Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Ashes and Remembrance ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

FOUR

Folken sat hunched over his work table in the laboratory. Trying to concentrate on his work, he glanced down at the book in front of him and then picked up a jar containing a green liquid. What is wrong with me today? I just can't seem to concentrate on anything. Looking up, he glanced at the other two students in the room. Well, at least I'm not the only one staying late. Stealing a quick look at the head table, he saw Master Lacroix making notes on a sheaf of papers. I better get back to work before I get another lecture on my lack of effort and concentration. Folken winced as he recalled the public admonishment that he had received that morning in front of the entire class.

Picking up an empty glass tube, he carefully poured in some of the green liquid. Looking down at the book one more time, he then poured the contents of the tube into another jar. As the green liquid mixed with the contents of the jar, a faint hiss could be heard; and slowly the mixture began to foam. Yes, I think I've got it this time. Carefully, Folken placed the container into a large bucket of water. Counting to twenty, he then removed the jar with a pair of wooden tongs. Well, here goes nothing. Turning the jar over onto the tabletop, he shook it gently. Lifting the glass slowly, he marveled at the crystal underneath. Yes! Picking up the hardened piece of crystal in his hand, he held it up to the light.

"Well Folken, I guess the third time is the charm as they say." Master Lacroix remarked as he walked towards the work table. "If you had put this much effort into your work this morning, you wouldn't be here now." Folken handed the man the crystal. "Not bad - a little cloudy, but not bad at all." Lacroix gave the crystal back to the younger man.

"I expect more effort from you Lacour - Emperor Dornkirk expects more effort from you. You should show him the proper respect by doing your absolute best." Folken could feel the heat rise in his face at Lacroix's words. "The science of sorcery requires the utmost dedication - there is no room for distraction. You must be disciplined and committed." He gave Folken a pointed look, "You understand what I'm talking about, don't you?"

The young apprentice nodded his head, "Yes Master, I do. I will redouble my efforts and concentrate harder. I'll try to do my absolute best."

"Yes . . . well, see that you do. I will have to mention this in my weekly report to the emperor, of course. I'm sure that he will not be pleased. Let us hope that next week's report will make him happier, eh?"

"Yes sir, I will try my best."

Lacroix waved a dismissive hand at Folken, "Well, get going then. Tomorrow will not be an easy day. If I were you, I'd read the next three chapters on alchemy." The older man started to turn away, "Be sure to clean up your work table before you." With that he walked away to where the other two students were working to check on their progress.

"Yes sir, thank you." Folken gathered the used jars and tubes together, washed them out and then put them back into the cabinet on the wall. After a final check of his work area, he picked up the crystal and slipped it into one of pockets of his robe. He quickly gathered up his books and notes and quietly left the lab.

Dornkirk. Just thinking about seeing the man face-to-face sent a shiver down Folken's spine. He knew that he owed his life to the Zaibach emperor, but he feared him as well. Although he had been in Zaibach for almost two years, he could count on both his hands the number of times that he had been before the emperor. Each time, Dornkirk had spoken of him about his plans to change the destiny of Gaea and how Folken was to be instrumental in what was to come. I don't understand everything that he speaks of; but I can understand peace. Peace forever - I don't think I can imagine it . . . but wouldn't it be wonderful?

Lost in his thoughts, Folken was surprised to find that he had reached the door to his quarters. Opening the door, he stepped inside. He had long since grown accustomed to the sparse accommodations, although he did have three rooms to himself. The front room was the largest and contained the most furniture: a work table and chair, a bookcase, two wingback chairs, a small table, a sideboard and a large wardrobe that took up most of one wall. The other two rooms were a small bedroom and a washroom. Folken knew that he was lucky to have so much. He knew there were other students that were paired up in single rooms that were only half the size of his front room. Another gift from the emperor.

Putting his books and papers down on the work table, he sighed with weariness. As they had so often in the past week, his thoughts began to turn towards Jindra Roh. Sitting down in one of the old, but still comfortable chairs, Folken let his mind go back to the night of Coren's going away party.

--------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------

The two of them had walked out along the garden path until they came to the little gazebo that Jindra had promised earlier. The torches had not been set out that far along the path, but there was plenty of light from the two moons shining brightly in the sky above. Stopping at the entrance to the small building, Folken had taken Jindra in his arms and kissed her. It was a real, full kiss on the lips and he felt himself shiver from the power of it. He had no doubts that Jindra had felt it also. She had raised her arms and wound them around his neck in an effort to pull him closer. When the two finally broke apart, they were both breathless. Looking at each other, they both blushed and smiled.

"I don't know about you, but I really need to sit down." Jindra had said as she took his hand and pulled him towards one of the benches lining the gazebo.

They had sat together for at least an hour or more, Folken's arm around Jindra as she rested her head on his shoulder. They had gazed up at the stars and talked of little things, most of which Folken could not even recall; so caught up in his emotions as he was at the time. He did remember pointing out some of the different stars and constellations in the sky and telling Jindra their names. They also talked about the legends that were told of the Mystic Moon and the people that were said to dwell there. Folken didn't believe in such tales, but he found Jindra to be more open-minded.

"How do you know that there aren't? We're here - couldn't there be someone else on another world? Just because you haven't actually seen something doesn't mean that it doesn't exist." Folken had merely smiled at her and shaken his head.

"C'mon Folken, you're supposed to be a scientist. How can you be so close-minded?" Jindra had asked him. "I've never seen a dragon, but I believe they exist."

"Dragons . . .?"

"Yes, everyone says they're just legends, but I believe in them."

"What do you know about dragons?" Folken had tried to keep the worry out of his voice.

"Nothing - but I've read about them - and seen pictures in books; but it was mother who made me believe in them."

"Your mother?" He had inquired.

"Yes, she told me that she heard a dragon roar once and that it was the most horrible sound she ever heard in her whole life."

"Where was she?"

"In . . . oh, what's the name of that country? Fa-Fa- something . . . let me think . . . Fanelia - yes that's it, Fanelia. It was when she was still a girl. My grandfather would take her on short trade trips with him and they had gone to Fanelia. She said that she was out on the deck of the ship when she heard it. I remember she said that she had never been so frightened in her entire life. One of the crewmen told her it was a dragon. Of course she didn't believe him, until my grandfather called and made her go inside. He told her that it was a dragon roar, he had heard them before - he even claimed to have seen one once, from a distance. He made her stay below deck until they landed in Fanelia - he said it was too dangerous to be out on deck if dragons were about.

My mother even showed me a small coin purse that she said was made out of dragon hide. It was so beautiful - I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. It glistened and shimmered in the sunlight and it felt so cool and silky under my fingers. Like I said, I believe my mother and I believe in dragons."

"Well your mother was right, dragons are real, very real - and they are beautiful . . . beautiful and dangerous."

"How would you know?" She had scoffed at him.

"Trust me, I know." There had been such intensity in his eyes that Jindra had not pursued the matter any further.

Soon after they had left the gazebo and, holding hands, walked towards the gate that led out to the lane behind Jindra's house. At the gate they had held each other made plans to meet in the park in a few days. They had kissed again, that time even more deeply. Taking a chance, Folken had slid his tongue along her bottom lip and was surprised when Jindra opened herself up to him. Gods, how he never wanted that kiss to end; but eventually they pulled apart and once again just held each other.

"Jin, I really need to go. I don't want to leave you, but I've been gone too long." He had said softly.

"I know . . . I don't want you to go either. I wish we could stay just like this and watch the sun rise together." Jindra had replied as she looked up into his eyes.

Folken had smiled at her, "You're just making it harder for me to leave."

"That's the idea. But I don't want you to get into trouble, so I guess I'll have to let you go . . . for now." Jindra had said, returning his smile with one of her own.

He gave her a small parting kiss on the forehead before opening the gate and starting out towards the street.

--------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

Sitting in his quarters, Folken imagined that he could still feel the warmth of her body as it had pressed against him and the soft touch of her lips on his and he smiled as sleep slowly claimed him.