Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ The Call ❯ Eight ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sitting in the audience chamber Hitomi got her first glimpse of the Lord and Lady Chalon when they entered the far end. Their calm demeanor stood well with her as she watched them with the Diplomatic Guard. She looked at Gaddes and nodded ever so slightly to him to let him know that all was ready from this end and that all he had to do was be ready for any changes that would come up in the talks.

He acknowledged her, Merle and Van before standing to the side between the Chalons and Van's court. As he announced Lord Dero and Lady Karis, they each intoned the ritual words of friendship each meaning them sincerely.

The Chalons of the eastern lands had done much for Fanelia during the reconstruction period after the war. Sending men and women to help rebuild the ravaged country that was one of the first to fall to Zaibach Empire of those times. In return trade was swift and plentiful between the countries as Van helped to rebuild other countries and in this manner winning numerous trade agreements in the process.

Van looked to Hitomi and Merle to start the meeting and Hitomi did the honors. "We of the Kingdom of Fanelia are pleased to welcome the Lord and Lady Chalon of the Eastern Lands. As we proceed with the talks it is our sincere wish that all sides are at peace."

Lady Karis nodded at the welcome and wondered why Van had not announced who his advisers were. She recognized Lady Merle from their previous meetings when they arranged for the wedding of their daughter to Van. However the other woman that sat on Van's right side was a complete mystery to her as her mannerisms almost screamed out foreigner.

Merle observed Hitomi and was surprised at the almost distant look in the girl's eyes. As she looked up to Van she saw that he had noticed it as well. As they watched the proceedings they realized that she was calling on knowledge of the Fanelian court proceedings that she could never have observed before.

Hitomi let her thoughts wander for the time being letting the spirits of those she had encountered in the past here guide her as she spoke for the Fanelian contingent. Having been alerted by her sixth sense of watchers she quietly kept her counsel and spoke one more time. "Lord and Lady Chalon. May I suggest that we adjourn to the conference chambers for your comfort?"

Both Van and Merle had not expected this but held their peace as they realized that she must have sensed something that would have put her on alert. "Thank you for your kind offer Advisor, we would graciously accept Fanelia's hospitality." Lord Dero spoke.

Merle looked to Gaddes and nodded. "Please prepare the conference chamber, security and meals in case this runs into the evening hours."

Gaddes nodded slightly and with Van's leave he took off to make the preparations. The Fanelian and Eastern Lands contingents walked at a slower pace to give Gaddes time to complete the preparations and for Van and Lady Karis to catch up on the recent trade changes.

By the time they were all installed into the conference chamber Hitomi knew that Lady Karis was a diplomat and Lord Dero was a skilled warrior. The pair was unbeatable in negotiations except where Fanelia was concerned. In this country, Van held sway over what happened and as he had learned his ambassadorial skills over the year she had been gone she discovered that he was a shrewd negotiator when his feelings did not enter into things.

Lord and Lady Chalon having already known this kept him as a friend and treated him very carefully when it pertained to negotiations between their two countries. "My apologies for not introducing my advisers right away." Van started out with out preamble.

"This as you both already know is Lady Merle, a trusted friend from my youth, and to my right is Lady Hitomi Kanzaki, trusted friend and ally to Fanelia in the times of the Great War." Hitomi stood as Merle did and nodded her head to the Chalons. Eying them carefully she found that she liked them and could see why Van had them as allies.

"Lady Hitomi, we have heard of your exploits against the Zaibach and are honored to finally meet you." Lord Dero echoed the sentiments complimenting her on her crucial role in bringing peace to Gaea.

"As it is a pleasure to meet those that have gained Van's trust in my absence." She replied and then continued. "Please, we have no wish to waste your time here so shall we move into the reason you have come?"

"Ahem, yes, well we received a letter from our daughter detailing several slights against her rank and position in the Fanelian Country." Van laid a hand on both of the women beside him and spoke up.

"If you will forgive the intrusion, what are these slights against her? I assure that none of us here or anyone in the palace have slighted her intentionally." Smiling slightly to reinforce his sincerity he noticed that Lord Dero was not going to buy this until he heard the full explanation.

"The first slight she mentioned was your lack of attention to your fiance Van. She mentioned that this started after Lady Hitomi came to this world again." Lady Karis started playing her role and ready to listen to whatever these people would have to say.

"I see," Van said softly and then spoke louder. "When Lady Hitomi came back to Gaea she came back in my arms literally as she had been hit by something she calls a car on the Mystic Moon. She was asleep for a little over two weeks after Princess Millerna employed her arts as a doctor to save her life."

"If I have slighted Princess Narine in my vigil over Hitomi-san, a woman that I have admired and cared about since before the last battle of the war, then I guess I am guilty." There was no shame at what he had done in his voice as he calmly explained the situation to his fiance's parents.

Van's warm and usually expressive eyes became more so when he spoke of Hitomi and his feelings for her before they cooled and dropped into an unreadable state. Dero and Karis noticed this and understood completely. They had seen him like this before when he spoke of Hitomi, and his eyes never warmed as he talked of Narine.

"Also Van, There was the slight against the princess by Lady Merle." This time Merle looked up and controlled herself as she answered for her own charge.

"Lord and Lady Chalon, I only barred her way to Hitomi-san's chambers while she was asleep, Van-sama had standing orders that he did not wish to be disturbed when he was with Hitomi at the time and upon relaying them she struck me upon the face and insulted my breeding. Yes I was upset, but I did nothing to her as she threatened me. Gaddes, Guard Captain, can vouch the story as he was there and saw the whole thing."

Merle fell silent under the unwavering gaze of the Chalons but her bearing was proud and not the least bit repentant for what ever may have happened as she merely did her job. They could see this and upon glancing at Gaddes who was just to the inside of the door they saw that he completely corroborated the story as the source of the welt on his cheek became uncomfortably clear.

"We did not know that Narine had fallen back on her high handed ways to gain purchase here in your lands." Dero spoke softly almost in apology.

"We had trained her to be a diplomat but her brothers spoiled her in her younger days and I am afraid that it lead to a high handed and intolerant attitude towards those she perceives as inferior to her." Karis continued.

"Neither Merle nor myself were injured in her high handed ways Lord and Lady Chalon, however if a fight had broken out I fear that both Merle and I both have more real battle field experience than would be healthy for us in any other time. It would have lead to... Complications." Hitomi stepped in and explained the situation from their point of view in her softened and calm voice.

"That being settled then," Dero looked at Hitomi in respect now that she had passed his own unspoken challenge. "Van, will you keep with your agreement with the Eastern Lands and allow the marriage to Narine continue?" He looked at his future son in law.

Merle bridled at the affront to her senses but Hitomi and Van caught her up by taking her hand to calm her and Hitomi spoke for herself now. "With all due respect. Even if Van were to allow the wedding to continue unfettered, I would not allow it." The Chalons gave her their undivided attention as her words surprised them.

"Continue Lady Hitomi, I am interested in why you do not see our daughter as a match for Van." Karis spoke.

"I will admit that my reasons for denying the wedding are going to sound selfish and perhaps they are, but I am going to speak plainly now.

Van doesn't love Narine, and it is obvious to those that have served her in the palace that she does not love Van, but instead covets the place she would have as Fanelia's queen.

It is also obvious she has no great love for the people of Fanelia; to have that would mean that she would not be so high handed with those of us in the palace. I will not go into great detail about this, but I have even heard complaints in the city proper about her.

Now I will go into the selfish reasons. I love Van, just as I love Fanelia and it's people. If I didn't feel the way I did I wouldn't have come back to Gaea, I also know that he feels the same way about me, otherwise he wouldn't have saved me."

Hitomi finished up her reasons and looked at Dero and Karis expectantly and was surprised at their response.

"Tell me Hitomi. Just how do you know about these emotions that Van supposedly has for you?" They watched the young king and were surprised at the change in him. The way he looked at her and in the way he stiffened at their accusations that his feelings weren't real.

Hitomi answered simply and lightly. "It's easy. People return your feelings."