Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ An Escaflowne what if... ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 1

Ring . . . . . Ring . . . . . "Hitomi, it's for you!" A voice calls out.

" Thanks Mom! I'm coming!" Hitomi replies as she shuffles her way down the hallway to where Mrs. Kanzaki stands holding the phone. "Hello? Oh, hi Alex." Hitomi says into the phone while running a careless hand through her dark brown hair, which is cut in a short pixie.

"Hi, Hitomi. You forgot didn't you." Replies Alex on the other end. She narrows her eyes, which happen to be the exact color of the ocean on a bright and sunny day, in suspicion.

"Forget? Of course not!" Answers Hitomi squinting her vivid green eyes in thought, as she tried very hard to remember what she could have possibly forgotten this time. "Um, what did I not forget again?" She finally asks.

"Hitomi!" Alex says in a frustrated tone as she tosses her long straight, golden blond hair over her right shoulder.

"Sorry." Hitomi mutters apologetically. "But seriously, what did I forget Alex?"

"We were supposed to meet today for practice. You do realize the track tournament is in two days don't you?"

"Oops!"

" Thought so. Oh well just get your butt out to the track. I'll be waiting. Bye."

"Bye."

~Half An Hour Later ~

"Hitomi, over here!"

"Oh, coming Alex!" Hitomi yells over to her friend. The two girls have been friends for almost their entire lives. But still manage to be complete opposites at times. Both girls are out going and courageous, but Alex takes it one step farther. Maybe even one step too far. She studies the art of fencing, karate, and gymnastics. Well Hitomi on the other hand is more of the sporty type. She excels in track events like running, and can't stand violence. So much for those karate lessons Alex has been trying to get her to take. But there is one thing the two girls have in common, a necklace. It's of a pinkish color and hangs around there necks by a delicate chain. Hitomi's is gold and Alex's is silver.

"What took you so long Hitomi? I've been waiting for almost an hour!" Says Alex to Hitomi, exaggerating of course. "Oh well. I guess it doesn't matter now that you're here. Have you done your warm ups yet?'

"Oh, yeah I did them before I left home."

"OK, then why don't I time you doing a lap then?"

" Sure."

"OK. Ready . . . set . . . GO!" Hitomi begins to run as fast as she can, when suddenly a figure appears out of nowhere right in her path. Before Hitomi can swerve to avoid him, she crashes right into the stranger.

"Hitomi! Are you all right? What happened?" Shouts Alex in concern as she runs up to her friend quickly.

"Oh . . . . . yeah I'm fine." Hitomi answers, as Alex helps her up off the ground. "Where did he come from?" She asks, point to the stranger who by some strange miracle hadn't also ended up on the ground during their collision. It was if he was a brick wall! She knew she had been going at top speed! Suddenly the stranger spoke up.

"Run! Hurry! It is coming!"

"You heard the man, run Hitomi!" Shouts Alex just as the sky seems to rip in half and a dragon appears to fly through. It comes straight towards the girls. Alex begins to run, while dragging a shocked Hitomi behind her, the dragon still on their tail. They dive to the ground just as the dragon swoops over them.

"But . . . but what about him?" Hitomi asks in a startled voice, then suddenly she screams, "Behind you! Watch out for it's tail!" The stranger manages to leap out of the way, but not before most of his armor is destroyed. He nods in Hitomi's direction in thanks, and delivers his final blow to the dragon's unprotected underside. The beast falls and breathes its last breath. But the young stranger who seems no older then the two girls does not stop there. He begins to dig around in the belly of the beast, until he comes upon a strange pinkish jewel, and it looks surprisingly similar to the one around each of the two girls necks. And as soon as he removes it from the body, the dragon begins to disintegrate leaving no evidence that it had ever been there. Then there is a flash, almost like lightning, and a bright column of light appears around the young stranger. Alex is distracted by this strange occurrence that seems so familiar, and doesn't take notice at first that Hitomi is slowly walking towards the light. She finally notices when it was already to late. Hitomi has walked to close and is pull up into the light against her will. "Help! Somebody, help me! Alex!" Hitomi cries out moments before she and the stranger disappear.

"Wait! Hitomi, stop don't go!" Alex cries out knowing it's to late. "I'll bring you back Hitomi, I promise!" She whispers as she falls to ground in despair. "Where ever you are. Even if I have to go back." Alex has finally remembered why what has just occurred seems so familiar, why it reminds her of something from her far past. She remembers her adventure she tried so long ago to forget. She remembers the land of Gaea.