Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ The Call ❯ Seven ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The next morning dawned bright and clear as Hitomi woke up, she looked over and saw Van sitting in the chair he had taken up last night watching her and smiling. "Did you get any sleep last night?" She murmured as she stretched and sat up a little.

Van hadn't even taken the time to change out of his clothes that he had worn to the party before staying with her through the night. "A little," he replied. "I was mostly to busy watching you to sleep though." He smiled as she reached across the bedspread to take his hand and squeeze it lightly.

They sat like that for several moments in the sunlight enjoying each other's company and the sunlight as it poured it golden rays into the open window.

"Van, I do need to tell you something." She immediately had Van's complete attention as she continued with his encouragement. "Van, even when I didn't remember you and the others I had this feeling that this marriage with Narine is wrong for you some how."

Hitomi never had a chance to explain why she felt that way when the princess herself stormed into the room with out knocking startling both Van and Hitomi with the crash of the door.

Her eyes blazed as she walked in and spoke to Hitomi. "How dare you try to interrupt a wedding of state?" She nodded in the barest of civilities to Van as she stood ramrod strait as she took a defensive position to protect her position in the palace.

Van's once warm sienna eyes turned a cooler shade of brown as he looked to the princess. His voice was low and almost dangerous as he spoke to Narine. "Did Merle not inform you that I did not wish to be disturbed while I am with Hitomi, Narine?"

Gaddes woke up to a rough shaking that morning and mumbled as he rolled over trying to avoid a headache.

"Gaddes get up. I know that Van-sama and Hitomi are together, however I can't find Narine anywhere. She isn't in her quarters and the servants haven't seen her yet this morning." Merle's insistent voice got him up as he listened to the fact that Narine was no where to be found he was up in a flash and dressing as the cat woman had her back turned to him.

"I do not want to find out what happens if she finds Van and Hitomi together and corners them." Merle muttered.

She found her nose tapped lightly by Gaddes's finger as he smiled. "You know you're cute when you get all worried like that."

The Guard Captain moved lightly out of the room towards the kitchen to get something to eat first leaving a stunned Merle alone in his room before she reacted with a muttering about guard captains and young boy flirts being one and the same before she moved out of the room.

Narine snorted at the mention of the cat woman that seemed to have more power than her in the palace. "That one, she is nothing more than a commoner like your precious Hitomi. She was born of low rank and there she shall stay." Her eyes narrowed dangerously almost daring Van to contradict her.

Van noticed this and ignored the look for now. "You aren't wanted here Narine. Leave and when I am finished here I will speak with you later about Hitomi and Merle about their place in the palace."

Van dismissed her but Narine would have none of that. "Oh we will talk now Van. For when we are married in less than a month both that cat woman pet of yours and this freak of nature that you choose to coddle," She gestured to Hitomi. "Will be living in the city proper as befitting their low rank and standing."

Van had no chance to react to that statement as his face dropped to a stone mask Hitomi snapped. "Gaddes!" Her sharp voice rang through out the palace.

Gaddes knew that the king and Hitomi could take care of themselves but as far as he knew, he couldn't trust Narine as far as he could throw the Crusade. He was already finished with breakfast and already headed up to Hitomi's room knowing that the king would have taken her there and was brought to a full run by Hitomi's sharp calling of his name.

"She sounds upset, I hope Narine hasn't done something she's going to regret." He thought to himself as he ran into the room to see Van in the chair at Hitomi's bedside and Narine advancing on Hitomi.

Moving quickly he took Narine by the arm knowing full well that if a fight were to break out that Hitomi would not hold back. "Princess Narine, you will come with me now." He told her in a cold and professional tone.

Narine was so taken by surprise at Gaddes's entrance that she didn't struggle as she was removed from the room.

Hitomi looked at Van and breathed a sigh of relief and squeezed Van's hand again. He looked at her and smiled softly as he thought out loud. "I am starting to see what you mean by a missed match."

Hitomi started her stretching exercises in the bed while Van watched and both were surprised at Gaddes's reappearance into the room with a red welt starting to puff out on his face in the shape of a hand. Knowing Gaddes's tolerance for physical violence against him Van started. "Gaddes you didn't."

"No, I did not hit her in return for this lovely gift." He winced as the skin pulled some. "I will be blunt with you though. If you marry that wench, I quit."

Hitomi slid out of bed and taking her basin to the washroom she poured some cool water in and took one of her cloths and returned to the room to set Gaddes down and treat the wound.

As he nodded his thanks to Hitomi for her kindness he continued to let her treat him as he looked at Van. "However, if you marry this kind lady I would gladly serve for the rest of my natural life."

Hitomi blushed several shades of red as she finished applying the compress. The swelling had gone down some and the Captain no longer looked like he had been hit with something harder than the princess's hand. Putting the cloth and basin away she stepped back out into the bedroom as one of the tower guards raced in almost out of breath.

"Van-sama Gaddes-san, a battalion of troops has been sighted along our border lead by the flagship from the Eastern lands. Lord and Lady Chalon wish to speak with you immediately."

Van nodded and merely brushed off the jacket he had been wearing and headed out. "Hitomi," He turned to her just before he left. "Get into something for the audience chamber. I am going to get this problem fixed now."

As he left Gaddes headed for his chambers to get dressed in his uniform while Hitomi called in two of the maids that had been assigned to her and explained what was needed. She took a quick bath and by the time she was finished with her scrub the pair had laid out her court things.

Dressing quickly with their help, her sash in the colors of a royal court advisor was pinned into place just as Merle walked into the room in her own court garments. The two of them were going to be needed there, as this was a pivotal moment in these times. The audience chamber was ready and they would need to be there before Lord and Lady Chalon showed.

Walking together they agreed that Narine would probably go home with her parents, if the situation was explained properly. From all that the two of them had heard, the parents of that impetuous girl were well read individuals and would most likely listen to reason and understand who Hitomi was.

As they entered the audience chambers they positioned themselves at Van's sides. Gaddes was out with the diplomatic corps welcoming the rulers of the Eastern lands and bringing them to the palace. Hitomi was seated on Van's right and Merle to his left and as they looked up at him they both could only wonder what this meeting would bring.