Vampire Hunter D Fan Fiction ❯ My three leaf clover ❯ Dear D ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

<B>Vampire Hunter D

<P>My three leaf clover - ch11 - Dear D</b>

<P>

After a brief moment of savoring the moment D carried a weary Clove to his horse after she explained that her horse had met misfortune and she needed a ride. He knew, he had seen it, and was kind of glad that he got to ride with her again. He had missed the feeling of a warm body and her in general. After seating Clove a top his black steed he laid out Evan's head and body to be burnt by the coming sun. Picking his dis-chaired hat off the ground and donning it he jumped up behind Clove and led his horse at a lazy pace a crossed the bridge.

<P>

Clove sighed and leaned back against D's chest as she had done many times before. In response D gingerly laid his broken hand a cross Clove's lap, a faint smile gracing his face. It was just like it had been long ago. For the first time in a long while D felt completely content and whole. It was strange to feel something other than loneliness or nothing at all. D rode back with a sleeping Clove and at a slow lazy pace. By the time the town came into sight the sun had already risen and the village was wide-awake. The villagers had stopped their jobs to stand in the rain and watch. Amidst their awed and wondering stares the donpeals strolled to the town hall and were greeted by an excited Lawrence and David.

<P>

Lawrence hobbled as fast as he could to D's side with his grandson right behind him. In his haste he had left hat and jacket behind, thus allowing him self to soak. "Did you do it?" He asked with wide eyes. "Did you finally finish him off?"

<P>

D nodded his head. "His body is roasting in the sun at the moment," D answer, a hint of amusement in his voice.

<P>

Lawrence made a gestured to Clove who was stirring. "What about Clove? Is she alright?"

<P>

D looked down at his now rousing Clove. "She's fine… A bit dirty and tired but otherwise fine… I was wondering if you allow us to stay with you until Clove gets back on her feet. Her horse which held everything she owned was killed."

<P>Lawrence nodded, "Of course you can stay, stay as long as you like! But I have to deal with a few things." D could see a few curious villagers wandering toward their mayor. "Ah…Here David will get you all set up at our home."

<P>

David swallowed nervously and cracked his head back to look up at D. To David D was the most intimidating person he'd ever met in his short life. Even holding Clove to his chest he was a force to be reckoned with in his and the rest of the villagers' eyes. The little boy gave his rain hood a tug then gestured for D to follow him. After stabling D's steed David rushed to the house, beckoning them to follow. D wrapped a struggling to stay a wake Clove in his cloak, clasp her shoulder and walked casually to David who was waving his arms around frantically to try and sped the donpeal up.

<P>

Upon entering Clove let D's cloak slip from her and wandered to a couch and fell face down on to, curled up, and fell asleep. David bent down and picked up D's discharged black cloak and held it up to him. His eyes were plastered down, not willing to look into D's eyes. The donpeal reached out and took his cloak from the young boy's hands. Silently with glancing at the boy D made his way to Clove coming to stand at her head.

<P>

"I… I guess she's real tired huh?" David's quiet voice spoke up. He took a few steps toward the two.

<P>

"Yes…" D answered. Clove had used all her energy on that last battle, not only was she fatigued from that and the many wounds suffered from it she still was running at limited blood. She simply couldn't stay awake anymore. D had a strong urge to brush back the light blonde locks that covered Clove's face but resisted. Although one would think D would be a person to not give a shit what others thought of him, which for the most part he was, he didn't want to display any extra affection on Clove in front of the boy.

<P>

D gently scooped Clove up in his arms. "Is there a room where we can sleep?"

<P>

David nodded. "Y-yeah, come on. We've got a spare room upstairs for you guys." The boy led them to the same room they'd used years before. D entered with Clove and laid her on the bed and began removing her soaked shoes. David seeing that D didn't need him for anything left closing the door behind him. D eased Clove under the covers and stood watching her and thinking. He felt so…so… He didn't even know exactly how he felt watching Clove. Even when he had her as a child he was mostly unfeeling and certainly didn't express them except for the occasional smile he would bestow on Clove and his emotional outburst on the bridge years ago.

<P>

"She's more lovely than I remember!" Left hand spoke up. D's blissful silence musing was rudely destroyed.

<P>

"You act as though you missed her…" D spoke silently. He tossed his hat to the table and sat down on the bed slowly, the bed sinking beneath him. He didn't wish to disturb Clove but in her dead sleep he could've jumped on the bed and not roused her.

<P>

"Damn right, better company then you'll ever be!"

<P>

D made an incoherent noise in response to left hand. He lay down next to Clove on his side facing the sleeping girl or more appropriately the sleeping woman.

<P>

"Hm…" the parasite mumbled. "What is your mind thinking donpeal? Is it straying to sinful actions?" he asked suggestively.

<P>

D sneered at the thought and then reconsidered for the thought had briefly crossed his mind. He felt ashamed to admit it but it was true. He'd left one day and came back to see a beautiful woman in the little girl's place. D couldn't have imagined how beautiful Clove would become. D sighed and brushed Clove's hair from her face tucking it behind her shoulder. Her face was blood strewn and dirty. She'd need to bath when she woke up. He found his hand going back to Clove's face gently stroking her cheek. Even though she was dirty her skin shone beautiful, a lovely creamy white color. Not chalky like his. Hers even held a faint pinkness in her cheeks.

<P>

"D…"

<P>The parasite's drawling voice brought D from his trance. He gave his head a shake and sighed. Crawling in closer to Clove he fell asleep. The two slept the rest of the day and into the night. D finally awoke at early dawn. Careful not to disturb Clove he rose and had David prepare a bath for Clove when she awoke. Once the porcelain tub had been filled to the rim D knelt at the bed and gently shook Clove awake.

<P>Clove brows furrowed at first and her lids slowly fluttered open. She started at D blankly then as the realization dawned on her she smiled. He was still there. She reached her hand out to D's face.

<P>D leaned his face forward so Clove's hand lay against the cool skin of his cheek.

<P> "I was afraid I'd wake up and you'd be gone again…" Clove said quietly.

<P>D reached up and clasped Clove's hand in his. "What I said Clove it was the truth. Now come on there's a hot bath waiting for you." Clove, still hand in hand with D, climbed to her feet and followed him to the bathroom. As she sunk deeply into the calming water David went and D got some clothes for Clove together.

<P>Clove thought over was D had said to her.

<P> "Please I'm sorry…

<P>She sunk deeper into the warm water, her nose hovering just above the water.

<P><I> "Please Clove…

<BR>That was the biggest mistake I've ever made…

<BR>I'll never leave you again…</I>

<P>The donpeal could feel a sob catch in her throat as tears swelled and dripped from her cheeks.

<P><I>I love you…"</I>

<P>Clove brought her hands to her face, her sob breaking from her throat. 'Does he love me or does he love the little girl I used to be? Because of what he did I'll never be the same again…' Clove brought her knees to her chest laying her head atop them. 'I'm not the same little girl and never will be her again. He loves a long dead shadow…'

<P>Over the next two days Clove stayed secluded in D's and hers room dressed in the white dress that David had given her. He told her it was his mother's dress. She'd accepted it with thanks. It fit like a dream. Thin straps entwined in ribbons with a shallow curved neckline. It stopped below her knees and swayed at the slightest movement. Not that it could be seen. Clove stayed wrapped in a downy blanket in an over-plush chair that looked out the widow. A bit confused by her actions D began to gather her needed supplies: horse, sword, clothes, ect. He just figured she needed some time to think. In actuality it was more like brooding.

<P>On the night of the third day D brought dinner up to Clove with the help of David. She would never eat anything they brought her so he figured he would try see if she would eat if he ate with her. D sat down at the table to his bowl of soup. Clove's bowl was opposite of his yet she still sat in her comfy chair with her knees pulled up to her chest.

<P> "You've been quiet…" D commented as he stirred the thick soup.

<P>Clove turned and looked a D, tears rolled down her face silently and a sad smile gracing her face.

<P>D put down his spoon and rose from his seat his hands planted on the table. "Clove?"

<P>Clove sniffled and let a sad laugh escape her lips. "You said you loved me but after thinking your words over I think you were confused. I'm not the same clove you knew… I've changed since I woke up alone… maybe for the better because I was forced to fight for my self but also maybe for the worse because I've changed so much D…"

<P>D walked to Clove lost for words. He reached out to brush Clove's cheek but she turned her head to avoid his touch.

<P>

"You don't love me…" Clove spoke silently. "You love that little girl I used to be…"

<P>D was motionless, his mouth agape. He closed it and thought over what she had accused. Did he still love her? He let his knee drop into the chair and clasped Clove's face. Forcing her to look at him. His brown eyes locked on to her aqua ones. "I love the girl you were, but I'm in love with the woman you've become…" D said leaning his face forward.

<P>All Clove got out was a confused "D" before D's mouth covered her. Her cheeks flushed and she closed her eyes returning his kiss. Clove let her arms slip around D's back. They finally broke their breathless kiss and D slid his leg behind Clove and sat. She adjusted with him leaning against him with her head tucked under his chin and hands resting atop his chest. The two simply sat in comfortable silence. Clove soon found her self dozing but was jarred awake by D's voice.

<P> "Mm what?" Clove mumbled.

<P> "I asked if you loved me. You never said a thing about it…"

<P>Clove moved her head away forcing D to raise his. She smiled and brought a hand to his face. He closed his eyes and leaned into her touch. "What do you think?" She laughed. "Of course I love you. Are you so insecure?"

<P>D took her hand in his. "With all that's happened you can't blame me now can you?"

<P> "No… I suppose not…"

<P> "Come lets go to sleep. We can get on the road tomorrow." Clove agreed and the two retired to the bed. Clove cuddle up against D's chest.

<P> 'You'd think I'd be completely content… I should be… but I'm not. Ugh why not?' Clove thought angrily. 'I guess I'm not content yet because he still doesn't understand the pain I felt… to be honest I don't understand the pain he felt at leaving me either.' She turned so her back faced him and that's when her eyes fell upon D's carefully packed supplies. Tears brimmed at her eyes and she smiled sadly. She knew what to do.

<P>D awoke the next morning to a cold bed. At first he thought that maybe Clove went down stairs for some food but when his eyes strayed to his supplies he knew better. Alarmed he sprang to his feet and went to investigate. In the space where Clove new things were was a letter…

<P>

<I>Dear D,

<BR>

Please forgive me for what I've done as I have forgiven you. I was mostly angry because you couldn't understand my pain but I realized that while you didn't understand my pain of being left I didn't understand the painful choice you made. I think that this switch in roles will help us under stand each other better. In another 50 years or so we'll meet and be closer than ever. Even as I write this I'm dying inside but I have to be strong. D please try not to be so cold to everyone, be kind. Not to the point of pity but be empathic. You can understand lost can't you? Unlike them I'm still alive and we'll meet again some day.

<BR>

D, I love you.

<BR><BR>

- Clove

<I>

<P>D let his arm drop and wandered over to the room lone window. He laid his forehead against the pane of glass. For the first time in a long while it wasn't raining and the sun shone through the clouds. D sighed let a tear roll down his cheek.

<P> "Damn…" Left hand mumbled. "I miss her already!"

<P><P>A/n- =D tee hee isn't that cute, I mean besides the dividing of the two I mean. I might write a short epilog because honestly I'm sad to see this story end. Most stories, toward the end, I just was to end but not this one. I'm sad to see it go! Also I'm going to be writing a little side story of one of D and little Cloves adventures, it's already in progress. But this one will be excusive to my friend Flame Kaat's site. If you want to read it when it comes out keep looking in at her site http://www.flamekaat.com