Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Eternal Love ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Four

Cracking an eye open, Van looked around, disoriented for a few moments. He had such a strange dream. Strange but oh so wonderful. A smile fell across his lips as he remembered it. He had been in such pain, wanting nothing more than to drown in darkness.

But then a light had shown, leading him from the darkness. A blessed light, one he never thought he'd ever see again.

Hitomi.

Her beautiful eyes had met his, cooling his fevered brow. Soothing his pain-wracked body. Tears filled his eyes and he wished he could go back into that dream. Losing her had been more painful than he ever thought possible.

Something brushed his face, taking with it his tears. He flinched, ready for anything. Nothing could hurt as much as losing her.

"Van...my sweet Van..."

The words penetrated his mind, but he couldn't comprehend. It couldn't be...he had been dreaming surely.

Hitomi smiled softly at his confused expression. Brushing his sweat-soaked hair from his face, she pressed a kiss to his forehead. He shivered, but whether from emotion or illness, he didn't know.

"Hush. It's all right. I'm here now." Hitomi whispered, pulling him into her arms. He shivered, his eyes wide in disbelief.

"Hitomi?!"

She smiled down at him, nodding. "Hai. It's me, Van. I'm here."

He shook his head, trying to pull away but he was still too weak from his illness. "It can't be...I saw you go home..."

"Hai, you did. But I came back."

"Why?"

"Do you really need to ask?" Hitomi whispered, brushing his face with her fingers. "Did you really think I wouldn't feel it? We are bound together Van. I've always felt your pain. Did you really think I'd stand by while you were hurting?"

He swallowed, raising a shaky hand to touch her cheek. "I tried...I tried to call you so many times..."

"I know. I don't know why we couldn't hear each other. But you'll never be alone again."

"But...your family..."

She smiled, shaking her head. "Mom knows how I feel. My life is here, with you."

"Hitomi..."

"Shhh..." She stopped any words he might have said, her lips lightly pressed against his. He closed his eyes, savoring the sweet touch. He'd dreamed of this for so long, never daring to hope it would come true.

For one sweet moment, they were lost in the wonder of their kiss. All thoughts abandoned them, save for the beauty of the moment. Nothing could intrude on this one, perfect moment of happiness.

The lovers suddenly moved apart, alarmed at the sound of a crash. The door slammed open and a whirlwind of fur flew in, glomping the pair on the bed.

"VAN-SAMA!!!!!!"

Hitomi giggled, watching as Merle poked him and he batted her away while burying himself under the covers. "Merle!!! Stop it!"

Jumping up and down on the bed, Merle giggled. "Van-sama!! You're better!!! Wai!!!"

Stifling her giggles, Hitomi took on a solemn expression. She bowed her and put her hand on Merle's head. "Cat, what are you doing in here?"

"Iiee!!! Hitomi!!! Leggo!" Merle batted Hitomi's hand off her head and glared. Hitomi just smiled sweetly.

Van poked his head out from under the covers and rolled his eyes. "I was better off without females."

"Oh?" Both Hitomi and Merle narrowed their eyes menacingly. They looked at each and nodded in unison. Each taking a pillow, they attacked.

Allen walked down the corridor to Van's chambers. Merle had run ahead of him and he had allowed her to go on. He was certain Van would be a great deal better than previously. He frowned, then ran into the room as piercing screams came from the King's chambers.

Slamming the door open, he drew his sword and prepared to attack any assailants.

He stopped, his mouth opened as he took in the sight before him.

Three figures on the massive bed were having a pillow fight. He blinked, taking in the figures of Merle, Hitomi and Van. All three seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely. He shook his head, sheathing his sword.

Approaching the bed, he plucked the first pillow out of the grasp of the nearest culprit. Van turned, only to have two pillows hit him in the face, sending him onto his back with a groan. "No fair! My weapon was stolen!"

"HA!" Hitomi smirked, winking at Allen. She then smacked Van in the face with her pillow again. Smiling, she clapped her hands together as if dusting them off. Grinning mischievously, she got up and sat down at a table, looking as innocent as new fallen snow.

Merle snickered, following Hitomi's example and scurrying over to the table.

Van groaned under the two pillows, poking his head out. Allen smirked. "Well, it looks like the might King of Fanelia has been downed by pillows. If only Zaibach had known..."

"Oh shut up!" Van growled, glaring at Allen. He huffed, running his fingers through his hair. He made a face. "Gah, I feel like shit. How long was I sick?"

"Sick or unconscious?" Allen asked, sitting in a chair next to the bed.

"Nani??!!!" Van blinked, looking from Allen to the girls at the table. Merle nodded sadly. Hitomi had a solemn look on her face.

Allen sighed. "You've been sick for three weeks. It started about a week after Hitomi went back home. You've been unconscious, in a delirium, for two days. People were starting to worry that you'd even survive."

"Oh." Van looked down, plucking the sheet covering him. "I didn't...realize I was that...sick."

"Yes, well. You were ever your obstinate self. Refused medical treatment. This might have been prevented." Allen chastised.

Hitomi shook her head from the table. "Iie. I...don't think so, Allen. I...think Merle was right. This was my fault."

"No!" "Hitomi, no!" "Na huh!!"

She smiled, blushing slightly. "I thank you, all three of you for your confidence. But I speak the truth. I should have known something like this would have happened. It just...never crossed my mind."

"What do you mean?" Van frowned, turning to look at her through touseled bangs.

"Simple. Almost since I've met you, Van, I've been able to sense when you're hurting. It wasn't nearly as strong as...before I left. The strongest time was right after I came back for the second time." She smiled lovingly. "When you came for me."

He flushed, fidgeting. She smiled again. "After that, I could actually feel your pain, your emotions. There's only one explanation for that."

Allen's eyes widened. "A bonding? Soulmates?"

Hitomi shrugged.

Mouth dropping open, Merle squealed. "Ohhh...that is so awesome! You guys are life mates!"

Van frowned. "Life mates? What is that, Merle?"

"Oi. You'd think with all that studying, you'd have learned something, Van-sama." Merle rolled her eyes. Hitomi blinked and Allen chuckled.

"What she means is this," Allen began. "Long ago, during the time of Atlantis, there were those who were called Lebens Gefaehrte[1]. It was said they were very strong, psychically. They were so strong, that others feared them. Feared the power they could command."

"You've got to be kidding! I never heard that!" Van retorted, staring at Allen in disbelief. "My mother was a Draconian, one of the descendants of Atlantis! She would have told me about something like that!"

"Are you so sure?" Allen challenged, turning a hard gaze on Van. "Let me finish before making any judgments."

Chastised, Van grumbled but nodded.

"As I was saying, they were very powerful. Singly, they were quite powerful. But together, their power doubled. You've seen how powerful Hitomi is. You've seen her power. Didn't she help you establish a link with Escaflowne? How could she have done that if not for this 'bond'?"

Allen looked to Hitomi, who fidgeted. "That might explain it. I have been feeling...out of sorts lately. Everything at home seemed meaningless. School, work...even my family. None of it seemed to be important to me."

"Hai...me too. The first week things were all right. But they gradually changed. Not even seeing Fanelia come back made me happy." Van admitted softly, looking down in shame.

Moving from her seat at the table, Hitomi sat on the edge of the bed. She lifted his head with her hand gently. "There's nothing for you to be ashamed of. Everyone here knows how much you love Fanelia. No one blames you."

He stared into her eyes and smiled gratefully.

Allen shook his head. "I think we've talked enough, Van. You still need your rest. We can discuss this later."

Van opened his mouth to protest, but Hitomi quickly covered it with her hand. "Allen's right. You don't have a fever, but you need too rest. You're still weak and you need to regain your strength."

Grumbling, Van sighed, as he laid back down. He glared at the room defiantly. Hitomi grinned, brushing his hair lightly. "Don't worry. I'll stay and watch over you as you sleep."

He smiled, burying himself into the covers. Allen took a hold of Merle and dragged her out. She glared, but eventually followed. Ushering her outside, he turned and smiled. Before closing the door behind him, he watched as Hitomi laid next to Van, his body covered in blankets and her arms around him protectively.


[1] In my search for an Atlantis equivalent, I found this. It's German for 'Life Mate.'