Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Love from Ashes ❯ The Traitorous Duke ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Escaflowne or its charachtes.

I don't know why I started another fanfic when I have yet to finish my other one. Well, that's ok. This one popped into my head at 11:30 p.m. so I wrote it out. Hope you enjoy.
________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________
Chapter One
The Traitorous Duke

In a serene valley a small town lay under the brilliant blue sky. Its streets were crowed with people busily moving about their day. Shop keepers opened their stores and peddlers laid out their goods on their carts. Rich and poor alike went from one cart to another or from one store to another buying the things they required or just wanted. To the inhabitants of this small town the day was rather normal, though this would not remain so for long. Little did these people know but they were soon to receive very unwanted company.

Watching the town from a distance were a group mechanical giants. They stood shielded from sight silently anticipating their chance to move in. Soon their orders came. The great giants removed their cloaks and preceded to enter the town. People rushed about in sudden fear. One man found the courage to run to the center of the city where a large house rested. Not bothering to knock, the man rushed through the doors. He preceded through the house till he reached the study.

"My duke, forgive my sudden intrusion of your home but Zaibach guymelefs have just entered our town." A richly clothed man nodded his understanding and immediately made his way out of his fine home. He felt suddenly quite small as he stared up at the guymelefs that stood before his estate. One after another the guymelefs released their pilots. From the blue guymelefs young men in black leather overlaid in blue armor landed smoothly on the ground and lined up. The richly clothed man swallowed hard as the cockpit of the blood red 'melef hissed open. This pilot wore a similar uniform to the others save the overlaying armor was red. The red 'melef pilot walked boldly, perhaps even a bit arrogantly, towards the richly clothed man.

"I am Duke Edvaris." The richly clothed man greeted.

"How may we assist you?"

"You may assist us by giving us some much needed supplies." The red pilot motioned one of the young men behind him to step forward. The sandy blonde haired boy handed a sheet of paper to the duke, who looked it over carefully.

"Yes, of course we will do everything in our power." The duke handed the list to a servant.

"And you could also tell us which person in this pathetic little town decided to betray their country." The duke froze and his eyes widened with shock.

"I'm sorry. I am afraid I don't understand." The red pilot smiled sadistically.

"Oh you don't? Well, let me help you understand. We received information that a certain duke had sent classified secrets to Austoria. These classified secrets were found being transported by a group of traders."

"What makes you think that they were sent from here?" The red pilots eyes narrowed.

"Because your signature was on the papers." The youth paused for a moment a wicked grin curving his pale lips.

"So now if you'll excuse us, we have a town to burn." As he spoke, a floating fortress appeared above the youth's head. Fear captured the heart of the duke.

"Wait please. You can have anything you want if you'll spare our lives!"

"Humph. You have nothing that could possibly interest me." The youth turned to leave. The duke searched his mind frantically for something to bargain with.

"My lord if I may, but I have something that might interest you a great deal." The red 'melef pilot turned back to face the traitorous duke.

"And what might that be?" He sneered. The duke turned to one of his servants and whispered something into his ear. The servant quickly ran into the house. The youth adopted a look of irritation. Within moments the servant returned followed by a young girl. The youth's red gaze locked onto the girl.

"Her?" The duke nodded. There was no mistaking the youths sudden interest. The youth motioned the servant to bring the girl closer. Taking the young girl by the arm, the servant led her towards the red 'melef pilot. His red gaze swept over the girl as he walked around her. She was no more than fifteen. Her shoulder length ebony hair was streaked through with dark red highlights; her porcelain skinned shoulders were made evident by her off the shoulder dress. The youth stopped his circling to stand in front of the trembling girl. He reached out a gloved hand and tilted the girl's chin so she would meet his gaze. Terrified violet eyes met his red gaze.

"I trust she interests you, Lord Dilandau?" The young general turned to one of his 'slayers and motioned him to take the girl. The duke sighed with relief as the dragonslayer climbed into his Alsedies, and using a crima claw, took the girl to the floating fortress. Dilandau and the rest of the dragonslayers climbed into their own guymelefs.

"That was very low of you, Duke Edvaris. Trading a young girl for your precious town. To bad I'll have to destroy it anyways." The duke had no chance to argue as the group of dragonslayers preceded to burn the entire town, starting with the duke and his home.
_________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Maniacle laughter floated from the ground to the huge floating fortress that hung in the sky. A pair of violet eyes stared down at the carnage that was once a town. Tears pooled in her eyes and rolled down her cheeks as she watched the guymelefs spray fire across everything. The flames consumed everything and everyone in their path. The insane laughter thundered in her ears sending a chill down her spine.

"Miss, you should come with me." The girl turned her attention to the boy that had brought her aboard the Zaibach floating fortress. He had light brown hair and hazel eyes. She glared darkly at him.

"So this is how the emperor treats his citizens." The boy's eyes narrowed.

"This is how we deal with traitors." He stated firmly. Without another word, he grabbed her by the arm and dragged her out of the guymelef bay. The boy led her down a twist of hallways that all looked the same as the next. After awhile he stopped infront of a door. He opened the door and dragged the violet eyed girl into a well furnished room.

"You will remain here." With that said, he turned around and left. Now completely alone, the girl took in her surroundings. There was a four post bed made of ebony and covered in dark blue, a black dresser, and a small table next to the bed. She opened one of the two doors inside the room and found a small empty closet. Opening the other door led her to a washroom. She then started opening the dresser drawers and discovered they to were empty. *Great, I guess I'm stuck in this dress.*

The girl sat down on the large bed and looked around the room again. A feeling of helplessness washed over her as she sat there. Silently she wondered just what they planned on doing with her.
__________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

"Your orders were to kill the traitor. It wasn't necessary to torch the whole town."

"I know. But it was so much fun." Dilandau said from his position on his throne. He swirled the wine lazily in the glass a smirk planted on his pale lips.

"Honestly Strategos, you should just let me do my job and stop nagging." The light blue haired man eyed the teenager tiredly. This was not the first time that the silver haired boy had chosen to go overboard with his orders. And once again Folken had to try to cover up another senseless slaughter. He opened his mouth to make another comment, but was cut off by the arrival of one of the dragonslayers.

"What is it Miguel?" Dilandau inquired.

"Sir, I was wondering if you would like to speak to the girl now."

"What girl?" Folken turned back to the red eyed boy his eyes narrowed in warning.

"Bring her here." Miguel bowed and then made his way out. Dilandau stared into the crimson liquid his eyes glittering.

"You won't believe it Strategos, but the duke actually tried to by me off. He offered me some girl in exchange for his life and the town." His pale lips curved into a mocking grin.

"But you destroyed the duke and the town. So why is she here?"

"Well, she was really such a pretty thing. It would have been a waste to leave her there when I 'torched' the place." Just as he finished, Miguel returned leading a young girl. He guided her to the center of the room where both Folken and Dilandau could see her. She was probably no more than fifteen, just a year younger than Dilandau. Her ebony and dark red hair fell to her small shoulders; violet eyes peered nervously at the two men. An off the shoulder dress of light blue clung to her slender frame. She was a very beautiful young woman.

"Do you know where you are?" The young general questioned. The girl's violet eyes came to rest on Dilandau.

"Yes, I do."

"And do you know who we are?" Her eyes darkened.

"The murderers of an inoccent town." Dilandau grinned.

"True. But do you know our names?" She shook her head.

"I am General Dilandau Albatou, leader of the dragonslayers and this is Folken Strategos." Her eyes widened in recognition.

"What is your name?" Folken inquired kindly. Dilandau rolled his eyes at the older man's politeness.

"Kylia Edvaris."

"Any relation to Duke Jezard Edvaris?" Folken asked.

"He ' was' my father." The light blue haired man's mask slipped as this statement registered in his mind. Surprise painted itself on his features. Dilandau actually laughed. The girl's eyes narrowed hatefully.

"Edvaris traded his own daughter. The man was far more low than I gave him credit." The albino general continued to laugh until a glint of silver caught his eye. He moved aside just as the silver came rushing at him. Folken's eyes widened at the dagger embedded where Dilandau's head had just been. Gloved fingers wrapped around the hilt of the dagger and ripped it out of the back of the throne. Dilandau rose slowly eyes blazing at the girl and hand gripping the thrown weapon. She remained in the center of the room glaring defiantly at his approaching form. There was a loud smack as the young general's hand connected sharply with the girl's face. The girl stumbled slightly but managed to remain on her feet. He was about to start yelling, however, Folken decided to interrupt.

"Miguel, you may escort the young lady back to her room." Dilandau spun on Folken glaring viciously. Miguel looked from one to the other before approaching the girl. Once again he grabbed her by the arm and escorted her away.

"How dare you interfere!"

"I don't want the girl harmed, Dilandau."

"Technically, I can do whatever I want with her. She is ' my' property now." He growled.

"She may be your ' property' but she is also a noble of Zaibach. You are not to harm her." Dilandau glared at the retreating back of the former sorcerer. *She will pay for that.*