Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ A New Life ❯ Chapter 5:War, What Is It Good For? ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5:War, What Is It Good For?

"So this is Gaea." Melody looked out the bedroom window in Iris's chamber. "Wow, I mean wow! This place is so cool!"

"Mel, how did you get here?"

"I wish I knew."she sighed and sat down on the rather large bed which had white silk sheets. "All I remember is sitting in the backyard reading then this pillar of light surrounded me and then I found myself standing in a field surrounded by all these guards." Iris walked over to her friend and embraced her in a hug.

"Oh god, you don't know how happy I am that you're here!"

"Iris, what's wrong? You're crying." Iris broke the hug and dried away her tears with the back of her hand.

"So much has happened Mel. I hate being a princess! I hate it!" she ran her frustrated hands through her hair as she began to pace back and forth.

"Ok, whoa Iris. Just chill out. Take a few deep breaths." Iris stopped her pacing and tried to calm down. "Now, start from the beginning. What happened?"

"Well, my 'wonderful' parents put me in an arranged marriage! Can you believe them!?!" Melody stood up embraced her friend.

"There, there." she cooed as she rubbed Iris' back. "Don't worry, when we see your parents we'll give them a piece of our mind." Iris let out a stifled laugh. "We'll make them pay." Melody said in a playful tone. "So, what else has happened? I'm guessing there's more than just a marriage that has you like this."

"Well, I don't know what happened exactly but all I know is that there is a war going on right now between us and Zaibach." she paused and continued. "Freid is their next target too."

"Freid . . .but isn't this Freid?" Iris nodded sadly. "Shit man, we've gotta get out of here!"

"Whoa, Mel, maybe you need to calm down!" Iris couldn't help but laugh. It seemed like only a second ago they were in opposite positions.

"Hey this is no laughing matter Iris! If this is the next target we have to get our asses out of here and fast!" Melody shouted as Iris tried to control her laughter.

"Mel, Duke Freid will have this all figured out so we'll just have to wait until he tells us the plan." Melody sat down on the bed again frustrated. One thing she hated was waiting. It always made her edgy.

"So, is your brother betrothed to any one?" Melody asked changing the subject.

"I wish. The lucky little fucking bastard got out of it."

"How?"

"Well first of all his bride to be died of a fatal condition about a year ago. She had some sort of a cancer and here there was no cure."

"That's so sad." Iris nodded in agreement and stood by the bay window in her room.

"Sometimes I wonder if the gods are playing games with me." Melody turned around on the bed and looked at Iris confused.

"How so?"

"Well, just everything that's happened in my life! No one would ever be able to compare to what I've been through. Not even Ian can compare. He's had it so easy since we arrived here a year ago. Just because he's a guy he can still pretty much act the same way but not me. I have to be all lady like." she let out a loud sigh and leaned against the window sill. "I just wish things could go back to the way they were."

There was a knock at the door. Before Iris could reply Ian came in with a serious look on his face. "Come on, we have to leave now."

"What? Where are we going?"

"Zaibach troops have been spotted around the boarder so we're heading to the Fortuna Temple." Iris grabbed her brown leather bag and with Melody, left the castle and boarded the levi ship.

As the left the capital, Iris watched sadly as the young prince Chid looked in horror of what was happening down below. His tear stained cheeks and the lack of emotion shown by his father made her want to cry as well. *how can Duke Freid be so emotionless towards his own son?*

The following morning Millerna, Iris, Merle and Melody, along with Prince Chid and Ian, gathered in the centre of the temple for their safety before the battle began. Merle stood by a large stone statue with tear stained cheeks. Try as she might, the tears wouldn't stop. She could stop worrying about Van.

Millerna sat on the steps and rested her head on her hand along with Hitomi. Millerna's thoughts were concentrated on nothing but Allen. It almost made Iris sick at how gaga Millerna was over him. She would admit he wasn't bad looking but he seemed to be too protective for Iris.

Ian stood, leaning against the temple wall playing with the hilt of his sword. Since he hadn't had the chance to master guymelef piloting and also because he was the heir to the thrown, he was forbidden from getting involved in the battle. It hurt his "precious" pride to not have the chance to fight.

Iris sighed sat down with Melody on the steps. She wished it would all end. No more war, no more fighting. Was peace and freedom too much to ask for? It must have been for Iris. She felt so tide down in many ways. She wasn't allowed to leave the Zenadian castle with out a guard, she had to inform her parents of everything she did, she wasn't allowed to leave the room they were in, in the Fortuna temple. However the last one was an exception.

The battle lasted all day and came to an end just before the sunset. Everyone felt relieved when this pointless battle came to an end. Many lives were lost and would not be forgotten. The Duke had lost his life in the fierce battle. So in the end the secret treasure sword of Freid was handed over to Zaibach as a sign of their "friendship".

Iris and the others left the Temple in the air ship Crusade to head to Zenada. It was Ian's suggestion because they weren't so welcomed in Asturia at the moment. Everything was going well as they left the temple until Reeden burst into the bridge of the Crusade.

"Sarge! It's the king!" he shouted. "He come out of the Escaflowne! No sign of life!"

A/N: I know it's a bit short but I kind want to save what happens next for my next update So hoped you enjoyed and please review!