Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon's Future ❯ Best Friends ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1: Best Friends

Yukari crept to the edge of the roof and leaned over dangerously far, trying to see into the window of the room below.  She couldn't quite see, but she could hear clearly.

"What in the name of fortune where you thinking?" boomed the voice of Sesston, King Van's chief samurai.  "Princess Yukari could have been badly injured!"

"We were just playing," Darvi grumbled defensively in response.  His back was to the window and Yukari could just see the fluffy black tip of his tail.  It was twitching back and forth slightly, but only just.  That told Yukari that Darvi was taking the samurai's dressing down to heart and she felt a spasm of guilt.  The game had really been her idea.

She moved carefully away from the edge and scurried back up the roof to the ridgeline.  Yukari was not going to let Darvi be punished alone.  She dashed along the top of the roof and leaped lightly down onto one of the aerial walkways.  A maid just crossing the walkway squealed in surprise and dropped the pile of folded laundry she was carrying.

"Sorry!" Yukari shouted over her shoulder as she hurried into the castle.  She raced along the hallway and burst into the room she had been spying on from above.  But once inside, she skidded to a halt in surprise.  She had not stopped to think that anyone else might be in the room.  She flushed as her father, her mother, Darvi's mother, Sesston, and three other samurai all turned to stare at her.  Yukari looked down in embarrassment at her inappropriately bare toes and was suddenly at a loss for words.

"Did you want something, Yukari?" he father, King Van, asked calmly.

"Umm… well…" she looked up and caught Darvi's eye.  The sight of him gave her courage.  "Darvi's telling the truth, but it was all my idea."  She faced her father boldly.

Her mother, Queen Hitomi, frowned.  "Were you eavesdropping from the roof, Yukari?"

Yukari turned bright crimson.  She had been chastised a thousand times for climbing around on the roof.  Well, at least this would take the focus off Darvi.  "I just wanted to know what was happening."

Merle, Darvi's mother, giggled and Hitomi threw her a dark glare.  Then she turned that glare on Yukari.

"Barefoot, climbing on the roof, and causing a stampede that nearly got you and Darvi trampled."  Hitomi listed off Yukari's crimes in a stern voice.

"I'm sorry," Yukari ventured hopefully.

"You'll be more than sorry, young lady," Hitomi replied angrily.  Then she rounded on Darvi.  "And don't think her confession lets you off.  Both of you will be doing laundry and beating rugs for the next ten days."

"Yes, mother."

"Yes, ma'am."

They both managed to sound appropriately subdued, but when Yukari met Darvi's golden-eyed gaze, she had to fight not to grin.  They both hated doing laundry, and beating rugs set them sneezing for the rest of the day, but Hitomi hadn't forbidden them to play together, the one punishment that would have truly hurt.  Yukari bowed and backed out of the room.  Darvi immediately scampered after her, but they stopped just outside the door and pressed up against the wall to hear what else was said.

"You shouldn't worry so much, Hitomi," Van said.  "Their escapades are really not that different from the trouble Merle and I got into when we were small."

"Maybe not," Hitomi replied.  "I would just feel better if she acted less like Merle."

"What?!" Merle growled.

"No offense, but Yukari is a princess.  She shouldn't be climbing around on the roof in her bare feet."

"She'll grow out of it, Hitomi, give her time.  She's only eleven."  Van's voice grew louder as he spoke, and Yukari realized he was approaching the door.  She grabbed Darvi's hand and they ran down the hall together, rounding a corner just in time to avoid being seen.  They dropped down onto their knees facing each other, still holding hands.

"Thanks, Yukari.  I thought I was really in for it this time."

"You're my best friend, Darvi.  I would never abandon you."

He grinned and she grinned back.  Then his ears twitched and he groaned.  "I hate laundry.  The soap makes my nose itch.  And beating rugs is worse."

"Yeah, but at least we get to do it together."

Darvi had been her best friend for as long as Yukari could remember.  She remembered crawling after him as a baby, trying to catch his tail.  She remembered holding his hand when she took her first steps.  And she remembered especially huddling in fear against the downy tan fur that covered his skin, with the soft silky mane of his auburn hair flowing warmly over her shoulders, while he held her to protect her from the terror of a thunderstorm.  Darvi was three years older than she was, but he never talked down to her or treated her like a baby.  He looked after her, protected her, and as often as not, got in trouble with her.  He was her best friend and constant companion.

Yukari was certain that as long as they were together, they were invincible.

Which was how they had ended up just barely avoiding getting trampled by the bison stampede they had caused.  Yukari thought it was a little unfair of them to blame Darvi for endangering her.  After all, she could have just flown out of the way.  But she hadn't, because she wasn't strong enough to carry Darvi when she flew, and she refused to let him face the stampede alone.  And they had gotten out of the way in time and none of the animals were injured, so she didn't understand why everyone had to make such a big deal out of it.

So she was a princess.  It was not like royal children were in short supply.  Her two younger brothers, Vulcan and Amano, were like their father: dedicated, serious and gentle-hearted.  They were also turning into exemplary swordsman; especially nine-year-old Vulcan, who trained with the samurai every day.  But six-year-old Amano loved to copy his older brother, so he was starting to spend almost as much time in the dojo as his brother.

And Queen Hitomi was expecting another child any day now.  Yukari knew that was why her mother's temper was so short.  The priests had forecast that she would have another daughter, and Yukari fervently hoped it would be so.  Maybe a proper, well-behaved princess would take everyone's mind off Yukari.

The legendary relationship between her parents intimidated Yukari a little bit.  Everyone knew the story of how Van and Hitomi's love for each other had saved Gaia.  In many people's minds, the strength of their marriage equated directly to the future of Gaia.  Each new child produced from their union was viewed as another pillar in the foundation of the heavens.  Yukari herself, as their firstborn, was looked upon with special favor, and when she had gotten old enough to understand that, it made her very uncomfortable.  Deep inside, she realized that was what made her behave so recklessly, but understanding that about herself didn't make her act any differently.

"I hope your mother has her baby soon," Darvi remarked, as if aware of her train of thought.  "Maybe it will make her less irritable."

"I doubt it," Yukari replied absently.  "We'll just have to try to keep out of trouble for a while."

Darvi lifted an eyebrow at her.  "We're not very good at that, you know."

"Yeah, I know."  Yukari chuckled.  "But we'd better try anyway, or we'll end up scrubbing floors, too."

"Ugh!"

"All right, you two, off to bed."  Van stood at the corner regarding them with an affectionate smile.

The two children scrambled to their feet.  Yukari hung her head and scuffed a bare toe on the floor.  "Mother isn't too mad at me, is she?"

"Your mother just worries about you, Yukari," Van replied.  He walked forward and rested his hands on her shoulders.  "You're getting older.  You need to start trying harder to behave like a princess."

Yukari made a face.  "You mean sitting around in frilly dresses and talking about sewing?"

Van laughed.  "I'd settle for not climbing on the rooftops barefoot."  He put his hand under her chin and studied her face.  "You look so much like Hitomi, and you have her spirit, but you do act an awful lot like Merle sometimes."  He glanced at Darvi.  "And I do not mean that as an insult.  Your mother is a special person, too."  He looked back at Yukari.  "But for your mother's sake, I do wish you'd try."

"I will, Father."  Yukari stared up at him earnestly.  "I don't want you to be ashamed of me."

"Never, my pet."  He waggled her chin gently.  "Now go to bed."

- - - -

Darvi walked Yukari back to her room before going to his own, just up the hall.  She hugged him goodnight as she always did, her slender body snuggled up tight against his.  Darvi rested his cheek on the top of her head.  Her hair was the same glossy black color as Van's, but it was extremely fine and smooth, like Hitomi's.  She also trimmed it fairly short, the way her mother did.  Darvi had always liked petting her hair.

When they had been very small, they had often slept together, curled up contentedly in each other's arms.  But Queen Hitomi had put a stop to that when Yukari turned eight.  Being a little older, Darvi understood why, but he still missed it.  He slept better with Yukari's body warming his chest and belly.

"You're purring," Yukari murmured.  "I wish you could stay with me.  I fall asleep faster when I can listen to you purr."

"You know we're not allowed."

"I know.  I just wish."

She gave him one last squeeze and went into her room.  Darvi walked down the hall to his own room, but paused for a moment when he realized the door was open and light was spilling out.  He tilted his head up slightly and scented the air.  It was Queen Hitomi.  Drawing a steadying breath, he stepped into his room.

Hitomi was sitting on the edge of his bed, looking uncomfortable.  He could see the baby moving and Hitomi put a hand on her side.  "Yukari moved this much, too," she huffed.

"I remember."

"You've been with her for her entire life," Hitomi said.  "She looks up to you, and I know you care about her."

"I would never let anything bad happen to Yukari, ma'am."

"I know."  She shifted uncomfortably, pushing on the side of her stomach again to make the baby shift.  "I don't blame you for what happened today, Darvi, but you are older.  I need you to try to be the voice of reason when Yukari suggests these little 'games'."

"I'm sorry, your majesty," Darvi hung his head guiltily.  "I just want to make her happy."

"I know you do, Darvi." Hitomi pushed off the bed and stood up.  "Yukari thinks I let you off easy today, and I did."  She gave him a stern look.  "But next time, I will separate you."

Darvi gulped.  "I understand."

"Good." Hitomi waddled to the door.  "Soon enough, I won't have time to keep after her and I can't ask Van to take the time to do it.  I need to be able to rely on you."

"I won't let you down, Queen Hitomi."

"Thank you, dear.  Good night."  She pulled the door closed behind her as she waddled out.

Darvi stared at the closed door unhappily.  He didn't doubt for a minute that Hitomi would do exactly as she said.  He didn't like thinking about being separated from Yukari.  They belonged together.