Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon's Bait ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Escaflowne belongs to Bandai and all other respective owners. Dragon's Bait belongs to Vivian Vande Velde.

A/N: Wow I really didn't expect that many reviews. I feel so privileged. I'd really like to thank Illicit Water Dragon for the encouraging email. I hope I don't disappoint. I'd also like to apologize to in advance to Kota Magic there are only 1055 words in the story. I promise all other chapters will be longer. Today's the Autumn Equinox so I really wanted to post this part!!

"You're suppose to scream." an amused masculine voice cut through Hitomi's agonizing thoughts.

Hitomi dared to open her right eye and nervously peeked at the midnight sky. Startled she blinked and let out a small gasp. The dragon was gone. She stared wondering at the pale moon and wondered where it had gone. She heard a small chuckle. "I'm down here."

Hitomi turned her gaze from the sky and was startled to see a young man standing barely two feet away. He had unruly raven black hair and deep brown eyes. He had on dark tan pants and was tying the strings on his shirt. "Where's the dragon?" she asked, an edge of confusion in her voice.

The young man looked up and grinned, "Around I suppose."

"Oh," Hitomi said as she breathed a sigh of relief. "Do you think you could untie me?"

The man looked at her startled as if the thought hadn't even crossed his mind. He moved towards her, "I suppose I could." He laughed to himself as he quickly untied her.

Hitomi felt the resistance on her wrists give away. Her feet were numb and her legs felt like jelly. She started to fall forward but strong masculine arms wrapped around her waist, catching her before she fell.

"Thank you ahh............." her voice trailed off.

"Van. My name is Van."

"Van? Do you have a last name?"

There was an uncomfortable silence. "Just Van."

A few minutes passed and Hitomi felt a small blush creep to her cheeks. "Ahh Van, I think I can stand on my own now."

A soft chortle escaped his lips as he gently let her go. Hitomi took a few tentative steps. Pain shoot up her leg but Hitomi tried to ignore it taking a few more steps trying to work the pain out. She gazed back at Van. His hair had fallen over his eyes and he had a amused expression on his face. She turned around "What is so funny?" she asked. He shrugged and chuckled silently. "Well," she said aggravation creeping into her voice. "Thank-you very much for the rescue Van but I think I will return to the village before the dragon returns."

Van casually brushed the hair from his eyes. "I wouldn't go back if I were you."

Hitomi stared at him. "Why not."

He looked at her again and his lips turned up in amusement. "Well they just sentenced you to death by leaving you to the dragon. Do you think they'll be impressed to see you waltzing back into the village without having appeased the dragon. No I don't believe they'll be impressed at all."

Hitomi looked at him. "But they're the only people I've ever know and....and my best friend lives there." she said, desperation in her voice.

"Well whatever," Van said. "But I really don't think the sound of hooves I hear are a welcoming party."

Hitomi looked at his as if he was mad. The air was deathly quiet and the highlands were still. Then she heard it, the low rumbling of advancing horses. She looked towards the village and saw about a dozen flaming torches heading her way. She turned to Van. "Maybe they've realized there mistake and come to set me free." Hitomi said unconvincingly.

"Maybe." Van said letting out another irritating chuckle.

The horses came steadily closer and Hitomi saw a glint of steel in the torch light. She looked at Van, "Perhaps they don't have good intentions. What do you suggest we do?"

Van looked at her. Hitomi could see he was struggling not to laugh but she could see the amusement in her eyes. She glared at him. "Well," he drawled. "I suggest you run."

Hitomi looked at him and then back at the approaching horses. Without a second thought she started running in the opposite direction. She looked back and was startled to see Van standing and laughing in her direction.

The thundering hooves pounded in Hitomi's ears. The ground rumbled as the horses came alarmingly closer. Hitomi felt a hot mist on the back of her neck and turned to see one of the villagers on astride a midnight black horse beside her. She saw him raise his sword and bring it down towards her. A flash of silver whirled in front of her vision and the sound of steel on steel echoed through the air. Hitomi turned and found that Van had materialized beside her and was in a death lock with the other villager. He pushed up sending the villager off balance. He fell to the ground with a thud and Van was atop the horse with lightning fast speed taking Hitomi with him.

The wind whistled through Hitomi's hair as she tried to figure out how she had managed to escape death once again. Her musing was short-lived however as thundering hooves came along Hitomi and Van. "Here hold the reigns." Van said thrusting them into her hands and jumping on the horse next to them. Hitomi watched as Van struggled with the rider for a few seconds and then threw him off the horse. "Yah." Van shouted digging his heels into the horses flanks and flicking the reigns.

Hitomi and Van's horses picked up speed as they raced across the landscape. The voices of the other villagers gradually faded away and were replaced by the rhythmic sound of the horse's hooves.

The horses were breathing hard and starting to foaming at the mouth as the first rays of dawn peeked over the horizon. Van urged Hitomi to stop and with one fearful glance in the direction they had come Hitomi reluctantly pulled on the reigns. They had stopped at the edge of a steep cliff overlooking the sea.

Wonderingly Hitomi gazed at the sparklingly expansion of blue that stretched as far as the eye can see. "It's beautiful." she gasped smiling at Van.

Van laughed again at Hitomi. "Haven't you ever seen the sea before?" he asked.

Hitomi shook her head no. "I've never been out of the mountains." she said walking closer to the edge.

"Watch out for loose rocks." Van warned.

Hitomi turned to ask him how far the sea expanded when her foot slipped. A small scream escaped her lips as she fell towards the icy depths of the water below.

A/N: So that's it. Once again feel free to email me at ladyequinox@hotmail.com. If you want to see this story come out faster you could email me daily urging me on, or, even better you could add me to your MSN and evertime I log on you could say "YOU SHOULDN'T BE HERE YOU SHOULD BE WORKING ON DRAGON'S BAIT!" or something to that extnet. Once again if you see any mistakes please email me and I'll fix those as fast as I can. Please be kind and leave a review.

~Nox