Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ The Call ❯ Six ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The days passed and soon turned into weeks. As Hitomi grew stronger she started walking for short distances then longer as Millerna gave her OK. A relief from the chair, she was glad to be up and about and after weeks of intensive work she was still in a lot of pain as she walked but she was well on her way to healing.

Like Merle she tended to avoid Narine, as the princess had done nothing more than give her trouble as she worked to regain herself. Never having met Narine in her past made getting to know Narine this visit a first time event for her and a troubling one at that.

Once a day Van would track her down and they would go for a walk about the palace grounds, usually in one of the gardens so that she could go outside and still be around friendly faces if she needed help in any way. These walks were almost pleasant for her were it not for the fact that when she hit full stride in her walk she would have to back off in a gasp of pain.

Van was rather attentive to her during these walks and as she had a moment or two to look she was able to see that he was troubled deeply by her lack of memory of any of them. But as she looked deeper into his eyes she saw another emotion there for her. One that almost scared her, as she knew that he was engaged and now knew that he did not love Narine and never would.

As they continued to work with her, Millerna hit upon something in one of her books that came to be a solution for Hitomi's pain. Indeed one of her nerves had been pinched in her back and as she walked it was the cause of her pain. Now, when she was relaxed in the morning Gaddes would come in and pick her up by her elbows he would stand on his toes and drop to his heals sharply.

The result was a pop that scared everyone the first time but infinite relief for Hitomi as she walked about. As she went through this everyday she found that each morning there was a smaller pop in her back, as if it was training back into its rightful place.

This was much to the relief of Millerna, as she knew that she had tried to make certain that everything was set properly during the surgery to set her back when she first came, and as Hitomi found relief she started jogging. The sight of her in her running shorts and t-shirt running around the fountain square became familiar as she trained harder and longer now to regain the speed and stamina she remembered having before what ever hit her.

To her surprise a couple weeks later, Millerna pronounced her fit and ready to be taken out of her direct care. She was still to continue her work in her exercises but she could do it as she needed to. Hitomi nodded and smiled grateful for the lapse in guards now about her.

She knew that she was constantly watched still, but as long as she couldn't see who was watching her she did not have a problem with it. Merle still came and visited with her and Van continued his walks with her. To him they were a break in his day and a way to visit with the woman he still loved. To Hitomi they were a way to talk to him and to learn more about this young king that she had supposedly put in his place more times than anyone else.

Time passed and Hitomi realized that she had started to care for the king deeply. Van too saw the signs of her affections but did not call attention to them. Hitomi had been on Gaea over six months and her recovery was all but complete. Millerna was worried about Hitomi's memory loss and from what the young woman had told her, there was no problem with her memories now and she should be able to recover her old memories. The only question left was when.

Van had weaseled out of her when her birthday was and so when the day came that corresponded with her Earth birthday he, Merle and Allen threw her a party. It was a small affair with the people that she had known in her previous visit to Gaea.

Chid, Millerna, Dryden, Allen, Van, Celena, Merle, and several others were allowed at the party that was held in the central garden. As she walked around in a new dress that the seamstresses had finished that day, she was told by several people that she was stunning. Van had even provided for some music and as the palace folk came into the garden they started dancing and so did everyone else.

Hitomi noticed that there were several dances that Van took with Narine and she could only nod to herself. ~It's only right that he should be paying attention to her. I mean she is his fiance.~ she thought to herself.

As she sat out for a dance she was content to watch her friends dance. Chid had grown in many ways as well as physical and she let the faint ghost of a smaller boy float through her mind. She watched Allen and Celena dance before they paired off with other people and watched in amusement as Gaddes pulled Merle off her seat and onto the dance floor despite her protests.

She was so busy watching everyone else that she didn't notice that Van had walked up to her side and was sitting next to her until she looked back. Jumping slightly she noticed the small smile on his face as he stood up and offered his hand to her for a dance.

A little nervous as she barely remembered how to dance from her childhood she accepted his offer and as they went out to the dance floor she was happy that she had so many people around that liked her for who she was. The music began softly and it was a slow song that reminded her of so many things that she wanted to remember.

The dance seemed to go on forever in Hitomi's mind but in reality it was only a few minutes. Van was struck with her beauty as the dress had been cleverly made to bring out her figure and her eyes. The eyes he wanted most to just let himself drown in. As they walked off the dance floor Van took Hitomi off to a quieter corner of the garden before he spoke with her.

He was taller and stronger than he was when she had last been there and it only enhanced his natural athletic grace in her eyes. He gentle touches when they were together had stirred something in her that she swore at one point in her life she would never be able to feel again. When they had stopped moving she noticed that he wasn't wearing his leather gloves tonight but instead was looking resplendent in the dark suit he had chosen to wear.

For a long moment they simply stood there gazing into each other's eyes before Van broke the spell by speaking softly. "Hitomi. I know that you are still in there, and you know that I am due to be married to Narine in just under a month. But." He caught himself and then continued. "But I can't let go of the fact that I love you Hitomi."

The words caught her off guard and she stood shock still like a deer in the headlights before Van brought her out of her shock. As his hand gently caressed her face she leaned into the touch, savoring its feel before Van drew his hand away. The movement of him leaving her sent a shock through her system and the veil that separated her memories flapped wildly in her mind and was suddenly torn asunder.

Everything was there. All of her memories of Gaea and of Van. The sudden impact of all that had happened and all that she had seen and learned about herself and others on her last visit came to the front of her mind like a freight train and sent her reeling to her knees.

Van gently lifted her up and took her out of the garden. Her speech had been taken in the shock for the time being but he had a very good idea through his link with her of what was happening. Instead of compounding her shock with seeing all of the people at once, he simply carried her up to her room and laid her down in the bed.

She was so beautiful and so precious to him that he knew that when she had re-assimilated all of her memories there would be some long talks with everyone to get some things mapped out and squared around. Van would wait for that time as he had just been given fresh hope about Hitomi's future. A future that he had wanted to share with her for a long time.

Back down in the party Narine had seen Van pick up Hitomi and leave the party. Before then she had been dancing with Allen and surprising enough she had been dancing with Chid. As she left the dance floor she watched as Van left with a wide-eyed Hitomi and could only wonder what he could have said to put her in that state.

"Well I am just going to have to talk to him about that. There is no way that commoner is going to ruin my wedding." Muttering to herself she set off in the opposite direction of the party and didn't look back. She had attended out of niceties and now that she was certain that this girl was going to upset her wedding with Van, she didn't feel the need to stay.

Her leaving was not unnoticed as Merle watched the woman leave. However she knew that Hitomi was more than able to fend for herself again and she had a feeling that since she hadn't seen Van around in the last few minutes that he would be with her as well.

Relaxing some she headed to the punch bowl and got herself a drink before sitting back and watching the party last long into the night while thinking of the things that would and could happen when Hitomi got her memories back.

As Van tucked Hitomi into her bed; he didn't even bother helping her get dressed into her nightclothes. He got her settled and then sat pack in the chair that was situated by the bed from the days when he would watch over her for hours on end. Watching her she stirred out of her shock and looked over at him. "Don't leave me Van." She whispered, the old spark that used to light up her eyes slowly returning as she tried to calm down.

Smiling gently he reached over and took her hand. "Never. I promised to protect you Hitomi and I am going to do just that."

The girl from the mystic moon smiled as she looked up at him. "I remember, and you kept that promise even when I didn't remember." She found herself steadying as she focused on one memory and then the next, making the associations and the emotional links again.

She wanted to tell him more but as she opened her mouth to speak Van silenced her with a gentle finger on her lips. "It can wait until the morning. Rest, I will be here to watch over you."

The softly spoken promise reassured her and as she let herself drift off to sleep she found herself wondering at the gentleness that he had shown her for the time she had been here before the dark wings of the night carried her off to sleep.