Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Children of Power ❯ Life of a Girl ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Children of Power

Chapter One

Life of A Girl

AN: This is one of those really weird fics that hits you at two in the morning. This is just the prologue but it gives you a general idea of everything that's happening from Millerna's P.O.V. She's only like fourteen here and I've made her writing reflect that. Oh yeah, I don't think Millerna is a ditz. Has anyone out there ever studied to become a doctor? It's HARD and surgery takes GUTS! Trust me, I know. Lots of medical school friends. Therefore, the conclusion is Millerna is not a ditz. She's just Allen mad ^-~!

&#&#&#&

Millerna-centric.

Diary of A Princess…aged Fourteen years, two months.

You know what people say about the life of a princess being so extremely shut up and full of strict rules, guidelines and teachers? It's entirely true. You know what they say about rebellious princesses and their cravings for love and affection outside of their nurses, nannies, teachers and neglectful parents? It's entirely true. You know what they say about princesses being locked up like little birds? It's not at all true.

Did you know that one of the easiest possible things for a princess to do is escape from the palace she calls home? Really, it is! I can get out of the palace right now if I'd like and there'd be no one to stop me except Eries and Marlene if she decided to come back from the world of dead and make my life a living hell.

There are many extra corridors and secret passages in old palaces like ours and it's a rule for all princesses to know them thoroughly. Marlene used to use them to sneak off with Allen when I was a little girl. And Eries (the damn hypocrite! Always mouthing off at me about being a good princess) used to use them to sneak into the old deserted gardens for her "intellectual conversations" with the runaway Fanelian Prince, Folken Fanel. I tell you, if you ever walked in on one of those you'd be asking forever what was so "intellectual" about sucking face?

Most of the time I know exactly what the king has in store for me before he ever calls me into his chambers but he'd swallow my act like water, poor old goat. He doesn't know, it's amazing but he doesn't know. None of the princesses are his daughters. Mother was in love with the captain of her guard, he was our father, the King's first cousin. The King never suspected anything but everyone else in the palace knew. Poor Grava.

I wonder why Grava never wondered why his cousin died so shortly after Mother. Our real father was so deeply in love that he could not live without our mother. He killed himself to be with her. I think I would have liked him very much if I had ever gotten the chance to meet him. He sounds very Allen-ish.

It must be a thing in our family, the women that is, to fall in love with the wrong guy.

Marlene, who had always taken the most after mother, fell for Sir Allen Schezar, Heavenly Knight of Caeli. She did almost exactly as Mother had but Allen wasn't forever in close proximity with Marlene and that's what got them found out. I don't know what happened but Marlene was violently sick on the morning of her wedding, Grava was sent for, doctors came and examined her and told the king what they had found. He decided that it would not matter. She was a bit nervous; that was all. Allen was sent to the border the day after she left for Freid. I still have no idea why.

Then I fell in love with him.

Yes, can you believe that, I fell in love with my sister's lover? Did I mention that Allen was younger than Marlene by about four years? He's older than me by about six and he's exactly Eries' age. The one sister he could have had a thing with didn't want him. What a laugh!

Eries, who was the most reticent of us all, had met Folken at about age ten and there had been an instant attraction on her part. He was exactly the kind of guy she was looking for. She had always liked law and politics and here was her dream guy, studying to be a lawyer just like her, and a prince too. Who cared if he was a few years older than her? Marlene was older than Allen. And it was so much more respectable for the man to be older than the woman.

Damn! For being the reserved, supposedly serious and unlucky one, she struck an energist mine!

Then one day she stumbled across him while trying to get away from her horrid embroidery teacher (we all hated that woman and she refused to just die and leave us alone!) in their favourite garden and ever since then, every time he came to visit, you could always find Eries if you looked for Folken. If he wasn't visiting, letters flew like hyperactive birds between the two. Then her tragedy struck.

Eries was sixteen when the news came that a dragon had killed him during his initiation rights…I don't think I ever saw Eries cry so much. She lost every ounce of composure she possessed and broke down as soon as we got to her rooms. Marlene was alive and visiting then (for the last time) and she knew exactly how Eries felt. She comforted, I watched.

Then he came back. Everyday for six months Eries would sit and read for at least two hours in their garden. No one, not even the servants knew how to find it. It was a "princess thing". Then on the day she decided to give up, he came back. She walked out into the garden, I stood at the edge looking in - it wasn't a place for me - and she sighed. She raised her arms up like butterfly wings, threw her head back and let the sun shine on her face. When she lowered her head, she looked around and turned back to face me. She smiled a rueful smile and raised her foot to take a step. Rustling stopped her.

Folken was a Draconian. He was a draconian with the most beautiful white wings. I saw him first and gaped. His feet hit the ground softly and Eries froze. She knew. She didn't have to turn around to tell who was there, she knew. Her face stayed the same but there were so many of her hidden feelings in her eyes. He raised his arm but it wasn't his arm. It was a metallic arm. He placed it on Eries' shoulder carefully; he looked like he was still learning how to use it.

Her eyes were watering. She was crying silently, with such dignity. Nothing like the way she had when the news first arrived. Suddenly, she turned on her heel and threw her arms around his neck. He wrapped both of his around her and they stayed like that for a while, it was as if only the embrace mattered to them then. They began talking quietly in hushed, worried tones and then Eries said something that made him chuckle. It was then that I decided to leave them alone. I heard one thing before I left, spoken by Folken in a serious, firm tone, "I joined Zaibach."

Eries did not show for dinner that night. There was no great banquet or feast however and I made the excuse of her feeling unwell due to "female issues", Grava swallowed it and I said I'd take her dinner myself; to see if she was alright. I took a plate of food to an empty room, went to my own door and locked it saying I was not to be disturbed then headed down a passage that led from mine to Eries' room. I slept in her bed that night and pulled the covers over my head so that I would not be found out. If I stretched a little I was her height. Eries walked in at dawn.

I knew that night that Eries had lost her virginity as her ultimate act of defiance. Folken Fanel owned my sister Eries in mind, body and soul just as Allen had owned Marlene.

No one would own me…ever. I was born to be Queen, born to rule. I was born a Child of Power.

&#&#&#&

AN: It going to get better, I swear. People are going to kill me; I've become obsessed with the weirdest coupling in Esca ever!

Comments, Suggestions, Reviews and Critism are all welcome. Thanks for reading ^-^!

Gg~