Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Angel of the Night ❯ The Blood Goddess ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sorry for the LONG wait folks but…I have other stories and…well…I got caught up. I am SO sorry. Please please forgive me.

****

As Hitomi laid Merle on the bed she looked over at Van.

"Can I ask you something?" she asked.

"I don't know can you?" he mocked.

"I'm serious." she said scowling.

Van looked at her face and nodded.

"Why do vampires do this?"

"Well, they were sacrificing to the blood goddess."

"The blood goddess?"

"There's an old legend. Every century, the blood goddess comes form the heavens and blesses everlasting power on the people who sacrificed virgin slayer blood to her."

"So what exactly happens?"

"Well, you slit the child's palm and drink it's blood so you will have it's scent on you. The you slash it's back three times vertically and let all the child's blood seep to the ground as the goddess's sacrifice."

"All of it?"

"Every last drop."

"So if you go all the way through the ritual, the kid dies correct?"

"Yes."

"Then I guess she was lucky huh?" said Hitomi watching Merle's sleeping form.

"Yeah." Van said quietly.

"I'll take first watch." Hitomi said abruptly.

"Alright. Wake me up in an hour."

"Yeah whatever."

Van went to the other room and laid down on the couch. Hitomi however, pulled a chair up to the bed and looked down at the sleeping child. To pass time, she grabbed the end of her braid and started untying her brown hair.

Two hours later, Van woke up from his slumber. He quietly walked into the bedroom. Merle was still sleeping and Hitomi was fiddling with her hair.

A sly grin appeared on his face. He tip toed until he was right behind Hitomi. He was about to scare her when she spoke.

"Nice try Fanel." she said casually.

Van put his hands down and kicked the carpet.

"You been awake all this time?" he asked after his pouting fit.

"Yeah."

"I'll take over then. You need rest."

"Fine." she said yawning.

Hitomi walked to the couch and collapsed, falling asleep immediately.

About three hours later, Van heard a lot of rustling. He dismissed the sounds until her heard a whimper of pain.

Curiously, he got up out of the chair he was occupying and followed the noise to the living room. Hitomi was tossing and turning in her sleep. She begun to mumble and whimper.

She suddenly jolted up sweating and panting. Van suppressed his aura and hid out of sight, yet kept her insight. The rich, tempting scent of blood was in the air for some odd reason. He thought that maybe the girl, Merle's, wounds had opened up, but he wasn't positive. The living room light flashed on. Hitomi in front of an old Victorian mirror in the living room, cursing. She lifted the back of her shirt and peered over her shoulder to look in the mirror.

There were three vertical wounds on her back, all of which were bleeding at the moment.

Van unsuccessfully tried to stifle a gasp.

Why hadn't he seen it before? The gashes on her hands, the way she reacted when she was watching poor Merle. Hitomi had almost been a victim of the ritual.

Hitomi pulled her shirt back down when she heard the gasp/

"Van." she spat. "Come out. I know you're there."

Van emerged form the shadows.

"What are you doing here? You're suppose to be watching Merle." she spat.

"I…smelled blood." he said softly.

"Well, don't worry about it." she snapped. "I just cut myself is all."

"Don't lie to me!" he shouted.

"Just leave me alone! It's none of your business anyway."

Van pinned Hitomi against the wall.

"Since you and I are partners it is my business." he said glaring at her.

Hitomi pushed him.

"As soon as this is over, we won't be partners anymore, therefore, it isn't any of her concern."

"Hitomi!" they heard a weak voice shout.

"Coming Merle."

With one glance at Van, Hitomi left the room and went to Merle's bedside.

"What do you need?" Hitomi asked softly.

"I had a bad dream."

"About the vampire?"

"Yeah."

"You'll get those for a while."

"Why was he able to do that to me? Am I really that weak?"

"No. Don't you even think that."

Van stood by the doorway listening.

"Why shouldn't I think that?"

"Because you're just a little girl. He was a semi experienced vampire. There was no way you could match up to him. No girl your age could."

"But if I was stronger, I could have saved Mommy and Daddy. It's all my fault they're dead."

"No! Don't say that. It's only one person's fault and he's dead."

"No it's not! Just leave me alone! You don't know how I feel!"

Hitomi frowned.

"A word to the wise Merle, don't assume things about people you don't know."

"What?"

"I know exactly how you are feeling."

"How?"

"The same thing happened to me."

"Really?" asked Merle.

"Yeah. About ten years ago."

"Did someone save you as well?"

"Yes."

"Who?"

"My mother."

********

^_^ Night of the Raven