Vampire Hunter D Fan Fiction ❯ Vampire Hunters ❯ A Hunter ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

[Konnichiwa minna! KK here again! I have dedicated the next few weeks (or months depending on how long it takes) to finish up all the stories I have not finished. I love Vampire Hunter D and I have the new movie Bloodlust. So I figured this would be the first story I would finish. Cause I actually know where this one is going. The new character, Vahleryie (notice adjustment of name) is still this same, don't worry about it. ^_~ I've just edited a lot and made it more in depth, considering the new D movie. ^_^ I hope you like my story on D and Vahleryie and the gore as well of course. Sure the guys will get a kick out of it. I really enjoyed writing the story and I hope all of you will enjoy reading it. (And this is just for those rare people who may have by chance read a certain book entitled Sunlight/Moonlight by the author Amanda Ashley. In the book Moonlight you meet two wonderful characters that are mentioned in my story. Enjoy the cameo!) Have fun! ^_^]

Vampire Hunters

13759 AD

The world is covered in darkness.

Mutants, beasts and demons run wild, untamed and free.

Humans live in constant fear-

For their rulers are the Vampires.

The world is full of death.

Yet there are those who can end it all, those who have the power.

They are the Vampire Hunters.

Yet, there is one whose fate has yet to be decided.

Will this hunter join with another and destroy the Evil Ones?

Or will the soul of the hunter be forfeit into the darkness?

Their fate lies in their hands-

And so does the fate of the future.

Part I: A Hunter

She ran through the darkness of the woods and the knee-high grass, running through the cutting branches that clung to her and the spider webs that hindered her flight. Her breath coming in as gasps of terror as her legs strained in her effort to escape. Her eyes were wide with fear and with trying to see in the darkness. The only thought that echoed in her mind was to somehow make it to safety.

Her legs were screaming with the effort; her heart was pounding furiously in her chest, raging with adrenaline. Fear clawed at her back. Her legs were going to give out. Without realizing it, she had begun to slow. She could feel the monster's hot breath on her neck as it gained on her and she knew she would not be able to run any further…

Her eyes became glazed and her breaths were desperate heaves, trying to draw in air. She could no longer see. She tripped over a root and crashed into a huge tree, her exhausted body collapsing. She whimpered in defeat as she fell onto her knees. She turned in place with barely enough strength to take in a breath. She looked up and her eyes widened in terror as she saw the beast that had been chasing her crawl before her, its jaws hanging wide as saliva dripped from the sharp teeth. The woman could not control her trembling. She would prefer to being eaten by the thing before her than to suffer through what it had been sent after her to do. It had been sent to collect her for its master.

She was paralyzed in fear. The thing before her had killed her family…and now it was there to collect her for the vampire that controlled its mind. Tears slid down her cheeks as the stench of the hot breath blew into her face and the saliva dripped down on her. Its furry, clawed hand grabbed onto her leg, but she did not struggle. She had no strength and nothing left to live for. Fighting would only prolong her torture…

Suddenly the woman was splashed with thick liquid. Her eyes shot open as she heard a deafening scream above her and then abrupt silence. Not even the sound of the thing's harsh breathing could be heard. She turned to look up and gasped. The thing was above her, the eyes bulging out in surprise, its hanging jaw dripping with saliva and blood. It was its blood that had spurted onto her. Her eyes widened and she stifled a scream.

Through the monster's head was a silver blade that shone in the moonlight, the bright red blood still glistening on it.

Her heart pounded in fear as the blade slipped back out of the dead beast's skull and it collapsed before he. She gazed at the dead body before her stunned and saw the beast's blood on herself. She began to tremble and hesitantly looked up to see her rescuer.

Standing in the light of the moon above her was a woman.

The auburn hair-the color of the sunset-billowed about her with the howling wind; her eyes were a haunting crystal blue. The cloak waved in the wind as the two women gazed at each other. One silent and still, blood dripping on the earth from the blade in her hand and the other still shaking with the aftershocks of terror. The woman with the sunset hair bent down to the young woman before her as she placed the sword back into its scabbard. She lifted a gloved hand and pointed east. The woman sitting on the floor could only blink in confusion.

"Go."

She was startled at the voice that came from the woman who had saved her life. But the crystal blue was demanding and her gaze locked with the hunter's.

"Go to the castle east of here. There is a small town protected by the Count Navarre and the Countess Adrianna. Go there. You will be safe."

The woman shook her head furiously. She finally regained a whisper of voice.

"You saved me…but you'll send me to more vampires? How could that village be safe?!"

The red-haired woman closed her eyes and then opened them again, sending a silent message into the woman before her. "Would you prefer that more of the Barbaroi hunted you? They will not dare attack that village. I am Vahleryie. Tell them my name and you will be protected."

She didn't understand. All common sense told her that to go to another village where vampires ruled was insanity. But if this hunter said it was safe to go… The woman slowly stood up. She would trust the strange vampire hunter. She would be protected.

A horse appeared out of the depths of the forest and the red-haired woman set the other onto the horse. After she was settled she approached the horse's ear and whispered, "Take her."

The horse neighed with eagerness to obey the command given by his mistress. He galloped into the dark night and the woman with the blood red hair turned back, facing the castle the loomed over the tall trees. Her prey lurked within those walls, awaiting the arrival of a young human woman. She lifted the hook of the cloak over her head, covering her masses of hair and leaped into the trees, following the scent of her prey.

She was a Vampire Hunter.

* * *

The people at the tavern stared at the person sitting by the bar. They had tried to ignore the person at first, but his or her silence had spread to the rest of the room. No one said a thing nor moved. No one dared. The person wore a huge black cloak and hood that covered his or her entire body, so no one could see whether it was a man or a woman. A long blade was strapped to the person's back. But everyone in town had seen someone like that at least at one time in their lives. It was not that which made them anxious. It was that whoever the cloaked person was, he or she had not moved since sitting there. Not a movement at all. The person had not even made a sound or motion toward getting anything to eat or drink. The person just sat there…as still as death.

A woman entered the bar then. Her short blonde hair hung to her shoulders and her golden-brown eyes blazed as brightly as the neon lights that littered the town. A huge bazooka was strapped to her back. She was dressed in dark blue outfit. It was a high-necked, but a diamond shape opening exposed cleavage on the shirt. She also wore tight dark blue pants. The men in the bar smiled in relief, but the woman only looked at the person clothed in the black cloak. Her eyes narrowed and she approached the person in black.

"Who are you? What are you doing in our town?"

Silence.

The woman's green eyes narrowed as she drew a small gun out of the belt she had strapped around her waist. "I'm Sehssta and I'm the head of the Guardian Enforcers, the protectors of this town. I want to know who you are and what you want." She pointed the barrel at the temple of the cloaked person. "And you will answer me!"

The woman got no reaction or sound. Sehssta scowled in answer and pulled the trigger. But the blast hit the wall across her instead, as the cloaked being flipped into the air and landed in the center of the room untouched. Sehssta turned around with a growl shooting once more at the cloaked person, but the bullet was dodged again. The person jumped into the air with easy grace and landed on one of the tables. But it was at that moment that one of the people there recognized the sword strapped on the warrior's back.

"Stop, Sehssta!" the man called out. Sehssta looked toward him, but his gaze was fixed on the outsider in black.

"What is it?" she asked.

The man did not move. Only whispered the words, "It's a Vampire Hunter."

"What?!" Sehssta cried. She turned her gaze to the cloaked person. Her eyes narrowed as she took in everything and then recognized the blade. It was true. "So that's why you could dodge my attacks so easily. Perfect!" Sehssta smirked. "I would like to hire you."

The Hunter was silent, until finally a hand lifted and removed the hood of the cloak, revealing a woman beneath. Her auburn hair hung down her body, wrapped into a thick braid. Her skin was pale and her eyes were a crystal blue. Everyone stared in stunned surprise as they gazed at the beautiful woman.

"I am Vahleryie."

Sehssta blinked in confusion, but shook her head. A female Vampire Hunter? Now that was a little rare. But she had heard of stories of a few female hunters. Sehssta and just never thought she would ever meet one. She met Vahleryie's blue eyes as the hunter stepped down from the table and confronted the woman before her. They stared deeply into each other's eyes, trying to decipher of their personalities. The entire room was silent as the women sized each other up.

Sehssta smiled. Vahleryie only walked past Sehssta to the bar behind her.

"What kind of vampire problems are you dealing with?"

Sehssta grinned and sat down beside Vahleryie. "Great! So you've accepted."

Vahleryie made no motion. "I didn't say that. I'm asking what your situation is with this vampire and then we'll discuss the terms of my payment. After that I'll decide whether to work for you or not."

Sehssta's eyes narrowed but she had no response. After a brief moment of silence, Sehssta sighed. "I suppose so."

She faced forward, her eyes growing distant as she began to relate the situation.

"The vampire's name is Count Moloch. His castle has been empty since before I was born. But five years ago he reappeared here. At first he was not such a big problem. He would attack some women, we'd try to help them; his monsters would roam the town, and we would kill them. But recently this vampire has gone berserk. Six months ago he began killing women and children at random. Drinking them dry and tearing at their necks. His monsters run about more freely, killing and destroying everything in sight, not allowing us to have food and supplies as well as killing us off one by one. More of us have died in the last six months than since he first arrived here five years ago. We don't know what caused this sudden drastic change, but we've got to get rid of him. If not more of us are going to die."

Sehssta paused waiting for Vahleryie's reaction. There was none, so she continued. "In desperation, I set up a band of men and women to fight off his monsters and to attempt to defeat him ourselves. But the only thing we've managed to do is hold the monsters at bay. We haven't been able to even get close to him."

There was silence. Sehssta shook her head, her blonde hair flitting about her face, and was about to speak once more when Vahleryie spoke.

"I'll work for you. We can discuss the terms of payment after the vampire is killed. I have no idea what inspired this nobleman to begin killing at random, but I will assure you that I will discover that before I end his existence."

Everyone in the bar grinned silently at each other and Sehssta let out a sigh of relief. She smiled at Vahleryie and said, "You can stay in the best room of the inn. I'm sure the manager will let you stay there for free, all things considered."

Vahleryie said nothing.

* * *

Count Moloch was pleased. The Vampire Hunter had arrived.

He strode down the great halls of his castle heading toward the enormous stone doors at the end of the hall. When he had heard of the Hunter with the hair of sunset he had known he or she would be the one. He smiled evilly. It was a woman to his extreme pleasure. It would be so much easier that way to get what he desired. He would drink her dry and have her give him the ultimate power with the potency of her blood.

A wind came up behind him and burst the gigantic doors open, the black curtains billowing with the powerful wind. His eyes flashed.

All that he had worked for was coming to fruition.

His eyes glowed as he threw his head back, teeth bared. His eyes flashed red and great wings spread from his back. He grinned evilly, the twisted sneer on his face as terrifying as the long, sharp fangs. His laughter echoed into the night as he flew out of the huge open doors and into the darkness.