Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Ashes and Remembrance ❯ Chapter Twenty-Three ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

TWENTY-THREE

Folken and Jindra brought their horses to a stop about a mile or so away from the city. It was early evening and the sun was just setting -- it would be fully dark by the time they reached the gate. Waiting until nightfall had been Jindra's idea; she thought that it might be easier for Folken to slip back into the tower under the cover of darkness. Folken didn't think that it would make much difference, but he went along with her anyway. They're probably watching all the gates anyway; they'll know the minute I set foot inside the city.

Jindra dismounted and looked out towards the city lights. In all the times that she had traveled outside Zaibach, she had never seen the city lit up at night from a distance. Reaching for her canteen, she took a swallow as she gazed at her birthplace. It's so ugly - I always thought so . . . but to see it like this . . .

Thrusting up from the very heart of the city, like a deadly black dagger was the sorcerer's tower - the seat of power in the Zaibach Empire; and Jindra felt a chill run down her spine as she looked at that cold dark building. How can I let him go back there? Wrenching her eyes away, she looped the canteen strap back over the pommel of her saddle.

She jumped a little when Folken came up behind her and slipped his arms around her waist. "Are you alright, Jin? You were shivering." Jindra leaned back against him, "I just felt a chill, that's all." Folken kissed her hair and looked out towards the city, "It's not too late, we can still turn around."

Twisting in his embrace, she turned to face him. "I know; but as much as my heart says to do it, my head is there to remind me that we have no food, very little money and just the filthy clothes on our backs. Unfortunately, I think my head is going to win this time."

Jindra let her head rest on Folken's chest and he tightened his arms around her. "I know what you mean; but this way, we'll have time to make a proper plan and get everything together. If we have to leave, at least we'll know where we're going and how we're going to get there." He kissed the top of her head, "I don't want to be separated from you for a second, but I know that it's the only way right now."

"What do you think will happen when you get back? What will they do to you?" Jindra's voice was soft as she spoke, but he could hear the concern in her words.

"I-I don't know . . . I'll probably be brought to Dornkirk." He hesitated a bit, "It - it might be best if we don't enter the city together." Jindra raised her head and looked at him. "Why? Do you think they're watching the gates for you?"

"I'd be surprised if they weren't. I don't want to put you in any danger, so you should probably go in before me - alone." Jindra's eyes widened in fear, "They wouldn't hurt you, would they? I swear Folken, if you thing that's what will happen, then . . ."

He didn't let her finish, "No - no; don't worry, no one is going to hurt me." Folken looked over her shoulder, towards the city in the distance. "Dornkirk wants something from me, so he isn't likely to jeopardize that by physically hurting me." He brought his eyes back to Jindra's anxious face, "I'll be alright - I promise." Folken gave her a quick kiss on the forehead, but he could tell that she wasn't convinced. Well, that makes two of us.

"What about you? I bet your mother is fit to be tied right about now."

Jindra let out a very unladylike snort and rolled her eyes. "That's the understatement of the day. I'll be lucky if I'm allowed within fifty feet of the stables, let alone a horse for the next two or three months. It'll be like that time I ran away from home; although I'm a little old to get my bottom switched this time."

Folken laughed, "You ran away -- when?"

"I was very young at the time," Jindra pulled away from him. "I don't really remember."

"C'mon Jin, tell me about it. No secrets, remember?"

She glared at him, "It's not a secret . . . it's - it's just something that I did that was very stupid and if I would have stopped to think about it at the time, it was very dangerous too."

Folken could see from Jindra's expression that whatever had happened had been serious and he stopped laughing. "What happened? I want to know." He put his hand on her arm and gave her an encouraging smile, "Please, tell me Jindra - trust me."

Jindra turned away from him and looked back at the city. "I was eight years old. Coren had just turned twelve and my parents had arranged to send him away to school. Coren and I had always been together - we were almost inseparable. Even though I was a girl, and I was younger, he never treated me like I was a pest - like most of his friends did to their brothers and sisters. He let me tag along and play whatever game he and his friends were playing, kind of like I was one of the boys. I idolized him for that, and I still do.

When I found out that they were sending him away, it was like my entire world crashed down around me. I cried, I threw temper tantrums and threatened to do all kinds of horrible things if he was sent away. I told my parents that I hated them and that I didn't want to be their daughter anymore. It's a wonder my father didn't beat me himself then. But to make it all even worse, Coren wanted to go. I couldn't believe it - I couldn't believe that he wanted to leave me behind! I think that's what hurt the most - so I ran away. I took some food and one of my father's horses and left the city. I thought I was so smart and I didn't need anyone --- and they would all be sorry when they found out I was gone."

She paused for a few moments, as she wrapped her arms around herself. "The only other place besides Palas that I had been to outside the city was the lodge." She turned her head and glanced at him, "The same lodge where you and I spent last night." Turning back, she focused on the city again. "So that's where I headed. I wasn't completely sure of where it was, but I knew the general direction - so I went west, sure that I would be able to find it. Of course I got hopelessly lost and then it started to get dark; and suddenly I wasn't so smart anymore. I was a scared little eight-year old girl.

I started crying and the horse was having hard time trying to walk on the path in the dark, so I dismounted and walked with it. I don't know how long we wondered around in the woods when I caught my foot. I remember hearing a crack and then I was falling. I think I must have hit my head, because the next thing I knew, it was daylight. I woke up on the ground and my foot was burning with pain. The horse was gone, along with what little food and water I had brought; so I just laid there and cried. I was so certain that I was going to die, all alone - or worse, that some wild animal was going to find me. Months later, I still woke up crying from nightmares."

Folken saw her shiver from the memory, so he stepped towards her and wrapped his arms around her shoulders. Jindra closed her eyes for a few moments, savoring the warm and comfort of his body. Folken remained silent as he waited for her to continue.

"I passed in and out of consciousness, the pain in my foot and leg was unbearable. But I remember hearing a voice call my name and I thought it was a dream. But then I felt someone lift my head and they spoke my name again. It was Coren - he had come across the horse wondering back down the path and he had found me. He had guessed where I had run away to, so he had come after me. I remember he was crying and asking me how I could do something so stupid. The next thing I knew, I woke up at home - in my own bed.

Apparently Coren had brought a couple of the stable hands with him and they made a litter and took me back to the city. I can still remember my father's face when I woke up - I don't think that I ever saw him cry before that day. I told him that I was sorry for running away and begged him to forgive me, but I could see the disappointment on his face. He kissed me on the forehead and told me to rest and get better, but he never did say if he forgave me or not.

My mother, of course, was in a rage; and although she didn't lay me out then, she didn't forget about punishing me for it later. After the cast came off my ankle and I was on the mend, she switched me to within an inch of my life; I swear I couldn't sit down for almost two weeks. I was banned from the stables for three months and I couldn't ride alone for almost six months after that. But in between all that, Coren left for school and I was all alone anyway."

Jindra dropped her arms, "See, I told you it was a stupid story." Folken gave her a squeeze and kissed the top of her head, "No Jin, it's not stupid. You love your brother, and that's the way it should be."

Folken took his arms from her shoulders and let them slide down her arms so that he could grasp her hands. "I was a lot like Coren when it came to Van. Before he came along, I was so tired of being alone - I wanted a brother or sister so much. One of the happiest days of my life was when he was born. I loved spending time with him, even though he was so much younger than me. He used to ask me to read to him, especially on rainy days when we couldn't go outside or at night before bed. He was so bright and curious; he always wanted to know everything about everything. I used to think that his favorite word was, 'why'. Sometimes he would drive me crazy with his constant questions; but then, I'd look into those big eyes of his and I couldn't be angry with him anymore." He fell silent, but Jindra had heard the melancholy tone in his voice.

Breaking his grasp, she turned again to face him. Putting her hands on his chest, she lifted up and face and kissed him. "You miss him, don't you?" Folken barely nodded his head, but she could see the sadness in his eyes. Reaching up, she softly stroked his cheek with her fingertips. "I didn't mean to make you sad, Folken."

He looked down at her, "I'm never sad when I'm with you, Jin. I like talking to you about Van, because I know you understand - you know what it's like, you know how I feel. I wish that you could meet him; I know that he would love you. I just wish . . . I just wish . . . He trailed off, unable to continue.

Jindra put her arms around Folken's waist and rested her head on his chest once more. "It's alright, I know what you mean; and I wish it too."

Folken put his arms around her and the two quietly held one another while the twilight deepened around them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------

Jindra reined her horse to a stop as she reached the front courtyard of her home. Dismounting, she untied the reins of the other horse from her saddle. As she waited for one of the grooms to appear, she took a quick look around and saw her father's carriage parked on the other side of the stable. She knew that it was his, as she could see the seal of office painted on the door in the flickering torchlight. There were also several unfamiliar horses tied to the hitching post. Great, just great . . . I'm really in it now. Although what did you expect you stupid girl? Did you really thing you could just disappear for two days and no one would care?

She had left Folken about half a mile outside the city gate. He had insisted that she take both the horses with her and that he would be fine continuing in on foot. Jindra had not wanted to leave him, but they both agreed that it would best for the time being. The two had kissed deeply and held each other for quite sometime before finally saying goodbye. Jindra hated the thought of Folken returning to the sorcerer's tower because she feared for his safety. Folken had again tried to convince her that he would be alright, but she still didn't believe him. Before they parted, he had promised to get in touch with her as soon as he could; and with one last kiss, Jindra had left him on the side of the road. She couldn't explain why, but she had felt a deep sense of foreboding, and she was till uneasy.

Jindra was startled out of her thoughts by the sudden appearance of the groom at her side. The man gave her a strange, almost sad look as he silently took the reins from her and led the horses away. How strange . . . but I'm sure the whole household knows I was gone by now. Guess they didn't expect me to turn up on my own.

Turning, she looked at the front of the house for a few minutes. Lights blazed in several of the closed windows, yet the whole house seemed oddly silent. Taking a deep breath, Jindra started up the front steps. Reaching the front door, she too another breath to steel herself before turning the handle. Time to face the music -- as they say . . .

As she stepped into the entry hall, Jindra felt a sense of uneasiness about the place. Closing the door as silently as she could, she was tempted to creep upstairs to her room; but the utter quiet of the house unnerved a bit. Standing in the hallway, she thought that she heard the barest hint of voices; but they were so low that she couldn't recognize them. Jindra guessed that her parents were probably in the front parlor or the library; and steeling herself once again, she quietly crept down the hall.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------

She was standing in front of the closed parlor door trying to listen to the voices within, when it was suddenly opened. Her mother's maid was just as startled to find her there and the girl let out a small squeak of surprise. "M-Miss - M-Miss Roh! Oh, Miss Roh - you're back!"

Jindra's parents were seated together on the small loveseat. Erich Roh had one arm around his wife's shoulders, while the other held one of her hands. Doreena was crying and clutched a pale handkerchief in her lap. Jindra met her parent's startled faces as she stepped into the room.

Her father was on his feet in an instant, "Jindra! Gods above and below! Where the hell have you been?" Reaching her, Erich gripped her arms tightly with his hands and Jindra winced a little from the pressure. "Jindra - are you listening to me? Where have you been?" Perhaps sensing his daughter's discomfort, Erich let go of his grip on her arms.

Doreena Roh however, was suddenly at her husband's side and she pushed him away from Jindra. Doreena's hands replaced those of her husband, and she started to shake her daughter as she raged. "Answer your father, Jindra! Where have you been? Why did you leave? How could you just disappear like that? You stupid, stupid girl - we thought you were gone too."

Jindra began to feel panicked, for she had never seen her mother in such a state before. Twisting, she tried to get away. "Mother - don't . . . please . . . you're hurting me. I-I-I'm sorry . . . I-I didn't mean to . . ."

Erich stepped between the two women as he tried to break his wife's grasp. "Reena - stop it - let go! Doreena! Damn it woman, get a hold of yourself - can't you see you're hurting her?"

Wrenching his wife's hands away, he motioned for the maid. "Help Mrs. Roh - quick girl!" Doreena finally dropped her arms and sobbed as the maid led her back to the loveseat. Once Doreena was seated, the girl brought her a glass of brandy and held it, as she took small sips in an effort to calm down.

Turning back towards his daughter, Erich gently put his hands on her shoulders. "Are you alright, Love?" Jindra nodded as her tears fell. Swallowing, she tried to explain. "I-I went riding and . . . I got caught in the s-storm. I-I was too far away . . . I couldn't m-make it back . . . I-I'm - I-I'm s-sorry . . . I . . ."

She broke off as she finally took in her father's pale face and hollow, red-rimmed eyes. Looking at her mother as she sobbed on the loveseat, Jindra suddenly felt very afraid. She knew that her parents would be worried and upset, but she had a feeling of something more being gravely amiss and it frightened her. Looking back at her father, she was about to speak when the parlor door opened and two men entered

Jindra knew one of the men right away and she began to feel slightly confused. Why is Commandant Varada here? The Commandant was the headmaster of the military academy that Coren had graduated from; and although she didn't know the man well, Jindra had been introduced to him several times. The younger man at his side was not familiar to her, but he was dressed in a military uniform; but it was not the standard academy uniform and he looked very official. Jindra looked at the Commandant and she felt her throat go dry at the sad, almost pitying look that he gave her.

Looking back at her father once again, she could only stammer. "F-Father . . . w-what's going on? W-Why is h-he here? F-Father?"

Erich Roh took his daughter's hand as the tears began to course down his face. "J-Jindra - Love . . . there's been . . . there's been an accident. The guymelef . . . Coren . . . he - Coren . . . he's gone . . . oh Jindra - your b-brother . . . he's g-gone." Unable to control his emotions anymore, Jindra's father let go of her and put both of his hands to his face as he sobbed. "H-He's d-d-dead, Jindra . . . C-Coren's dead." Doreena let out a wail as her husband broke down.

Jindra heard her father's last words, but it was almost as if she didn't understand what he had said. Gone - dead? It's not - it can't be . . . She stood like a statue, her limbs frozen in shock. No . . . no - no! Coren! NO! Almost immediately, she found it very hard to breath and there was a tightness in her chest that left her gasping for air. No! It can't be true . . . no . . .

"NO! CORRENNNNN!" Starting to sway, the last thing she remembered was her father yelling her name as he caught her before she hit the floor.