his sister and after weeks of searching they find her dead. Meier Link…Meier Link…for some strange reason I once knew someone by that name a long time ago.

Or maybe…I knew him.