Vampire Hunter D Fan Fiction ❯ Vampire Hunter Six ❯ Curse of the Blood Moon ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Episode 1:

Curse of the Blood Moon

I had woken up to the cold breeze of the night air. The bright, nearly full, moon hung high in the sky. Suddenly I became aware of the fact that I couldn't move. Closing my eyes I searched my memories to try and figure out what had happened. Then it dawned on me, I had passed out again. I opened my eyes to see Greg standing above me. He was in his hunting gear, a black leather suit with blue leather boots and gloves. With all my strength I managed to get one of my hands out of the dirt. How he managed to bury me this deep I didn't know, and I didn't feel like asking. He took my hand and helped me out of the hole. I balanced myself and began to shake the dirt off my clothes. Luckily my hair had been spared from the dirt; washing mud out of it was always a pain. Just days before my hair had been in long black locks which were a little shy of waist length. I made Greg cut it. It now hung just blow my jaw line, in a V-cut. I spent a good five minutes dusting myself off. Finally I had gotten most of the dirt off. My red and black breast plate was some what clean. My once black leather pants looked brown still and my black boot were already dirty so I really didn't care about them too much.

"Here." Greg said holding out my short sword, cape, and my bow and arrows. I took them from him and re-equipped myself. I put my sword back on my belt, tied my waist length purple cape to my breast plate, and tied my bow and arrows back onto my back.

"Well." I said with one final look to check my appearance. "I'd say it's time to move out." I began to walk north again because it was the last direction we were heading before I passed out.

"Is that all you have to say?" Greg asked.

"What do you mean?" I knew what he meant, but I didn't want to talk about it. I had passed out from heat syndrome 5 times this month, and every time I had to listen to Greg's bitching.

"You shouldn't push yourself so hard. I told you when we have enough money we can buy a horse but until then you should take it easy. You should rest during the day. What if next time I'm too late and I don't transform in time to bury you, what then? All I have is you Six. Not many people are willing to take in a man who turns into a crow every morning."

"Cry me a river!" I said under my breath.

"And that's another thing Six. I'm getting sick and tired of your sarcasm. We could have had a job in the last town we were in put you had to open your big mouth."

"Hey the guy was an asshole. He wanted us the kill two vampires and only pay a thousand each. That's a rip off if you ask me. Besides if he cared about his brother he would have hired us despite of what I said." Greg gave me his classic look of disapproval. Besides who died and made him supreme ruler of my life. I didn't ask him to come with me on my mission, he just tagged along. I guess it was that old big brother thing.

"The next town is on the other side of this forest, if we hurry we can make it their before sunrise, then we can rest." Greg said as we entered the forest. There was something wrong. I could feel it as we walked on to the path. It was as if the forest was alive. I could feel a thousand unfriendly eyes watching us as we moved.

"Isn't there another way?" I asked. Greg pulled out the map and studied it intensely.

"Well if we go around the forest it could take another day or two to reach the village. Why do you ask?"

"I don't know. Something doesn't feel right."

"Vampires?" Greg asked.

"No, but there's something is in this forest. Something hostile, something malevolent, it doesn't want us here." I answered.

"I'm sure it's nothing we can't handle." Greg replied.

"Then why are you holding you gun?" I asked. I could see his hand out if the corner of my eye. I t was wrapped firmly around the gun in his belt.

"Hey you can never be too careful. When you're a hunter danger can jump out when you least suspect it." I stopped; I could hear something in the distance. It sounded like an animal, no, a human, a woman screaming.

"What's wrong?" Greg asked.

"Someone's in trouble, up ahead." I said.

"Well let's get moving. Who knows we might get a little money for rescuing someone." I took off ahead of Greg. I was twice as fast as he was so in no time he was shouting at me to slow down. The woman's screams were getting louder now. As I ran closer I could hear a gun go off, and smell charred flesh. Next came the howling. Werewolves. They were every where. They had the area surrounded. I run around the next bend in the road and I could see the woman up ahead of me. She had been disarmed. Her gun was several yards away from her. She was on the ground trying to crawl away from the werewolves. Two of them were looming over her, getting ready to strike. I could sense four others in the area, but I didn't know exactly where they were.

When I got close enough I leaped into the air, and drew out my sword. It was until I was on my way down that the black werewolf saw me, but by then it was already too late. With the force of my body weight I plunged my sword into his chest. He staggered backwards from my blow. I dug the sword deeper, searching for his heart. Finally he fell over with me on top of him. I pushed even deeper, finally I found it. I felt the sword pierce his heart and heard the tearing of my sword as it sliced its way through.

With one foot on the wolf I pulled out my sword. The fresh blood ran down the hilt and onto my hand. I fought the urge to lick the blood off my sword, to feast on my fresh kill. I turned around to see the other werewolf coming towards me. I jumped into the air again, as high as I could go. I dropped my sword and pulled out my bow and an arrow. Before the wolf had time to think I shot an arrow through its forehead. It cried out as the arrow made its way through the skull, it fell dead next to he other wolf.

I landed one knee. The woman looked at me in shock. Her wide blue eyes stared in to mine. Her curly red hair was in a dirty mess. She was clearly a villager, she wasn't wearing any hunting gear, and all she had was the gun. I walked over to the dead wolves and picked up my sword and her gun.

"Six!" I could hear my brother call as he finally made it to the scene. He stopped just a few feet in front of me and bent down to catch his breath. "What happened? What did I miss?" he asked between breaths.

"Just some of the best fighting skills I've seen in a long time." The woman said as she picked herself off the ground. "Thank you very much. If it wasn't for you I'd be a werewolf by now."

"Don't mention it." I said. "You shouldn't be out here in the first place. You're obviously not a professional hunter." I handed her gun back to her.

"I know ever since my brother died there's been no one to hunt the werewolves, and now there numbers have tripled in a year." She looked at me, than at Greg. "Ooh, I'm sorry. My name is Rachel, and you are?"

"I'm Six, this is my brother Greg, and it's a pleasure."

"Come with me. I'll take you back to my house. My mother will be happy when she hears the news. We haven't had a werewolf slayer in these parts for two years; she'll be relieved when she hears you have come."

"Hey Six!" Greg whispered to me. "We're not werewolf hunters we're vampire hunters."

"At least it's a job. Beside these people obviously need help. If the population of werewolves in this area has really tripled than these folks are in a lot of danger."

It was near dawn by the time we reached Rachel's house. Her home was a small cottage with the typical barrier surrounding it. The front door was painted a light blue and it had flower curtains blocking any one who was trying to peek inside. Rachel opened the door slowly.

"Mother?!" She yelled into the house. "Are you home?" Soon Rachel's mother came into view. She had the same bright blue eyes Rachel had, but her hair was a faded red and more straight with age. She was wearing a pink dress with a white apron. I knew people on farms were up early but the sun hasn't even risen yet.

"Oh my Rachel, I was so worried." The woman said as she hugged her daughter. She then turned her attention the Greg and I. "Who are your guests?" she asked.

"This is Six and Greg. They saved me last night when I was attacked by the werewolves."

"You were out hunting wolves again?" The woman exclaimed. "How many times have I told you, you're going to get yourself killed. I've already buried a husband and a son thanks to those God damned wolves."

"You don't need to worry anymore mother. Six and Greg are hunters."

"Thank heaven you two have come." The old woman was now pacing across the room. She was overjoyed and excited. "The mayor will be very pleased to hear that you two have arrived. There hasn't been a hunter in these parts since John was killed. He started to hunt the wolves after their father died, he and my other son Chris. One night Chris came home half dead and John was lost to us. You don't know how hard it is for a mother to bury her children."

"How is Chris?" Rachel asked.

"He's fine, he's in the kitchen helping me with breakfast. Come in, come in. I'd like to treat you all to breakfast." The old woman went hastily back into the kitchen. I smiled. Its been a while since I've had a good home cooked meal, and I was very hungry.

"Come on, this way." Rachel said as we followed her into the kitchen. "Sit down, please." Greg and I did as she asked and sat at the table. She went to help her mother prepare breakfast. Across from us was, I assumed, Chris. He smiled at me which made me feel a bit unpleasant. He was in a wheelchair, probably due to his werewolf attack, and he wore a patch over his left eye. I could see the pink claw marks around the edge of the patch. He was lucky to survive. Other than his injuries he was a hansom man. He had a bright blue eye, the same color as his mother and sister, and long, shoulder length, blonde hair.

"So what brings you folks to these parts? We seldom get visitors any more, on account of the werewolves."

"We were just passing through actually when we came upon your sister." Greg replied.

"So are you experienced werewolf hunters?" Chris asked. Greg and I just looked at each other. I guess it was okay to tell them a little bit of the truth. I mean a hunter's a hunter, right?

"Well actually we're vampire hunters, but if your town is in desperate need of some help we'll gladly offer our services." I answered.

"Vampire hunters, ay." Chris replied. "Well I guess during these times you have to take what you're given." The first rays of the morning sun began to shine through the kitchen window.

"Umm, Greg?"

"Yeah Six?"

"You might want to take some cover."

"Why?" Greg asked as he looked out the window. "Oooo, cra….." In a puff of smoke Greg was gone. All three of them looked at me. I felt kind of weird having to explain this to them.

"It's a parlor trick." I shrugged, I didn't no what else to say. Greg's clothes were in a pile on the chair, and there was apparently no sign of him.

"It's no use pretending now." Greg said as he jumped up on to the table. He shook to get his feathers aligned right.

"Greg had a little run in with a vampire's witch when we were younger. As you can see she put a doosey of a curse on him." I explained. Rachel and the old woman returned to their work. I guess everyone around here has had their fair share of weird things.

"Can't say that isn't one of the weirdest things I've seen." Chris said. "But we haven't had a vampire around here for over a century. The vampire's name was Lee, I think. Anyway he tired to kidnap my great grandmother, Doris. But one day a Dunpeal showed up, his name was D. He saved my grandmother and destroyed the Count. Ever since then the only thing we've heard about vampires have come from travelers."

"D?" I whispered to myself. I would like to meet D if he was still alive. I would like to talk to another Dunpeal. I have no idea what I'd say to him, but it would be comforting to talk to someone in the same situation I'm in.

The old woman started piling plates of food on the table. "Breakfast is ready."

"Good. I'm quite hungry." I replied.

"Well eat up girl. There's plenty to go around." The old woman assured me. Obviously these people have never feed a Dunpeal who is also a growing woman. I looked at Greg; he was still perched on the table. He gave me that don't embarrass me look. But he did that job all on his own.

"As soon as we're done eating we'll head to the village. Rachel will call the mayor before we leave to inform him of your arrival." Chris explained.

"He's not going to throw a party is he?" I asked.

"I don't know. He's been doing an awful lot of strange things to keep the village's hopes up." Chris said. I began to dig into my food. I haven't eaten like this in a while. I watch Greg pick at his food with his beck. It was always amusing watching him eat as a bird.

Shortly after breakfast Rachel began to load up a two horse wagon. I helped her as best I could; I haven't really strap horses into a wagon before. Her mother came out to get the horses ready. Chris rolled himself over to the wagon. Rachel helped him stand so I could fold up his wheelchair and put it in the back. Chris was then able to lift himself up and onto the wagon using his powerful arms. As he did so he looked at me, I guess he was trying to impress me. I didn't have the heart to tell him off. After we were all in the back of the wagon I helped Rachel strap down Chris. For the entire time Greg say on my shoulder and watched as I did all the work. If he could smile through that beck of his it'd be from ear to ear. Finally the horses were ready. Rachel's mother took the reins and began to lead the horses into town, which was a good couple of miles away. Rachel and I sat in the back with Chris. Every now and then he would steel a look at me, I pretended not to notice. I was beginning to think he had a crush on me. It kind of made me feel bad because if he knew what I really was he wouldn't be so friendly.

An hour had past. I sat there in silence mainly because the heat was making me sleepy. Rachel and her mother were talking about stuff that needed to be done around the farm. Chris would jump in every once in a while, but he mostly remained quiet.

"So where are you from Six?" Rachel asked. Her question jolted me awake.

"What?"

"So where are you from?" Rachel asked again. She and Chris where waiting intensely for my answer.

"I really don't know. My family was a bunch of merchants so we traveled around a lot." I replied.

"Must be weird, not having a home." Rachel said to herself.

"We took home with us. Except for all the moving we did normal family stuff." I replied.

"So how are your folks now? Do they know you're a vampire hunter?" Rachel asked. I didn't answer her. I tried not to show any emotion, but some of my sorrow managed to make its way to the surface.

"What's wrong Six?" Rachel asked.

"That's enough Rachel." Chris said. For the rest of the ride to town the wagon was silent.

The town was as quiet as a ghost. Hardly anyone was in the streets, buildings had their windows and doors boarded up, and everyone was carrying some kind of a weapon. It looked to me that this werewolf problem was three times worse than I thought it was, and that it has been an on going problem. The old woman stopped the wagon outside of the Town Hall. She turned around and looked at all of us.

"Six, you wait here with Chris, and we'll go get the mayor." She said. "Come on Rachel."

"Coming mother." Rachel said as she jumped out up the back of the wagon. Greg stood up and ruffled his feathers. He probably slept through the whole ride.

"I'm going to have a look around Six, ya know, to see if there's any activity in the town itself." Greg said.

"Have fun." I replied. Greg spread his wings and flew out of the wagon. I remember when he first tried to fly, he nearly killed himself. I though I was going to lose him until dusk came. When he changed back into a human all his wounds were gone. I assume the same thing would happen if he was in his human form. If he turned into a crow when he was injured all his wounds would disappear. Thankfully we haven't had the opportunity to find out.

"Sorry about what Rachel said earlier, she didn't know any better." Chris said.

"I know." I replied. I wasn't in the mood to talk about anything right now.

"She doesn't understand to reason why people become hunters. The only reason why you found her out in the woods was because she was worried about our crops. Some of the mutants come out at night and feed on our crops, she was hunting them. But I know, after they killed my father I felt to overwhelming need to destroy all werewolves. Obviously I never achieved that goal." Chris explained. We sat there for a few minutes in silence. Chris was staring at me waiting for a reply.

"No one knows the future, what will happen, or when we'll die. I guess you have to worry about the here and now because you never know when you won't be able to worry about it anymore." I said. Chris looked down, then out of the back of the wagon.

"I suppose your right. I mean I never thought I'd end up like this. I thought I'd die first."

"Six!" I heard Rachel call. I looked over my shoulder. Rachel came running up to the wagon. Her mother and the mayor came up to the wagon. "The mayor was delighted when he heard to news." Rachel explained. The mayor was a pudgy little man, with a long white mustache, and a pair of thick glasses.

"Why hello there young lady, you're not the only hunter are you?" He asked as he waddled up to the wagon. I refrained myself from saying anything smart. If I lost another job to my mouth Greg would probably kill me.

"No, my brother is also a hunter. He's out scouting the area at the moment. You know looking for any possible activity or layers." I told him what he wanted to heard. The big brave man goes out and does all the work while the woman sat around to look pretty and do all the paper work. I hated men like that.

"Good, good!" The fat man chuckled to himself. "I didn't want to have to worry about a pretty little thing like you."

"So what's the situation mayor? I would like to know as much about the werewolves in this area before night fall." I asked.

"As you have probably heard from Rachel, the wolf population has been getting out of hand. Ever since Chris' injury and John's death there hasn't been anyone around to keep their numbers down. And to make thing worse tonight is the night of the blood moon." The mayor explained to me.

"Don't you mean a sanguine moon?" I asked.

"No, this moon is different. Every two hundred years the moon glows with a red light so bright that is turns the entire sky a blood red color. Back before there were hunters the werewolves considered such a night as a holy night. They would destroy entire towns, covering themselves in their victims' blood, and torturing every person they could in contact with. For centuries there haven't been enough wolves in the area for them to commit such an inhuman act, but…."

"But you're afraid now, that their numbers are so high, they'll commit such an act here." I said.

"Yes. And since this would be their first blood moon in centuries, tonight might be one of the most horrible things to happen in this region's history." The mayor was obviously very frightened for himself and his people, but mostly for himself. If I wasn't felling a bit greedy I probably wouldn't charge them in this case, but I need a horse and enough money to buy food. It was a tough world out there and I wasn't taking one step into it with an empty stomach.

I looked at Rachel, then her mother, and then at Chris. "I'd be more then happy to help you all out. Just give me a horse and enough money to buy food and you got yourselves a werewolf hunter." I said. They all were overjoyed at my response.

"Oh thank you! Thank you! You will not go unrewarded for your good deed." The mayor exclaimed. If tonight was really the night of the `blood moon' I had only a few hours to prepare for battle. First I would need to make more arrows. Since I special hollow tipped arrows they would cost us the rest of our money. I fill them with a mixture of silver and mercury because both metals cause more damage to the flesh of vampires and werewolves. Thankfully I had some left on me. Next we would have to find the wolves' layer, which was probably out in the woods. We would have to find it before night fall. I had a feeling there was more to the story then what he was telling me, but a couple of werewolves didn't bother me. If I could kill a couple of vampires with no problem and few werewolves should be a walk in the park, right?

It was only a few hours away from night fall by the time we have returned to the cottage. The mayor had kindly giving me a horse. It was an older cream color one, but it was still a horse. I had ridden it back to the farm. Greg returned to me sometime during the trip back. He said he couldn't find any nests in town so they all had to be out in the woods. I packed up Greg's clothes in a sack Rachel had given me. Before I set out the old woman gave us food. I wanted to head out before dusk to see if we could find anyone going in or out of the woods. The werewolves would probably convene at their layer before heading into town. As I loaded up my horse Chris came outside.

"Six." He said as he wheeled up to me. "Good Luck!" he said.

"Thanks, luck it always a good thing to have." I said.

"You know I really like you Six." Chris said as I lifted myself up on to the horse.

"I know." I replied.

"Just don't get yourself killed. I've seen one too many young girls fall victim to the wolves out there." Chris explained.

"There worry about me. I have a trick up my sleeve they'll never suspect." I said as I motioned to the horse to move out. We rode along the edge of the forest until nightfall. We didn't see anything. We had to go into the mouth of the dragon, into the forest where the wolves had the advantage.

Nightfall brought a very welcomed cool breeze. Greg changed back into his human form and got into his suit as fast as he could.

"Here are you guns." I said to him holding out his weapons. He strapped his shot gun back onto his back and his handgun onto his belt.

"What do we do first?" Greg asked.

"I don't know I've never hunted werewolves before." I replied. I left the horse at the forest's edge. All I need was for it to get killed. Cautiously we walked along the main path through the woods. We walked through as silent as possible. I put my supernatural hearing to the test. I tried to hear every sound, from the owl hooting in the tree tops to the mice crawling around the forest floor. Through the blackened silence I listened, for any clue on the where-a-bouts of our prey.

"Don't you notice that?" Greg asked.

"Notice what?" I asked.

"It's quiet, too quiet. I don't like it." Greg replied as we walked deeper into the woods. I stopped. I could here something moving quickly through the forest. Then it dawned on me, we were being hunted.

"Greg, it's a trap!" I screamed just as three wolves jumped out of the brush. Greg reached behind him to pull out his shot gun, but before he could do so a wolf jumped him from behind. The wolf pulled Greg's arms behind his back and held him in a painful position.

The other three wolves went after me. They surrounded me so there were two in front of me and one in back. Slowly I drew out my short sword. I could hear the one behind me breath heavily, he was getting ready to strike. The two in front of me jumped me first. I ran my sword through the one on my left. The one on my right gripped my arms and pulled me into his body. The one that was behind me closed in and it tried to take my sword. I kicked him in the head and he staggered backwards. Another wolf jumped out from the trees. I tried to wiggle my way out of the one werewolf's grip, but he held on to me with a death grip. The one I kicked in the head got up and got a hold on to my legs. The one that was holding me wrapped his paws around my wrist. I struggled but their grips were too tight. I looked over at Greg. He was mouthing something to me. I think he was saying use your powers, but I knew better. The wolves were going to take us back to their den, probably to show us to their master, the alpha wolf. The one that had jumped out of the trees took charge. He barked out orders and walked into the woods. Our captors followed with us reluctantly in their grasp.

In the distance I could hear the distinct sound of howling and drums. The wolves were getting ready for tomorrow night; they probably planned to use us as their first kill. As we came closer to the den I decided it would be best for me to stop struggling and save my energy for later. I closed my eyes and drew all my strength inward. The more energy I saved the stronger I became, and the stronger I was the better chance we had of surviving this whole ordeal.

Slowly we emerged into a clearing. I could see a large cave in front of us, their den. Red, brown, and black wolves danced around the large fire in the center of the clearing. Some of the wolves were still in their human forms. They were nuked and beat furiously on their drums. A big black wolf walked up to us.

"Tie them up." He said in an inhuman voice. "The master wants them alive for tomorrow night." I heard Greg cry out in pain.

"Greg!" I screamed as I turned around to see a gigantic paw flying towards my face. Darkness consumed me, and I welcomed to temporary comfort it brought.

Slowly I opened my eyes to see the sun setting in the western sky above the trees. I struggled to remember what happened. I felt that my hands were bound behind me, and I looked down to see my feet wrapped tightly in rope. All my weapons were gone. They had even taken my breast plate so all I had was my white tang top and black bra to protect my chest. I looked to my right to see Greg still unconscious on the ground. He was nude; his clothes were in a pile next to him. Thank God he was laying and his stomach. There was a naked woman behind him, retying his ropes. She was looking up at me through a mess of long brown hair, and growled deep in her throat.

Suddenly a crowd of wolves began to surround us. The big black wolf appeared in front of us again.

"Bring the here!" he growled.

"Let me go!" I heard Rachel scream as they threw her and her mother down next to me. "Greg!" she cried as she crawled over to him. She looked back at me, "Are you okay?"

"Oh yeah I'm fine. I'm much more worried about what going to happen to all these werewolves when I get loose." I replied.

"You're in no position to be talking tough." The black wolf said.

Another wolf emerged from the crowd. Chris was unconscious in his arms. He threw Chris down at my feet. Rachel's mother crawled over to him.

"What have you done to him you bastards?" she screamed.

"On the contrary I've never been better." Chris said as he looked about toward me. Slowly he sat up. The black wolf reached down and helped him to his feet.

"Chris?" his mother whispered.

"You bastard!" Rachel screamed. "You're the alpha wolf!"

Chris laughed. "I was wondering when you two would catch on. No one survives a werewolf attack without contracting the disease."

"But why Chris? Why?" his mother pleaded.

"Well I do owe you an explanation." Chris said as he walked over to his sister. "It was shortly after my attack. I knew I had contracted the disease that causes a human to turn into a wolf. I planned to kill myself after I sought revenge on those that killed my brother. But something I could never image happened. As I tore the heart of the old pack leader out of his body the taste of the blood excited me. It gave me a sensation I have never felt before. It was then I realized that to be a werewolf isn't a curse, but I gift. I am beyond all humans, their petty rules no longer applied to me. But something was missing. Patiently I waited for the right woman to come along, to rule beside me as my alpha female. I pretended to be a cripple, so that no one would ever suspect me of being a wolf. But that all changed when you came Six. The moment I saw you I know that you were strong enough to rule the wolves along side me."

"I afraid I'm a lot more than you expected." I said staring up at him. Greg began to sir in his sleep. "About time." I said.

Greg looked up at me. "What the hell is going on?" he asked.

"Take a quick look around and you tell me." I replied.

"I am going to have to fix that tongue of yours," Chris said. "And teach you some respect."

Greg giggled at Chris' comment. "Wait a minute. Aren't you supposed to be in a wheelchair? What did I miss?"

"A lot." I said.

A blood red sky began to slowly rise in the east. Like a huge wave spanning the sky, it slowly began to take over the sky's natural blue hue.

"It had begun." Chris said out loud. "For centuries our kind had been denied the celebration of the blood moon. Tonight will be a night of feasting and terror; the humans won't know what hit them. Humans cling to their miserable existence. They should have died in the Great War over ten thousand years ago. This world rightfully belongs to us. We are superior in ever way. Together no one can stop us, not even the vampires."

"I beg to differ." I said.

"Oh, you'll be begging for a lot more things when you become my bride Six." Chris said as he began to strip off his clothes.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"You are a virgin. It is custom that I take it before I make you a werewolf."

"In front of all these people? Why don't we go some place quiet?" I asked. If I got him alone I could kill him with no problem.

"How dumb do you think I am? You're a hunter; you probably know a hundred different ways to kill me." Chris said as he unbuckled his belt.

"I don't need to see this." Rachel said as she looked away.

"Hey leave my sister alone!" Greg screamed.

"You'll have your turn birdy, just wait." Chris said as he dropped his pants. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw he was wearing boxers.

"If you were waiting for a good time to do something now would be a good time!" Greg shouted.

"Enough talk! Take them away. I don't want them to interfere with me and my new bride." Chris said. Three wolves came away from the crowd and dragged Rachel, her mother, and my brother out of the center of the clearing, and beyond the crowd of the surrounding werewolves. Slowly Chris lowered his boxers; I turned away and closed my eyes. I've never done any thing with a man before. I was at a complete loss at what to do. I turned back toward Chris. He was crawling on all four toward me. I concentrated on his face so that I wouldn't see what was dangling between his legs.

"Can't we talk things out?" I asked with an awkward smile on my face. He smiled back until his face was right in front of mine.

His lips hovered over my own as he said. "Just relax. Maybe you'll enjoy it." I could feel his warm, moist breath on my lips. He reached up and touched my cheek, I turned away. He grabbed my chin and forced me to look into his one eye. Suddenly he forced himself upon me. He pushed his lips against mine and forced his tongue inside my mouth. I could feel his hands exploring my body, and I heard him begin to rip off my tank top.

I closed my eyes and tried to pretend this wasn't happening. Greg was right. We should have stay put. He had a good job at night patrolling for mutants, and I was a waitress. But I had to leave I had to find the vampire that kill my mother. I had to seek revenge on my father, Rex. He kidnapped her, raped her, and killed her! He raped her and forced her to have his child! He raped her and forced her to have me! He raped her! I could feel my power swelling within me. I opened my eyes. When Chris saw them he slowly backed away.

"Your eyes?" He managed to say. "Why are they red?"

To answer his question I opened my mouth and let my fangs grow larger. My energy escaped from me like a wind. For years I had kept it inside, hidden it away from the world. I could feel enormous strength running through my arms. With one quick jolt I ripped the rope that bound my arms to shreds. Next I ripped off the ropes on my legs. Slowly I rose, Chris stood his ground, but the other werewolves backed off.

"I'm so sorry to rain on your parade Chris, but I'm not human. I'm a Dunpeal, and the last thing you'll see before you die!"

It was the big black werewolf who jumped at me first. Quickly I put up a shield around me using my own energy. My energy stopped him in mid air. I raised my hand towards him and with my energy I threw him well beyond the crowd of werewolves. I looked back to Chris. His skin began to ripple and stretch like something was about to escape from underneath it. Slowly his beast emerged. His muscles elongated, his bones broke and reformed. White fur slowly began to cover his body until all that stood before me was a great white wolf.

With my energy I reached out and felt for my sword. I felt it beyond the crowd of werewolves. I wrapped my energy around it and brought it back towards me. With my right hand I gripped the handle tightly.

"If you will not be mine then I was start our celebration with your blood!" Chris screamed as he jumped at me. I welcome his attack. The sense of battle and the thought of death excited me. I could smell his blood coursing through his veins, and with each beat of his heart my hunger grew deeper.

His claw raced toward my face. With my power I stopped it and held him in place. "Go ahead kill me! Chris growled. "You and I are no different. The humans fear us because we are stronger than they are; they know we can rule them. We try to hide among them but our hunger makes us stand out. No matter how hard you try to hide among them one day your hunger will get the best of you and you will become what you hate most."

"You're wrong. I came to terms about what I am years ago. You want to kill the humans because you know as a werewolf they will never accept you so you hide from them like the coward you are. You kill them because you fear them. But I can care less. I live my life out in the open, and I have learned to live side by side with them. If I choose to hunt them than so be it, I am what I am. I'm not one of those monsters who run around in the shadows pretending to be something I'm not."

"Then why are you a vampire hunter?" As soon as he finished I sliced my sword through his chest. As the sword slide through he gave one load howl before falling limp upon my blade. I lowered my blade and let his body slide off. I looked to the crowd of werewolves in front of me. Fear covered their faces. I raised my bloody blade and slowly licked off the blood. The wolves turned and ran into the woods. Without their leader the will be easily picked off.

I could fell my energy escaping me. Suddenly I felt weak and nauseous. I fell to my knees and dropped my sword. I could fell darkness washing over me. I tried my best to fight it off, to stay awake. The darkness won, and I slipped into the shadows of my own mind.

I opened my eyes to a totally different environment. I was lying in a cozy bed, dressed in a white night gown. Greg stood over me, Rachel at his side.

"It's about time." He smiled at me. "You've been out for two days."

I sat up and rubbed my head. "What happened?" I asked.

"You killed the alpha male. The villagers are out now killing off the strays. Thanks to you and Greg our village is safe again." Rachel explained.

I looked down at my sheets. "I'm sorry about your brother."

"Chris died when John did." She said with no expression on her face.

"You better get ready Six. We'll be leaving soon." Greg said.

"Did the mayor give you the money?" I asked.

"Yeah, a few days ago, he wanted to have a celebration but I told him you were still out cold. He said to let him know when you wake up."

"That's means we should book it?" I asked.

"Yeah, there is one thing me and you have in common, we both hate parties." I smiled as Greg and Rachel left the room. I laid back down and thought about Chris' lasts word to me, why do I hunt vampires? The truth was as mush as I accepted what I was I still hated them. If they did exist I could have lived a normal life. It made me think about how many lives vampires have shattered over the years. I guess I was the reason why I hunted vampires. Being a Dunpeal is a sad existence. You constantly want what you can't have, the things most people take for gannet. I did want anyone to go through the things I went through as I child. So that's why I kill them, to stop the killing.