Vampire Hunter D Fan Fiction ❯ My three leaf clover ❯ epilog ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Vampire Hunter D

My three leaf clover - epilog

D stood leaning against a wall off the small cottage tapping his foot impatiently. He still couldn't believe he was here in this situation. He never would have dreamed it would've have come to this. It all started a year in a half ago, when he'd found her again.

He had been traveling as always and ending up in a foggy depressing little hamlet. Having nothing to do and nowhere to go really he decided to loiter and stop at the small town's tavern. As D sat he watched silently. The donpeal was used to being alone but it had not always been that way. He missed Clove so much, but he couldn't think of her. It hurt too much. D lifted his tanker and took a long draft of it. The empty glass sounded loudly against the wooden table. D sighed and reached from his pitcher and was a bit shocked when a hand came to lie atop his. He looked up and was speechless.

Clove smiled down at him and slid in to sit next to him. "I think you've had enough." That's how they meet, for a third time. It had been 65 years since their last meeting and this time the two were determined to stay at each other's side. No more leaving, no more pain. D had no idea he could be this happy, all the loneliness he felt, the coldness disappeared and he felt whole again.

It was golden; they fought and killed their ancestors together picking up job after job. Time seemed to fly. It must had been 7 or so months after their reunion when D finally took Clove. He didn't even realize he had gone that far until Clove started throwing up every morning. At first he thought it was an illness and was very alarmed since Donpeal rarely ever get sick. He had taken her to the nearest doctor and was shocked to learn she wasn't sick she was pregnant. D didn't know what to think, he'd done what he swore to never do. To bring another of their kind into the world.

It was then that he began to plan. Maybe he could give Clove something to cause a still birth or he could sneak the new born away from Clove and kill it, telling her it died in birth. Watching Clove in her excitement caused D to cry inwardly at his own thoughts. Would he be able to kill their child? Would he be able to lie to his love?

"Sir…"

The housewife to the cottage disturbed D's train of thought. Clove water had broken and this was the closest house in miles. It belonged to an old couple and luckily the wife had delivered every one of their two daughter's children and was ready and willing to help.

"Come on sir, she's given birth!" The kindly woman led D to a back room. There Clove lay in a old four post bed breathing heavily. Her brow was slick with sweat and her hair a mess. The housewife walked into a small adjunction room, equivalent in size to a small bathroom. She gestured for D to follow. After giving Clove a concerned glance he did so.

There on a nest of blankets on a plain wooden table lay his child.

"Congratulation, You're the father to a healthy baby girl," The old woman said with a wide grin. "I'll see to your wife, bring your child to her."

D causally approached the table and looked down at the squirming baby. It was still wet, it's small hands opening and shutting. D reached his hand down to hers. The child's small hand closed around his finger. He was amazed at how tiny they were. His hands were that small at one time and that boggled his mind. He took his free hand and took a bit extra blanket gently wiping her forehead. This little girl looked up at him and smiled, a pure and innocent smile that made his heart ache. He couldn't, He couldn't hurt this small thing.

"D…" Clove wavering voice called.

D gently wrapped his child and picked her up gingerly. He'd made up his mind. He couldn't kill her mother and he couldn't kill her. He wouldn't. D adjusted the newborn in his arms and went out to meet Clove. Clove began to cry and held her arms out, wanting her baby. D sat on edge of her bed and gave Clove their child. He finally had a family.

~~~The end~~~

A/n- Happy, Happy! Aw, a whole half vampy family! I hope everyone enjoys this last and final chapter! I guess that's a bit misleading since I actually have a small side story written up that will be posted exclusively on my friend's site: http://www.flamekaat.com . Maybe, Maybe I'd write a sequal… but I doubt it. I don't know what it would be about.