Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Asturia: Love and Duty ❯ ch 17 ( Chapter 17 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

"Hi Dryden. How are you? You look awful."

"Same to you, Eries."

They did make a sorry pair. An ugly, purple bruise marred Eries' left cheek. That side of her face had swelled noticeably and was painful and tender to the touch. Her voice was slightly raspy. Although it was much easier for her to speak now, dark bruises still colored her throat. Because the high stiff collars of most of her royal wardrobe pressed painfully against her neck, she was dressed in less formal attire. Her collarless sepia dress suit was more forgiving to her bruises than her typical dress. She wore her hair down in a poor attempt to cover her facial and neck injuries. She had also dispensed with all but a single petticoat as heavy skirts were burdensome when she walked. Her leg had been strained when the doppleganger had grabbed it to stop her fall and her subsequent trip to get help had aggravated it. She had lost track of the number of times she tripped and stumbled that awful morning before the guardpost had come into view. She limped slightly as she pulled up a chair to Dryden's bedside.

Dryden looked as if he had aged 10 years over the last two days. His face seemed oddly bare, devoid of his characteristic bristles, which had been thoroughly removed by one of the nurses attending the Prince Consort. A number of pillows propped him into a semi sitting position. A bright green silk robe draped about his shoulders , and a down comforter covered his legs, but there was nothing to hide the IV lines feeding into his limbs. The grain that had mired Dryden had acted like a tourniquet , trapping the blood in the lower half of his body for over an hour. By the time help arrived, the blood in his entrapped limbs had been effectively deprived of oxygen. He and Annette had had to be excavated carefully. Blood poisoning was a distinct possibility if too much of that oxyen deprived blood reached their vital organs. Dryden was now most likely out of danger, but the doctors were still close at hand, just in case. In addition, Dryden had sustained some minor nerve and vascular injuries. None of it was permanent; the doctors anticipated a full recovery. But for now, Dryden was bedridden for all intents and purposes.

They were in the royal family's quarters at the palace. Eries had given specific instructions that all of the injured were to be brought there for treatment. This was partially to ensure that they would be treated by the palace physicians and partially because she was concerned for their safety and the royal family's quarters were just about the most secure place in Palas. Eries had dismissed Dryden's attendants upon her entrance, leaving the two of them alone in the first floor guest room that had been serving as Dryden's recovery room. From the room's wide windows, she could see the additional guards that had been posted to patrol the inner courtyard of the residence. At times, Eries felt as if she could not take a step without tripping over a guard. However, the heightened security was necessary. She knew that better than anyone.

[soundtrack 3, track 5,Aoi Hitomi]

"I'm sorry I haven't been by earlier to visit. It's been rather--hectic."

"I can imagine."

"How are you feeling?"

"It's kind of strange. But I'm starting to be able to move my legs a little. I guess I should be grateful for small mercies. "He sighed. "You know, I think you Aston girls are just a jinx to me. Anytime I get close to marrying one of you, something explodes onto me." He laughed mirthlessly, a harsh sound in the near empty room.

He stopped abruptly, his demeanor suddenly serious. "But enough about me. How is 'Nette? Mr. Rat?"

Dryden read the hesitation in Eries' face. "Please," he pleaded. "No one is telling me anything. The only thing they say is not to worry about them, that they're in good hands. But no one is giving me any details. I know that they are here, but I can't get out of bed to see them. Please, I need to know."

According to his attendants, Dryden had been in extremely low spirits. The deaths of his two crew hands weighed heavily on him. The doctors had specifically instructed Eries not to give Dryden any information about Annette and Mr. Rat. They feared that if he knew about their condition, he would become upset, thus slowing his own recovery. But, as Eries looked into Dryden's anxious green eyes, she knew that the torture of not knowing was just as bad as knowing the truth. She nodded.

"Mr. Rat," she began slowly, "it looks like the doppleganger damaged his spine fairly badly--"

"Oh no..."

"He came to yesterday. He wasn't able to feel anything below his neck. He started crying and couldn't stop. They finally gave him a sedative to calm him down, and he's still sleeping it off. The doctors are going to see what they can do for him so that maybe he won't have to spend the rest of his life as a quadriplegic. It's not something Asturians are particularly knowledgeable about, but they say that there's a possibility that Zaibach medicine may be able to help him. But, they're not sure how to get a hold of those resources--"

"Tell them whatever it takes, we will do it," Dryden said determinedly. "Money is not an object. If there's even the slightest possibility, we'll pursue it even if I have to track it down and drag it back myself."

Dryden closed his eyes. When he spoke again, his voice was full of regret. "Poor Mr. Rat. I don't deserve his loyalty. I've made him lose sleep over more than one of my hair brained schemes. But even though he's questioned me, he's never gone against me, and he's always stayed with me. Even that time I tried to throw myself off the Cypress. I would have dragged him off with me, but he didn't let go. And now this... Please let him know, tell him that we're going to do everything we can but no matter what happens, he will be well provided for. "

"Yes, of course," replied Eries softly.

"And 'Nette?"

Eries bit her lip. She had checked on Annette just before going to see Dryden. She was not sure how to break the news to him.

"Eries, please!"

"Annette... is in bad shape," said Eries haltingly. " Her left hand was slashed badly. The doctors doubt that she will be able to regain full use of it. They also suspect that her ribs are bruised from when the two of you collided into the wall. And..."

"What is it? Tell me!"

"Annette hasn't regained consciousness yet. After being trapped there for so long and losing so much blood, she is in a very weak state. And--she's running a high fever. The burns--they got infected."

Dryden closed his eyes with a soft groan. "Oh, 'Nette..." He covered his face with his hands and began to whimper.

"Dryden, don't." Eries leaned over him to put a comforting hand on his shoulder. Dryden tried unsuccessfully to turn away from her. "Don't blame yourself for this. It's not your fault."

"'Nette shouldn't have been there! The only reason why she was there was because I was in such a rush to leave and I needed her help to get out of town."

"There was no way you could have known--"

"I couldn't protect her! If she dies..." Dryden's voice broke, and he began to sob bitterly.

"Dryden..." Eries embraced him where he lay as best she could. He tried to shrug off her efforts to comfort him, but she was insistent and clung to him stubbornly.

She spoke with all the certainty she could muster. "Annette's tough. You know that. She's not--she's not one to go down without a fight. And I have a strong feeling that she's going to pull through. You have to believe that."

"You did the best you could. Annette knows that, I'm sure. No one can fault you for that. You were up against something much bigger than yourself. Even now, we still don't know the extent of the trouble we are in. If you have to blame something, you can blame the kingdom for not knowing sooner, for not realizing that one of the King's top aides was a spy."

"Things could have been much, much worse. But Annette's still alive. So is Mr. Rat. So are you. They're going to need your help and your strength. So am I. When all of this mess unravels itself, I will need you by my side for your counsel and your support." To her relief, Dryden's tears began to subside.

"So please, please, promise me. That you won't blame yourself and let this consume you."

Eries felt the tension in Dryden's body gradually ease. Several moments passed. At length, Dryden broke from her embrace and looked up at her. His green eyes gazed solemnly into Eries' blue ones.

"I promise."

A slightly embarrassed expression passed over his face. "I'm sorry for being such a difficult, selfish jerk."

"It's OK." Eries looked encouragingly at him. "You've had a rough couple of days. And you know, I meant it when I said you did your best to defend Annette. I was impressed."

A pause. "Um, Eries, can I ask you something?"

"Yes?"

"When Allen came running up to us and said that you had sent him, I didn't believe him. But now, it's pretty much an established , although bizarre, fact you were there." He hesitated, searching for the right words to use. " Since when did you start carrying around explosives with you?"

"Oh that." Eries replied, chuckling bemusingly. "You have Millerna to thank for that."

"Millerna?!"

Dryden listened wide-eyed as Eries revealed the secrets of her anesthesia attack.

"Sniper!" he sputtered in amazement. "Were you out of your mind?! Why didn't you just run for help?! You could have blown yourself up! Heck, you could have blown all of us to bits! What were you thinking?!"

"I was thinking," replied Eries earnestly, taking his hands in her own, "that you and Annette are two of the best friends anyone could wish for. And I was going to do whatever it took to save you."

Her words left him speechless. Dryden closed his eyes and shook his head slowly.

"You are out of your mind," he finally managed. "But, thank you." He squeezed her hands and looked gratefully at her.

"Anything for an old friend."

"Eries?"

"Yes?"

"Can I ask you one more question?"

"Of course."

"What in blazes were you doing in my yard in the middle of the night?"

Eries leaned over as if to clandestinely share her secret with him. After a dramatic pause, she whispered in his ear, "You wouldn't believe me even if I told you."

The door suddenly slammed open. "Auntie!!!

Eries turned to see Sid burst through the door and catapult himself into her arms.

"Sid! Ouch, careful right there."

"I'm sorry. I-- OH!!" Sid gasped in alarm at the sight of Eries' abused face. "Auntie , are you OK?" he asked, his voice tremulous with concern.

Eries spoke reassuringly. "Believe me, I've been better, but it's nothing to worry about."

"Duke Sid, you forget yourself. Remember who you are and what you represent," chided Plactu gently from the doorway, where the Freidan delegation, Dryden's guards and attendants, and Eries' bodyguards crowded, looking in.

Sid turned beet red and quickly detached himself from Eries' lap to stand at attention before her. "You'll have to forgive him, Princess. His worry for you has made him forget his manners. He all but lost his head and started charging over here once Sir Allen was able to locate your whereabouts."

"That's quite all right," replied Eries, gazing fondly at Sid. "He is my family, after all."

Eries got up. With a curtsy, she bid the guests enter, formally greeted the Freidans to her country, and thanked them for their haste.

"Dryden, I'm sorry for the way I barged into your room," apologized Sid sheepishly. " How are you feeling?"

"I'll survive. But I think you have more pressing matters that you'll need to attend to with our guest in the dungeon and Plactu over there." He winked at Sid. "We can socialize later."

"Dryden's right. I'll brief you on our status as we go to the questioning room."

"Plactu," asked Sid, looking around, puzzled. "Where's Allen?"

"He left just a minute ago," replied Brother Rei. "He said he needed to speak with the Head of the Royal Guards about something."

.,…,.,.,.,..,.,.

Sir Timothy Wintermute entered the king's chambers with a report in hand. He approached Aston, who was seated in a comfortable overstuffed armchair with his guards and assistants close at hand. The Caeli and current Head of Royal Guards kneeled before his liege.

"Your Majesty."

"Rise."

Sir Timothy was all business, but even he had been unable to completely mask his amazement at seeing the king sitting up and issuing orders with a commanding air instead of lying incapacitated in bed. Everyone had been surprised--the doctors, the attendants, and Grava Aston himself.

When the guards came rushing in breathless with messages about spies, dopplegangers, Minister Jorel, and an attempt on Princess Eries' life, the color had drained from Aston's face. The prospect of losing his last remaining child shook him to his very core. He was so disquieted that his attendants had feared a dangerous turn in his health, much like the one following Millerna's death.

Eries, in many respects, was a stranger to King Aston. When she was in his presence, she was guarded in word and deed. Much of this was his own doing, he realized that. He had neither been interested nor involved in the upbringing of Marlene and Eries. However, it was obvious that Therese had done a stellar job in raising their daughter. Eries comported herself with dignity and performed her duties aptly. She was, in short, a model princess. He could never quite get the words out, but he was proud of her, despite the rift between them. But even that gap had begun to shrink, due entirely to Eries' part. After his last stroke, Aston had resigned himself to becoming increasingly isolated from the world of his colleagues and cronies, and having only doctors and nurses for company and the occasional visit with his remaining daughter bound to take care of him. But, in the last few months, Eries had been spending more time with him. They had actually had a couple of conversations... to lose Eries would not only be a staggering loss for the kingdom, but a heartbreaking loss for a father just beginning to build a relationship with a long alienated child.

Aston had cried out with relief and joy when Princess Eries arrived home obviously hurt and her clothes in shreds, but intact and very much alive. Those emotions were quickly joined by another one: anger. Aston bristled, his wrath kindled against those who had managed to infiltrate themselves into his ranks and endanger his family. Far from disabling the king, the situation had rather energized the king.

Although his physical capabilities were still limited, he did what he could to support Eries in the ensuing investigation, from approving her requests to bring in additional security personnel from the Academy and nearby towns to personally going to quash the protests of Meiden and other members of the council who had been taken into custody and held until Plactu could be brought in to determine the extent of the enemy's activities ("You had better shut your traps already and cooperate unless you want your stay to be a lot longer and a lot more uncomfortable!"). He also insisted that Eries be accompanied at all times by a pair of guards.

Sir Timothy rose and prepared to give his report to the king.

"Just tell me what's going on first and save the details for later."

"Yes, Sire."

[Soundtrack 2, Track 9, Shadow of Doubt]

Clearing his throat, he began. "The prisoner's name is Dinoguan, aligned with the ex-Zaibach military forces that have been sporadically attacking the new Zaibach provinces and its neighbors. He murdered Minister Quenton Jorel when Minister Jorel was en route to Asturia after observing Asturia's aid efforts in Zaibach nearly three years ago. Minister Jorel was purposely targeted as a victim; they wanted to place a spy in a position privy to potential efforts to undermine their forces. Apparently they have contacts in the upper echelons of Egzardia, Basram, Catalina, and Chezario as well. At first, the spy served only to relay information and to redirect Asturia's counter efforts away from his comrades. He then got the idea of furthering their cause by using Princess Millerna."

"Millerna?" Everyone in the room was astonished as Aston was. "Go on," he urged.

" Apparently, the renegade group had two other dopplegangers within their organization, brothers of the prisoner. They felt that the princess would be an ideal target, considering her rank, her habits, and the places where she toured while she acted as Royal Inspector. He made arrangements for one of them to be at Pyrene when Princess Millerna made her visit there. In the meantime, he, in the form of Minister Jorel, was actively involved in seeking and presenting marriage candidates for Princess Eries. It was felt that Princess Eries would be the most likely to detect any inconsistencies in Princess Millerna's character, and that the sooner Princess Eries left Asturia the better. However, the mission failed as that second doppleganger was also killed at the mudslide that took the princess's life."

"Did he have anything to do with causing the mudslide?" King Aston asked.

"That is unknown."

"Proceed." The king was visibly unsettled by the thought of his favorite daughter being stalked by a monster. But he pressed on. He had another daughter and a kingdom that he still needed to protect.

"When that plot failed, they were unwilling to completely scrap their plans and aspirations. They ruled out Princess Eries as a potential victim because they felt that opportunities to attack her would be too few and far in between. When Chief Adviser Meiden Fassa began making overtures to naming Lord Dryden Fassa as consort, the spy supported him. Like Princess Millerna, Lord Dryden Fassa 's travels made him a viable victim. Lord Dryden Fassa's assets alone are substantial. Combined with a position as consort it would be a major gain for the spy's cause."

"The third doppleganger was not available until recently, when the Prince Consort touched down in Palas."

"Two nights ago, the two dopplegangers went to Lord Dryden Fassa's leviship yard with every intention of murdering him and taking his form. They were thwarted in their efforts by a number of coincidences, including the presence of I.M. Rat, Lady Annette Fassa Callen, and Princess Eries."

That baffled the king. Eries had told them she had gone to speak to Dryden on some urgent matter concerning their marriage, but she would not disclose it.

"Princess Eries managed to cause an explosion, disabling one of the dopplegangers, the one currently in custody. The other one went in pursuit of the princess and almost managed to take her life. However, Sir Allen Schezar happened to be in the vicinity, and killed the princess' attacker."

"Hmmmm, Schezar... did that pup say what he was doing out there at that hour of the night?" growled the king.

"He had just arrived in Palas from Fort Castello, Sire. He is here to observe his sister's Remembrance. He said his bird of prey flew off, engaged in a fight with another bird. He followed, and the bird just happened to take him in close enough proximity to hear the princess' cries for help."

The king nodded. He supposed that he should be grateful to the Caeli for saving his daughter's life. But why was it that Schezar's name was always tangled in these bizarre affairs...