Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Lone Soul ❯ Return to Earth ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author's Note: Ah, yes, the very long ending. Enjoy this. I had a very hard time writing it...ah,well...*hums to the Cowboy Bebop music she's listening to* What are you still doing here? Start reading already!

"Lone Soul: Return to Earth"

Alseides. The burning red armor that craved blood. Dragonkin blood. It was rather disturbing to see their leader, strapped to a board, and being drained of blood. His moaning made chills creep down the Dragon Slayer's spines.
Jajuka turned away, disgust and obvious worry on his face. "This is going too far."
The Dragon's Special Forces agreed, casting worried glances over at Dilandau.
"Any word from Folken, Chesta?" Chesta merely shook his head, trying to tune out the low moans the echoed around them.
"I will kill each and every magician if Dilandau is permanently harmed," Ryuon announced boldly, not caring if the magicians heard or not. He served Dilandau, not Folken. And his loyalty was unwavering.
A scream sliced through the air, and the group of Dragon Slayers met each other's eyes silently. Would Dilandau survive this?

Gaddes rushed onto the main deck, distress clear in his eyes.
"Allen! The city of Torushina is being destroyed by the other armor," He said quickly, still reeling from this fact.
"Alseides has been revived?" Allen muttered, distressed. Rare anger ate at his handsome features, and he handed the wheel to Gaddes. "I'm going to send Van, and the girl to the city. If in fact, she is the Tsubasa no Kami, Escaflowne will appear again.
"Are you sure that's wise, Allen?"
He only smiled mysteriously in response.

Hitomi suddenly sat up, eyes gone blank and emotionless. Van only stared at her, as she walked up to the rail, and gazed into the distance at something he couldn't see or comprehend.
"Alseides is alive, and going more powerful by the second, Dragon King. Will you don Escaflowne, or shall I purge this world into darkness?" Van was taken aback. This was not Hitomi, it was something alien and powerful. Dark eyes bore into his, and he realized with a start, that this was the Tsubasa no Kami.
Kneeling before the Goddess, Van announced his loyalty. "As a descendant of the Dragon Clan, I will obey your wishes and eliminate anyone who opposes your will. Do you wish to protect this world from darkness?"
"I merely wish to see you fight, Dragon King. Defeat the pyromaniac Dilandau, and I will consider my decision," Hitomi said coldly, holding out a single hand. "Come, and let us see if you survive the night."
As soon as he placed his hand in her own, they both vanished with a flash of light. White feathers floated in the space they had previously occupied as if summoning them back.

Fire was ablaze everywhere in the city of Torushina. The occupants stood stunned at the state of their ruined city. Some were crying, and others cursed the Alseides as it continued it's destruction. Demonic laughter filled the air, and Dilandau grinned from inside the ancient armor.
"BURN! Burn to the ground!"

A pillar of light(1) descended from the sky, and everyone turned it's way in surprise.
Van blinked, trying to make the spots in his eyes disappear. The Tsubasa no Kami had transported them to Torushina. It was in ruins. Clearly, whatever had done this, was still present.
Hitomi reached into her pocket and pulled out a small pink stone, which glowed with an unnatural light. The stone rose in the air, as if moved by invisible hands. "I bid you come, Escaflowne. Consume the blood of the Dragon King, and fight your rival, Alseides!"
Eerie green mist surrounded the stone, and suddenly, Escaflowne stepped out of the shadows, crimson cloak wavering in the wind. A powerful aura radiated from it. Van stepped towards it, oddly drawn to the ancient armor.
It's chest opened up with an organic rip, and Van jumped inside, eyes meeting Hitomi's empty ones for a moment. He would survive this. The opening closed, and Van waited patiently in the darkness for whatever would come next.
A white wash of pain overtook him, sharp spikes had been driven into his neck. Escaflowne was feeding from him. Taking a deep, pain-filled breath, Van lifted his foot. The armor mirrored his movements exactly.
He was ready to fight, and he would not lose.

Dilandau grinned as he saw Escaflowne appear. He was already in a great mood, and this sent him straight into giddiness. Van wanted to play, did he? The rook was in position, and ready to knock down the King(2). Molding Alseides' arm into another weapon, he awaited Van's approach impatiently.

Hitomi watched with dead eyes, completely unafraid of Escaflowne as it came dangerously close to crushing her. New powers had awakened, and the girl had not yet gotten a hold on them. They controlled her.
Escaflowne reached behind it's back, and pulled out a short sword. Which was hoisted upwards, and the blade rushed out in a straight line towards the sky. Now, a dangerous sharp weapon was in Van's hands, and he knew how to use it.
Wicked laughter echoed from the Alseides' chamber. "I'll send you screaming into the pits of hell!" Dilandau screeched, as a rush of flames exploded and immersed Van in a wall of burning fire.
Escaflowne took a step back, reeling from the smoke. Van froze, realizing he'd seen this all before. In the land of Adon. His land.

On fire once again. Burning down to the very ashes. Smoke surrounded the child in the middle of it. Himself. Running through flames, trying to find any sign of life among the ruins. A slim hand under the remains of a house. A hand he could spot anywhere.
Weak muscles straining to lift heavy wood. Success, and yet total failure. His mother was not breathing. Her dead eyes looked up into the stars, and would never again cuddle him in her arms.
Grief. Everlasting grief. A voice! Someone was alive. Shock. His mentor Balgus was dead, and yet his decapitated head was talking. Repeating the same words over and over.
"Fight Van, fight!"

Van's eyes snapped open, and his sword caught Alseides by surprise as it ripped through the shoulder, missing the chamber by mere inches. Fight, Van would. Survive? That was an answer to leave to the fates.
He fought without thinking, letting his body take over, no longer caring if he held back or not. It was only the enemy in front of him, and nothing else. Grabbing Alseides' own weapon, Van stabbed it one of the legs, pinning it to the ground.

Dilandau cried out in fright, scrabbling to run from Alseides' chamber before he got killed. He succeeded in escaping, yet stealth was something to be desired.
He ran into legs. Human legs. Looking up, he met Hitomi's cold eyes, and froze. She smiled thinly, holding a hand out to him. "Dilandau, you have run from a fight you no longer consider important. You live your live in an illusion, my friend. You are not a true warrior. A real warrior is prepared for anything, even death."
"Tsubasa no Kami?" He gasped out, eyes growing wide. "Correct. Run, Dilandau. I am afraid I will not be able to held Van back. I know you treasure your life above anything else. Escape and go back to your precious Dragon Slayers. Rescue them from Dune's grasp before they are killed for selfless reasons."
Hitomi grabbed his hand roughly, pulling him up. "Go," She whispered, eyes closing as a flash of red light lit up the ruined city. When it cleared, Dilandau was gone.
Hitomi nodded to herself, and turned to face the frozen Escaflowne.
"Dragon King," She whispered softly, walking up to the armor without fear. She repeated the title, louder this time. "Dragon King! You have won the duel, step down and I will deliver my decision."
Grinding. The chamber opened up, and a bloodied Van fell to the ground. Barely conscious, he looked up into Hitomi's eyes. No, the Tsubasa no Kami's eyes. "What happens now?"
A small smile spread across the Goddess's face. "What do you think happens now, Van? The opposing side was defeated, and I feel them unworthy of having their wish granted. But you, dear Dragon King won, and your desire will be fulfilled. What is your desire, Van?"
Darkness threatened to overwhelm him. "Peace," He muttered, falling into the void of unconsciousness.
Hitomi nodded, not noticing the pair of dragon armors disappear into a turquoise mist around her. She collapsed alongside Van, a moment later, exhaustion clear in her eyes.

Sora opened her eyes. The Tsubasa no Kami had made her decision. Now, it was up to Sora to carry it out. The elf-like woman looked to Folken-sama sadly, hoping he would be happy with this decision.
Singing softly, the walls of the fortress began to crumble. Folken looked over at her in alarm. "Sora, did the Tsubasa no Kami make her decision?"
A mere nod was all he got in reply. "Will this world vanish or will it be reborn?" He was not afraid of the answer. Considering the crumpling fortress around him, he already knew the answer.
"She chose peace, Folken-sama. I am sorry," Sora said calmly. "Her desires greatly differed from your own."

Peace. The word was so alien, that most inhabitants refused to believe it at first. But when the first grass began to grow from the ruins of destroyed countries, the reaction greatly differed in a week's time. The land of Gaea was healing. It was the Goddess of Wings' will, and it was still being done.

Hitomi looked unto the sunset in awe, silently thinking she never wanted to leave this world. "Hey, Van?" Hitomi asked, twisting around to look at him. "How long do you think I can stay here?"
He remained silent for a moment, then stood up and walked over to her. "Until the Mystic Moon calls you back again," He replied, placing a hand on her shoulder, and smiling at her. "I'll stay with you by your side in the meantime."
Hitomi smiled, fingers flexing nervously as Van lifted her chin to met his eyes. She knew what was coming, and didn't want to screw it up. "Than-"
Lips met her own. It was gentle, and not at all what she expected. She had anticipated quick and hard. But no, this was totally different. The kiss seemed to go on forever, until finally, it ended. And began again.
They didn't want to let go of this moment. Both knew it wouldn't last long.
Hitomi pulled away, ears straining to hear some silent sound. "I can hear her, Van. She's singing that sad song again..."
Van watched in awe as something white began to gather on Hitomi's back. White wings sprouted a moment later, and as soon as he blinked, she was gone. White feathers glittered the air around Van, and he smiled sadly as he looked on the night sky. The Mystic Moon was gone. Hitomi had gone home.


A week later, in Tokyo...
Hitomi walked aimlessly around the mall, enjoyed the chatter of voices around her. Yukari was supposed to meet her in an hour, so she had time to kill until then. Finding a seat, she sat down, a smile glued to her face. She was happy with her life now. She seemed to have found her groove.
The grin faded a moment later, when she saw a tall couple. A businessman with long silver hair and gold eyes glanced over his shoulder, then tapped the woman on his arm quickly, whispering in her ear quietly.
The woman turned her way, lifting a pale hand to wave. Her sad features lifted, and a smile bloomed on the woman's face. A single line of song dropped from her lips and entered Hitomi's ears.
"Anata wa saisho no ryuu datta."
Hitomi's eyes went wide, and she watched as Folken and Sora disappeared in the crowd. She had seen them, haven't she?

FINI

(1) Why, oh why am I reminded of Rayearth because of this? Ah, well. What's done is done.
(2) Chess references. *lol* I kill myself sometimes...

Note: There, you've finished it. Hopefully, you won't kill me for it. -_~ Reviews will be cherished and stashed in memory to write another like this. See ya later, cowboy!