Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon's Bait ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Escaflowne belongs to Bandai and all other respective owners. Dragon's Bait belongs to Vivian Vande Velde.

A/N: I was reading my emails and started to feel incredibly guilty for no getting this out sooner. To answer Lady Raven's question yes I suppose this is based on Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde. Well I mean to say originally it was. I was going to mention it at the end of the story because I thought it might give away the turn of events but in the end I veered away from the novel so much the only thing the story retained was the title. Thank you also to Illicit Water Dragon for pointing out that mistake. If at anytime you notice something that is not correct please email and tell me so that I can fix it. I won't take offense I'll just be glad someone took the time to make me aware of my mistake.

The air whistled around Hitomi as she gained speed on her descend. The frigid water swirled around her as she made contact with the water and sank to the depths below. Hitomi's lungs burned and she tried to fight down her fear as she struggled upwards. Hitomi could see the glint of moonlight on the waters surface and gave one more desperate kick before she blacked out from lack of oxygen and exhaustion.

Sunlight bathed Hitomi. She murmured and turned in the bed pulling the sheets over her head. It took her a moment in her hazy exhaustion to realize something was wrong, fundamentally wrong. For a few seconds she couldn't place it and then she grasped it-sheets, bed. The last thing Hitomi could remember was the cold depths of the sea as the dark murky waters closed around her. She shivered in the warm afternoon sunlight and slid deeper into the covers. She had almost died, should have died and yet here she was. Where ever here was.

Tentatively Hitomi slid out of bed. Her shoulder strongly objected and her feet felt like rubber. It took Hitomi a few moments to regain her balance and she grasped the frame of the bed. Her cheeks flushed slightly when she realized she was no longer wearing the sacrificial white gown but black silk pajamas a size to large. I wonder how that happened she thought to herself. Instinctively her hand went to her neck. Hitomi let out the breathe she was holding as her hand tightened around the reassuring presence of her pendant.

Hitomi made her way to the window and gasped. Sparkling blue water stretched as far as the eye could see. An island? she thought to herself. She drew back from the window and surveyed the room around her. It was extravagantly decorated. In the center stood a tall canopy bed made of elegant mahogany wood. Near the bed stood an elegant mahogany vanity. The mirror was framed with wonderful carvings of roses and thorns. On the chair next to the vanity a white shirt and black pants were neatly folded. Hitomi dressed in the clothes provided and surveyed herself in the mirror. She thought she looked rather well considering she had fallen of a cliff hours earlier. Or was it days she thought to herself wondering how long she had slept.

Hitomi stared at the door in her room for a long time. She knew she should go out and inquire where she was but her room felt very safe. Nervously she played with the gem around her neck and then making her decision she placed her hand on the door handle half expecting, half hoping, to meet resistance. The door open soundlessly before her. Very slowly she stepped out of her room, her bare feet making no sound on the cold marble floor. Hitomi looked left and right the hallway stretching out in two directions. "Hello," she called quietly and then louder. "Hello." Her voice echoed down the corridor. She closed her eyes and placing her fingers on her pink pendant and focused on the area around her. She stretched out but couldn't feel a human presence, yet there was something mystical at the edge of her mind. Gathering courage she opened her eyes and walked towards the unknown.

A few minutes later Hitomi found herself in a room with tall mahogany doors and a vaulted ceiling. Hitomi stared in wonder at the ceiling. A rich mural of colour told the Gaian creation story in immaculate detail. The painting glided down from the ceiling onto the walls and bled into the mosaic floor. Hitomi was amazed. She sat down on the floor and traced the war of the gods with her finger. So much history she thought I wonder why it is hidden on an island. Who looks after this castle? I have seen no one around and yet the palace is immaculately clean so someone must take care of it.

After hours of immersing herself in the art and past Hitomi stood at the mahogany doors. Once again she sensed the mysterious presence. She placed her hand on the brass handle and pulled. Sunlight blinded Hitomi and she raised a hand to shield her eyes. She blinked a couple off times adjusting to the light and raised here eyes only to find herself meeting the gaze of a land dragon.

Hitomi's heart froze and she tried to fight back her urge to scream. She could feel the hot breath of the dragon on her face and the smell of rotting flesh in her nostrils. Slowly Hitomi edged back to the doors. Placing her hand behind her back she feverishly searched for the doorknob her eyes never leaving the dragon. Her sweaty palm grasped the cool brass handle just as the dragon stepped towards her. It was then that Hitomi collapsed and fell into vision.

It was dark and cold where Hitomi was. She heard the faint sound of steel on steel and turned towards the noise. She saw two foes locked in deadly combat. Hitomi shivered when she saw familiar silver hair and maniac red eyes. She heard evil laughter as the slayer lifted his sword and ran it through the mysterious opponent. The man in red reached down and pulled a glowing pink crystal from the fallen man. Hitomi's vision shifted and Hitomi found herself on a barren plain. Hitomi lifted her gaze heaven wards and watched as pure white feathers floated gently down. Soon thought the feather became stained with crimson and the white feathers turned a rusty brown. Upon reaching the ground the blood soaked feathers became murky green dragon scales. A cool wind blew and the scales disintegrated turning to dust and swirled around Hitomi.

Once again the world slanted and Hitomi found herself in an unfamiliar place, yet one she instantly recognized as Fanelia. Hitomi's pendant burned hot on her throat as the roads turned to rivers of blood. Hitomi closed her eyes against the vision and her ears against the screams of the dying people.

When Hitomi awoke from her vision the dragon gazed down at her, hunger in his eyes.

A/N: As always feel free to email me at ladyequinox@hotmail.com. If you want to see this story come out faster you could email me daily urging me on, or, even better you could add me to your MSN and every time I log on you could say "YOU SHOULDN'T BE HERE YOU SHOULD BE WORKING ON DRAGON'S BAIT!" or something to that extent. Of course if you want to talk to me on MSN you'll have to initiate the conversation yourself. Once again if you see any mistakes please email me and I'll fix those as fast as I can. Please be kind and leave a review.